Body part hardest hit by age/gravity?

Like Tree10Likes

What area of your body has deteriorated the most in appearance and tone as you've aged?

i've always had a couple of dimples in my butt cheeks. But now they are a big, mushy, dimply mess. I'm even getting dimples in my upper thighs. Used to have great thighs...

Not sure if I can do anything about the flabby, dimply butt bc even when I was young and thin, I always had a fat butt. It used to be more solid and smooth then, tho.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

As for gravity, boobs and butt are affected the most for me. And I guess jowls are at least partly caused by gravity.

Age is pretty much noticeable everywhere. Hair, face, skin, hands, neck, nails.

I don't stress over it too much. There are days that I'm shocked when I look in the mirror but most of the time I just try to remember all the fun I had getting those wrinkles and age spots and cellulite, and that I survived all those things that gave me those grey hairs.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Boobs and butt. A well-fitting bra really helps with the boobs. I'm still looking for great yoga pants to help camouflage butt cellulite a bit better. I wear athleta yoga pants and they do a fairly good job - but I like to wear a long top with them for added cover-up.
curlyprincess1 likes this.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Face. I'm aging like both of my grandmothers put together. Sigh...
curlypearl likes this.
Started CG July 8, 2008

Pre Co-wash: Coconut oil (plain & rosemary)
Co-wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle or Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
Rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm
Leave-in/Styling: Moisture Maniac with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner on top
My butt is getting droopy. It makes me sad!
I'm going to go ahead and say 3a
fine/medium texture and a bit porous-I color
Spring routine: Renpure luxurious argan oil shampoo/Loreal Advanced Care Color conditioner , HETT gel
Microfiber towel/diffuse
Trying KKCC
The butt is okay, but somehow a dirigible-shaped puff of fat has accumulated right in the center of my stomach.

Also, my upper arms are not.....firm. They used to look like fettucine — long and narrow — but now the top looks more like a shell waiting for a blop of ricotta cheese. I can only imagine how much worse it would be if I didn't routinely walk a dog who pulls me like the Little Engine that Could.

Oh, and my upper eyelids are getting saggy. I remember this happening to my father. I don't mind too much because I look more like I feel now, and less like a chipper little woodland creature.

