So I'm nearly 56 and the doc put me on birth control pills. : )

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By claudine19
  • 1 Post By rbb
  • 1 Post By rbb
  • 1 Post By rbb

Yes, we are all kind of amused by it all.
I know I've been whining the last few years about these horrible periods (every 2-3 weeks, super heavy for 6-7 days, huge clots, etc). I've been to 4 doctors, had many tests, and have spent thousands of dollars out of my own pocket to see what's what and what I should do about it, if anything.
Long story short, this issue could end on its own tomorrow. Or it could keep going for years.

So there are 3 options at this time.
1. Live with it.
2. Have various forms of surgery from outpatient to full blown surgery, which may or may not solve the problem.
3. Try the pill and if they don't regulate the periods, then go back to 1 or 2.

1. It's not life threatening (I get tested regularly for anemia, etc), it's only painful when there are big clots, and I could live with it if needed. It does interfere with life sometimes having to carry tampons and pads and make sure I'm near bathrooms and such. And I've ruined plenty of clothes and unders and bedding. But again, not life threatening.
2. I don't see the need for surgery just for my convenience. I also don't want to take time off work or time off from the gym, or spend the money.
3. We'll give birth control pills a go!
Still pretty funny for an old lady who was spayed 30 years ago.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Jeepy, I was spayed too, with the result of a worsening of my already bad cramps, etc. Just last week I tried to quit the pill after years and years, and the hell of it was just too much for me. I went back on it after six days.

Let's start a "we can't conceive but we still take the pill" club. We can get t-shirts!
KurleeEdna and curlypearl like this.

Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
^^ Let's do!! We can wear them with our beard hats. hahaha!
In Western PA
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
just be very careful with the pill. my friend went on the pill at 50 yrs old to help with her periods.
several months later she almost died from clots in her lungs. she literally came home one night, was in so much pain collapsed at the door. after a few minutes she was able to crawl to bathroom and take some advil. again after a bit she called her daughter who is a med student. daughter told her to immediately call 911 (why she didn't do it first most likely she was in shock i think) and to make sure she tells emts and hospital that she was on birth control pills.
that bit of advice saved her as they immediately looked for lung clots and found lots. she was hospitalized for almost a week as they dissolved the clots and then for a year afterward was on blood thinners, had to go weekly for blood tests.
about a year after she was off the blood thinners she had her blood tested to see if she had the type that tends to form clots, and the answer came back negative.

so, honestly, i think i'd give myself a time frame for sticking it out, then maybe have surgery.

i hate to be one of those people with horror stories, but i feel this is different as this is something very much in your control. ask your dr if you decide to take them how he/she will monitor for clots. my friend, of course, got herself a new gyn.
curlypearl likes this.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
^^ No problem. Yes, I'm aware that blood clots are the major risk with birth control pills. Horror stories are part of any medication. People die from taking the migraine meds I take all the time. And people die from surgery.

I'll give it a go for a few months and if it regulates my periods (my goal is to have just 1 per month like normal people), then great. If it doesn't then I'll just keep living with it till my ovaries decide to dry up and stop working (again, like normal people!).
In Western PA
all true. i guess just be aware. my friend had developed this cough that was puzzling to her internist and was put on allergy meds, thinking it was that. apparently it was the clots. i don't know if she mentioned that she was on the pill to her dr. as long as you are aware. and you are right, people die from surgery, meds, all the time. there is always a risk.
and i can relate to your periods. i went through that, had 10 yrs of perimenopause which started out heavy, shorter cycles, and then just got worse and worse. i was very lucky and went into menopause at 49 yrs!! i loved menopause and love being postmenopausal. i remember having to carry very large pocketbooks when i went out to carry all the 'supplies.' plus, it was very unpleasant and even at times scary. dr said it was hormones.... eventually you will reach menopause, has to be soon, right??
good luck, hope the pills do the trick!
jeepcurlygurl likes this.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
Gawh I would try them but I had to quit the pills in my mid-30s as they were raising my blood pressure.

I am like you with the crazy periods that are like one week bleeding and two weeks off and one week bleeding and...

I *do* still need birth control so using the Mirena. Still bleeding, and for more days I think, but much, much, much lighter. The anemia has resolved and my hair thickened back up so pretty sure it's fixed any actual health issues but it's annoying as hell to have to always wear panty liner just in case, and (TMI alert, I will leave a long space)

Bleeding for so many days changes my smell, I don't like that and it gets in the way of some activities...
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
I agree about the smell thing. I no longer like the way I smell.
In Western PA
I guess some people would say I had a hyst for convenince but so what, I'm glad! I had it less than two weeks ago and I'm thrilled. And yes, I had the Essure sterilization done four years ago.

I didn't want to mess around w/ any BC pills. But if that's the route you want to take, I hope they work for you.

And if you decide to get the hyst, if you get it done robotically, you would be well enough to return to work in two days (if your dr signed off).

