I'm really old!

Like Tree76Likes

These guys are in their fifties and sixties, they drove from the UK to China and back, then another couple of groups drove all the way around south, central and north America. My parents were out there for five or fix years in total. The Silk Route Motorcaravan Network.

One of the group had a little accident
Globetrotters crash Unimog in the Amazon | Hooniverse
I don't see how 'old' people could do all that, ergo they cannot possibly be old.
curlypearl likes this.
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect
My birthday is tomorrow and I'm going to be 63 - I'm told by everyone that I look like I'm 50, but I don't see that in the mirror! I just wanted to say that I'm pretty sure I'm the oldest curly girl on this forum!

Anyone else? If I get no answers, I'll know for sure! (By the way, it's hard to have curly hair at my age - up until now I've worn it straight for 12 years!) Oh, I won't go gray (no offense to anyone who is - it can be beautiful!)
Originally Posted by mebarb
Happy Birthday!
curlypearl likes this.
I'm a total wimper-snapper at 31 over here, but so happy to have all age ranges represented on here
curlypearl likes this.
I don t know who is older than whom.
But posters in this thread are the BEST members of this board.

Happy birthday Barb!
Originally Posted by maria_i
I second this.

All of you are KIND, intelligent, beautiful women, age is just a number!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
curlypearl likes this.
Curl Routine
Co: As I am Coconut CoWash,VO5 Claifying Conditioner
DC: Macadamia Repair Masque
LI: KCKT, Suave Naturals Coconut
Style Creme: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Gel: KCCC, Eco Styler Argan Oil
Sealer: EVCO, EVOO

3b/3c, High Desity, High Porosity, Medium Texture, BSL
""Live by the sun, love by the moon"

"I don't see how 'old' people could do all that, ergo they cannot possibly be old." - Firefox7275

Our culture has a real habit of thinking that older people can't do anything. Meanwhile, there are any number of vital older people who are in fact out there doing all kinds of things. But all too many people, especially women, seem to internalize the idea that it's all over as far as getting into shape, or even having real fun for matter, after 50. Such beliefs become self-fulfilling prophecy, thus they do less and less and cave to cultural stereotypes. It's up to US to bust those stereotypes in the ways we see fit
Will be heading to Ecstatic Dance tonight - just 10 blocks away from me!
curlypearl likes this.
People are 'old' in their 50's and 60's?! I call BS on that, as would most people that age. I've done more in my 50's that in my youth - started working out, joined the gym, finished a full marathon (walking and jogging but still), do more hiking and walking, etc. And sex. Much much much better now.
Just watched a video of a man over 100 years old who did a full marathon. He beat my time from when I did mine at 52.
Ditto caramix - we need to break the stereotypes of age. Life isn't all about the young. We don't turn invisible as we age. We don't lose interest in fun and physical things. And we need to stop acting like grey hair, wrinkles, and saggy bits are the end of the world.
reeni, Starmie, bobby and 5 others like this.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd

Last edited by jeepcurlygurl; 05-07-2013 at 12:03 PM.
People are 'old' in their 50's and 60's?! I call BS on that, as would most people that age. I've done more in my 50's that in my youth - started working out, joined the gym, finished a full marathon (walking and jogging but still), do more hiking and walking, etc. And sex. Much much much better now.
Just watched a video of a man over 100 years old who did a full marathon. He beat my time from when I did mine at 52.
Ditto caramix - we need to break the stereotypes of age. Life isn't all about the young. We don't turn invisible as we age. We don't lose interest in fun and physical things. And we need to stop acting like grey hair, wrinkles, and saggy bits are the end of the world.
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
Exactly, jeepcurls "old" is a subjective term that people just throw around. I've seen a few more strands of grey lately and I turn 41 in August but I don't consider it the end of the world. BTW, I saw your photo page, you have beautiful hair.
curlypearl likes this.
Thanks bobby!
I tend to sound ornery about this subject sometimes, but I get irked when I constantly hear about how horrible it is to be 'old', how ugly and gross old people are and that we should either have surgery or hide ourselves away. Grrr.
bobby and curlypearl like this.
In Western PA
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
"I don't see how 'old' people could do all that, ergo they cannot possibly be old." - Firefox7275

Our culture has a real habit of thinking that older people can't do anything. Meanwhile, there are any number of vital older people who are in fact out there doing all kinds of things. But all too many people, especially women, seem to internalize the idea that it's all over as far as getting into shape, or even having real fun for matter, after 50. Such beliefs become self-fulfilling prophecy, thus they do less and less and cave to cultural stereotypes. It's up to US to bust those stereotypes in the ways we see fit
Will be heading to Ecstatic Dance tonight - just 10 blocks away from me!
Originally Posted by caramix3a
I read some research studies some years ago for my last degree level qualification, one in particular I passed onto my parents and my father actually passed it on to others. Can't recall the detail anymore but the gist was that people in a care home with average age of something like 80 were given ability-appropriate strength training exercises to do. After a number of weeks all had become measurably 'fitter' and some were able to discard their walking aids.

Use it or lose it in black and white: we can't all run marathons at 100 but almost all of us can avoid some of the supposedly 'age related' decline in fitness and ability. Another study I read of suggested that regular Tai Chi halved the risk of falls in the over 50s or over 60s (forget which) - falls of course being linked to hip fractures. Some who fracture their hip never walk independently again so if you can avoid falling in the first place ....

It's ridiculous to describe 50 as old, that doesn't divide the expected lifespan up in any sort of meaningful or logical way. Some women still have young children at that age, occasionally someone falls pregnant then, men can continue to have children indefinitely so the human body doesn't seem to think 50 is 'old'. Arguably the body thinks our youth, defined as child bearing years, are done with at ('normal' not premature) menopause so you could say women enter middle age at that point.

