Almost 38 need skin care advice

Like Tree3Likes

I'm pretty fair skinned, blonde/blue eyes and I've used sunscreen about 5 times in my entire life.

I've lived at elevations over a mile high my entire life - that means more exposure to radiation from the sun.

I worked at ski-resorts and mountain resorts until I was in my early 30's.

You would think I have leather-skin at the least, or skin cancer at worst, but nope, my skin is in pretty good condition for a 55 year old whose never had any sort of 'procedure' of any kind.
Photo: may 13 comp | My first album | Colorcountry | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.
Originally Posted by Kitschy

Wow...you're a cutie pie. Love your hair.

People do get leathery/mottled skin from not protecting themselves from the sun though. My dad, after 20 years of living in retirement in sunny Florida and refusing to wear hats or any other protection, now has melanoma on his face. His skin looks horrible in general, because he's just baked and baked and baked. He doesn't lay out to tan, but he fishes and boats and gardens all in the middle of the day. Well, he did before he got cancer.
JLeighs - fantastic that you found the missing link for your skin situation. I'm sure there are others who benefit too. Actually, I do know one person who had on and off psoriasis ever since she was in her late teens, and seriously, the sun did her good. She lives in Hawaii now, so that's easy to do, plus she has a brown skin tone to begin with.
Originally Posted by caramix3a
I can't tell you what a relief it was when I realized I just needed some sun. I've spent hundreds of dollars over the years for this or that cream or supplement, and none of it ever worked. I can get plenty of sun in the summer, but winters here in WI are a bit lacking in any serious sunshine. From now on I plan to buy a certain amount of tanning sessions each winter so that I can go in once a week for 10 minutes or so. I'm hoping that will keep my skin issues at bay. I'm also thinking of trying out what's called Red Light Therapy. The tanning salon I go has a RLT bed, but I need to do more research on it because I'm not sure if it's just another gimmick, or if it really does benefit the skin.

I must say I have to agree with you about the suncare thing being over-hyped, and the fear of God put into people so that they willingly coat themselves daily with questionable sunblocks that come with their own problems, like xenoestrogens, the chemicals that act as hormone disruptors, for instance. People can say all they want about sunblocks being totally safe, as well as certain industrial-strength treatments, but alternative practitioners often say that the skin is a lot more permeable than we think with up to 60% of what we apply to our skins eventually ends up in our blood streams. They routinely advise avoiding commercial skin care and body products in general and advocate basic simple care with plain natural products.
The correct amounts of sunblock advocated by dermatologists is truly staggering. One well-known female dermatologist says that one should apply enough sunblock to the entire body before heading out, such that one would leave a big grease stain on a plastic chair. One recently even recommended applying it like one would frosting to a cupcake! Still others say that for 2 people going to the beach for the afternoon, that that 4-oz. bottle should only last one for just the one afternoon. You can see where this is going with the money that one would be spending, as well as the sheer assault of all this goop on the skin - yikes! Not awfully long ago, it was put out there that a family could expect to spend $1000 on sunblock for the summer. Equals big bucks for the industry!
Yes, exactly this. All of the above is why I avoid sunscreen. I think it's a dangerous, money-making racket.
2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
Thank you RCW. I don't really like my double chin/turkey neck, but it is what it is, I'm overweight.

My husband has dark eyes, hair and skin, he's Hispanic. He had a basal cell cancer removed from his face near his nose.

I guess you never know.

I'm 46 and the best thing I've ever done for my skin was up my intake of water. I drink a minimum of 2 liters of water a day. I get compliment on my complexion quite often. Professional make up artists have been stunned to find out I had not applied foundation prior to sitting in their chairs.

My skin is not perfect by any means, but water has made a big difference in its condition.

All the topical applications in the world won't help if your insides are dried out.

Now, if someone could tell me how to get rid of these moles and excess chin hairs....
when all else fails...eat
[COLOR="Purple"]
I'm 46 and the best thing I've ever done for my skin was up my intake of water. I drink a minimum of 2 liters of water a day. I get compliment on my complexion quite often. Professional make up artists have been stunned to find out I had not applied foundation prior to sitting in their chairs.

My skin is not perfect by any means, but water has made a big difference in its condition.

All the topical applications in the world won't help if your insides are dried out.

Now, if someone could tell me how to get rid of these moles and excess chin hairs....
Originally Posted by BugEyeZ
I agree hydration from the inside shows on the outside (if only I'd practice what I preach, lol!) I do try to drink as much water as possible, but I know I should really try to drink even more. I'll be going out with my husband this evening, and unfortunately, I will give in to the temptation of that chilled bottle of vino that I'm going to savour! Oh, if only drinking wine did wonders for your complexion, lol!
UK Curly
Curl type : Boticelli, 3a, loose curls
Porosity : High
Texture : Fine/medium (I think!)
Co-wash/rinse out/leave in : L'oreal Full Restore 5, GFR&S, Schwarzkopf Bio Pomegranite
Gels : Umberto Giannini Flirty Curls Scrunching Jelly
Finish product : Boots Naked Style Frizz Fighter Serum or a pea-sized blob of condish smoothed over canopy
CG since Feb 2011

Last edited by proudcurlygirly; 05-25-2012 at 06:25 AM. Reason: missed out a word
Kitschy, OT, but you are beautiful! I love your hair! How do you get such great root lift with hair so long?
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
Spirelli, you are a sweetheart!

