Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Over 40

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By jeepcurlygurl
  • 1 Post By 2poodles
  • 1 Post By Lady_Creole

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2014, 01:04 PM   #1

Default So ladies, anything you want to buy/change about your hair/wardrobe/makeup this year?

I've already gotten some of my purchasing goals accomplished.
More skinny jeans, check.
All stocked up on migraine meds and vitamins, check.
New red coat, check.
More boots, check.
New lotions and potions and makeup and nail polish, check. I'm currently loving the Palmer's brand of cocoa butter lotions and oils. They smell so good and are very rich for this dry weather. Cleaned out my nail polish. And I finally even found a red lip crayon I like.
New purses, check. Bright red, black, croco brown, one with flowers that look like a painting, a gorgeous deep burnt orange. I even threw out some of my old but ratty favorites.
Almost everything was from Ebay so much of it is recycled on top of being cheap!

As for hair, my goal is to just keep letting it grow and not do my usual midwinter chop when it gets dry and flat and drab.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, Ojon Restorative Treatment, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd

Last edited by jeepcurlygurl; 01-24-2014 at 08:20 AM.
jeepcurlygurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #2

I'd really love to get my hands on some of those Lanolips balms. Let's see if that happens.
I want to keep growing my hair out. So far, so good.
I have been buying pretty nail polishes but have been too lazy to actually wear them. I need to be better about that.

Co-wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle or Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
Rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm
Leave-in/Styling: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner with Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie on top
curry curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #3

^ When you try your pretty new nail polishes be sure to show us in the nail polish thread. We love to see pretty new nail polish!!
curry curls likes this.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, Ojon Restorative Treatment, oils, honey, vinegar.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #4

Default So ladies, anything you want to buy/change about your hair/wardrobe/makeup this year?

I'd be ecstatic to find 3 pairs of new-to-me jeans that fit great and are in perfect shape. I do at least 95% of my clothing shopping at thrift/second-hand stores, having always been low-income as an artist. Also a couple of new tunic tops(cotton only)to replace a couple that are just about worn-out(I do really wear my clothes to death). However, right now I'm very disgusted with shopping in general, even at my usual haunts, because the quality of clothing has gone down so much over the last few years, making it MUCH harder to find good stuff. I do need a new pair of everyday shoes but haven't gotten around to ordering just yet.
Hairwise, no big changes - I'm very happy with my cutter of 7 years - we tweak things a little from time to time.
Makeupwise - nothing save for replacing anything that gets used up(yes, I really do use up my makeup). I have just a small stash of things that work for me and aim to keep it that way.
caramix3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:07 AM   #5

I'm working to drop the 10 lbs I put on after menopause. What a nuisance. Once I do that, I'll reward myself with a few new outfits. I'm pretty much a jeans or yoga pants woman. Probably because I teach yoga and love to garden! As for hair, I'm going to experiment with letting the highlights grow out and see what the gray is like. If there is enough to make a statement, I'll leave it, otherwise I'll go back to highlights for a few more years. Regarding makeup, I'm pretty happy with my current regimen - sunscreen, concealer, mascara, eyebrow and eyeliner pencils and blush. Every once in a while I go crazy and put on lip gloss!!
curlypearl likes this.
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

2poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:35 PM   #6

I'm now 40 and maybe I need to give up the sexy, F me pumps and sky high heels. Not bc I'm middle aged but bc I have bad, painful, wide feet and not the best joints, and I'm old enough to no longer feel the need to keep torturing myself just to look cute. Who am I trying to impress???? I don't want any man who is going to base his decision of whether to date me on the shoes I'm wearing. I'm already tall so I can't claim to "need the height" like so many short women claim. And there are cute flats and midheight heels out there. Not many. But a few.

It's going to be a paradigm shift moving away from the stilts and not looking dumpy or overly casual.

I look at Michelle Obama, who often wears flats, and I can't help but feel she looks a little frumpy sometimes. I understand towering over the President wouldn't be a good look, but I think she could have a more commanding presence if she wasn't always in ballet flats and skimmers. Or the Cruella DeVille kitten heels.

I am starting to focus more on comfort. I'm no longer Ok w/ being uncomfortable in my clothes or shoes.

However, I have gained about 10 pounds, and I am worried this is a dangerously slippery slope to Fat n Frumpyville. First stop: sensible shoes. Then what? Vickie Lawrence in a short, curly gray wig, floral dress and rolled down support hose. I don't want to go there. Ever!

Last edited by spiderlashes5000; 02-04-2014 at 01:35 PM.
spiderlashes5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:50 PM   #7

^ It's hard to give up the sky high heels. I gave them up in my 30's just to save my feet and back. Now that I'm getting close to 60 I'm glad I did. But I can still picture my bronze strappy sandals with 5"heels and ankle straps. Man those were some great shoes.
This photo of the First Lady just came across my Facebook and tho I agree that she can look dowdy sometimes, I think she looks amazingly gorgeous and sexy and fresh and modern in this outfit, even without crazy shoes.
Attached Thumbnails
So ladies, anything you want to buy/change about your hair/wardrobe/makeup this year?-michelle.jpg  
Old 01-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #8

I started the on line Loseit program. I decided my emerging gray hair will look a lot better if I drop some pounds.
Myrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 01:17 AM   #9

My attire will become more exotic, love some of the clothing from other cultures, look more feminine.

