Silver highlights?

Hi, ladies! I'm new to this group. At 43, I have black hair with maybe 5-10% silver coming in all on top and in back. For a few years I was dyeing it religiously, and then I started to think ... I could solve this tiny problem now or create a big problem for myself 10 years from now when I'm 50% gray and it's harder to grow out! So I've been dye free about 10 months and it looks a little weird, but I can live with it. I think it'll look nicer as there's more gray.

Has anyone ever done fine silver highlights in black hair? That's what I'd kind of like to do -- to get more variation toward the front, and because I think it could look funky in a good way. Bt I'm pretty sure my guy at Deva wouldn't do it. (I always wanted some blonde highlights and he always said no, it would damage the hair too much.)

Anyway, if you've tried it, I'd love to hear!
--
3b, fine, medium density, low porosity
CG for 10+ years!
Wash: CJ Daily Fix
Rinse-out: CJ Argan/Olive, Regis Olive Oil, something by Giovanni?
DT: CJ Hair Rehab, CJ Repair Me
Leave-in: CJ CCCC Lite
Styling: Deva Styling Lotion (HG!!)
Maybe you could use cream eyeshadow to test out the look? See: Blue Highlights, Anyone? | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Natural Hair Care
|| 3b; normal porosity; fine/normal texture || CG since Feb 2010 || SD/dandruff prone

Current Routine BAQ henna 1/month Leave-in OH Hair Dew Cheapie Conditioner Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing
Old Stand-bys extra-virgin coconut oil Protein AO GPB; Moisture AO HR Style AOMMJ Kept for troubleshooting.
Waiting to try extra-wide curlformers SD treatment H&S Clinical Strength

Hi, ladies! I'm new to this group. At 43, I have black hair with maybe 5-10% silver coming in all on top and in back. For a few years I was dyeing it religiously, and then I started to think ... I could solve this tiny problem now or create a big problem for myself 10 years from now when I'm 50% gray and it's harder to grow out! So I've been dye free about 10 months and it looks a little weird, but I can live with it. I think it'll look nicer as there's more gray.

Has anyone ever done fine silver highlights in black hair? That's what I'd kind of like to do -- to get more variation toward the front, and because I think it could look funky in a good way. Bt I'm pretty sure my guy at Deva wouldn't do it. (I always wanted some blonde highlights and he always said no, it would damage the hair too much.)

Anyway, if you've tried it, I'd love to hear!
Originally Posted by MaggieT
I've thought about this too. I wondered about silvering the back of my hair where it it still dark brown. You would have to bleach it more than once, then it wouldn't be white yet. You would need a violet toner. I agree with your Deva guy, it would damage your black hair. On a positive note, you could just be patient and those silver highlights will just grow in naturally over the next decade. Mine did.
If you figure it out - definitely share! I'm 35 & have 5 - 10% gray also. Mine are not gray though. They're white & extremely resistant. My fear is that someday soon I'll have to go from level 3 black directly to platinum.
Big Chop from hip - 5/2014
Enjoying the journey to APL or BSL!

Trending Topics