Jeans question

Like Tree9Likes

I notice Chico's for example, carries jeans they call "so slimming". What I want to know is how the bleep can low rise jeans be "slimming"? for anyone except those women who are already slim?
I notice Chico's for example, carries jeans they call "so slimming". What I want to know is how the bleep can low rise jeans be "slimming"? for anyone except those women who are already slim?
Originally Posted by Myrna
Some materials "hold" better than others. I love low-rise jeans, I had have a problem with jeans because I am "bootylious" and my waist is smaller so they gap in the back at the waist. With low riders I don't have to worry about that.
twirlygranny likes this.
My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!

Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
Leave In - SM CH C&S Cond.
Hydration - SM CH Curl Smoothie
Styler - SM CH Curl & Style Milk
Deep Cond. - SM Manuka & Mafura DC

I'm not familiar w/ Chico's jeans (love their colorful ornate jackets, tho)... but if someone has a paunchy belly, low rise is better. It's better that the paunch be held above the waistband of the pants than it be smashed down under the pants fabric. That creates front butt. If the paunch is just kind of suspended above the waist of he pants, it can kind of disappear under the right kind of top. This assuming the paunch isn't enormous...like a peniculus or something.

If you have love handhes (side flab) but a flat stomach, then higher rise is better.

Have you tried on a pair? Maybe you'll be pleasantly suprised?
Spiralli likes this.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

I'm a real Chico's fan but have not tried their jeans. Have you tried "NMDJ" (Not My Daughter's Jeans) from Nordstroms? They are stretchy, stylish, and NOT low riders. They are about $100 a pair but well worth it!
curlypearl likes this.

I'm not familiar w/ Chico's jeans (love their colorful ornate jackets, tho)... but if someone has a paunchy belly, low rise is better. It's better that the paunch be held above the waistband of the pants than it be smashed down under the pants fabric. That creates front butt. If the paunch is just kind of suspended above the waist of he pants, it can kind of disappear under the right kind of top. This assuming the paunch isn't enormous...like a peniculus or something.

If you have love handhes (side flab) but a flat stomach, then higher rise is better.

Have you tried on a pair? Maybe you'll be pleasantly suprised?
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
I'm not familiar with Chico's jeans, either. I do have Dockers "skinny jeans." I find your comment about low rise jeans and paunch interesting. I am one of those folks who is very straight through the butt and hips. Most woman's pants are baggy in the thighs and under the butt. The skinny jeans are tighter and more flattering if one isn't "curvy." Had two abdominal surgeries this spring and still have swelling in the upper abdominal area, but no love handles. I find that the low rise jeans squeeze everything up. They are really flattering if I wear a sweater or non fitted shirt. If I wear a clingy silk or cotton tee shirt, you see a roll. Doesn't happen with higher rise pants or shorts.
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix and CCCC
I'm another one who feels better in low rise jeans (not super low, just an inch or 2 below the belly button). Even when I'm heavier I think they suit an hourglass figure better, holding in the stomach area.
My favorite brand right now is ANA at Penney's. I have 6-8 pairs in different styles and love them all.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**

I'm very short waisted so low rise pants in theory are supposed to look better. However, I think they contribute to a muffin top on me, so I prefer a normal waist/rise. I like either NYDJ (which are pricey) or even just the Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans that I can pick up for $15/pair at Costco. I have those in every color since they're so inexpensive and I save my NYDJ for going out at night.
curlypearl likes this.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Well, here are my two cents. I think pricey jeans are a total rip off. I like Chico's So Slimming, they are wonderful, comfortable. Also - and it the ONLY thing I will buy from Walmart - are their Faded Glory on line straight leg jeans - all washes, Talls, regulars and petites. The only thing is that in some washes I have to go up a size. And guess what - they are $12.00 I will have to look in to the Penney's ANA and the Costco. I do not like a boot cut, however. I like them on other people, just not on me. I prefer a narrow straight, not skinny, leg.
Jeans have gotten REALLY expensive over the last 10 or 12 years or so! Paying $200/pair is seen as almost a foregone conclusion for some ppl. I'm really resisting that practice as much as I can. But I have bought some premium denim here and there and I have to say, I LOVE IT!
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

I recently tried J.Jill's Tried and True straight leg jeans and I love them! Got them on sale for about $30, and I would gladly pay full price for them (but will try to wait for another sale).
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
No idea if expensive jeans are better or not, but I don't think I have ever paid over $30 for a pair of jeans in my life, and usually much less. I would just rather have 15-20 pairs of jeans instead of 1 or 2.
And now I'm in the mood for some more jeans!
WurlyLox and curlyprincess1 like this.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**

I have some that I got off Ebay that I really, really love!
It's not easy being a princess, but hey, if the crown fits.
Curlyprincess, what brand did you get from Ebay that you love?
Forever 21 has some awesome jeans for between $10-$15/pair. I bought 3 pair the last time I went in there and I love them. I'm not ever going into the $200/pair club. No thank you. I'm going to check Sam's since someone above mentioned Costco had nice jeans.
My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
EVOO
HEHH
TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
Aloe Vera Gel
Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

Me
I live in jeans. Just got a new pair this weekend. I don't know why I even try to go anywhere other than a western store. That's the only place that carries every size jean and some especially for curvy women. I highly endorse Wrangler "Mae" jeans. Highly.
2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
Some materials "hold" better than others. I love low-rise jeans, I had have a problem with jeans because I am "bootylious" and my waist is smaller so they gap in the back at the waist. With low riders I don't have to worry about that.
Originally Posted by Lady_Creole
Oh! That was another Wrangler style they had. Q-baby. Cut slightly higher in back and lined to stop that gap thing.
2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
I'm very short waisted so low rise pants in theory are supposed to look better. However, I think they contribute to a muffin top on me, so I prefer a normal waist/rise. I like either NYDJ (which are pricey) or even just the Gloria Vanderbilt Amanda jeans that I can pick up for $15/pair at Costco. I have those in every color since they're so inexpensive and I save my NYDJ for going out at night.
Originally Posted by 2poodles
My entire life, I've never tried on a pair of GVB that fit right. Never. Which stinks because they are more affordable.
Jeans have gotten REALLY expensive over the last 10 or 12 years or so! Paying $200/pair is seen as almost a foregone conclusion for some ppl. I'm really resisting that practice as much as I can. But I have bought some premium denim here and there and I have to say, I LOVE IT!
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
Seriously, find a western outfitters store. The "rock" brands are still way pricey but you can find nice jeans that fit for 60 or less.
No idea if expensive jeans are better or not, but I don't think I have ever paid over $30 for a pair of jeans in my life, and usually much less. I would just rather have 15-20 pairs of jeans instead of 1 or 2.
And now I'm in the mood for some more jeans!
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
Lucky you! For me, jeans are like bras. I have to pay for what fits. I spent 4 hours Saturday going to 5 stores, looking for cheap jeans. No go. Finally I gave up Sunday and just went where I know I can find great jeans that fit. I still got them on sale but for 42.
I live in jeans. Just got a new pair this weekend. I don't know why I even try to go anywhere other than a western store. That's the only place that carries every size jean and some especially for curvy women. I highly endorse Wrangler "Mae" jeans. Highly.
Originally Posted by chupie
That's a great idea Chupie! The only jeans that have seemed to fit me properly are mens jeans. Lately I haven't been able to find jeans made for hourglass and pear shaped women. I'm proportioned but petite and I hate when jeans emphasize the hips without being wide leg or boot cut because I look horrible in them.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed

Trending Topics