hysterectomy?

Like Tree12Likes

Anyone want to share their experiences? I just turned 39 and I have a hyst scheduled for next month. No cancer, no endo, no fibroids, just continuous very light bleeding for the past 4 months that did not respond to an ablation. I am planning on using the daVinci robot and keeping my ovaries (God willing).

I was absolutely fine w/ my decision but a lot of people are trying to talk me out of it now (since it's official and not just an idea). One boardie already shared her story w/ me and hers was a positive one...so I'm not completely terrified.

PMs are fine, too. Thanks.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

I had really bad endo for several years and fibroid tumors as well. Having the hysterectomy, was one the best decisions I ever made. I also had my cervix removed, so I wouldn't have to worry about cervical cancer. I kept one ovary.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

Speckla
I had my laproscopic hysterectomy 6 years ago when I was 31. I had terrible endo, fibroids, nonstop bleeding, terrible pain, nausea...well, basically no medicine would stop my bleeding or control the pain. I had both ovaries, uterus, and cervix removed. I had a bladder tack done at the same time. I regret none of it. This is the first time in years I'm pain free, not anemic, and I actually physically feel good and have engergy. I went into the hospital and was discharged 26 hours later. I have never had any problems or any real concerns. The doctor removed all the endo he could. I have it on my bowels and it occasionally acts up but that's due to the endo and not a side effect of my hysterectomy. I started on hormones before surgery and have only had a few hot flashes and no other really bad menopausal symptoms.
I haven't had a hyst. but my mom had it done and she was fine afterwards and I know women of all ages who had it for various reasons and in all these cases it was successful and they were happy with the results. I know that is just anecdotal but it seems to be one of those procedures with a very high satisfaction rate.
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
Specka, what's a bladder tack? Something to keep the bladder from prolapsing?

CP - really?

Juanab - how old were you?

These are all the things I've heard: sex feels dry, sex feels rough, sex hurts, orgasms are less enjoyable, orgasms are fewer, orgasms are weaker, orgasms are nonexistant, sexual arousal is gone, there is incontinence, there is pain, there is immediately menopause w/ or w/o ovaries, there are hematomas, there are fistulas, there is exhaustion, there is depression, there is organ propapse, there are follow up and corrective surgeries, there is regret, there is misery, there is celibacy, there is frigidity, there are suicidal ideations...

Ugh...

I can understand women w/ no options and terribe symptoms getting the hyst and being happy w/ the outcome if they were miserable before.

But I am losing about half a thimble-full of blood a day, most of which comes out at one time, and then I am done. It's barely anything, just an inconvenience. I have no pain or other symptoms. No idea where exactly it's coming from, what is causing it or if it will correct itself.

Someone told me I am trying to swat a fly w/ a cannonball...and I may live to regret that I was soooooo aggressive.

That I should see hyst only as an absolute last resort. Is it really that important to keep all my parts?? I was thinking I might lose a little in the way of sexual intensity but I would have more peace of mind (no cancer scares in the future) and freedom from periods and this abnormal bleeding.

Am I taking this too lightly?

(I'm still monitoring my condition and if it corrects itself before the H date, I will cancel.)

Last edited by spiderlashes5000; 10-03-2012 at 01:15 PM.
I was 37. I haven't had problems since I had my surgery.

co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)

Originally Posted by juanab
Do you feel exactly the same as before (minus the endo symptoms)?

Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
Even better. No dryness, libido as high as ever, no worry about getting pregnant, no period, no pms (I always felt like I could rip someone's head off).

Even better. No dryness, libido as high as ever, no worry about getting pregnant, no period, no pms (I always felt like I could rip someone's head off).
Wow. That's great. Very encouraging.

(I think I hate having periods about 10,000x more than the average woman.)

Lol!!! I know the feeling.

Speckla
Specka, what's a bladder tack? Something to keep the bladder from prolapsing?

CP - really?

Juanab - how old were you?

These are all the things I've heard: sex feels dry, sex feels rough, sex hurts, orgasms are less enjoyable, orgasms are fewer, orgasms are weaker, orgasms are nonexistant, sexual arousal is gone, there is incontinence, there is pain, there is immediately menopause w/ or w/o ovaries, there are hematomas, there are fistulas, there is exhaustion, there is depression, there is organ propapse, there are follow up and corrective surgeries, there is regret, there is misery, there is celibacy, there is frigidity, there are suicidal ideations...

Ugh...

I can understand women w/ no options and terribe symptoms getting the hyst and being happy w/ the outcome if they were miserable before.

But I am losing about half a thimble-full of blood a day, most of which comes out at one time, and then I am done. It's barely anything, just an inconvenience. I have no pain or other symptoms. No idea where exactly it's coming from, what is causing it or if it will correct itself.

Someone told me I am trying to swat a fly w/ a cannonball...and I may live to regret that I was soooooo aggressive.

That I should see hyst only as an absolute last resort. Is it really that important to keep all my parts?? I was thinking I might lose a little in the way of sexual intensity but I would have more peace of mind (no cancer scares in the future) and freedom from periods and this abnormal bleeding.

