hysterectomy?

Like Tree12Likes

Anyone want to share their experiences? I just turned 39 and I have a hyst scheduled for next month. No cancer, no endo, no fibroids, just continuous very light bleeding for the past 4 months that did not respond to an ablation. I am planning on using the daVinci robot and keeping my ovaries (God willing).

I was absolutely fine w/ my decision but a lot of people are trying to talk me out of it now (since it's official and not just an idea). One boardie already shared her story w/ me and hers was a positive one...so I'm not completely terrified.

PMs are fine, too. Thanks.
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000

How long ago did you have the ablation? I'm asking because I still had spotting for months after having mine. But then spotting was nothing compared to the horrendous bleeding the ablation remedied for me..
I think you just do what you need to do for your body, but if the docs cant really tell you what is causing your spotting, hysterectomy sounds like an extreme solution.Could it be hormones?
Anyone want to share their experiences? I just turned 39 and I have a hyst scheduled for next month. No cancer, no endo, no fibroids, just continuous very light bleeding for the past 4 months that did not respond to an ablation. I am planning on using the daVinci robot and keeping my ovaries (God willing).

I was absolutely fine w/ my decision but a lot of people are trying to talk me out of it now (since it's official and not just an idea). One boardie already shared her story w/ me and hers was a positive one...so I'm not completely terrified.

How long ago did you have the ablation? I'm asking because I still had spotting for months after having mine. But then spotting was nothing compared to the horrendous bleeding the ablation remedied for me..
I think you just do what you need to do for your body, but if the docs cant really tell you what is causing your spotting, hysterectomy sounds like an extreme solution.Could it be hormones?
Originally Posted by crwritt
Did the spotting ever stop after the ablation? And how long after?

All I really had prior to the ablation was spotting. And nothing has changed since the ablation. Same exact spotting. So nothing has been remedied for me.

I had the ablation in August.

I just went to see my dr yesterday and he said I should be seeing an improvement by now.

Yes, it could be hormonal. The dr said sometimes hormones go crazy at my age...but usually it happens closer to menopause.

I am under a ridiculous amount of stress and I read that intense stress can cause you not to ovulate and then there is a build up of blood and endometrium that doesn't get shed from month to month, so bleeding in btwn periods can happen. But it's been 4.5 months of nonstop light bleeding.

Yes, a hyst does seem extreme. But is it bad to do something extreme? I just don't see any other options. And I don't have any help here so I need to schedule whatever I do around my mother's twice yearly visits.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

I had a laparoscopic-assisted vaginal hysterectomy when I was 37 due to heavy bleeding and anemia with a hemoglobin under 7 that wouldn't respond to iron supplements. I kept my ovaries. Best decision I ever made!! Sex is just as good - if not better and I never had any of the complications that you listed.

That said, I wouldn't have done it IF I still wanted kids. But I had already had 3 and had already had a tubal ligation. I'm assuming you don't want any (more) kids. I'm also assuming that you've had the surgery pre-approved by your insurance company. You've got to have some sort of significant diagnosis beyond "light bleeding every day." And if the ablation didn't work, then I'm not sure what other alternative you have.... Best of luck. I think you have to trust your gut and do what feels right to you.
Originally Posted by 2poodles
Yes, I am done having kids (had essure performed 3.5 yrs ago) and yes, it's been approved.

Just trying to psych myself back into it.

I was 46 and it was one of the best days of my life ( had breast reduction same day).
Speckla
But if I am not mistaken, the lack of estrogen would only occur if she gets her ovaries removed. That is why my doctor counseled me to keep mine.
Originally Posted by juanab
This is absolutely correct.
Originally Posted by curlypearl
That's true but there is a higher rate of ovary failure within 5 years of a hysterectomy. Not everyone but I do know a few people who have had to go back and have ovaries remove. It's a major surgery no matter the reason you have it. Definitely something to think about.
But if I am not mistaken, the lack of estrogen would only occur if she gets her ovaries removed. That is why my doctor counseled me to keep mine.
That's true but there is a higher rate of ovary failure within 5 years of a hysterectomy. Not everyone but I do know a few people who have had to go back and have ovaries remove. It's a major surgery no matter the reason you have it. Definitely something to think about.
Originally Posted by Speckla
Ovary failure? As in stopped working? Btw, I sent you a pm.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

Did the spotting ever stop after the ablation? And how long after?

All I really had prior to the ablation was spotting. And nothing has changed since the ablation. Same exact spotting. So nothing has been remedied for me.

I had the ablation in August.

