What do you use to help with post-menopausal dryness?

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By anonymous_22139
  • 2 Post By 2poodles
  • 1 Post By RebeccaK
  • 1 Post By RebeccaK

In the past month or so, I've begun to experience more and more vaginal dryness. (Talk about a way to spoil a good time!!) Anyone find anything more helpful than that old standby, KY jelly?
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Saliva.....(cripes I hope this doesn't get me banned!)
banjocurl and jeepcurlygurl like this.

Hahaha - I thought about labeling this thread "adult" but skipped that since the whole board is for over 40 y/o's....
jeepcurlygurl and RebeccaK like this.
2Poodles Southeast PA
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Astroglide is better than KY. Save the KY for your hair!!!
CG - 3/27/09
3b - dry - medium texture/medium porosity!
Co wash/rinseout/leave in: currently auditioning products
Styling: lube and BRHG
Check ingredients carefully though... if you're prone to yeast infections then you would not want to purchase anything that has glycerin in it.

I made the mistake of using the RepHresh and the Replens products without checking ingredients. Definitely feel that they missed the mark on this one by selling a product designed to relieve one issue that includes an ingredient that so often causes another one. =(

LOL I kind of like this emoticon to emphasize my feelings about this product
jeepcurlygurl likes this.
coconut oil
Originally Posted by crwritt
really? more details on how to use and apply?
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
It's gonna sound weird, but acupuncture and Chinese Herbs. I'm an acupuncturist, and went through menopause while in acu school (Yes, I was *way* older than my classmates!)

I had a friend do 'warm needle' treatments on the point called Ren (or CV) 4. I swear, after the first treatment I was juicy again! It was absolutely crazy. We did it weekly, but on the third week it felt hot immediately, and I knew that we were overdoing it.

The treatment is putting the needle in the point (It's below your belly button), and putting an herb 'cotton' called 'moxa' on the needle. It's then lit, and it smolders like incense. The acupuncturist has to be careful, but if you're trained to do it, there should be no problem. I use warm needle technique in clinic all the time.

The heat from the burning herb warms the needle, which sends the heat where it's needed. If you were my patient, I'd try that once every 2 weeks for three treatments. There are also good herbal formulas (your acu will know about those) that can help the transition. The dryness is just one symptom, and a damned uncomfortable one!

FWIW, I still have bouts of dryness, but 7 years after my last period they are few and far between. And I've never had the treatment again after those first three. Yes, it was miraculous for me, and YMMV, but it's worth a try!

My gyn recommended 'Replens' (OTC), and I used that for a bit.

Dye free since 8/2/12
CG since 6/29/12
Type: 2c/3a, medium, thick
Cowash: Suave TC Conditioner
Poo: SM Coconut-Hibiscus Shampoo
Curl Enhancment: CJCCCC!!,
Gels: HETT, BRHG, EcoStyler
Mousse: Deva Frizz-free Volumizing Foam
PT: IA Girl's Gelatin PT

Experimenting with VO5 Kiwi-Lime for Condish styling, as well as looking for an affordable substitute for Deva FFVF.
Hormone cream which I apply about every 10 days to 3 weeks depending on how I'm doing. It's prescription though and it's not something you can use right before sex.

You'd have to see a gyno. It is less dangerous to use than hormone pills, since very little is absorbed systemically.
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
coconut oil
Originally Posted by crwritt
really? more details on how to use and apply?
Originally Posted by banjocurl
Keep a jar by the bed, and use it as you would KY or whatever. A little goes a long way.
Thanks for all the ideas, ladies. I might have to get some of everything suggested - and experiment until we find what works best!! Could be fun!
2Poodles Southeast PA

I've heard about coconut oil before but haven't tried it. at least coconut oil is all natural

Sent from my SGH-T959 using CurlTalk App
sulfate, silicone and protein free since 6/11
porosity - normal to low
elasticity - normal

love my curls
HGs:
FSG
Henna
My own butter mixture
My own version of Terressentials mud wash
A lot of the women on Power-Surge like Life-Flo estriol cream. It's available at places like iHerb and VitaCost.
A gf of mine gets a prescription. It's $100/tube but all she needs is hald a pea size amount everyday. It's not just for during sex but to use daily bc I guess the dryness is a 24/7 problem. (Not sure why dryness down there is a problem, during nonsexual times but she swears it is and says this prescription ointment is a lifesaver.)
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

If the dryness increases you can start to hurt even when you're not having sex. Also, you can start to get UT infections. I wonder whether the prescription cream your friend is using is some form of estrogen?
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
I would be curious about the estrogen content, too. As part of treatment for breast cancer (diagnosed last December), I had an oophorectomy in June. (no chemo or radiation, though, and I have been unbelievably fortunate from the start - no complaints!) My cancer was estrogen positive, though, so of course no estrogen replacement therapy.

However, my oncologist did say that there are estrogen creams that are available that are okay for ER/PR positive cancers. This guy is a research guy all the way, and he went on to say that the levels of estrogen that enter the body through a vaginal cream are not statistically significant.

I haven't asked him for this prescription yet.... but I plan on it if needed!

For now, the coconut oil suggestion from the above post has been very effective! =)

sent from phone
curlypearl likes this.

Trending Topics