Have you changed your makeup as you got older?

Like Tree20Likes

My Boom sticks came today. Going to be nice for quick face!
Originally Posted by chupie
What are Boom Sticks?
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

My Boom sticks came today. Going to be nice for quick face!
What are Boom Sticks?
Originally Posted by spiderlashes5000
Boom by Cindy Joseph I don't know if I can post a link.
spiderlashes5000 and dixygirl like this.
You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
Used to be able to just slap on some blush, a little concealer as needed, mascara, lip gloss and that was fine unless I just wanted to play around with more.

Now at almost 58 I long for those days. Many brown spots and broken capillaries, rosacea, and folliculitis redness on my chin require a lot more to look halfway presentable. I do try to pile on as little as possible, but I won't leave the house except to run thru a drive-thre or something without slapping on something to tone all that down a little. Lasers and IPL have been tried without enough success. I've finally quit spending my money on it.

It still swear by Lancome Effacernes supposedly undereye concealer for all that - I don't use any foundation, just pat that on where needed (If you want to see why/how, look at the most helpful review for it on www.makeupalley.com where I explained in detail - "auntnett") I keep trying other things, but I keep eventually going back to it - it's been well over 20 years now. It works better with my still-fairly-oily skin for the most natural look with the coverage I need.

I don't use shadows and lipsticks with much glitter or frost as it just accentuate lines. I go easier on undereye liner than I used to to keep it from looking too harsh. Otherwise, I tend to stick with the same color families, etc. and haven't changed too much else, though I do keep up with and try out new techniques/tools/products and adopt what works well for me.
rbb and curlypearl like this.
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
Yes. Foundation, for one thing. I never wore ANY up until I was around 50, and only started wearing a little on account of hyperpigmentation(aka sun damage)that my skin is too reactive to really treat, so makeup it is. Lest one think I'm going around with a masky look of foundation, not so. I just found one that's worked for me for a few years now and it looks very natural on the way I apply. They always tell women to lighten up on foundation especially as we age, but that might stem from the stereotype of the aging woman with caked-on makeup and in the wrong color besides. Foundations have greatly improved and there's something for everyone who chooses. The main concern is not applying so heavily that everything settles into lines - not a good look for anyone. Getting the right shade and formula for one's skin is key and it's worth spending a little more for that, plus the better textures and finishes.
For lips, I've had to go with more muted colors, warm-neutral in my case. Again, they tell women to go with bright lipsticks or very light ones as they age but that doesn't necessarily work on everyone.
For eyes, I still do them - just not scary looking stuff. No hugely sparkly stuff but I will wear shimmer selectively. Always matte in the crease though. Again, eye shadows have greatly improved textures and there are indeed low-level pearls that add light to the face and don't look so flat as all-matte. Again, what one does around the eyes depends on how one's eyes are aging. Hence I can still wear low-level pearl and shimmer on lid and browbone. As far as colors, I do tend to stay with warm-neutrals, with accents of gold, bronze, deep green, deep teal, copper, plum, mostly in eye liner pencils. This allows me a hit of color while the rest of the eye is more neutral and keeps it from being boring.
Blush - again, I tend toward the more warm-neutral, not-bright looks - I feel it looks better and more believable on me.
Probably the biggest thing I do is really blend makeup well as I feel this becomes more important with getting older. Just because I'm older doesn't mean I'll quit wearing makeup - it just gets adjusted a little along the way. My aim is to look like myself on a good day LOL!
curlypearl likes this.
Caramix, what is the new foundation that you found that you like?