I just went to see my dr yesterday and he said I should be seeing an improvement by now.

Yes, it could be hormonal. The dr said sometimes hormones go crazy at my age...but usually it happens closer to menopause.

I am under a ridiculous amount of stress and I read that intense stress can cause you not to ovulate and then there is a build up of blood and endometrium that doesn't get shed from month to month, so bleeding in btwn periods can happen. But it's been 4.5 months of nonstop light bleeding.

Yes, a hyst does seem extreme. But is it bad to do something extreme? I just don't see any other options. And I don't have any help here so I need to schedule whatever I do around my mother's twice yearly visits.
I still had occasional light spotting six to eight months after my ablation. That was three years ago and all that has stopped for me now. I had fibroids and I believe that they were the cause of my bleeding problems.

You can only do what you and your doctor feel is right for you. I had massive bleeding every month for years and did not feel comfortable having a hysterectomy. The ablation stopped most of that, and I'm now past 50 and am probably in menopause now.So glad its over!
Have you gotten a second opinion?
Every "body" responds differently to sickness, medicines, surgery, candies and the list can go on. So one person's horror story doesn't have to be another's. Just saying! Wish you all the best with whatever you decide girl!
curlypearl likes this.
I have to shower in order to wake up properly in the mornings
I forgot to mention that I kept my ovaries. While I was happy to have the uterus gone, I didn't want to lose any working, healthy body parts. I changed physicians and the new one was appalled that I had been given the choice of keeping them. She said the research and history is that there is a higher incidence of breast cancer in women who didn't have ovaries removed with hysterectomy. I was appalled that she actually tried to talk me into having them removed.
I had a laparoscopic-assisted vaginal hysterectomy when I was 37 due to heavy bleeding and anemia with a hemoglobin under 7 that wouldn't respond to iron supplements. I kept my ovaries. Best decision I ever made!! Sex is just as good - if not better and I never had any of the complications that you listed.

That said, I wouldn't have done it IF I still wanted kids. But I had already had 3 and had already had a tubal ligation. I'm assuming you don't want any (more) kids. I'm also assuming that you've had the surgery pre-approved by your insurance company. You've got to have some sort of significant diagnosis beyond "light bleeding every day." And if the ablation didn't work, then I'm not sure what other alternative you have.... Best of luck. I think you have to trust your gut and do what feels right to you.
Yes, I am done having kids (had essure performed 3.5 yrs ago) and yes, it's been approved.

Do you realize that some women have problems after getting Essure, such as allergy to the metal, and scar issue building up, that can cause a variety of weird gyno symtoms, like unusual bleeding, cramps, bloating, etc. You may want to read up on that.
http://vervilledeb1.wordpress.com/20...e-among-women/

Last edited by crwritt; 10-05-2012 at 11:28 AM.

Do you realize that some women have problems after getting Essure, such as allergy to the metal, and scar issue building up, that can cause a variety of weird gyno symtoms, like unusual bleeding, cramps, bloating, etc. You may want to read up on that.
Essure Problems Continue Among Women Vervilledeb1's Blog
You might be onto something. The thought has crossed my mind. So now I am reading more.

I got an U/S but didn't really think to look at it to see if one of the coils has migrated.

I am going to get a third opinion.

Thanks, everyone!
curlypearl likes this.

Speckla

Originally Posted by Speckla
Ovary failure? As in stopped working? Btw, I sent you a pm.
I just checked my PMs. I will reply to that one later. They can fail but it's not a high percentage. It's just one of the things that can happen. Some women keep their ovaries and are fine. I think a hysterectomy is a last resort because it's removing a vital organ that produces hormones...but if the benefits of having it removed are great than keeping it than I totally see the need to have one. But that's my opinion though. Everyone has to weigh the pros and cons. I had absolutely no trouble after surgery and my doctor said I was a textbook perfect example of healing...

The choice is yours and no doctor or person can talk you into or out of anything. You have to make of your own mind.
I had mine 6 years ago due to fibroids. I kept my ovaries. I'm 48 now and no problems. It's a big decision and i was scared out of my mind. But I don't have to worry about the painful periods anymore and the heavy bleeding. I had mine done the old fashion way with a 5 inch scar. It was a hard recovery. My sister in law had it done with the robot and her recovery was much faster and easier then mine.
Sorry to be a negative Nellie, but my experience was less than pleasant. I was 36 and diag. with endo at age 28. I couldn't hold out any longer because the pain was too severe. Sadly, I was unable to keep my ovaries and I am sure that because of that my troubles escalated. Surgical menopause is NO FUN. The docs filled me full of synthetic estrogen and I had a severe reaction to it. As a result, I have permanent tinnitus in both ears 24 hours a day 365 day a year. In addition to that, I spent 7 long years trying all kinds of different types of HRT (hormone replacement therapy). It was miserable for me because I adverse reactions to all. My poor family had to put up with my ups and downs until I finally took myself off all HRT completely.

