Miss or Ma'am?

Like Tree14Likes

Ever since a guy called me "Sir," adding to my insecurity about looking like a drag queen, I don't care if I'm ma'am or miss.
Originally Posted by claudine191
Aw, damn. I had that happen once at Victoria's Secret!! DH and I walk in and the clerk was like "How can I help you gentlemen?" My hair was very short and I was wearing a leather coat and jeans. She was mortified once she realized I was a woman. LoL!

Anyway, no one calls me Miss and I'm just 35. I'm always "Ma'am". Suuuucks.

I've never been miss.

I must seem old as HELL.

At least no one else has called me a gentleman. So... Yay.
FroZen
OTOH say you drop something. Someone who doesn't know you sees. Miss or Ma'am is out. How do they get your attention? "Hey you!" "Hey Lady!"?
"Excuse me!" works whether I'm the one saying it or someone else is saying it.
Starmie likes this.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Seems to me the modern trend is for people - especially sales and customer service employees (and not just southerners) - to routinely call all adult women "ma'am". ... That could explain why a lot of women aged 16, 26, 36 or 57 are saying that people only recently started calling them ma'am. It may have a lot less to do with age and more to do with polite business and social practice.

... Or depending on how ma'am is used, it could be code for "bit@%". Same for use of sir. Sometimes it's code for a-hole
bobby likes this.
3b/c?

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

* 2 blogs this week: Pictures of My (Sorta) Big Chop! AND Turn a Nightmare Product into a Dream* My Albums
I'm from the South and we call pretty much everyone ma'am! I'm only 21 and I look like I'm about 15, but I get it all the time. It's the respectful thing to do here. When you're a kid, you are taught that you always say "yes ma'am/yessir". If you ever forget to say it, well you learn real fast.
Korkscrew likes this.
Huh. That's an interesting and plausible theory Korkscrew! I'd feel better about that.
Korkscrew likes this.
Seems to me the modern trend is for people - especially sales and customer service employees (and not just southerners) - to routinely call all adult women "ma'am". ... That could explain why a lot of women aged 16, 26, 36 or 57 are saying that people only recently started calling them ma'am. It may have a lot less to do with age and more to do with polite business and social practice.

... Or depending on how ma'am is used, it could be code for "bit@%". Same for use of sir. Sometimes it's code for a-hole
Originally Posted by Korkscrew
Your posts are always full of real world logic, Korkscrew. It's refreshing to see. I definitely agree that it's more of a social practice than anything age based. One thing I say a lot instead of "Miss" or "ma'am" is "honey" or "young lady." Depends on the setting. I've used "young lady" more than a few times on women in their 40s and they are flattered beyond belief.
2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
When I was working as a sales person I had a woman come up behind me and say excuse me ma'am but when I turned around she said with a snooty look on get face "oh, I mean miss" always rubbed me the wrong way. I was young at the time, early 20's and didn't mind being called either but her changing her mind like that made me angry!
Katie
2C/3a, Medium Texture, Normal porosity, High Density, Normal Elasticity (so says the LCLF Hair analysis)
Co Wash: As I am
RO: Yes To Carrots / Ion
LI: Biotera / Samy Big Curls Defining Cream
Gel: FSG, Volumax (Original and Mega)
Color: Henna
Tools: Diffusing
LOL Bobby. Everyone has a system I guess, in terms of how they address others. There's a lot I don't mind and a few things that rub me the wrong way. I tend to get skeeved when a guy calls me "honey" or "hon" unless it's an older family member ... it's a quirk, I suppose. Plus, it's slightly hypocritical because I will call other females "hon" or "honey" at times. I only tend to do that when it seems they're already feeling comfortable around me. But even then, who knows, I'm probably annoying a few people here and there.
3b/c?

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

* 2 blogs this week: Pictures of My (Sorta) Big Chop! AND Turn a Nightmare Product into a Dream* My Albums
LOL Bobby. Everyone has a system I guess, in terms of how they address others. There's a lot I don't mind and a few things that rub me the wrong way. I tend to get skeeved when a guy calls me "honey" or "hon" unless it's an older family member ... it's a quirk, I suppose. Plus, it's slightly hypocritical because I will call other females "hon" or "honey" at times. I only tend to do that when it seems they're already feeling comfortable around me. But even then, who knows, I'm probably annoying a few people here and there.
Originally Posted by Korkscrew
I am the same, when people I don't know call me honey it really bothers me!
Korkscrew likes this.
Katie
2C/3a, Medium Texture, Normal porosity, High Density, Normal Elasticity (so says the LCLF Hair analysis)
For me it just kind of became a somewhat of a habit when when I became a father as two of my three kids (6 year old and two 4 year olds) being girls. Though I generally wait for the woman to call me "honey" before I refer to her as such.
2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"
I accidentally called a male boss honey once when i was trying to explain something he wasn't getting. Like you would a kid. I was mortified and just hoped he didn't notice it.
Korkscrew likes this.
^ When I call my boss 'dear' he knows he has done something wrong or stupid. : )
Korkscrew likes this.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
^^ Right?! I'm always like "Honey, Naw. Just.., just stop. I got it. " lol!
Korkscrew likes this.
FroZen
For some reason I don't mind when a woman calls me honey, it's men that I don't know calling me pet names that bothers me lol
Katie
I once had a male coworker call me "Baby Girl." Creeped the heck out of me. That's definitely crossing the line. I'm bad about calling people hon. Maybe that's my Southern roots.

When it comes to Miss, Mrs, Ms, Ma'am....I don't sweat the small stuff. I don't feel anyone is trying to be insulting. I will answer to any of these. Men have only one title...Sir. I've known young males who have gotten offended when they are called that, because they feel that should be directed at an older man.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
I once had a male coworker call me "Baby Girl." Creeped the heck out of me. That's definitely crossing the line.
Originally Posted by Lotsawaves
I hear "baby girl" as a form of address, I think Derek Morgan (Shemar Moore ... mmm & his playful flirtation with Penelope Garcia in Criminal Minds.
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. - Jimi
2c/3a, BSL, medium, low porosity
Low-poo: Bobeam and CV poo bars; Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell
Conditioner: Acure Argan Oil & Stem Cell; Desert Essence Shea
Stylers: Sweet Curls Elixir Curl Cream; SM CES
PT: BASK Whiskey Soak
Shemar Moore can call me "Baby Girl" all he wants. Especially in the bedroom.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
I once had a male coworker call me "Baby Girl." Creeped the heck out of me. That's definitely crossing the line. I'
That's just plain weird. Ugh.
I once had a male coworker call me "Baby Girl." Creeped the heck out of me. That's definitely crossing the line.
I hear "baby girl" as a form of address, I think Derek Morgan (Shemar Moore ... mmm & his playful flirtation with Penelope Garcia in Criminal Minds.
Originally Posted by yossarian
I am guessing this guy was no Shemar Moore. Mmmmm ....Shemar Mooooore......

Trending Topics