Gray issue

Like Tree16Likes

Hi ALL.

I'll preface this by saying I'm about 80% gray (my last color dye was 4 years ago and completely out). I was once a full bodied 3B but not sure what I am now.

When I did color my hair - it loved protein. Now protein does nothing and I’m having a hard time finding what works. My current curl pattern is a mix of straggly curls and I think it has to do with the gray being more prevalent. My hair is in good condition else wise - not dry or frizzy.

In the last few months, I’ve cut my hair about 4 inches, switched up products, did cleansing washes, DT’s but still not able to get a decent curl formation.

Has anyone had a similar experience?
Clarification Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, VO5 Vanilla Mint Shampoo, BS/ACV Rinse
DT Pure Coconut Oil

*MAY is Celiac Awareness Month*
Get into the action and educate yourself
to help support those with
Celiac Disease or gluten sensitivities
as it's sadly
a modern day aliment for some many

Last edited by thosecurls; 05-05-2012 at 02:50 PM.
i found that for me, gray hair is very different, my hair needs different products. so i had to start my hair product search all over again.

maybe send in your gray hairs for an analysis with livecurlylivefree.com. it might make it easier then to figure out products.

and/or go to any gray hair threads and looks at people's signatures for hair like yours and see what products they are using.
curlypearl likes this.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
Thanks RBB - I agree that what once was good is not the same now. I've rotated products that didn't work before and still no luck. The more gray I become the less curl I achieve and maybe it's just the way it is now.

I haven't done the hair analysis but it sounds like a good idea so thanks again for your help.
Clarification Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, VO5 Vanilla Mint Shampoo, BS/ACV Rinse
DT Pure Coconut Oil

*MAY is Celiac Awareness Month*
Get into the action and educate yourself
to help support those with
Celiac Disease or gluten sensitivities
as it's sadly
a modern day aliment for some many

My hair is also different since starting to go grey. I'm 3B with more 3A mixed in now. The grey hairs are more coarse and stiff. But I"m still using the same products I've used since going CG 6-7 years ago. I still do some experimenting just for fun tho. And I still have more good hair days than not, so I'm happy so far.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
My hair is def changing - more 3a now than 3b (must change my avi pic!). Still using same products tho' - mostly CJ and Darcy's and the essential (for me!) BRHG as they continue to work, thank goodness!
UK - 3a/b med/coarse - mix normal/ high porosity.
Currently in my rotation:
Cleanser/Cowash: CJDF,
Tresemme Naturals, DGJ Hairjuice clarifying, Urtekram Lavender
Conditioners/DT's: CJH&BDF, CJCR, DBPSC, AOWC, Y2C
Protein: AOGPB, Joico Reconstruct Condish (regular not PT)
Leave Ins/Curl Creams: CJCCCC, CJ Smoothing, KeraCare/JCAC
Gel: FSG, BRHG, Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel, L'Oreal Studio Mineral Control Invisi'Gel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41240927@N03/
your hair looks great! from the volume on the top, i'd say it's still 3b.
crystal tips likes this.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
your hair looks great! from the volume on the top, i'd say it's still 3b.
Originally Posted by rbb
Thanks rbb! Doesn't seem to curl as well as it used to - am a lot coarser too - which I ain't ravin' about! Am also as porous as I ever was. I don't know why that should surprise me so but I suppose I was expecting to be less porous now I'm not colouring. I know one can be naturally porous but my underlayers are def not porous but canopy still v porous. All probably down to heat from hairdryer, environment etc. Just had a cut so curls may spring up in next week or so!
UK - 3a/b med/coarse - mix normal/ high porosity.
Currently in my rotation:
Cleanser/Cowash: CJDF,
Tresemme Naturals, DGJ Hairjuice clarifying, Urtekram Lavender
Conditioners/DT's: CJH&BDF, CJCR, DBPSC, AOWC, Y2C
Protein: AOGPB, Joico Reconstruct Condish (regular not PT)
Leave Ins/Curl Creams: CJCCCC, CJ Smoothing, KeraCare/JCAC
Gel: FSG, BRHG, Giovanni LA Natural Styling Gel, L'Oreal Studio Mineral Control Invisi'Gel
http://www.flickr.com/photos/41240927@N03/
I just wanted to add that your hair may have liked protein when you dyed it because hair color opens the shaft and damages the hair a bit, so the protein fills in the holes.

Now that your hair is virgin, and probably very healthy... you may not need as much protein.
curlypearl likes this.
3A, Protein Senitive, Low Porosity,
Med-Course
Wash: Suave Naturals Conds (excluding Coconut), CVSB
Rinse out/Leave In: GVP Cond. Balm, KCKT,
Style: Naturelle Gel(winter HG), KCCC (summer HG), Flaxseed gel
SOTC: JCNS
Love your hair: Love yourself!
I don't notice a difference in curl between my gray hair, and the hair that still has color. I HAVE noticed a loss of volume. I have fewer hair strands, and my hair is thinner at the top. Because of the transparency of my white hairs, you can now see my pink scalp, and I tell you, I don't like it very much.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that.
jeepcurlygurl likes this.