Am I taking this too lightly?

(I'm still monitoring my condition and if it corrects itself before the H date, I will cancel.)

That's actually what it is. I had the problem of sneezing and peeing myself, coughing and peeing myself, walking and peeing myself...well you see? I always had constant bladder infections and had to wear thick pads all the time. My sex drive has actually gone through the roof and I have to use no extra lubrications. No pain, no bleeding, and no worries. I have more engery because I'm not anemia, I am happy because the pain is gone, and I don't have to worry worry about birth control either. I'd say it was 100% positive experience for me. I have no regrets. I had it recommended by 3 different doctors starting the age of 25.

I wouldn't tread into it lightly because you do put yourself at greater risk of developing osteoporsis and heart disease. Estrogen protects your bones and heart. It is a major surgery and not just one for convienence. It should give you better healthy and quality of life. The quality of life was an issue for me because i was sick, anemic, very tired and achy all the time. Now I'm very healthy and not sleeping on the couch all weekend because I was too weak and tired to do anything.

Last edited by Speckla; 10-03-2012 at 06:04 PM.
Yes, everyone I know who had it was satisfied. However, I have to amend what I said about "women of all ages." I don't think I know anyone your age who had this done and most of the women that I knew who had this done were 40 or older. Sorry - I didn't mean to mislead you. Also this is true:

"I wouldn't tread into it lightly because you do put yourself at greater risk of developing osteoporsis and heart disease. Estrogen protects your bones and heart. It is a major surgery and not just one for convienence. It should give you better healthy and quality of life."

Did you get a second opinion? Is there an option other than surgery? I certainly wouldn't do it without getting at least one other opinion. 30 is very young for such major surgery.
Protein sensitive
Every day is a gift
But if I am not mistaken, the lack of estrogen would only occur if she gets her ovaries removed. That is why my doctor counseled me to keep mine.
curlypearl likes this.

Last edited by juanab; 10-03-2012 at 08:04 PM.

I wouldn't tread into it lightly because you do put yourself at greater risk of developing osteoporsis and heart disease. Estrogen protects your bones and heart. It is a major surgery and not just one for convienence. It should give you better healthy and quality of life.
Originally Posted by Speckla
But the thing is, I am healthy. I don't have any diseases (that I know of) or symptoms or pain. The only thing wrong w/ me is that I'm bleeding everyday. So yeah, a hysterectomy would be more for convenience...and quality of life. But it would not be restoring my health.

And that's why I am having these doubts. It just doesn't seem like this stupid little problem warrants such a drastic solution. But that's all I have.

And I am expecting to keep both of my ovaries (unless he sees something wrong with them).

Did you get a second opinion? Is there an option other than surgery? I certainly wouldn't do it without getting at least one other opinion. 30 is very young for such major surgery.
Originally Posted by curlypearl
I did get a second opinion. Another lukewarm, halfhearted hysterectomy reccommendation.

I don't think anyone is going to give me a big, rousing, vigorous hysterectomy endorsement when they don't know what's wrong w/ me. I think they're all like WTH?

I'm 39, though.

It's very frustrating.

Ultimately you have do what you feel is best for you. If you feel is best to have the surgery, have it. I don't see as a drastic measure. It can be done laparoscopically, which is not as invasive.

Ultimately you have do what you feel is best for you. If you feel is best to have the surgery, have it. I don't see as a drastic measure. It can be done laparoscopically, which is not as invasive.
Yeah, the robot will be doing it laprascopically w the 4 tiny holes (baring any unforeseen complications).

Really, you don't see it as drastic?

OK, bc I am thinking it isn't either. I only get 4 weeks off work for it (if it's done robotically) and my dr said, I would probably be ready to go back after 2.

But if I am not mistaken, the lack of estrogen would only occur if she gets her ovaries removed. That is why my doctor counseled me to keep mine.
This is absolutely correct.
Protein sensitive
Every day is a gift
Do you trust these doctors? I know it is incredibly frustrating to go from one to the other, but someone should be able to give you a clear diagnosis and tell you why the hyst. is recommended for your condition.

I'm assuming you don't want to see another dr. but would you consider it? Is there a teaching hospital near you where you could get a really good diagnosis? Oe could you go back to one or both of the ones you've seen and try to pin them down?

So frustrating! I'm very sorry you are going through this.
Protein sensitive
Every day is a gift
I had a laparoscopic-assisted vaginal hysterectomy when I was 37 due to heavy bleeding and anemia with a hemoglobin under 7 that wouldn't respond to iron supplements. I kept my ovaries. Best decision I ever made!! Sex is just as good - if not better and I never had any of the complications that you listed.

That said, I wouldn't have done it IF I still wanted kids. But I had already had 3 and had already had a tubal ligation. I'm assuming you don't want any (more) kids. I'm also assuming that you've had the surgery pre-approved by your insurance company. You've got to have some sort of significant diagnosis beyond "light bleeding every day." And if the ablation didn't work, then I'm not sure what other alternative you have.... Best of luck. I think you have to trust your gut and do what feels right to you.
curlypearl likes this.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Trending Topics