Best haircolor to cover gray?

I have gray at the roots-not too much,but I want to blend them/cover them.
I have always used Clairol products.

I use a golden blonde color to match my haircolor,but am thinking about going to an ash blonde to better "blend" those little suckers.
Any recs?

(I am so not going to a salon-haven't set foot in one since 1980)
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
I've been using Color by Robert Craig for many many years to cover and blend my grays. http://www.robertcraig.com/php/index...ation=consumer

Pop onto the Color forum for tons of info. And LMK if you have any Q's.

SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring"
3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
* pw: just4curlies
* My Motto: Strand Test!
some hair pics
-- gone, but never forgotten.
Can you tell me where who sells Robert Craig?
3c
Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
CoWash: VO5 kiwi
Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
Can you tell me where who sells Robert Craig?
Originally Posted by mandyv
Follow the link I posted above. It is sold online or by phone, (and at a few salons I think).

SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring"
3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
* pw: just4curlies
* My Motto: Strand Test!
some hair pics
-- gone, but never forgotten.
"I use a golden blonde color to match my haircolor,but am thinking about going to an ash blonde to better "blend" those little suckers."

Whatever you do, DON'T use an ash color - that will only dull the overall look of your hair and make your greys GREYER-looking - not good! Anyhow, since grey hair is missing pigment, in order for color to look more natural, one usually has to mix in a neutral shade with your golden blonde, to get the coverage you want. Use the same level of color as your golden blonde shade for your neutral color(say, the lightest shade of brown or a neutral blonde), and do strand test your mixture(half and half of each color, mixed with your developer), and see what your results are, and adjust the proportions as necessary. Good luck with this!
L'Oreal left my hair in the best condition. Feria & Garnier made it the driest. Clairol's nifty new product that lets you color the roots only is great. Blends mine in perfectly. I only need to color every 3 or 4 months with this. My gray is mainly in an Elvira style streak at my part, & I find it doesn't grab as much color as the rest of my hair, which is actually good; it looks like natural highlights.
3B, bra-strap length
laidback, very-modified CGer
HG: GF Sleek 'n Shine Leave-in; Alagio
L'Oreal left my hair in the best condition. Feria & Garnier made it the driest. Clairol's nifty new product that lets you color the roots only is great. Blends mine in perfectly.
Originally Posted by CelticCurls
You are right, Feria dries mine out badly and it the chemical smell is almost overwhelming. I'll try L'Oreal. Do you use the perm color?

Can you describe Clairol's new roots covering product? Does it match L'Oreal's color? Thanks and sorry for all the questions!
3c
I actually used the medium ash blonde(I used to use ONLY the ash blonde for years)and I LOVE the result!
It is way closer to my natural color,still a little bit of red in there,but the grays are looking so much better!

Thanks for the recs
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
Mandy, it's called "Touch Up" something. The box has a clear window & you can see the little blue brush tool. The colors do match across brands. I used Med Golden Brown, & it matched my L'Oreal shade just fine. The best part is you only apply it to your roots & it only has to stay on 10 min. I wouldn't recommend Clarol's Natural Instincts line though -- the colors run quite dark & flat on me, & my hair was dry afterward.
3B, bra-strap length
the trick to using Natural Instincts is to go one shade lighter than one thinks, otherwise the too-dark, flat look happens, because it is a deposit-only color - it doesn't lighten hair. As far as hair being dry, load up on that post-color conditioner. I use the NI as a color gloss/refresher in between permanent colorings - works great. For that, I use a color TWO shades lighter.
Hmmm, that's a good tip. I have found the L'Oreal to be superior to other brands I've tried -- including the salon formulas my stylist has used. I get the least color fade from it. Of their diff formulas, I've used Excellence with good results, but really prefer ColorSpa as I like a Level 2, or 'semi-permanent' color; no ammonia, more sheer, less damaging. None of the flatness Clairol & Garnier caused. And I have to say that L'Oreal is less irritating to my asthma than other brands mentioned, a big consideration for me. They also have the best conditioner! I see them selling on eBay, just the little tubes that come with the haircolor. The word's out. Shikai is my favorite color enhancing shampoo; super gentle & actually works.
3B, bra-strap length
Thanks, CelticCurls!
3c
I've been using Natural Match by Loreal for about 6 months now. It's been the best I've used so far. The color comes out very natural & it doesn't dry out my hair. I have gray only in the hairline and it does a good job of covering it. I leave it on my roots for 20 minutes, then apply to rest of my hair for 10. I also like the conditioner that comes with it.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
I've been using Natural Match by Loreal for about 6 months now. It's been the best I've used so far. The color comes out very natural & it doesn't dry out my hair. I have gray only in the hairline and it does a good job of covering it. I leave it on my roots for 20 minutes, then apply to rest of my hair for 10. I also like the conditioner that comes with it.
Originally Posted by g-stringranny
Is Natural Match perm or semi-perm?

I tried the Color Spa and like it. My hair feels better and the color isn't ridiculously red like the Feria line. Thanks for the info.
3c
I just tried the new formula Nice and Easy and hated it. I found it to be much more drying than Loreal Excellence which I normally use. Plus, I could swear it took some of my curl away.

I love cara4curl's tip about mixing a neutral and golden blonde shade. I had been using dark golden blonde by itself and found it was a bit too golden/orange on me and my greys were showing again after just 3 weeks. I had just read somewhere than neutral shades cover greys better than golden. So, mixing Excellence dark neutral and dark golden blonde 50-50 is what I plan to do next time.

ETA: Mixing the two didn't help a bit. After two weeks, I have the same amount of grays showing. Grr!!!

There's something you can buy at Sally's called "Gray Magic" that I'm going to try next. http://sallybeauty.com/shop/1480/240900
Originally Posted by g-stringranny
Is Natural Match perm or semi-perm?

I tried the Color Spa and like it. My hair feels better and the color isn't ridiculously red like the Feria line. Thanks for the info.
Originally Posted by mandyv
It's semi & has no ammonia, so it's gentle on the hair. I find if I use a permanent color, it will lighten my hair.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
L'Oreal Excellance for me. The conditioner it comes with is great. I wish I could buy it alone sometimes.
Colorsilk is my favorite! Leaves my hair so shiny, looks great.

I only color my roots, but the color-up kits don't have enough color for me. I have to use almost a full bottle of regular color just to touch up my roots/new growth...sometimes thick hair is a drag... !!

I only color my roots, but the color-up kits don't have enough color for me. I have to use almost a full bottle of regular color just to touch up my roots/new growth...sometimes thick hair is a drag... !!
Originally Posted by PrettyPorcupine
OY! would that I had your problem! LOL
Hair 3a/3b.

Originally Posted by PrettyPorcupine
OY! would that I had your problem! LOL
Originally Posted by alim1216

The grass is always greener. When I used boxes of dye, I had to buy FOUR of them to have enough to cover all of my hair. That's $40, not $10...not much of a savings over using a salon for color.

Now I use henna, and I need to mix up 4 full cups of the goo to cover my hair...got a batch brewing right now that I'm going to apply right before bed and sleep with all night...that's a lot of heavy mud on the head...

Trending Topics