CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Over 40 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/)
-   -   How to conceal sunken eyes and keep a natural look (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/145880-how-conceal-sunken-eyes-keep-natural-look.html)

Malory 06-13-2012 06:10 AM

How to conceal sunken eyes and keep a natural look

Recently (I'm 46), my eyes have gotten very sunken, to the point of making me look skeletal, and with very dark circles in the hollows.

I have always had hereditary dark circles (you can even see them in my baby pictures), but for most of my life I had very prominent eyes. They didn't get sunken until recently.

I am borderline hypothyroid - my blood test results aren't bad enough for me to be prescribed medication for it, but that probably has caused the extreme sunkenness.

I get plenty of exercise, have a good diet, am a healthy weight.

The rest of my face looks very young. I have bright-coloured, attractive glasses that cover up my eyes, and people tend to think I am at least 10 years younger than I am.

I don't wear any makeup except for a bit of concealer under my eyes, which doesn't seem to help that much and I sometimes wear blush to brighten up my face because I have dark hair and light skin. I refuse to spend more than a few minutes putting on makeup. I also don't like the face covered in foundation, eyeshadow/lip stick/mascara look. It doesn't go with my jeans and t-shirts, healthy, athletic, active image.

I would like to be able to go without glasses sometimes, though.

The problem is, when I look at advice for dealing with sunken eyes, it all seems to be about putting shiny, bright colours on your eyes. That's fine for a 20 year old, but I'm at the age now where I have lines around my eyes that only appear when I do something to emphasize them - like putting on shiny, bright or light-coloured makup.

I also have naturally very dark, heavy lids. I've been told that I look like I'm wearing eye shadow when I'm not. I've tried putting lighter coloured eye shadow on my eyelids to lighten them up and lighten up the area, but the effect is just weird.

As I said, I do not wear foundation, so any makeup I put around my eyes has to match the rest of my face.

(I use jojoba oil as a moisturiser - not going to put any chemical-laden drugstore moisturisers on my face every day, so tinted moisturiser is a no-no.)

So, any advice for someone trying to hide sunken eyes without looking like an ageing ex-beauty queen?

I am also don't have a lot of money to spend on beauty right now, so I need cheap supermarket/drugstore solutions.

curlypearl 06-17-2012 07:19 PM

Malory, you might try posting in the Ask Phoenix thread in the makeup section of the "non-hair" forum. It's toward the bottom.

Also, when you do that, if you could post a picture it would help. Phoenix (whose new name is The New Black) is great with make up.

Also, even if your thyroid output is borderline, that seems to me something that should be corrected, especially if it's affecting you this way.

Best of luck!

Robin-in-FL 06-24-2012 08:52 AM

OK this is going to sound odd, but what helped my eye area was doing the goofy face exercises from a 1950's Jack laLane video. No kidding. Built up a little bit of muscle around the eyes and this 'lifted' and made it look less skeletal, more cushion. Dark circles also gone but I don't know if that is the exercise or eye cream or what.

Try the two eye exercises he does here and if it works for you, keep doing it a few times a week:

Jack Lalanne - Face Workout 1 of 30 - YouTube

And yes, you should get the thyroid more thoroughly tested, and treatment if you need it, because that can hurt you more than just having sunken eyes.