Hair length and age.

Like Tree61Likes

Hair length and age.-imageuploadedbycurltalk1382747754.397665.jpg
I will be 45 soon.
Thought on hair length and age. I think age doesn't matter, but I am curious as to what others think.
I think women should do what they want to do as they age. Haven't we earned the right to make our own rules? At 51 I decided to grow my hair long, because I'd never had it past about mid-back. I grew it past hip in about three and half years. Then this summer I decided I wanted to go full CG and cut back to about shoulder. Not because I'm supposed to have shorter hair, but because I wanted to. And if I feel like growing it out again, I'll do that, too!
3a/b, F, normal porosity

Wash with either Suave Tropical Coconut, As I Am, or CJ Daily Fix
Condition with STC or Yes to Blueberries and detangle with Denman, rinse very lightly (baptismal rinse)
Add LAL gel, either Sport or Wet Look, scrunch with flour sack towel, and plop
Diffuse 5 minutes, then air dry
I have never understood why "they" [whoever "they" are], say that as women get older, they should wear shorter hair unless it is to make them look more "mannish" due to menopause.

I am going to grow my hair as long as I can and have long, curly, sensuous hair to go with this new liberation and sexuality I feel as being an older woman.

Changing my outfits as well, more flowing dresses, and skirts...colors and exotic styles.

Blessings!
My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!

Co-Wash - Pantene Naturals Co-Wash
Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
Leave In - SM CH Curl/Shine Conditioner
Hydration - SM CH Curl Smoothie
Styler - SM CH Curl & Style Milk
Deep Conditioner - LS Organic Cholesterol

None of anyone's business but yours and possibly your employers (within reason, in terms of colour and neatness, not length) how you wear your hair.

I am 40+ and intend to keep dying my hair unnatural colours and grow to waist. Once I am all white I'd like a pastel rainbow.

Most laws and many rules are based in logic, to maintain society, to stop us hurting one another. 'Growing old gracefully' doesn't fit in with that at all - it is nothing more than a whim of fashion since women have worn their hair long into old age for thousands of years. Sikhs don't cut their hair, the bible calls it a woman's glory IIRC.
Korkscrew, curlypearl and Curlini like this.
2a-2c, medium texture, porous/ colour treated. Three years CG. Past bra strap length heading for waist.

CO-wash: Inecto coconut/ Elvive Volume Collagen
Treatments: Komaza Care Matani, coconut/ sweet almond/ fractionated coconut oils, Hairveda Sitrinillah
Leave in: Fructis Sleek & Shine (old), Gliss Ultimate Volume, various Elvive
Styler: Umberto Giannini jelly, Au Naturale styling gelee
Flour sack towel, pixie diffuse or air dry.
Experimenting with: benign neglect
I quit going to a hairdresser because while she styled my hair FABULOUSLY, she always took off too much length and told me that once I hit a certain age, I would have to go shorter. Used her pre-CG and she did wonders for my waves/curls (although with silicone products and I couldn't reproduce the results at home). I quit going to her while still pre-CG, when I had let the time between trims elapse to about 3 months (oh horrors of horrors in her estimation) and she cut off two inches off my length (I didn't and still don't have split ends) while saying this is what my hair "needed" since I had gone so long between trims.

Since going CG in January 2013, I've realized I don't need a trim every six weeks (my hair is very healthy). l had a trim recently, after about six months and the Ouidad trained stylist took off a MINISCULE amount thus preserving my length at just past BSL. I am fairly certain that if I'd stayed with my pre-CG hairdresser, my hair would be shoulder length by now because in December I will be 50 and that would qualify as her definition of a certain age.
Now that I really look at it, it's quite a bit past BSL. Around my face, I have a fair amount of "natural" highlights, as I don't dye my hair (way too lazy). This is second day hair, too
Hair length and age.-imageuploadedbycurltalk1382892826.212981.jpg
I think hair should be worn as a woman pleases at any age.
I don't believe that once you become a mother you have to get the typical mom cut and sport shorter hair. (Unless that is what is desired). I see nothing wrong with women of any age sporting highlights, and longer lengths. I especially love seeing older women (+70) with long gray hair, I think it looks beautiful and majestic.
I'm a cranky 56 year old woman and will never let someone else decide what I should or shouldn't do with my hair, or what clothes I should wear, or what color lipstick I should wear. I do/wear what makes me happy.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Attachment 39364
I will be 45 soon.
Thought on hair length and age. I think age doesn't matter, but I am curious as to what others think.
Originally Posted by iaprilab

Which one are you? The longer lighter hair or the shorter darker hair?

I used to think when I turned 40, I would wack my hair off to shoulder length or shorter but now that I am 40, I just don't want to.

I see women on tv and IRL who are over 40 w/ long hair or long weaves and they look great. So I don't think it's a rule everyone needs to stick to.

I do personally think that once a woman's face (facial skin) starts sagging, a lot of long, flat, vertical hair will only pull it down further, visually. But some women's faces don't sag or they just don't care.

I think it's a good idea to re-assess your (gy) hairstyle every 5 yrs or so. Not for the sake of age...but bc faces do change and so do dress style, make up, lifestyle, etc.
Starmie and curlypearl like this.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

Last edited by spiderlashes5000; 10-30-2013 at 09:54 AM.
I think so much depends on your hair, your face, and your own personal style.