I keep shorter layers in the front around my face, it gives me a bit more lift, but I feel like I'm cheating when I say I'm at waist length because I have a deep U shaped hem, and I have layers up to mid-back. the layers help with curl and lift, but I think I might try growing them out....I can always cut layers back in if I decide to. Oh yes, and I clip my roots up while my hair dries.

I didn't read the whole conversation, so sorry if this was already mentioned.

About a year ago, I started buying Clearisil cleansing pads. I do still have minor breakouts even at 44. The pads have salicylic acid in them. At first i just used them just to treat zits. But I noticed that my skin started looking smoother and healthier with long term use.

So just a cheap suggestion. My skin is still pretty oily. Not sure how they would do on drier skin.

Sent from my iPod touch using CurlTalk
Shampoo: Pure Life Lavender
Condish Pure Life Lavender, GFTN
LI: Deva OneC
The person who posted about water doing more for her skin than anything is partially right, in that water has so many functions in the body and all, and for some people it does show up in their skin being more plumped up and all, but not everyone. It won't, for instance, do anything for acne, red marks, or sun spots. I've found that often that people who genetically have really nice skin anyway often say all they use is water and whatever really simple lotion or cream that happens to be on hand and then they say how AH-mazing just water and the simple cream is LOL! For others who have more skin challenges, it can take a lot more just to make one skin, well, just OK. A lot of us are somewhere in between and we have to find a balance between using just enough of the right stuff and not a bit more. JMHO, so no flames please!
Kitschy likes this.
44 now. I pirate the teenager's Retin-a and in the daytime wear a basic mostly physical SPF 15 plus foundation to keep the sun off my face.

So far, so good. And I am *not* starting off with good skin genes. My mom is part native american, but her skin sort of collapsed early, with the deep lines, and she did get the skin cancer, and I had acne, rosacea, just about everything possible it seems sometimes. I feared I'd go straight from pimples to wrinkles but no. And I am skinny, sometimes I think that the more padded ladies tend to have better skin as they age.

So my vote is for something exfoliating (like the retin-a) moisture at night, and something simple in the day, but with a physical block to keep too much sun from hitting the skin. Hat or parasol would work the same but I use makeup usually.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
"But, I tried retinols years ago and my skin and eyes felt irritated, even with retinol eye cream, even using every other day. Are there gentle ones anyone knows about? Hopefully the formulas have improved since I tried them." - diaspora

I'm having the same experience lately, even with the supposedly gentle Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream(the original one, not the Ageless Intensives one that's newer) that dermatologists recommend as a beginner OTC product before moving up to anything stronger. Even with applying Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream over it doesn't seem to help all that much and that cream is rich! I've tried just using the retinol every other night - same deal. I'm alternating with CeraVe PM - it has niacinamides in it which are great for more sensitive skin types and have real skin benefits - google "niacinamides for skin" and you'll get plenty of info. I might just be shifting over to just the CeraVe PM at night and dropping the retinol. But first I'm going to go a month without it and just use the CeraVe PM to see what that does, and try re-introducing the Neutrogena. If those dry under-eye patches come back, then I'll have my answer. I'm a lot older than the original poster though so that might have something to do with it. Skin does tend to get more sensitive as we get older, because it is starting to thin out, thus disturbing our skin's barrier function. The CeraVe line does address this and in fact is recommended by dermatologists for this very reason. It's very compatible with Rx topicals too, like Retin-A, etc. as it helps rebuild skin barrier. Hope this helps!
Originally Posted by caramix3a
Hi,

I remember my last visit to my dermatologist: He said, if you wanna stay looking young, do three things: Sunscreen faithfully, moisturize, and retin-A around your eyes at night. I'm 42.

If retinols irritate your skin, Kiehl's brand skin care makes a great 11% Vitamin C cream called Powerful-Strength Line Reducing Concentrate. I am mixed race, but this gave my skin an over all smoothness, healthy glow, and firmness. Vitamin C is believed to do the same as retinols, but gentler. I don't really have a problem with lines as yet, but I do have two of them at the corner of my left eye. You can check this product out online or in store. They have great moisturizers too.