Some decades ago 40 was considered the start of middle age, firstly the envelope has clearly been pushed there and secondly middle age doesn't last a mere ten years, we don't make 'old' people work full time for another ten or fifteen years up to 60 or 65. That is the age we can draw the state pension (AKA 'old age' pension) in the UK but even that is set to rise to 70 in recognition of our improving health wellbeing and longevity.
curlypearl likes this.
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect
happy 63rd birthday! i am now 63 1/2 so i am older. i think cara and curly pearl are in that range or higher.
i climbed mt washington in NH at 57 for the first time with my 2 dogs. still hiking and swimming daily...
curly gray mix of colors...mid back length....no surgery...dont plan on it...playing music and camping...nothing too daredevil tho.. carry on kids!!

[/QUOTE]=So_Jane;2167279]
My birthday is tomorrow and I'm going to be 63 - I'm told by everyone that I look like I'm 50, but I don't see that in the mirror! I just wanted to say that I'm pretty sure I'm the oldest curly girl on this forum!

Anyone else? If I get no answers, I'll know for sure! (By the way, it's hard to have curly hair at my age - up until now I've worn it straight for 12 years!) Oh, I won't go gray (no offense to anyone who is - it can be beautiful!)
Originally Posted by mebarb
Happy Birthday![/QUOTE]
curlypearl likes this.
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
Thanks bobby!
I tend to sound ornery about this subject sometimes, but I get irked when I constantly hear about how horrible it is to be 'old', how ugly and gross old people are and that we should either have surgery or hide ourselves away. Grrr.
love your gray curls--saw your fotki your hair is fabulous!!
jeepcurlygurl and curlypearl like this.
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
Thanks bobby!
Jeepcurls, this is long overdue but "you rock," my dear I'll be AARP eligible when my kids graduate from high school but the hell with it. BTW, you are still gorgeous.
Well thank you for the compliments! You made my day.
curlypearl likes this.
In Western PA
I think most people have have that feeling of (ugh I'm so old) wash over them from time to time. I turned 29 and I thought to myself OMG this is it I'm officially old now and my hubby who is 43 looked at me like pllllease! And rolled his eyes. In some situations I feel younger than I am like at work where I'm one of the youngest practicing in the office and then other times I feel old. People usually think I am younger too which I use to mind at 25 but not so much anymore lol. I remember being 19 and thinking I wish I was older so I could do more things and feel like an adult now I don't wish to age anymore. Sometimes on my birthday I just think about all the people who didn't make it to their next birthday for whatever reason and feel lucky to have another year of life. I hope I make it to your beautiful age healthy and happy.

My blog: http://diaryofatrendaholic.blogspot.ca/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/EricaChristinaD
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/ericachristina/

Last edited by Ericachristina; 05-29-2013 at 08:43 AM.
I'm 67. I was thinking the other day...I am a member now of several CG and gray hair boards and I see no posters on any that say they are older than me. I think I would continue posting and being concerned about hair and possibly makeup into my 70ís and 80ís. So is this another thing that is a part of the baby boomer generation? Hope you can understand what I mean.
curlypearl likes this.
@CurlyinParadise: I'm right up just behind you - I'll be 67 in June LOL! About still being into makeup, etc. at our age and up, I don't know, about it being exclusive to our generation. There are 80 and 90 year-olds who are rocking it. Not huge numbers, but still. Check out the British documentary film Fabulous Fashionistas for example, and a blog called Advanced Style, mostly older ladies than us for sure. But I think there is one thing that might be exclusive to ours to some extent, we're not our mothers when it comes to beliefs about aging and what we can do. Because of this, we're also a bloc of people who are going to raise you-know-what about the treatment of elderly people as we advance into that stage of life ourselves, however it plays out for us. Doing the best I can by placing a healthy lifestyle first and foremost, myself!
curlypearl likes this.
Ha! I've got you all beat. I'm 68! Still working, still love makeup, still care about style, and I have to remind myself that I am old!

Have to give kudos to my boss, who hired me old, curls and all. He hired me when I was 65 - thought I was in my mid 50's because he made a comment about "when you reach our age" - and he was in mid-50's. He must have gotten a jolt when he found out the truth, .

Special Hi to all my curlfriends on this over 40 forum!
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
I think as the Baby Boom generation gets older we'll see old age redefined. I don't think that generation will settle for putting on granny glasses and sitting in a rocking chair! As a member of Generation X I tip my hat to you!
curlypearl likes this.
I'm going to go ahead and say 3a
fine/medium texture and a bit porous-I color
Spring routine: Renpure luxurious argan oil shampoo/Loreal Advanced Care Color conditioner , HETT gel
Microfiber towel/diffuse
Trying KKCC
I'm 67. I was thinking the other day...I am a member now of several CG and gray hair boards and I see no posters on any that say they are older than me. I think I would continue posting and being concerned about hair and possibly makeup into my 70’s and 80’s. So is this another thing that is a part of the baby boomer generation? Hope you can understand what I mean.
Originally Posted by CurlyInParadise
The active 70 and 80 year olds I know and met, are concerned about hair and make up.

Those in their 70s are sufficiently computer literate so I'm surprised their aren't any on the board.

I guess they are too busy doing other things and also don't give a damn if people don't like their hair.
I think as the Baby Boom generation gets older we'll see old age redefined. I don't think that generation will settle for putting on granny glasses and sitting in a rocking chair! As a member of Generation X I tip my hat to you!
Originally Posted by okyouwin
I totally agree with you. I'm at the young end of the Baby Boomers and don't see any rocking chairs in my future!
curlypearl and okyouwin like this.
3b in South Australia.

Trending Topics