Have you changed your makeup as you got older?

Like Tree20Likes

If you have, what changes have you made? There's loads of videos on this. Sometimes they contradict each other.

I'm thinking maybe I should lighten up on the coverage of my foundation (but not the color). Also thinking maybe I should switch to cream blush instead of powder. I don't have many wrinkles, but my freckles have morphed into age spots.

Thoughts?
2/c and some 3A. Modified CG.
Protein sensitive
Highly porous. Color over grey.
Best 1st day method: Super Soaker
Conditioners: Curl Junkie Beauticurls Strengthening Conditioner,
Deep condish: Curl Junkie Curl Rehab
Stylers: Mix Curls in a Bottle into everything for shine. Terrible pj
Sometimes try roller sets - classic glamor but I prefer my curls.
Every day is a gift
I have, and the reason is laziness.

I wore more makeup when I was young because I enjoyed transforming myself.

However, my desire to acquire makeup has, if anything, increased exponentially. I'm a real sucker for good packaging design.

http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Me too!

I love all the packaging stuff. And, if it comes with a cute name like "fairy dust" or something I'm tempted.

I don't really wear makeup. I did when I was young, but not so much now. My cheeks are pink enough, and I like my own lip color. I am trying to wear more lip stuff though. I feel different when I put on lipstick...powerful or something dorky like that. since my hair is graying, I'm wearing more blackberry shades on my lips but not too dark. I blot them a little. Those shades seem to go better with my hair, eyes, and complexion now.
Started CG July 8, 2008

Pre Co-wash: Coconut oil (plain & rosemary)
Co-wash: Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle or Trader Joe's Nourish Spa
Rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm
Leave-in/Styling: Moisture Maniac with Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner on top
I haven't changed too much. I thought I needed heavy foundation when I was younger and am happy I no longer do that. Now I use a powder foundation with a light finish. I didn't used to wear eyeliner until I was older and my lashes got thin. Now I use a waterproof liquid eyeliner.
Other than that I still wear powder blush, lip crayon, and waterproof mascara like I did 40 years ago.
If I'm dressing up for an occasion I'll also use eyeshadow and brow pencil.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Sadly, I'm getting less attractive as I get older and I am wearing more make up now to compensate. I could easily go bare-faced (or just eyebrows filled in) 7 or 8 yrs ago and look absolutely fine. Now I can't.
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

I have had to change a lot the last few months. Hit 50 and woke up with new skin. Seriously It Cosmetics has been a godsend. It and The Balm have made makeup fun again. I also have some mini Boom! sticks coming.
You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
PS I am actually wearing more makeup than previously to keep my face looking lively and bright.
You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...ZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
My day to day makeup use was not heavy at all for many years. I have little to no makeup on in most of the pictures I come across. I would do full face for dances, proms, events... I played very heavily with it from a young age (my mom sold Mary Kay), and started doing stage makeup when I was young for dance recitals and chorus shows. Mainly I was a tinted moisturizer (if even that), mascara, light blush and Chapstick girl. My senior year I started going to a bar on the weekends and doing more night out makeup, but I have plenty of pictures of me there with no makeup on too. I've actually started doing more as I age, but still not heavy. I didn't even try an eyebrow pencil or powder until I was in my 30's, and I still mainly reach for a gel when I bother doing them. I do a little more light contouring and subtile highlighting from time to time. I've always loved shadows and liner. I have always found it fun, and now I am having fun trying new brands.
chupie likes this.
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

I don't wear shimmery eyeshadow anymore. I was trying to explain it to my niece as she tried to talk me into buying myself something very shimmery. I told her that as a woman matures, she has twice as much skin on her eyelids and if I were to wear shimmery eyeshadow it would look like a disco ball.
curlypearl likes this.
2c/3a, fine, low-med porosity, below BSL, mod CG since 9/09

"
I'm fairly certain that given a cape and a nice tiara, I could save the world." - Leigh Standley
I was always terrified of doing too much to my brows because of my mom. She came from a generation that plucked theirs into oblivion. Not everyone mind you, but several women. The brows were one of the most major parts of the look. Her eyeshadow was always neutral and not shimmery. She didn't over kill on foundation. Just brows. Lots of cleaning up, trimming, plucking, covering, etc. As you age your brows tend to thin anyway, but it seemed liked she messed with hers way more than she should have and that helped matters.

I have always let mine be and lightly cleaned around the edges.