http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com

Last edited by claudine191; 02-07-2014 at 05:04 PM.
My boobs and bum are definitely heading south but don't worry me overly much, my bum's always been big (I'm a pear shape) so I'm kind of over being self-conscious about it, and it seems boobs are a pretty common thing to go, so I'm just running with the crowd there!
My upper arms are not a pretty sight however, nor is the double(ish) chin.
3b in South Australia.
I say the boobs, there's only so much exercise can do for them, but the butt, thighs, etc. just requires a good workout with weights. My present problems in other parts of my body are due to carrying excess pounds, I'm sure when I can finally shed them my body will look much better, including my big arms which have some cellullite... I take care of my skin by eating lots of vegetables and fruits, taking vitamins/minerals and using as little soap/body wash on my skin as I can get away with.
As for the boobs, mine seem to have gotten bigger as I have gotten older. I believe in having much support in that area. I wear a bra all the time now.
It's not easy being a princess, but hey, if the crown fits.
Mine did too, and they're not badly sagging, just drooping like bigger breasts usually do... but I do not wear a bra at home, it's my personal opinion that it's not healthy to wear one all the time and there's no real proof that doing it prevents sagging. In fact, when I was younger in a gym the instructor told us that it was good to not wear a bra at least occasionally to give the muscles and ligaments a chance to get stronger...
I have been very thin all my life so no up and down weight. I guess i thought that was what caused older woman's arms and thighs to sag. So i was just watching my face as i got older and was surprised that about the time I turned sixty, my upper arms began to look like 80. The sagging and wrinkling has surpassed my face, now at 67 YO. I guess i should be thankful but having to keep those arms covered in Texas heat is a pain.
I'd say tummy and boobs to some extent - My breasts got larger - I always had a nice dainty 34-B but now they're a full C, even with not that much change in weight. So I finally went and got fitted at Nordstrom and got a great style for me. My only trouble spot is my tummy, but since it's not too far-gone, I know that would be fixed if I tightened up on my diet a little more, and did more cardio in addition to my strength-training workouts. Working on all of them I've had a good workout program in place for a good while now, so my arms and legs are actually in pretty good shape at nearly 67.
Muscle loss, as well as some hormonal changes, accounts for the laxity in the arms and legs, if not the whole body, that many women experience as they age if they don't do anything about it. And that lost muscle gets replaced by fat, so someone can find themselves weighing about the same as they used to, but now they're larger because the fat tissue takes up a lot more room than denser muscle tissue. If not attended to, this body composition shift can really impinge on our ability to live independently as we age further, not to mention putting us at higher risk for injuries from falls, as well as serious disease(from the increased fat). Hormonal shifts tend to put on fat around the mid-section, causing all kinds of problems. Lest all this sound dire, age-related muscle loss can be GREATLY slowed down by a solid workout program, and one might not experience frailty until much later in life(like 80s and 90s maybe, although there are some of those folks who are still going strong too, so it's possible.) And that mid-section can be controlled to a great degree by paying even more attention to one's diet. A lot of mature women are much more sensitive to carbohydrates(especially refined starchy ones)than formerly)and have to cut back on those or in some cases even eliminate ALL starchy carbs and even fruit(personally I would just die if I had to do that!)in order to get rid of the mid-section menopausal pudge. Bumping up one's protein helps, it also helps with building and maintaining muscle mass in conjunction with working out. Also, one needs 200 calories less per decade, just to maintain one's weight, so if aiming to lose, one does have to tighten up even more than one thought one had to, and get more exercise. By working out, I mean good old hard work at the gym, or a great home program if one doesn't have gym access.
All that said, we won't have 20-year-old bodies back, but we can be healthy, strong and well-shaped according to our individual body builds. That does not look like what's in the magazines but is much saner and healthier to boot. Plus one FEELS better too!
I know this got kind of long, but this is a subject I feel very strongly about, that of health and fitness into our later years especially.
Aging and body changes are difficult and inevitable aren't they but good genes help I suppose. I don't think I inherited those genes though At 50, I look a bit more tired and my stomach is not as flat as it used to be (and I am thin) and my knees are a bit wrinkly. I am trying to work out and I found a funny book to help me cope with the changes I See You Made an Effort: Compliments, Indignities, and Survival Stories from the Edge of 50: Annabelle Gurwitch: 9780399166181: Amazon.com: Books
Neck! Everyone wonders why I tilt my head for photos. LOL it camouflages turkey neck...to a degree!
@koolkurl: yes, genetics do play into this to a certain degree, but at the same time, even with good genetics, if one abuses them that doesn't get anyone anywhere does it? With excellent genetics, it just might take longer for said abuse to show up and reach critical mass. Conversely, even if we're dealt with not such a great hand, all that means is that we might have to be more vigilant and work harder with some things. Also to realize what one can improve(weight, fitness performance), and what's innate(body structure, certain flexibility aspects). A larger-boned more heavily-built woman is never going to look like the willowy ballerina - she risks going right into an eating disorder if she tries. But said woman if she works out well can be powerful, sleekly built, like a big cat. How cool is that? Just like that delicately-built long-boned ballerina is going to be challenged to add muscle size to her frame. However, if the ballet dancer gets onto a good program and eats well, she will become stronger, and have some beautiful shape and definition going on. Then there are some people who put on muscle at the drop of a hat(the mesomorphs among us), and those who gain fat if they even think about eating a sandwich, so it goes all over the place. Still, one can do something within one's parameters.
Lest anyone think they can't do anything because they're "over 50", let me remind everyone that in a nursing home with frail 85-year-olds and older, some fitness people started the folks off with light dumbbell exercises they could do in their wheel chairs. A number of weeks later, measurable increases in strength and muscle mass were noted. If they could do it, certainly middle-aged people who still have all their abilities can definitely do something. At my gym, I see several disabled people working out. One guy has only one arm, but he does beautiful, soulful yoga. Another young man, who lost his legs below the knee, is there several times a week in his wheelchair, but able to use a number of the machines. He's in quite good shape too. As someone who suffered a knee injury a few years ago now, and recovered, I'm inspired when I see people who have had worse things happen and they're persevering.
Also, there's so much stuff heaped on us as aging women it's no wonder that many just throw in the towel and just get resigned to stuff. Sure, things change, but one can learn to work with them in a positive manner. None of us are perfect, but if we're working on improving our general health, that's excellent - any move in that direction is good! I'll have to check out the book synopsis, or maybe our library has it.