Most women respond wonderfully to HRT. You probably will, too. I just was one of the unlucky percentage that couldn't tolerate it.

My life was turned upside down and if I had known then what I know now and could have prevented losing my ovaries, I certainly would have opted out of a total hysterectomy.

Best of luck to you and do keep us posted-- <3
Here are the terms that should be known for anyone considering this surgery:

Types of hysterectomy

A total hysterectomy is one which involves removal of the cervix, uterus, and the fallopian tubes; the ovaries remain intact in this type of hysterectomy, although many women show signs of menopause soon after a total hysterectomy. You should discuss this possibility with your doctor prior to having your hysterectomy.
Hysterectomy with bilateral oophorectomy involves the removal of both ovaries; surgical menopause begins immediately after this surgery and you'll need to begin hormone replacement therapy while still hospitalized, to lessen some of the menopausal symptoms which are sure to follow this procedure. A hysterectomy, of this type, may be required because of ectopic pregnancy, endometriosis, tumors or cysts on the ovaries, or PID.

A radical hysterectomy involves the removal of the uterus, cervix, the top part of the vagina, and most of the tissue surrounding the cervix in the pelvic cavity; pelvic lymph nodes are also removed in cases of cervical or endometrial cancer and is rarely necessary.

Women at low risk for developing cervical cancer may have their cervix left intact and opt for supracervical hysterectomy, with just the body of the uterus removed.
curlypearl likes this.

co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)

juanab-

You are absolutely correct. It has been awhile since my surgery and forgot to mention the bilateral oophorectomy. I had a total hysterectomy AND a bilateral oophorectomy which I believe was the main cause of my problems.

Readers:
If at all possible, KEEP YOUR OVARIES INTACT. There are a lot of things we can do without, but I believe that the ovaries are very important in achieving the quality of life you deserve.

On a bright note, I also neglected to mention that my "curly" daughter had a vaginal hysterectomy due to endometriosis and fibroids (uterus only) and she is doing very well. The endo had not destroyed her ovaries yet. She may still lose one, but she will always have a healthy one.

Modified CG since July 2012

2c-3a-3b depending on the day and the weather - Color my gray - med to long length

Deva low-poo
co-wash -TJTTT
cond - DC1
Gio leave in
KCCC, LA sport gel or Deva arc angel, BRHG
Protein sensitive- loves a drop or two of jojoba oil
Cone free
mod. super soaker, pixie-curl if I diffuse at all, must clip the top
juanab-

You are absolutely correct. It has been awhile since my surgery and forgot to mention the bilateral oophorectomy. I had a total hysterectomy AND a bilateral oophorectomy which I believe was the main cause of my problems.

Readers:
If at all possible, KEEP YOUR OVARIES INTACT. There are a lot of things we can do without, but I believe that the ovaries are very important in achieving the quality of life you deserve.

On a bright note, I also neglected to mention that my "curly" daughter had a vaginal hysterectomy due to endometriosis and fibroids (uterus only) and she is doing very well. The endo had not destroyed her ovaries yet. She may still lose one, but she will always have a healthy one.

Modified CG since July 2012

2c-3a-3b depending on the day and the weather - Color my gray - med to long length

Deva low-poo
co-wash -TJTTT
cond - DC1
Gio leave in
KCCC, LA sport gel or Deva arc angel, BRHG
Protein sensitive- loves a drop or two of jojoba oil
Cone free
mod. super soaker, pixie-curl if I diffuse at all, must clip the top
Originally Posted by CurlyBoomer
CB, I wholeheartedly agree with keeping your ovaries if at all possible.

I believe your daughter will be fine with one ovary. I only have one and it is still in good working order, 12 years later.

I have a third opinion scheduled for next tuesday and I requested a copy of the u/s taken in August, before my ablation, be sent to me so I can bring it w/ me to my third opinion appt.

I am wondering if one of my coils migrated and is scratching or poking me somewhere.

I've never really had "health problems" before so all this is new to me...second and third opinions and deciding what type of surgery I want and risks, etc.

I know what you mean. Not fun!!! I hope this 3rd opinion is very helpful.
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift

Trending Topics