** You can still find my mom sitting in front of a magnifying mirror, with a pair of tweezers, at least 2 times a week. Look... They don't grow that fast
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Last edited by Fifi.G; 05-08-2014 at 03:54 PM.
I have had to change a lot the last few months. Hit 50 and woke up with new skin. Seriously It Cosmetics has been a godsend. It and The Balm have made makeup fun again. I also have some mini Boom! sticks coming.
Originally Posted by chupie
I have two mascaras from It that I like very much.
chupie likes this.

http://geaugadoggy.wordpress.com
I wear a lot more than I used to, that's for sure. Except foundation. I don't really need it, so I only wear it when I want to look extra-polished. I also realized literally 3 days ago that I need to go thinner on the eyeliner. I didn't care one morning and just did a thin line and when I looked in the mirror at work later (when I was actually awake) I was amazed at how much more open my eyes looked. I use more blush but in a different color now. The Senior Artist at my local Sephora picked out MUFE HD cream blush in 335 (Fawn, I think) and it looks amazing on me. I would have *never* picked that color for myself. I also use lipstick daily now.

However, the one piece of makeup that I'm not thrilled with is the mascara. My eyelashes need serious help. I used to LOVE Yves Singulier. It had a nice thick formula, which I need, but it was so expensive and it would dry out in 3 weeks. Right now I use an eyelash primer with Benefit They're Real, but I'm not totally happy with the Benefit. I love the brush, but the formula is too thin. On the plus side, it lasts pretty long. Any non-drugstore recs?
2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
I now need to define my brows. They've thinned a bit and the outer edges have become very, very light. I use a pencil from Anastasia. I also switched from powder blush to a cheek stain from Tarte. I really like that - I also use that same stain on my lips. I also line my eyes more than I used to; it really seems to help define them. I've always used mascara, since without it, my eyelashes are invisible.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I don't wear the heavy foundation I use to wear when I was younger. I now use compact mineral makeup that matches my skin tone and makes me look more "natural". I always apply blush as well. And yes, I've read that as you age, your eyeshadow should be less sparkly and more like in pink/beige/neutral tones. Lips, on the other hand, should not be too "matte" or dark, more peach/pink and always apply a bit of gloss so your lips look "plump" and not too thin.
I wear a lot more than I used to, that's for sure. Except foundation. I don't really need it, so I only wear it when I want to look extra-polished. I also realized literally 3 days ago that I need to go thinner on the eyeliner. I didn't care one morning and just did a thin line and when I looked in the mirror at work later (when I was actually awake) I was amazed at how much more open my eyes looked. I use more blush but in a different color now. The Senior Artist at my local Sephora picked out MUFE HD cream blush in 335 (Fawn, I think) and it looks amazing on me. I would have *never* picked that color for myself. I also use lipstick daily now.

However, the one piece of makeup that I'm not thrilled with is the mascara. My eyelashes need serious help. I used to LOVE Yves Singulier. It had a nice thick formula, which I need, but it was so expensive and it would dry out in 3 weeks. Right now I use an eyelash primer with Benefit They're Real, but I'm not totally happy with the Benefit. I love the brush, but the formula is too thin. On the plus side, it lasts pretty long. Any non-drugstore recs?
Originally Posted by JLeighs
I like how the Benefit looks and doesn't give raccoon eyes but I also CANNOT GET IT OFF at night.
Originally Posted by chupie
I have two mascaras from It that I like very much.
Originally Posted by claudine191
Seriously considering theirs or something from The Balm.
My Boom sticks came today. Going to be nice for quick face!
Attached Thumbnails
Have you changed your makeup as you got older?-10341431_10202567697126374_490434822914437822_n.jpg  
I didn't start wearing make-up until fairly late in life and haven't changed things much over the years. I keep thinking maybe I should, as I often read that you should change things up now and then, but I really haven't a clue what I'd change.
3b in South Australia.
I wear more now that I'm older but I came to the make up wearing game late (I didn't start wearing it daily - on work days- until my late 20s- early 30s)
Now I use a primer and under eye concealer. I also fill in my brows (I only started this maybe 3-4 years ago). When I started wearing makeup it was just foundation and blush, no concealer or primer.

On the weekend (if I'm not going out) I usually go bare faced (even if I'm running errands). If I'm just meeting up with friends, I'll either go bare faced or just some bb cream, cheek stain, eye liner, mascara and brows.

I rarely wear anything on my lips because I keep having allergic reactions to things, but I know my face looks better when I have some color on my lips
Modified CG since Dec 2011

Last edited by PerriP; 05-09-2014 at 04:12 AM.
I still use only powder and not a cream foundation. But I have started applying coconut oil and bamboo tea to my face under the face powder so it works with my 50 year old skin . Also I use sunblock now

Trending Topics