Last edited by caramix3a; 05-02-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Ankles, when did i get old lady cankles? So unattractive and old lady.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CurlTalk App
Boobs and abdominal muscles for me. A good bra definitely helps with the first, but I really struggle to keep my abdominal area looking "not lumpy".
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
@koolkurl: yes, genetics do play into this to a certain degree, but at the same time, even with good genetics, if one abuses them that doesn't get anyone anywhere does it? With excellent genetics, it just might take longer for said abuse to show up and reach critical mass. Conversely, even if we're dealt with not such a great hand, all that means is that we might have to be more vigilant and work harder with some things. Also to realize what one can improve(weight, fitness performance), and what's innate(body structure, certain flexibility aspects). A larger-boned more heavily-built woman is never going to look like the willowy ballerina - she risks going right into an eating disorder if she tries. But said woman if she works out well can be powerful, sleekly built, like a big cat. How cool is that? Just like that delicately-built long-boned ballerina is going to be challenged to add muscle size to her frame. However, if the ballet dancer gets onto a good program and eats well, she will become stronger, and have some beautiful shape and definition going on. Then there are some people who put on muscle at the drop of a hat(the mesomorphs among us), and those who gain fat if they even think about eating a sandwich, so it goes all over the place. Still, one can do something within one's parameters.
Lest anyone think they can't do anything because they're "over 50", let me remind everyone that in a nursing home with frail 85-year-olds and older, some fitness people started the folks off with light dumbbell exercises they could do in their wheel chairs. A number of weeks later, measurable increases in strength and muscle mass were noted. If they could do it, certainly middle-aged people who still have all their abilities can definitely do something. At my gym, I see several disabled people working out. One guy has only one arm, but he does beautiful, soulful yoga. Another young man, who lost his legs below the knee, is there several times a week in his wheelchair, but able to use a number of the machines. He's in quite good shape too. As someone who suffered a knee injury a few years ago now, and recovered, I'm inspired when I see people who have had worse things happen and they're persevering.
Also, there's so much stuff heaped on us as aging women it's no wonder that many just throw in the towel and just get resigned to stuff. Sure, things change, but one can learn to work with them in a positive manner. None of us are perfect, but if we're working on improving our general health, that's excellent - any move in that direction is good! I'll have to check out the book synopsis, or maybe our library has it.
Originally Posted by caramix3a
I SO completely agree with you! Because of all my own observations and reading I'm of the strong opinion most of the signs of ageing don't just happen to us, we ALLOW them to happen. As you said too, very often because we have too much on our plates and the stress just makes want to relax so we avoid "hard" things like working out or cooking healthier meals, or we do a half-hearted effort and don't tackle the problem of muscle loss.

I am very glad that you brought up working with weights, a number of years ago I bought the book "Strong Women, Strong Bones" which gave me hope of avoiding in the future becoming like the lady in the TV commercial that said "I've fallen and I can't get up!" Although I've always been a believer of the benefits of exercise and always practice some form of it (or more), during the past year because of a lot of stress in my life I've been less dedicated and have indulged too much on the processed carbs so I've piled up additional pounds, most on my torso, typical sign of excess cortisol weight gain. But after a recent trip to FL which brought all that up front to my attention I've decided to cut out most sugar and starches and include more fiber in my diet, but also exercise more, especially with dumbbells.

I want to be able to live alone and take care of my own needs for as long as I can so I know it's up to me to achieve that, but I also want to look as good as I can for as long as I can and that's an added benefit to putting some effort in taking care of ourselves instead of resigning ourselves to "genetics" or just the passing of time.

Im a contradiction to most of the solutions to my aging problems. As far as loss of muscle tone in my upper arms that sag and are wrinkly, i have been athletic all my life and still am. I do nightly squats, situps and lift dumbbell weights. Two things are an incentive; (1) i have a horse and love to ride her at a canter and need core muscle strength to do that plus climb up on the saddle with ease and 2) my Mother lived to be 93 but she didnt walk well the last ten years. But with all that at sixty my arms sagged as if I had yo yo dieted. Some tell me that I have not maintained enough weight to fill out my arms properly.

The other aging issue I have is high cholestral. I weigh 103, am 5'4' same as in high school. Another contradiction, to me anyway. So i have had to get serious about a diet with only the right foods, never straying, so as to avoid statin drugs, just refuse to take those.

So I tell my husband, it doesnt matter what you do you dont get away with anything as you age!
That's because exercise alone can't give everyone good muscle tone. I have great muscle tone (even under the fat parts, lol!) and I believe it's because I've always eaten sufficient protein and taken quite a few supplements, including all the ones mentioned here, so check the list out and see if there's some you may need to start taking.

High cholesterol may be due to slow thyroid function. Some supplements can also help lower cholesterol, off the top of my head granulated lecithin (which I've also taken) and iodine taken with selenium (which are thyroid essential minerals).

Trending Topics