However, I will add that I know a woman over 50 who still dyes her hair black, adds blonde highlights, and buys little lace dresses such as would suit a pre-teen attending a formal dance. She's on her fourth marriage. Frankly, she looks weird. I'm not sure if it's the dresses or the big hair.........she also has a tiny body, so maybe it's the combination of her figure and the great big country music star-style hair. Too much hair; too little face.

Okay, so my answer seems to refer back to my opening statement: whatever suits you matters more than trying to stay young, or impose artificial standards of what's appropriate for one's age.
curlypearl likes this.

http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
^ And that's it exactly. That woman may look weird or not age appropriate to others, but if she likes the way she looks and it makes her feel good/confident/happy, then more power to her. Age should have nothing to do with it.
curlypearl and curlygoinggray like this.
In Western PA
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
I didn't know that there was an age that you "had to go shorter"?? Do people think this?? Will your hair magically fall off to the specified length if you don't cut it there? I don't get it..

I've seen old ladies with long hair, and I think it's beautiful.

Although I think some ladies go short, because they don't want to have the effort of longer hair anymore. That's what my mom did once she had a few kids.
curlypearl likes this.
2c-3a - coarse - normal-high porosity - high density - growing out to donate

NP/LP: KMF Whenever Conditioner/ YTCucs
RO/LI: Sevi Pumpkin Seed DC / CJ Argan & Olive Oil, KCKT, YTBbs
DT: Coconut Oil + scalp massage
OIL/STYLER: SM Elixir / KCCC
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
No rhyme or reason to that "rule." Who makes up these rules anyway? Maybe the idea is that older women aren't supposed to be sexual - ha ha - and that longer hair is associated with sensuality.

Your hair, your color, your length, your style, your choice! Enjoy.
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
I never really understood the society aspect to hair in general. Why? !
Yeah I need to know who decides these things.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
curlypearl and curlygoinggray like this.
Sometimes I get carried away and manipulate him too much. He tells me he's fine on his own but I never listen. I wash him less now and all in all we're happy.
Beast's Favorite Things:
Shea Moisture
Kinky Curly
Curl Junkie
Natural Stuff
BC #2: 10/2/13
2c/3a/3b w/ loose botticellis, whirls and curls,
Coarse, High Porosity;CG since 2007
I remember a grade school teacher I had when I was little. She was probably in her later 50's, and had long tail bone length grey hair. It was so thick and healthy it looked like some kind of magic unicorn hair. I thought it was so pretty. I hope mine will be long and magical looking when I am that age.
2a/2b, Medium Porosity, Medium Density, Lower Back Length, Growing out highlights.
Shampoo: SMMR Conditioner: SMMR or Organix Keratin Oil Leave In: Organix Shea Butter DC: Coconut oil, Olive Oil, Jojoba oil mixed all together with v05 conditioner.
“Imperfection is beauty.”
― Marilyn Monroe
Isn't it interesting the things that make lifelong impressions on us? I love long pretty grey or white hair.

But I also love a pixie.

http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
Well now I want magical unicorn hair!
In Western PA
I think hair should be worn as a woman pleases at any age.
I don't believe that once you become a mother you have to get the typical mom cut and sport shorter hair. (Unless that is what is desired). I see nothing wrong with women of any age sporting highlights, and longer lengths. I especially love seeing older women (+70) with long gray hair, I think it looks beautiful and majestic.
Originally Posted by Always@night
This... I think long gray hair is beautiful, but I hardly ever see it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
None of anyone's business but yours and possibly your employers (within reason, in terms of colour and neatness, not length) how you wear your hair.

I am 40+ and intend to keep dying my hair unnatural colours and grow to waist. Once I am all white I'd like a pastel rainbow.

Most laws and many rules are based in logic, to maintain society, to stop us hurting one another. 'Growing old gracefully' doesn't fit in with that at all - it is nothing more than a whim of fashion since women have worn their hair long into old age for thousands of years. Sikhs don't cut their hair, the bible calls it a woman's glory IIRC.
Originally Posted by Firefox7275
Well said Firefox. There's no perfectly good reason for women of any age to crawl up into some sexist fashion cage. ... Now that I think of it, men are also pressured to cut their hair too at an older age IMO, but still, it seems there's a lot less pressure on them to do so. Anyway, no one of either gender should feel pressured this way
bobby likes this.
3b/c?

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

* 2 blogs this week: Pictures of My (Sorta) Big Chop! AND Turn a Nightmare Product into a Dream* My Albums

Originally Posted by Firefox7275
Well said Firefox. There's no perfectly good reason for women of any age to crawl up into some sexist fashion cage. ... Now that I think of it, men are also pressured to cut their hair too at an older age IMO, but still, it seems there's a lot less pressure on them to do so. Anyway, no one of either gender should feel pressured this way
Originally Posted by Korkscrew
The whole idea of social norms is areal head scratcher for me. Like "you're supposed to do this, that, X, Y or Z when you are this age." Says who?
2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlta...-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"

Trending Topics