Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Over 40

Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By GrooviMomOf3
  • 2 Post By kathymack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #1

Default Where do I start?

I found this website by accident and I'm hoping to learn some things about my hair. I'm 44 and have been blow drying/flat-ironing my hair straight forever. I've never been comfortable with my naturally curly/wavy hair. But, I'm trying and wanting to embrace my natural hair but I have no clue how to take care of it. I'm the only person in my family with this hair and it seems to be getting curlier as I get older and since my hysterectomy last summer.

Where do I start??? It seems the top layer of my hair is a different curl/wave pattern than underneath which is much curlier. What do I do? Where do I begin?

Thanks.....
GrooviMomOf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #2

I would recommend looking into the curly girl method. There are some sticky's at the top of the forums that explain that better. The difference in your patterns could just be damage from straightening. Good luck and welcome!
RO: Yes To Carrots / Ion
LI: Biotera / Samy Big Curls Defining Cream
Gel: FSG, Volumax (Original and Mega)
Color: Henna
Tools: Diffusing
Rytoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:04 AM   #3

I ordered the curly girl book. I can't wait to read it.
Old 05-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #4

I don't find the CG Book all that great. However, the DVD makes it worth the price. It shows you how to style your hair. I could never use the copious amount of product they use, but it shows you how to handle your hair--GENTLY!

A good thing to know is your hair properties. Here's a link to help you with yours. Live Curly Live Free - Curly Hair Basics Once you determine you properties, you can look for others with hair like yours and see what they use. It's the best place to start.

Other then that, read, read and read some more. The e-book on the livecurlylivefree website has all the information you need in one place. I'd recommend that over the CG book.
rbb and curlygoinggray like this.

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:20 PM   #5

Thanks for all the great advice!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:26 PM   #6

I loved this site for learning tricks on my hair and how to apply products. After awhile you will learn who's products choices or applications methods work for you. When I first started I knew that if Mysteryflavored recommended something it would likely work for me!

I did spend a small fortune trying new things. An alternative to costly shipping and ordering full size products is to order samples from Kathymack. She always has lots of different things on hand and you only pay shipping once. It is a great option.
FrizzBgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Trending Topics[-]hide