CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Over 40 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/)
-   -   A TJ Maxx cashier suggested I shop on Mondays.... (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/165333-tj-maxx-cashier-suggested-i-shop-mondays.html)

chloe92us 11-14-2013 07:04 PM

A TJ Maxx cashier suggested I shop on Mondays....

For 10% off for 55+!!!!!!!

Me: "but I'm not 55..."

Her: "well, I'm only 54, but they don't check IDs or anything. Giggle, giggle"

Me: "I'm 39."

Her: silence.

I'm rethinking this growing out the gray thing right about now!!! :cry:

sixelamy 11-14-2013 07:59 PM

Ouch!! :thumbdown:

If it's any consolation, in your pic you don't look a day over 29.

bobby 11-14-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixelamy (Post 2223867)
Ouch!! :thumbdown:

If it's any consolation, in your pic you don't look a day over 29.

I second that, no way in hell you are over 30! :)

Starmie 11-15-2013 01:40 AM

Oh Lordy. Maybe she'll think before she speaks next time.
I agree with the others though, you don't even look 39 in your pic, don't know what she was thinking.

Spider 11-15-2013 02:55 AM

Yea rude. But she was trying to be help. A few weeks ago hubby was sitting outside commissary with our almost 2 year old and a lady made a comment to him about the" boy having fun hanging out with grandpa". He'll be 40 this weekend.

mustangbunny 11-15-2013 10:50 AM

When I was in elementary school my mom bought me a video game and the clerk thought she was my grandmother. My mom looks FABULOUS but she's a tad older than most people's parents who are my age.

And she rocks the grey, so I bet you can too Chloe92us!

jeepcurlygurl 11-15-2013 12:42 PM

Oops. I feel bad for you AND the clerk! And yea, you look nowhere near any senior age group.
And both of my grandmothers had grandchildren before they were 40 so it IS possible! : )

chloe92us 11-15-2013 01:43 PM

I think it hurt because lately I've been thinking of having another baby!!!!! It probably won't happen- I think it's a mid-life crisis, lol....but there are probably more 40 YO grandmothers than 40 YO mothers with newborns!

multicultcurly 11-15-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chloe92us (Post 2224036)
I think it hurt because lately I've been thinking of having another baby!!!!! It probably won't happen- I think it's a mid-life crisis, lol....but there are probably more 40 YO grandmothers than 40 YO mothers with newborns!

Nowadays, especially for upper middle class and/or college educated women, it isn't abnormal to see many women in their 40s with newborns or toddlers. I am always shocked when I run into women who are under 35 that started having kids before age 27. I think the average age for college educated women having their first child is between 28 and 33, but I have met plenty of women in their late 30s having their first child. Btw, you look nowhere near your chronological age in your profile picture.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App

spiderlashes5000 11-15-2013 02:31 PM

I know that hurt.

Not that long ago we had a carnival day at my job and a guy I didn't know who was ddoing a guess your age, guess your weight or guess your birthday booth, put me at...I can't remember...like 50 or something. And he said it super loud, too. I was 39 also and I don't have a single gray hair on my head so I can't even use that as an excuse. Ppl normally think i'm much younger so I was really surprised and mortified.

I agree you look very young in your pic...not 40s or 50s.

CurlyInTheFog 11-15-2013 04:39 PM

Sounds like a classic example of someone who a) can't estimate age at all, and b) doesn't know when to keep quiet. I hope she learned her lesson. Anyway, you look much, much younger, so don't feel bad.

asugirl 11-15-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chloe92us (Post 2224036)

You can definitely do it. I had mine at 36 and then thought again about 42. If I hadn't had some complications that I learned about at delivery I might have gone ahead. I say 39 - do it.

curlyprincess1 11-24-2013 07:34 AM

I agree with the other ladies. You don't look 50! I've had those kinds of 'compliments' before, but know I don't look older, so I don't worry!
And this is why I cannot bring myself to keep the gray. I am getting my hair touched up today, actually!

Lady_Creole 02-04-2014 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider (Post 2223914)
Yea rude. But she was trying to be help. A few weeks ago hubby was sitting outside commissary with our almost 2 year old and a lady made a comment to him about the" boy having fun hanging out with grandpa". He'll be 40 this weekend.

Well, I guess with females having babies in groups at age 16 in today's culture, it would seem "odd" to some for a reasonably normal age person to have a toddler.

Personally, I don't think anyone should get married and or have children until they are at least 30 years old...fully grown. But that's just me.

LOL!

Lady_Creole 02-04-2014 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chloe92us (Post 2223856)

Probably a personal issue...ignore her. Anyone who puts everyone as a senior citizen just because they are one doesn't deserve your time. Don't allow it to mess up your day...week...month...year. I rarely care what women have to say about how I look, especially if it is a woman I don't know.

Snap your fingers, look in the mirror, tell yourself "I look good" and keep it going.

ashlyndmarie 02-04-2014 01:39 PM

+1000 I totally agree!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady_Creole (Post 2248310)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spider (Post 2223914)

Well, I guess with females having babies in groups at age 16 in today's culture, it would seem "odd" to some for a reasonably normal age person to have a toddler.

Personally, I don't think anyone should get married and or have children until they are at least 30 years old...fully grown. But that's just me.

LOL!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App

Speckla 02-09-2014 04:33 PM

I'm 39, look it, and I am about 50% grey. I've had people guess my age higher not due to how my face looks but by the amount of grey. Take the discount and run with it. ;)

Lady_Creole 02-13-2014 11:08 PM

Quote:

Should have said "meow" and sashayed away!!! [Women are "catty" all the time, she would have got it later]. LOL!

AngelaE8654 04-01-2014 02:48 PM

Quote:

Some people automatically equate gray with "senior citizen". When I was in college my WA State history instructor was also the men's basketball coach and he was about 6'7" and in my opinion, he was hot. Super hot, if you catch my drift. :D He was, however, prematurely gray/white. Many of the other students thought he was some old man and told me I was weird for thinking he was cute. He was only in his early 30s at the time, too. His face was smooth and wrinkle free and the only thing that looked even remotely "old" about him was his premature gray-white hair. If I remember right, he was actually just about completely white.

That is going to be an issue with some people if you have much gray in your hair, unfortunately.

Ms.Cabernet 04-02-2014 12:24 PM

I just had the oposite experience. I color my hair to cover the gray and a cashier just guessed my age and thought I was almost a decade younger that I am!
I'm just not ready for gray hair, not now, in my 40s. I might consider going gray in 10 years!