Good luck. I was only spotting but even that was too much for me!
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

True, I'm not one to risk surgery just for my own convenience. That's just me. But the decision is certainly not easy no matter what. Age, risk, the type of surgery, and paying for it - all come into the mix. I'm still paying off my hand surgeries from a few years ago and will be paying just for the tests I had this year for many months to come. I can't add another surgery on top of all that.
And really, taking a pill every day is certainly no hardship. I have taken vitamins every day since I was a kid, I've been taking a thyroid pill every day for years. I don't see the difficulty of it.
In Western PA
One month into birth control and certainly not the results we were looking for. I've now had a period for 18 straight days. Nope, not what I was hoping would happen.
But I'll give it a couple more months and see if there's any change. If not I'll just save the $30 a month (no, my insurance doesn't cover birth control) and give them up and go back to my every 2 week 'omg I'm going to bleed to death' periods and wait for menopause to eventually come along.
In Western PA
can't believe the bc pills did not work! what a pain.
and, i so remember those type of periods. i had a long perimenopause, 10 years i think which is the ouside limit they say can happen, but on the positive side i hit menopause in my late 40s - yay!
i pretty much winged it too. two things that can be of some help which i am very sure your dr mentioned, avoid alcohol as it will make your periods heavier, and if it is pretty heavy, lie down with your feet up for a couple of hours (i know, who has the time during a work day?), it usually does the job.
good luck, you will eventually hit menopause, has to be soon, right??
jeepcurlygurl likes this.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
Jeep, I've learned a good deal over the last yr concerning my own hormonal issues and while i cant say i know all I've found a little help by means of research including one great woman. check her out, she even does appointments by phone >> Home - -
It seems to me she does not support the use of the pill in cases like yours, but i may be wrong.
nonetheless, it's worth having another opinion.
I'm using the progesterone cream now she advises for women in peri and it has done wonders.

laura
fine texture, porous,2c,3a&b (depending on humidity and length)Going gray

Wash: KCCC
Co wash~ Acure conditioner,JM Citrus Neroli
Leave in: KCKT, beatiful curls shae butter
Stylers: KKCC,
oyy... let me try that again.

Home - -
fine texture, porous,2c,3a&b (depending on humidity and length)Going gray

Wash: KCCC
Co wash~ Acure conditioner,JM Citrus Neroli
Leave in: KCKT, beatiful curls shae butter
Stylers: KKCC,
Jeepy, I have been following this thread with interest, but pardon my igonorance: when you say you were "spayed" long ago, that doesn't mean hysterectomy?
(it couldn't because then you would not be menstruating?)

I do hope you find something that works for you. This probably isn't much help, but when I took BC pills (for birth control) I had nonstop breakthrough bleeding, but kept changing brands until it stopped.
Thanks LL for the link. I will check it out, tho I'm not in peri yet according to bloodwork. And I'm really not willing to try another doctor and more doctor bills. I've already cancelled 2 doctor's appointments and 3 tests for this year. I'm just too frustrated with the costs.

Poochie, sorry that wasn't clear - "spayed" in this case is just getting my tubes tied. Not accurate I know but I've always used it because it amuses me.

This month was better on the pill as far as my period goes. I went a record breaking 25 days without bleeding and this period has been relatively light compared to the usual, but I don't think I can take the constant migraines. I'm used to having alot of them (around 15 days per month) but 25-30 a month is beyond what I am willing to live with. I think I'm done with this experiment.
I was thinking of trying Myomin but the cost is very high to me. I'll have to decide on that.
In Western PA
I've had good experiences with Mircette/Kariva. But I understand if you've had enough.

Dogs and nature abhor a vacuum.
http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
Thanks Jeepy. I wish you luck in whatever you decide to try next... keep us posted!
JeepCurlyGirl, you might benefit from enzymes. I started taking them for help with my knees only six days ago, and just had the easiest period ever. (I'm 48.) My daughter didn't take any until the first day of her period - the typical cramping and being in so much pain she couldn't function had started and I thought maybe the enzymes would help her too, and they did. I've watched her the last three days be laughing and doing things instead of being miserable and stuck at home moaning. I've been amazed, frankly. Too early to tell yet if they will help with the frequency of her periods but I have high hopes. One of the things enzymes do is clean up old hormones that are circulating round and round. Maybe that has something to do with periods coming too often?

The ones I'm taking are Vitalzym original formula. There are lots of reviews of them on Amazon, and there's a FAQ and other info on the website of energeticnutrition.com

Apparently our natural enzyme production begins to decline as earlier as 25 years old!

(I don't have any association with the company or anything, just wanting to pass on info that might help.)
I am birth control as well to control excessive heavy periods after having my tubes tied about nine years ago. I am 42. However I had to beg for them my GYN is super pro surgery. I don't want to take the surgery risk right now nor can I afford to be off work for 4-6 weeks with no pay. Plus I have taken this brand and type if birth control before with no complications. I will try the enzyme because I would prefer a more natural option.

Trending Topics