New tailored business suits for work, more sun dresses for summer.

Low Porosity/Medium Density
Mid Width/APL-stretched/
BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!

Co-Wash - Tresemme' Naturals Conditioner
Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
Leave In - SM CH Curl/Shine Conditioner
Hydration - SM CH Curl Smoothie
Styler - KC Curling Custard - 1/4 prod + 3/4 purified water
Deep Conditioner - Deva Curl "Heaven In Hair"

Lady_Creole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:20 PM   #10

I want to start buying more good quality clothes. I don't buy tat as a rule, but I do find it difficult to spend money even when I know something is worth it. I want to look a bit more polished than I usually do.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:51 AM   #11

I wanna start wearing heels and sophisticated handbags. I am going into my twenties and I want to look like a responsible adult and not a high schooler. I want to improve on doing my makeup. Probably work out more, because I'm trying to go into law enforcement. I want to stop putting heat in my hair, though I rarely use it. I want to get rid of allll my split ends that I've had for a very long time. I might cut my hair very short since it's a new year and all.
Vmeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 12:22 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000 View Post
I'm now 40 and maybe I need to give up the sexy, F me pumps and sky high heels. Not bc I'm middle aged but bc I have bad, painful, wide feet and not the best joints, and I'm old enough to no longer feel the need to keep torturing myself just to look cute. Who am I trying to impress???? I don't want any man who is going to base his decision of whether to date me on the shoes I'm wearing. I'm already tall so I can't claim to "need the height" like so many short women claim. And there are cute flats and midheight heels out there. Not many. But a few.

It's going to be a paradigm shift moving away from the stilts and not looking dumpy or overly casual.

I look at Michelle Obama, who often wears flats, and I can't help but feel she looks a little frumpy sometimes. I understand towering over the President wouldn't be a good look, but I think she could have a more commanding presence if she wearing always seen in ballet flats and skimmers. Or the Cruella DeVille kitten heels.

I am starting to focus more on comfort. I'm no longer Ok w/ being uncomfortable in my clothes or shoes.

However, I have gained about 10 pounds, and I am worried this is a dangerously slippery slope to Fat n Frumpyville. First stop: sensible shoes. Then what? Vickie Lawrence in a short, curly gray wig, floral dress and rolled down support hose. I don't want to go there. Ever!

I LOVE my heels!!! However I only have a few that are 4 inches, most are 3.

If you are having a challenge with heels, maybe you should try "wedges". They are a bit more comfortable than heels:

So ladies, anything you want to buy/change about your hair/wardrobe/makeup this year?-wedge1.jpg

So ladies, anything you want to buy/change about your hair/wardrobe/makeup this year?-wedge2.jpg

So ladies, anything you want to buy/change about your hair/wardrobe/makeup this year?-wedge3.jpg

So ladies, anything you want to buy/change about your hair/wardrobe/makeup this year?-wedge4.jpg

So ladies, anything you want to buy/change about your hair/wardrobe/makeup this year?-wedge5.jpg

Go to the Macy's or Dillard's site, they have some beautiful ones.

Just a thought!!!
curlyprincess1 likes this.

Mid Width/APL-stretched/
BC - 12/2012

Last edited by Lady_Creole; 02-13-2014 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl View Post
^ It's hard to give up the sky high heels. I gave them up in my 30's just to save my feet and back. Now that I'm getting close to 60 I'm glad I did. But I can still picture my bronze strappy sandals with 5"heels and ankle straps. Man those were some great shoes.
This photo of the First Lady just came across my Facebook and tho I agree that she can look dowdy sometimes, I think she looks amazingly gorgeous and sexy and fresh and modern in this outfit, even without crazy shoes.
Yes, she does look amazing! Usually does when she is in meetings and events, [I don't care for all of her "casual looks" at times]. I don't care for the "flats" either however that is just my preference, I refuse to wear them.

Mid Width/APL-stretched/
BC - 12/2012

Old 02-04-2014, 01:41 PM   #14

I am loving the comfy footwear only decision!

I am also going to be adding more and more knits into my wardrobe and phasing out a lot of the wovens. I have a very hourglassy figure and stuffing myself into restrivtive clothing is a PITA. Knits are so much more forgiving and they are more flattering on my kind of figure.

I am also noticing I am becoming less and less tolerant of extreme temperatures, so I will make use of light layers more often so I can add and subtract more easily according to temp/weather conditions.

Old 02-04-2014, 02:29 PM   #15

^ I hope we get to see pics of any new comfy (or even non-comfy) footwear!
Old 02-05-2014, 02:08 PM   #16

^^^

OK, I will try. But with the weather being as crappy as it's been, it's mostly the two pairs I posted in the Show Us Your Winter Boots thread (the ones w/ the kiltie fringe and the Dr. Martens) w/ a tall pair of lace-up riding boots thrown in (similar to the ones you've posted yourself in but mine are black). Today in a pair of ubiquious Walmart snow boots. It's just that crappy out....

Last edited by spiderlashes5000; 02-05-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #17

^ I hear ya. It's craptastic here too.
Trending Topics[-]hide