Everyone, thanks for input!
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
@curlypearl: The foundation I use isn't new - it's been out for a few years now, and I'm WELL over 50(will be 67 next month to be exact. It's MAC StudioSculpt. I do have to mix a tiny tiny bit of NC 25 in with the NC30 as I'm inbetween shades now. What I do that makes my foundation look natural on me(aside from the good match)is to just take tiny blob of it(since it's a creamy one in a tube rather than liquid in a bottle), rub it between my fingers a bit and then apply from the center of my face out, so that it sheers out by the time I'm out to outer edges of face and jawline. Then I warm my hands by rubbing them together and press palms into face. The heat of the hands, plus the pressing, melts the foundation more into the face and it looks MUCH more natural than just sitting there on top of one's skin. This palms tip was from Bobbi Brown and it really does work.
One other thing I forgot to mention, was the fact that I only started to wear concealer in the last year and a half, believe it or not. I kind of pooh-poohed it for the longest time thinking either it couldn't make all that much of a difference and it was another makeup step. But honestly, once one has one's techniques down and good tools, it takes a lot less time than one thinks! I use MAC Mineralize concealer in NC20, a lighter shade than my StudioSculpt foundation. I know people say to match their concealer to their foundation shade but that doesn't always work for people. If one does the "triangle of light"-type of application(google that for concealer application, or better yet YouTube videos)and extends it out a little beyond outer corner of eye, and blends well, it really does brighten things up considerably, since the whole area around the eyes does tend to darken up with age, some more so than others. Again, the blending - no one wants stripes, or the raccoon look LOL! Sometimes people make fun of it because Kim Kardashian uses this to the max. But a modified version actually works very well, acting kind of like an easy way of reverse contouring. Bottom-line, it takes a little experimenting to find the right combo and application techniques for where one's particular features and bone structure is now. Hope this helps!
curlypearl likes this.
For those of you who have sensitive eyes... Have you tried Jane Iredale? I know several of you said you had tried everything, but I thought I would ask to make sure. I have used a few products from her mineral makeup line. A highlighter here, Lip Drink there. I picked up one of her eyeshadows today. After throwing out some of my older shadows I needed to replace a middle of the road matte brown shade. I read reviews on it before buying and came across great praise from numerous people with highly sensitive eyes. They all said J.I is the only brand of shadow they can wear.
curlypearl likes this.
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Also I thought I was allergic to eye makeup bit since I've been using Oasis eye drops (which I can't recommend highly enough.) I'm able to wear it again. I guess it was just my eyes being so dry everything irritated them.
You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
Thanks again everyone for your suggestions! I'm experimenting with some of the products you suggest.
Protein sensitive
Every day is a gift
Also I thought I was allergic to eye makeup bit since I've been using Oasis eye drops (which I can't recommend highly enough.) I'm able to wear it again. I guess it was just my eyes being so dry everything irritated them.
chupie -- have you tried creme eyeshadows or the chubby sticks? i am also allergic t eye shadow, but it's really the powder form. for the past year or so i've been using clinique chubby sticks for eyes and it's worked out well. i find i have to go into the store to view the colors as they are not even close on my computer.
and for dry eyes, do you take omega 3s? i started on omega 3s inadvertently and like magic my eyes are no longer dry -- makes sense.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine
The only typical non-mineral powder shadows that sometimes bother me are those with more red pigment - roses, purples, pinks, coppers, warmer browns, etc. That's what the majority of people have the most trouble with

Any natural mineral shadows, not just Jane Iredale, should be fine for those with sensitive or allergy eyes. I've used those same shades in Meow, BE and other mineral lines, including JI, with no problem at all with my very allergy eyes.
curlypearl likes this.
2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett
I really haven't had much trouble since I got those drops. I don't have to use them very often even.
I have had to change a lot the last few months. Hit 50 and woke up with new skin. Seriously It Cosmetics has been a godsend. It and The Balm have made makeup fun again. I also have some mini Boom! sticks coming.
I LOVE It Cosmetics! I have a kit my mom bought me that has blush, bronzer, their eye cream, and a lipstick and it's awesome. I want more!

The biggest change I have made as I got older is actually that I don't wear makeup as often. I'm an older mom. I had my son at 39. He is 3 now and I'm soon to be 43. Since I had him, I've hardly worn makeup. Before he was born, I NEVER went a day without makeup from the time I was 13 years old!
I never thought I'd see that day that I wouldn't be wearing so much makeup. But motherhood changes your priorities. I also became a stay at home mom when my son was born, so why bother if no one will see me? I'm an RN, and I worked the ER, and was never caught without makeup at work.
When I do wear it now, I still like sparkle and shimmer and dramatic makeup. I know, I know. I'm not supposed to do that at my age, but I am not much of a rule follower. lol Luckily, I don't have many wrinkles yet, so I can get away with it for now. I do notice my skin is redder than it was. I hate that, because I already had a lot of pink in my skin. Now my cheeks look red all the time!

3A, a mix of boticelli, corkicelli, and a few s-waves, baby fine, naturally porous, medium/high density

Pre-poo: coconut oil
Co-wash: TJ's Tea Tree Tingle, Sauve Naturals, VO5, As I Am coconut co-wash
Conditioner: TJ's Nourish, Tresseme Naturals, Sauve Naturals coconut, SM Coconut & Hibiscus
LI: KCKT
Styling: DevaCurl Light Defining Gel, HETT Mousse (HG's!)
EcoStyler Krystal (new HG!!!), BRHG
coconut oil or jojoba oil to SOTC
Color treated with demi-permanent color to cover first grays

Last edited by CurlyDiva71; 05-16-2014 at 12:18 AM. Reason: oops!
Ironically, most of the time I wear a bit more MU than when I was in my late 20s, but back then I reduced it for "religious" reasons and then just got used to a simple routine of eyeliner, mascara (and not all the time) a little blush and lipstick. But in reality, I've adjusted my MU at different times according to my needs. Like after 50 and a bit of sun exposure my "freckles" became serious sun spots, so I went on the hunt for a foundation that would cover them, and that's when I started using mineral MU (MMU), I use a brand that I mix myself and thus can also be adjusted with any seasonal change in skin tone. However, in 2010 I found an inexpensive bleach cream that faded the spots away so now I only use foundation for special occasions or when I need "a lift".

