Have you changed your makeup as you got older?

Like Tree20Likes

Seems like I'm not the only one who has had to change simply on account of spots. Otherwise, I STILL wouldn't wear any foundation whatsoever, as I'm not awfully crazy about covering up my skin with the stuff. Mineral makeup was a disaster for me too, so I had to stick with traditional foundation. The way I apply it it does look very natural however, not cakey whatsoever.
Seems like I'm not the only one who has had to change simply on account of spots. Otherwise, I STILL wouldn't wear any foundation whatsoever, as I'm not awfully crazy about covering up my skin with the stuff. Mineral makeup was a disaster for me too, so I had to stick with traditional foundation. The way I apply it it does look very natural however, not cakey whatsoever.
Originally Posted by caramix3a
Perhaps you may want to give MMU a 2nd try. My first try of was also a flop, I thought it was too much work and I didn't quite like the look of the samples I got for one with more coverage, but my DD who had been using Bare Minerals for a few years convinced me it was not hard to apply, and when it became imperative for me to cover those spots up and after not being able to find anything suitable in regular stores I decided to join the forum of Everyday Minerals where I'd ordered the samples before.

They closed the forum shortly after I joined so the group moved to an independent one and there I learned of many other brands. The amount of brands was overwhelming but the forum was of great help, and finally I chose Silk Naturals which you can custom blended yourself, that has the advantage that one can adjust the shade during the summer or winter if there's any change in tone. And once I got the hang of it it was really easy and the compliments I got made it worth it.

But when my spots faded I only used it when I was working or when I went to a party or whenever I wanted that "extra" lift, when it's right it really can give that "airbrushed" look.
At first I also used a powder peach concealer under the mineral foundation, I think I'm wearing both in the pic in my profile, the color in the pic looks a little too "flushed" but that's not how it is IRL.
@CGSince2002: I do appreciate the suggestion, but I did indeed try two different brands of mineral makeup years apart - bad experiences both times. The first time was with Jane Iredale. No matter HOW I applied this stuff, it never looked right, plus despite using a good moisturizer, it dried my skin out so bad that it took a whole week after discontinuing use for my skin to recover. And this is without having a super-dry skin type either. Biggest bummer was not being able to return this $42-purchase to the store I got it from either. Years later, I had a mini-makeover at a Bare Essentuals(sp.?) maybe now Bare Minerals(? - I've lost track of companies changing their names)counter here in SF. The SA positively RAVED about how natural this makeup looked on me. I hated it myself - like with the Jane Iredale, it covered nothing, plus brought out every single pore and wrinkle and made me look pasty besides. SA's often swatch me a bit too light, and then remark that I'm not as light as I look, due to the contrast between my hair and skin(relatively high, which throws them off). When I got home from that Bare Minerals makeover, I couldn't wait to wash my face. Scurried right back to my regular foundation(MAC StudioSculpt which works for me, applied lightly and pressed in)! I really wanted to love mineral makeup too, because of the naturalness of it and all. Maybe it's good for certain skin types, most notably very oily young skins. I'm a lot older, and with normal to very slightly oily skin that's easily dehydrated.
@CGSince2002: I do appreciate the suggestion, but I did indeed try two different brands of mineral makeup years apart - bad experiences both times. The first time was with Jane Iredale. No matter HOW I applied this stuff, it never looked right, plus despite using a good moisturizer, it dried my skin out so bad that it took a whole week after discontinuing use for my skin to recover. And this is without having a super-dry skin type either. Biggest bummer was not being able to return this $42-purchase to the store I got it from either. Years later, I had a mini-makeover at a Bare Essentuals(sp.?) maybe now Bare Minerals(? - I've lost track of companies changing their names)counter here in SF. The SA positively RAVED about how natural this makeup looked on me. I hated it myself - like with the Jane Iredale, it covered nothing, plus brought out every single pore and wrinkle and made me look pasty besides. SA's often swatch me a bit too light, and then remark that I'm not as light as I look, due to the contrast between my hair and skin(relatively high, which throws them off). When I got home from that Bare Minerals makeover, I couldn't wait to wash my face. Scurried right back to my regular foundation(MAC StudioSculpt which works for me, applied lightly and pressed in)! I really wanted to love mineral makeup too, because of the naturalness of it and all. Maybe it's good for certain skin types, most notably very oily young skins. I'm a lot older, and with normal to very slightly oily skin that's easily dehydrated.
Originally Posted by caramix3a
I've never tried J.I. and B.E. or B.M. only recently when my daughter gave me some leftovers that were a little too dark for her, and you're right, it doesn't seem to cover enough for me, but they probably have other formulas. When my DD started to use it she had acne and the minerals actually improved her skin (very likely the liquid foundation she'd been using was the real cause of her breakouts...).

BUT, ironically enough, Silk Naturals, which is way way cheaper (and a big part of the reason why I got it) comes in 3 coverages. The samples are not free but it's for $3.95 they send you sufficient white base and 5 colored bases to make several mixes for several uses
and instructions on how to mix it. There's 2 colored bases available for $0.99 ea. baggy. The only thing is that when I was using it the bases contained real silk powder which has moisturizing/balancing properties but I see that in 2012 they went vegan... Because I wasn't using it daily I had more than enough that I only ran out recently so I haven't bought from them for a good while.

Everyday Minerals is very affordable too and they offer free samples of the foundation, I think all you pay is the shipping, and they have several formulas also.
I believe there are a few other affordable brands that you could find out about in this forum, if you're interested.

I'm not really trying to change your mind as you may be quite satisfied with what you're using right now, so this is just in case one day you want to give MMU another chance, and for the benefit of anyone else who might be interested. Once I got MMU to work for me I just know I'd never go back to liquid foundation, besides, I don't have to worry about it going "bad", the shelf life of some is practically forever and since most of the products can be mixed you can create your own new shades.

P.S. I learned in the forum that to counter dryness and the appearance of wrinkles many women used a primer, but I had enough with a good moisturizer and to get rid of the "powdery" appearance when freshly applied I used a homemade "finishing" spray whose formula circulated in the MMU forum.
curlypearl likes this.

Last edited by CGSince2002; 06-20-2014 at 10:25 AM.
My makeup changed as I got older. Only twice though. I used Mac for years now I use bare minerals and now bare face by bare ecentuals.
curlypearl likes this.
I just ordered Obagi Clear which is supposed to work very well at lightening age spots.
curlypearl likes this.
Leigh
3a mixed with 2C???
Coarse-Medium Texture
Normal to low Porosity
Low Elasticity

As I Am Cleasning Pudding
As I Am Leave in Conditioner

Currently working for summer dews in GA and FL:
As I Am leave in + Target Curls Cream Brle applied and styled soaking wet.
Second day: Cream Brle with touch of water.

Trending Topics