Products/routines for Low Porosity GRAY Hair

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By rbb
  • 1 Post By kathymack
  • 3 Post By 2poodles

Would like to know what works for you.

Gray, natural, uncolored, unhenna, undyed, unhighlighted hair DOES NOT respond, IMO to products the same as hair that has been chemically altered!!!

So far, the Deva Curl One Condition has made my hair way more curly. Especially on top where the shorter layers are... Is that my Holy Grail? Are their cheaper ones that really bring out the curl??? Still experimenting with Suave, Vo5's... Thinking about Tressemme, the avocado one...

Also, what about lower dew points and cold mn winters. Remembering I am low porosity and natural gray hair, tiny bit of color left on ends (I need to just cut off) what would be a good cone free conditioner for the winter?

Thank you!

Mostly: Wen Cleansing Conditioner: Lavendar & Tea Tree

Occasionally: DevaCurl No-Poo, One Condition, & Angel; KCCC, KCKT & KCCC
Last Dye 1/4/12; Started Curlygirl Method 6/2012; Final cut to remove dye 3/30/13

Last edited by curlygoinggray; 09-15-2012 at 12:15 PM.
my hair does not have the same properties as yours, so we would generally use different products, with some overlap.
i do have gray/white hair and my experience has been is that it loses moisture more quickly (my porosity is normal), so i need heavier conditioners, more moisturizing products. for low dews that is especially important. i often add a little conditioner to some spots here and there during the day in the low dews. i also need to seal my hair in very low dews. not sure if that is important with low porosity.
if you are having good results with a product, why switch??? i cannot say what might be better for your hair, even with the same properties hair reacts differently.
curlygoinggray likes this.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
From what I have read, Curly Nikki article about low porosity:

more water-based liquid product to coat without making greasy
then light oil (jojoba/grapeseed oil, aloe vera juice) to seal...(heavy oil: castor/olive oil: sits on top of hair and just weighs it down)

Key is conditioner (apply to dry or damp hair)

Okay that is for low porosity.

I haven't tried sealing yet...
Would coconut oil be too heavy?
I have jojoba oil, haven't used it yet (its pure liquid, how do I use without wasting it?)

Do I seal the ends only or how does a person apply an oil to seal? (scrunch, comb?)

Mostly: Wen Cleansing Conditioner: Lavendar & Tea Tree

Occasionally: DevaCurl No-Poo, One Condition, & Angel; KCCC, KCKT & KCCC
Last Dye 1/4/12; Started Curlygirl Method 6/2012; Final cut to remove dye 3/30/13
I'm fine/low porosity and going gray, but still have some highlights (trying to see if my "natural" color is interesting enough.) I'd say the highlights are less then 5% of my hair (mostly front and canopy.) for now, it's been over three months since I've had them done. Personally, I'm not finding that the gray responds all that differently then my other hair--but that's me.

My hair doesn't care for straight oil/butter, but likes them in products. I use minute amounts of really rich products--which I think seals in the moisture. My hair is moist enough that the shampoo guy won't use conditioner on it when I'm at the salon (he doesn't "get" it.)

Many of us start out with Deva, think we like it, and then move on to other things. My hair prefers the more natural products from the online, boutique companies. It really doesn't like the heavier oils (castor, mineral, etc.) in products. It does like a lot of protein.

Another thing that many of us find important to do is to rotate products. I wet, use a rinse out and style every day seldom using any one product more then once in five days. For me, the styling products make a bigger difference. The rinse out is only on my low porosity hair for a few minutes in the shower. Not much time to be absorbed. There are conditioners that I don't find moisturizing enough, but I don't buy them again. I find that using minute amounts of richer products that can be absorbed all day works for me.

In the low dewpoints, I use a leave in AND curl enhancer followed up with a jelly product. In the high dewpoints, I use a leave in OR curl enhancer followed by a jelly product.
curlygoinggray likes this.
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams
The one oil that I like is argan oil. I only use 1 drop, emulsified in my hands and then smoothed over my hair. That is applied before my KCCC (and after KCKT, if I am using a LI that day). I may use a second drop of argan oil after my hair is dry in very high and very low dew points.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Trending Topics