Impotence and older men

Like Tree12Likes

Oh, and today, in the chemists, I saw a young man (probably early 20's, with what I assumed to be his young daughter in tow) studying a box of 'Erectomax'. I think it obviously affects men of all ages for any number of reasons.
3b in South Australia.
It may have been too much information for you,
Starmie, and it may have been somewhat tactless for her to share personal information with you. However, the issue of erectile dysfunction is very difficult for men to talk about, face, and get help for. So the more it is discussed and normalized, the easier it becomes to get help and/or address it. Menopause used to be a taboo subject too; my mother used to speak in hushed tones about "the change". I would like to see medical and psychological issues normalized, de-stigmatized and openly discussed without shame or embarassment. I would like someone to do for ED what Katie Couric did for colon cancer.
I don't know about most older men, but when I went with my mom (and dad) for her breast cancer surgery consult, she wanted to know how it would affect their sex life. Hello, Mom, your daughter is in the room! Anyway, my dad was about 80 or so at the time. As far as I know, everything went fine in that department. Not sure about now since he has dementia and is pretty frail, and I am not about to ask my mom. She is fine, btw. Very curable cancer. Surgery and no chemo or radiation.
curlypearl and curlyprincess1 like this.
3a/b, F, normal porosity

Wash with either Suave Tropical Coconut, As I Am, or CJ Daily Fix
Condition with STC or Yes to Blueberries and detangle with Denman, rinse very lightly (baptismal rinse)
Add LAL gel, either Sport or Wet Look, scrunch with flour sack towel, and plop
Diffuse 5 minutes, then air dry
Your'e right Myrna, I did think it was a bit tactless of her and wondered how her son would feel if he knew she was talking about it, and that was uncomfortable for me, though the conversation started out as one about the couple maybe separating and went from there. I think she just wanted to vent a bit and being psych nurses there's always someone to talk to and not many subjects that are off limits. He works as a fireman so I doubt that would be the sort of environment you'd want to talk about such a problem in and men are notoriously bad at opening up about personal things with their mates.
3b in South Australia.
It may have been too much information for you,
Starmie, and it may have been somewhat tactless for her to share personal information with you. However, the issue of erectile dysfunction is very difficult for men to talk about, face, and get help for. So the more it is discussed and normalized, the easier it becomes to get help and/or address it. Menopause used to be a taboo subject too; my mother used to speak in hushed tones about "the change". I would like to see medical and psychological issues normalized, de-stigmatized and openly discussed without shame or embarassment. I would like someone to do for ED what Katie Couric did for colon cancer.
Originally Posted by Myrna
Didn't Bob Dole? I mean, we didn't get to see the inside of his penis...but I think what he did helped a lot w/ public awareness.

Men are so big on objectification...then something goes wrong w/ a body part (male or female), and the person feels they are less than human.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

Yes, I think Bob Dole did but he was a little ahead of his time; and also, taking a little pill is not always the answer to erectile dysfunction. I think he normalized taking a pill; he did not normalize the problem itself, and, he as an "older" man could not speak to younger men who also may be troubled by ED.

I dont think its that men feel they are less than human if something goes wrong. It is simply that they do not have menstrual periods, give birth, and have to see doctors as often as women do. Also they do not talk with one another like we women do, so they are probably a lot more fearful when something goes wrong, where as we women will often first talk with one another for support and information.
I believe in most cases it has to do more with how a man takes care of himself - or not - than with age. For years I've been reading and hearing most cases of e.d. in older men are due to clogging of the arteries, which is a sign of early cardiovascular disease. Here's what Dr. Oz (who is a cardiologist) had to say about it: Dr. Oz Advice - Causes of Erectile Dysfunction

My 60 y.o. b/f began having some failures because he takes antihistamines and decongestants almost daily, so I "cracked down" on him because he knows fixing his diet may eliminate the need for all those OTC meds. He knows I'm very much into taking care of myself and he pretended he did too but is pretty self-indulgent. The way I see it is if he brings it upon himself for not taking care of his health I don't have to just "grin and bear it".
curlyprincess1 likes this.
ED is often related to an underlying medical condition, but not always.
I think it's more of a use it or lose it way of thinking. I believe the pipes should be cleaned out here and there. I think it's very important. Luckily, I've never had to deal with this. Good luck!
CGSince2002 likes this.
It's not easy being a princess, but hey, if the crown fits.
Going on a plant based diet very often rectifies this. It has to do with blood pressure, arteries and circulation. It's not the be all end all but probably a large chunk in the general population.
CGSince2002 likes this.
You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
ED is often related to an underlying medical condition, but not always.
Originally Posted by Myrna
True, but in older men most of the times it is.
23. Looking back, I'm 99% positive it was depression-anxiety related. But I didn't quite see it that way at the time. I was unhappy with my body, he had a wandering eye, so put the two together, I thought it was because I wasn't attractive enough for him.
fine - low/normal porosity - medium density - normal elasticity.

Currently using:
Cowash: Cure Care diluted with water 1:1
RO: Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime
Styler: UFD CM (old formula), FSG + CNPF
PT: IAgirl's gelatine

Experimenting with: no guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, gelatin gel

Recent findings: my hair likes Cure Care diluted with water as a cowash; does NOT like guar h.c.!

iherb discount code: CFN646
It's amazing how often we women tend to blame ourselves for all kinds of things...
It's amazing how often we women tend to blame ourselves for all kinds of things...
Originally Posted by CGSince2002
so true. hopefully we are getting wiser, learning how to care for ourselves in a healthy way.
wavydaze likes this.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine

Trending Topics