CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Over 40 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/)
-   -   Help - My hair is lifeless, dull, faded (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/163075-help-my-hair-lifeless-dull-faded.html)

Digby 09-16-2013 03:43 PM

Help - My hair is lifeless, dull, faded

I've been coloring with a semi-permanent and it's such a hassle (and might be causing hair loss), so I want to stop. But I have mousy brown hair and I'll look washed out. Women with dark hair who go silver look gorgeous. Are there any brown-haired gals out there who've gone gray? How do you do it gracefully? And what do you use to counteract dryness and give your hair more shine?

I've used JessiCurl gentle cleansing cream, Aubrey's Organics green tea shampoo for clairfying, DevaCurl Low Poo, and some other non-sulfate cleaners. For conditioning, I've switched around with Aubrey's Honeysuckle and Rose, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, DevaCurl One Condition, and Recoil.

celticscryer 09-16-2013 05:57 PM

Another mousy brunette going gray here (though mine started in my early 20's, thanks mom!).

I think how gracefully it happens it all depends on how your grays are coming in. For example, I would have loved to rock a single, chunky streak of gray hair in my 20's. I would have even accepted it in highlight kind of streaks. Instead I got classic "salt and pepper" grays - just dozens of random gray hairs all over the place. So naturally I started dying it.

Back in January, I switched from box dyes to henna and my hair health has improved dramatically since then! It's shiny, more curl pattern has gotten stronger and I think it may even be coming in a bit thicker. The first couple of applications felt like they were drying my hair out, but since I switched to a CG conditioner that hasn't been an issue.

Digby 09-16-2013 09:36 PM

I was thinking about henna, but not sure I could do it myself. So it doesn't dry out the hair? What conditioner do you use? Thanks!

Firefox7275 09-17-2013 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digby (Post 2209344)
I've been coloring with a semi-permanent and it's such a hassle (and might be causing hair loss), so I want to stop. But I have mousy brown hair and I'll look washed out. Women with dark hair who go silver look gorgeous. Are there any brown-haired gals out there who've gone gray? How do you do it gracefully? And what do you use to counteract dryness and give your hair more shine?

I've used JessiCurl gentle cleansing cream, Aubrey's Organics green tea shampoo for clairfying, DevaCurl Low Poo, and some other non-sulfate cleaners. For conditioning, I've switched around with Aubrey's Honeysuckle and Rose, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle, DevaCurl One Condition, and Recoil.

Are you definitely using a semi permanent with no alkaline agents nor peroxide or could it be a demi permanent (weak peroxide)?

I am permanently dyed so hair is porous/ damaged, get shine from hydrolysed protein, flaxseed gel, natural oils. For dryness I use piles of leave in conditioner, panthenol and ceramides. Choose your ingredients and products based on your hair properties and dew points/ humidity.

Blueblood 09-17-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digby (Post 2209417)
I was thinking about henna, but not sure I could do it myself. So it doesn't dry out the hair? What conditioner do you use? Thanks!

No henna doesn't dry the hair out.

It feels like that for the first few days for a lot of people especially those who let water drench their hair fewer than once a week.

If you are grey you need to be careful how you use it. If you don't leave it on long enough (minimum 4 hours) you can get orange hair.

There is some good general henna info on this blog here and here

Digby 09-17-2013 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefox7275 (Post 2209490)
For dryness I use piles of leave in conditioner, panthenol and ceramides. Choose your ingredients and products based on your hair properties and dew points/ humidity.

Huh? I'm new here, and don't understand how to get this information. I have fine wavy 2A hair that gets weighed down and flat with too much conditioning, or gets flyaway with too much heat. It doesn't get very humid where I live.

Firefox7275 09-17-2013 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Digby (Post 2209661)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Firefox7275 (Post 2209490)
For dryness I use piles of leave in conditioner, panthenol and ceramides. Choose your ingredients and products based on your hair properties and dew points/ humidity.

Huh? I'm new here, and don't understand how to get this information. I have fine wavy 2A hair that gets weighed down and flat with too much conditioning, or gets flyaway with too much heat. It doesn't get very humid where I live.

Check out the stickies on the newbies board and on the general haircare board, there is a tool for dew points/ humidity on the main NC site, or the free NC 'Curls on the Go' app if you have a smartphone. Explore the tabs at the top of the page generally, there is a ton of information here on NC.

Curlini 09-25-2013 10:07 AM

Quote:

For dryness I use piles of leave in conditioner, panthenol and ceramides.
Firefox - could you tell us some examples of ceramides? Thanks! :icon_smile:

Firefox7275 09-25-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curlini (Post 2211326)
Quote:

For dryness I use piles of leave in conditioner, panthenol and ceramides.
Firefox - could you tell us some examples of ceramides? Thanks! :icon_smile:

In some haircare brands they will just be labelled as ceramides (eg. Komaza Care), L'Oreal label theirs as 2-oleamido-1,3-octadecanediol tho it does say ceramides on the front of the bottle.