With the discovery of MMU came experimentation with eye shadows again... I'd pretty much stopped using them not because my eyelids can't handle it but because I don't even go out much, but mineral eye shadows were very tempting, I even dabbled in making a few of my own (and blushes, eyeliners & finishing powders too). But I find that now that I have all the colors I want (or could mix...) I usually stick to a "natural" look using the same light peach one on my lids and a brown one above it to offset a bit of puffiness there. I also have lighter skin below my eyes and like a year ago developed a bit of darkness under them that now I need to camouflage. I also have very thin eyebrows and lashes (thyroid related...) so it's essential that I give them some help. I can often skip blush because I have strong coloring, but at the least I use a darker one to contour because with pounds gained my little face got rounder!

So, like I think Chupie said before, now I guess I use more to look "brighter" and better because when I get up the mirror's not so kind to me anymore, but I try to not be heavy-handed because I think nothing looks more pitiful than an older woman who looks like she's trying too hard to look younger.
curlypearl and WurlyLox like this.
CGSince, what is the bleach cream you are using? My freckles also morphed into age spots and they are pretty stubborn.
Protein sensitive
Every day is a gift
poked in to be nosy about how people are switching up their makeup routines; I'm not over 40 yet, but aging and how to not look like it is still a concern.

I am interested in what CG uses to minimize spots as well, but also can suggest trying Ambi Fade Cream. I used some last year for dark spots and minor scarring and it worked wonders for fading them to nearly invisible.
2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
I used to get away with either no makeup or tinted moisturizer.

As I have aged (I am 41) I now have uneven skin with age spots. So now I do use primer, foundation and then a touch of loose powder.

I still do not wear blush or eye makeup unless it is a special occasion.
Leigh
3a mixed with 2C???
Coarse-Medium Texture
Normal to low Porosity
Low Elasticity

As I Am Cleasning Pudding
As I Am Leave in Conditioner

Currently working for summer dews in GA and FL:
As I Am leave in + Target Curls Cream Brle applied and styled soaking wet.
Second day: Cream Brle with touch of water.
CGSince, what is the bleach cream you are using? My freckles also morphed into age spots and they are pretty stubborn.
Originally Posted by curlypearl
poked in to be nosy about how people are switching up their makeup routines; I'm not over 40 yet, but aging and how to not look like it is still a concern.

I am interested in what CG uses to minimize spots as well, but also can suggest trying Ambi Fade Cream. I used some last year for dark spots and minor scarring and it worked wonders for fading them to nearly invisible.
Originally Posted by geekrockgirl85
It's really just a hydroquinone based cream, probably like the Ambi. It's called Dermaclair and I got it at a beauty supply for $2.99, that's what mine looks like but I noticed the packaging is different at other sites.

It never occurred to me these creams could be used on scars, so thank you! I have a scar from a burn in my arm that got dark so I'm going to give it a try.

Oh, I should mention that I also have used an MSM (homemade) spray on my face to try to prevent them from coming back (and it's other benefits) 'cause they began to, maybe that helped because I haven't had to use the cream again.
I was never a regular make up wearer until my late forties. Now I'm 60 and I wear make-up everyday. Age spots are tough to manage - I tried unsuccessfully to fade them with products - eventually gave up. Now I see a cosmetic dermatologist once a year and she uses a laser to zap any new ones. I maintain with tretinoin cream and I'm pretty happy with my skin. Between the laser and the Retin A I don't need a heavy foundation. I use Laura Mercier's tinted moisturizer over Cerave moisturizer with SPF 30 (I think) I use concealer under my eyes (DARK circles) and Laura Mercier's cake eyeliner- I use a Sephora flat eyeliner brush to tightline a very thin line I only wear shadow if I'm going out in the evening. For everyday I use concealer on my lids to brighten my eyes. and mascara for length rather than volume. I tried Latisse last year and it really made an amazing difference in my lashes but I felt the cost was too much of an extravagance so I stopped and my lashes simply returned to short and thin again. I don't use eyebrow pencil because I dye my eyebrows every few weeks with men's drugstore mustache & beard dye. I use Nars Orgasm blush. As I write this it seems like a lot but I try to use a light hand - my goal is simply to add some of the definition and color that is lost with aging . HTH!
Medium Texture/Normal Porosity
Conditioners: Curl Junkie conditioners, Elucence moisture balancing, Darcy's pumpkin seed, Mop Top Daily
Gels: CJ Pattern Pusha, CJ Curl Queen, UFDCM, Mop Top Curly Custard, KCCC (wish it didn't take so long to dry!), CJ Aloe Fix Lite
Weekly PT (CJ Repair Me) & DT
Icequeen method
CG since Aug. 08, still a lot to learn

Trending Topics