Newbie here! Looking for suggestions on curlyhair products that are also gray friendly... Preferably low cost ones. Currently have: Renpure My Hair is Pretty Parched Shampoo, L'Oreal Everstrong Sulfate-free Hydrate Cond (green tube), VO5 Moisture Milks Passion Fruit Smoothie cond, Lavendar Oil (I made spray).

I bought and haven't used yet DevaCurl Nopoo and DC Cond. but saving til I get rest of dye cut off!!!

I don't know if my choices are right, like if there's a better VO5 and someone mentioned Suave, which Suave would be good for curly gray???

Also should I be using gel??? I don't comb, use my hands to scrunch (I have microfiber towel, don't feel I need it for my short hair) I air dry, no fryer or diffuser...

Mostly: Wen Cleansing Conditioner: Lavendar & Tea Tree

Occasionally: DevaCurl No-Poo, One Condition, & Angel; KCCC, KCKT & KCCC
Last Dye 1/4/12; Started Curlygirl Method 6/2012; Final cut to remove dye 3/30/13
I really haven't changed the products I use since turning gray. The only thing I've added is some red-gold corrector that I add to conditioner to help get rid of any yellowing of my grays. The products I use are in my siggie.
curlygoinggray likes this.
In Western PA
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
I really haven't changed the products I use since turning gray. The only thing I've added is some red-gold corrector that I add to conditioner to help get rid of any yellowing of my grays. The products I use are in my siggie.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
+1
i use the same curly products, and also used the ardell red/gold corrector in conditioner periodically to remove the yellow. (got the suggestion from what jeepcurlygirl wrote in another thread, found the corrector in a conditioner of my choice to be perfect solution!)

i find, tho, gray hair does need more moisture, so i use heavier conditioners as my leave ins.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
Thanks jeepcurlygurl and rbb!!!
I bought the suave tropical coconut condish and LA Looks sport gel.

Not sure about the ardell red/gold corrrector, googled it and for toning down orange or red and does something to take out yellowing I guess. I used Pantenes Silver Expressions Daily Shampoo and the matching conditioner (its violet) before. Stopped using cuz of cones... I may just stick with the Baking soda. Only did it once and it really brightened up my silvers. May only do that once a month as it is very drying.

However, I read in this site that you should mix the soda with condish, maybe I will try it that way.

Oh, I do agree with the heavier leave-in condish...well the last to days anyways. My L'Oreal, its thicker and seems to be working better than the Vo5. Apparently it could be the dew pt or many factors...Hoping to keep my sanity while figuring this process out!!!

Last edited by curlygoinggray; 08-06-2012 at 07:20 PM. Reason: forgot to comment
curlygoinggray, the reason I bought the red-gold corrector is because all the other whitening products dried out my hair like mad. With the corrector, I can add it to my favorite conditioners so it not only is CG but it's also not drying. I get my at Sally Beauty online. Very inexpensive too.
In Western PA
jeepcurlygurl,

I am looking for a good deep conditioner...What do you use? Also on your sig line you use Ojon, oils...Can you tell me what they are???

Thank you,
curlygoinggray

Anyone else with or transitioning to gray curly hair, what are your deep treatments?
I use Ojon Restorative Treatment (original formula which I am addicted to the smell of but many folks hate it and I think they now have a light formula with a different scent). I just take a dad and run it thru my hair when it's feeling extra dry or flyaway, especially in the winter time.

For a deep conditioning treatment I mix some of my regular conditioner (usually Suave coconut) with some oil (coconut, sunflower, jojoba, safflower, hempseed) and sometimes some Ojon or honey. I leave in on my hair, under a plastic cap and a terry turban, for an hour and then condition wash.
In Western PA
Does anyone know where to buy (internet) the cheapest Jojoba Oil and Coconut Oil? The 100% stuff!!! I bought supposed Coconut Oil and it has petroleum in it. I slept in it last nite, co washed this am and hope it came out, lol! Prob not...

Anyways, I can purchase separately, just can't spend much with school shopping for kids now.

Thanks!

Last Dye 1/4/12; Started Curlygirl Method 6/2012; Final cut to remove dye 3/30/13
I bought my coconut oil (pure) at the grocery store. It's right with the cooking oils. I bought my jojoba oil on ebay.
In Western PA
Did my once a month BS/white vinegar routine yesterday. Petroleum in the coconut oil did NOT cowash out!! I knew it prob wouldn't. Ordered the pure coconut oil and the pure jojoba oil, will that cowash out???

Want to buy Aloe gel but don't know which to buy, there are so many and spendy for the real deal... Which ones are curly friendly. I would really like the refrigerated type...

All the conditioning and DT's are really taming down my coarse wiry grays!!!

Couldn't find coconut oil at my grocery store or walmart, so ordered. But I will get the EVOO at walmart!!!

Does the color ingredients (like Red 40 - its in vo5 moisture milks moisturizing conditioner passion fruit smoothie) have an effect on gray hair?? Am thinking use for only cowash and not leave in... IDK Maybe just clear with no added color like suave naturals coconut condish for leave in. Also curious about Tresemme naturals condish? curly/gray friendly??? I saw a clear/white one with aloe vera & avocado (nourishing moisture) and one with coconut oil & jojoba extract (vibrantly smooth)...

Last edited by curlygoinggray; 08-13-2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: added question

Trending Topics