Hope this helps.
Seems like I can only do the Neutrogena retinol every other night. By mistake, I recently picked up the Ageless Intensives one when I went to re-purchase - I didn't have my glasses with me LOL and somehow I picked up this box instead of the one next to it with the regular retinol(the cheaper one)and I've ended up using it 3 times so I can't really return it. I think this is STRONGER than the regular one, as I experimented to see what applying it 2 nights in a row would be like. No go - irritation was starting to show up already, so to use this tube up, I'm going to have to do the every other night deal like I was doing with the other one. I alternate with CeraVe PM. Since I'm not using a Rx retinoid, I don't think the sun situation is as extreme. I do however wear my CeraVe AM SPF 30 daily though, over plain Cetaphil Cream(the cream being applied to the drier areas toward outside of face and around eyes only. I think I get the benefit of some lower-level(thus much slower-acting anti-aging)this way. But after I use up this tube of the Ageless Intensives, I might go back to the original Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti-Wrinkle Cream - it's cheaper for one thing, and I can't really see much difference between that and the Ageless Intensives other than the latter is somewhat more moisturizing which might not be a bad thing. I'll reserve judgement for when I've gone through the tube of the Ageless Intensives.
As far as Vitamin C products, I haven't had much luck with them. I tried a few serums, and they all either broke me out or irritated. Then I tried the DIY route that lots of people swear by for making their own Vit. C serum. Again, no go. Either sticky, grainy, or irritating, even with just a little bit of C and doing different mixing techniques.
It seems that my skin only likes a very narrow range of products, like many who have reactive skin of one sort or another. Many of us in this category really can't get very far into traditional anti-agers, so basic moisturizing, a sunblock that our skin will tolerate, and a mild active, if any, are the way to go. That dermatologist is right about those three things, whatever level one is going for. More resistant skins can take stronger versions of all these.
Thought I would add to this...I went to a spa once and they were selling Jane Iredale and Hylunia products. Anyone ever tried them?? For those of you wondering about Vitamin C Serums and such, they do work, you just need a high enough percentage of Vitamin C for it to do anything. There's this really good product called Beyond Complex C that visibly reduces fine lines and wrinkles by up to 25%: Hylunia Skincare All of their products are natural and organic. You could check it out! And I love Jane Iredale makeup. It actually helps soothe your skin and allows it to breathe while still having good coverage. My fave!! And for skin care like for washing your face, I like Simple. It's great for sensitive skin and they sell it at drugstores! As much as this probably sounded like i'm advertising, I'm not - just wanted to help
Ceramix, wow, even the Neutrogena was irritating? That's the one I was thinking of trying, so thanks for posting that. Good that you're liking the CeraVe PM, it does look good, though unfortunately they added parabens as their preservative and I can't use those. Maybe I can find something else with niacinamide in it-- that's a B vitamin I think? I didn't know it was helpful for sensitive skin, but I will try it as my skin's been sensitive all my life. Hives, irritation, peeling, excema...
Originally Posted by diaspora
What do you do to get rid of your hives? I've experiencing them now and not sure what to do.
Not in the age group BUT I have troubled skin. In my experience, the more natural the better. Try out some Burt's bees products. They have an anti aging line and they are super moisturizing.
I went to a cosmetic surgeon last month and he told me that he tells most of his patients to use Retin-A. I told him that it irritated and dried out my skin. He said most people use too much of it and don't go slow with it. He said to use a pea size amount and dab all over your face then rub it in. He said to start out using it once a week and slowly increase it to everynight. I also read that you can put it over your moisturizer at night.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
If you do nothing else for your skin, make sure you use a good sunscreen moisturizer.
Originally Posted by Cubanwavy
Yes.
2b/3a.
Speckla
I went to a cosmetic surgeon last month and he told me that he tells most of his patients to use Retin-A. I told him that it irritated and dried out my skin. He said most people use too much of it and don't go slow with it. He said to use a pea size amount and dab all over your face then rub it in. He said to start out using it once a week and slowly increase it to everynight. I also read that you can put it over your moisturizer at night.
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves
I have a prescription of Retin-A now. I have also been using it on my neck. I think it's just as important to take care of the skin on my face as well as my neck, right?
Speckla, I use it on my neck and decolletage too. I use Protandim day and night as my anti-aging cream. I've also started using a skin lightening cream for age spots on my face. It's prescription like the Retin A, but I can get it from alldaychemist.com without a prescription and it's so much cheaper. RCW told me about this site and I use it a lot. I get my Latisse there for $11 a bottle. Beats the $180 it costs at the dermatologist office.
I thought this was kind of funny.....

Apparently it isn't just us women who are worried about our aging skin. My fiance has a very good female friend who is a distributor for a skin care product. She was showing him the before & after pics of her clients and he was really impressed. He bought a bottle to try.

This past weekend he took some before pics of himself on his phone. I was out of the room at the time and didn't realize he had done this. When I came back into the room he was on the couch looking very sad. He asked me why I was with him. I told him because I loved him and asked him why he would ask me such a question. He said he looked at his pics and he looks like an ugly old man. Of course, he doesn't and I couldn't help laughing when I looked at the pics. I know that sounds bad, but you would understand if you saw the pics. Anyway, I'm excited to see if he gets some good results. If so, I may become a distributor. I'll let you ladies know the results. Should be anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks.

Trending Topics