facial cleanser

Like Tree12Likes

So I'm really new to skin care and all this. I've never used a facial cleanser or any face product other than make up and Queen Helene exfoliating scrub which I might break out a couple times a year. Oh yeah, I dealt with cystic acne in college for a while (the occasional lone volcano on my face every three or four months) so I had to get a rx for a topical but other than that, I have never used anything on my face. I just wash my face with the same soap I use to wash...my ass

So I just bought an Olay Pro X cleansing brush and I don't have anything to use on it. I'm 41 and my face is starting to drop a little but I don't have wrinkles. Oily T zone, normal elsewhere. The occasional pimple but no acne "problems."

I don't care if it is natural or not or where I have to buy it. It doesn't have to be supermarket-cheap. I just think I'm supposed to be doing something w/ my skin now, right?

(xposted on skincare)
3b (with 3c tendencies) on modified CG

"supposed to?" everyone' skin is different, genetics, lifestyle.

i use bliss steep clean mask once a week to prevent an occasional breakout, reduce pores, exfoliate dull skin. (i get it with coupons on bliss world.com, and usually buy the double pack, so it's not nearly as much as regular price.)

i have both dry hair and dry skin, think i was born this way. never had oily skin. i wash with cetaphil bar (prefer the liquid but my wallet doesn't). been using some type of moisturizer since i was in high school, started with noxezma, then on to deep magic -- a drugstore brand that i can't even imagine did anything -- and have now progressed to ester lauder revitalizing face creme. again, i look for sales on this and buy the economy size.
i just found a fabulous eye cream (also dry eyelids!!!) shiseido benefiance 24 hr wrinkle resist that is super great. again, i am on the internet searching for whatever store is having a sale/rewards.
i'd rather have moisturized face/eye area/hair as my cosmetics. i use very little make up. in fact, what make up i buy lasts me years, literally.

to answer your question, does your skin look/feel dry/dull? you might be able to get away with some inexpensive moisturizers.
spiderlashes5000 likes this.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter,
i should add that i frequently get compliments on my skin from men, women, my daughter, cosmetic sales clerks.....
like our hair, you have to find what works for you.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
I use coconut oil. I work it into my face & neck & use a very warm, wet wash cloth to take it off. I do this twice at night to take off my makeup, then to cleanse my face. I put a little on afterwards to moisturize. It doesn't leave my face greasy. Once a week I use baking soda to exfoliate. I have a container of coconut oil mixed with sugar by my tub to do a scrub on my body each night.
From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
I have very sensitive, allergic rosacea skin. Have done oil cleansing, used expensive cleansers, etc. About a year ago, I found Yes to Cucumbers Gentle Milk Cleanser It's been great. Really mild and doesn't make your skin feel stripped. I buy from the Yes To website. If you sign up for the newsletters, they have frequent sales. I think the regular price is $8.99.

I don't use foundation, etc., because of my allergies, so, I don't know how this works on that.

Another inexpensive, gentle product that I used for years is Orange Essence Facial Cleanser - Burt's Bees As I recall, it seems great. Leaves you feeling fresh and doesn't dry out skin.
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
I use Dove to get off my makeup and use Vaseline Intensive Care Regenerating, or something like that, for daily moisturizing.
It's not easy being a princess, but hey, if the crown fits.
I use jojoba oil for cleansing most of the time. I also keep an inexpensive cleanser like Phisoderm on hand to mix with baking soda for an exfoliator. I use jojoba oil or jojoba butter for a moisturizer.
I don't use anything to fix or prevent wrinkles/age spots/sagging skin since it's not important to me. I just want healthy happy skin (just like I want happy healthy hair) with the fewest products and least hassle.
Lotsawaves and curlyprincess1 like this.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated March 2015**

Last edited by jeepcurlygurl; 01-28-2015 at 01:10 PM.
Oil cleansing works the best for me. Occasionally when I try to use something different my face freaks out and I'll get a small break out that clears right up within a few days of oil cleansing. I guess it's working ok for me since the other day a co-worker found out I was 41 and absolutely swore I was about 25. I'll take it!
Lotsawaves, rbb and BotticelliBrit like this.
mostly 3a/fine/high porosity/low density
Cleanse: Bosley shampoo and conditioner
Stylers: Boots Curl Cream, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Curl Keeper
Gels: Volumax, Biolage, EcoStyler, BRHG
Shea butter to scrunch out the crunch and seal
Modified CG since Feb 2008
+1 for jojoba oil - it's nothing short of amazing.
BotticelliBrit likes this.
2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density

NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
RO/LI: Sevi Pumpkin Seed, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, YTBbs
DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
I use a foaming cleanser in the mornings, an oil cleanser at night if I've had make-up on or a Nivea wipe if I haven't, and an exfoliater twice a week. I use a serum in the mornings before Nivea eye cream and moisturiser. Nivea night cream. Wow, that sounds like a lot of stuff but it doesn't seem like a lot when I'm using it! All my stuff is Australian apart from the Nivea, so no help with particular products for you.
Actually quite annoyed as Nivea discontinued the eye cream I use and I'm now down to the last dregs of my stash. About to start trying new things, hate doing that.
My skin's quite dry but other than that, no issues.
3b in South Australia.
Personally, I just use Simple facial wipes to get the 'gunk' off.

Then I go in the shower and use the Jason Apricot Scrubble Facial Wash, which is a gentle everyday scrub.

Then I finish up with Nivea Daily Essentials Rich Regenerating Night Cream.

I also use an eyecream in the morning and night, but have yet to find one that's really awesome. Right now I'm using the Yes to Grapefruit one, but I'm still experimenting with trying to find my ideal brand.

Once a week I use the Aztec Secret Indian Healing Facial Clay – purely natural powder you can combine with either ACV or lemon juice, if you prefer. It's really fabulous and lasts FOREVER.

I'm all about keeping it simple and this routine has worked for me for ages. All the products are 'cheap and cheerful' and are really effective at keeping my skin looking good. Don't have any dryness and rarely have any breakouts!
3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus
Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
Gel: Ouidad Climate Control/Curly Hair Solutions Curl Keeper
DC:
Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
Growing my hair to WL
I'm a Clarins and Lancome girl.

I use a milk to cleanse (or an oil blend), I use the Genefique serum then a moisturiser,

I use Dermalogica exfoliating scrub
Fine 3B/C curls.
Currently growing out damage caused by straightening and coloring.
I originally responded on the x-post. I'm a huge fan of Paula's Choice. My skin hasn't looked this good since right before puberty hit some 25+ years ago. The formulas are very well made and the prices are very reasonable.

3a/f/iii
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
jeep & sixelamy -- any reason why jojoba over other oils, like grapseed?
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
^ I've used both jojoba and grapeseed plus sunflower, safflower, castor, hempseed, avocado, olive oil and some others I can't remember offhand. They all have low comedogenic and irritation ratings so that's good. I don't care for the smell or feel of some of them (castor, grapeseed, avocado, olive) and some are just more expensive than others. So I stick almost exclusively with jojoba now.
I would love to use coconut oil because I love the smell of it but it's too high on the comedogenic scale for me to use it on my face.
Padraigin likes this.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated March 2015**

thanks!
jeepcurlygurl likes this.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
I can't use coconut oil on my hair or my face. I might check into the jojoba oil next time I need some. Right now I'm mixing castor and sunflower and have grapeseed as well so it will be a while.
mostly 3a/fine/high porosity/low density
Cleanse: Bosley shampoo and conditioner
Stylers: Boots Curl Cream, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Curl Keeper
Gels: Volumax, Biolage, EcoStyler, BRHG
Shea butter to scrunch out the crunch and seal
Modified CG since Feb 2008
i did a little research on the oils, and learned that while jojoba is very balancing it seems (to me anyway) to be better suited for normal to oily skin. my skin is the extreme opposite - dry. on several sites they list apricot kernel oil as being great for dry skin, same comedogenic rating as jojoba, so i bought some. tried it last night and seemed to do a good job. i will continue to use it, probably only at night. if it continues to work i might at some time splurge and buy another type of oil or two. of course, it has to be wallet-friendly also.
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
i did a little research on the oils, and learned that while jojoba is very balancing it seems (to me anyway) to be better suited for normal to oily skin. my skin is the extreme opposite - dry. on several sites they list apricot kernel oil as being great for dry skin, same comedogenic rating as jojoba, so i bought some. tried it last night and seemed to do a good job. i will continue to use it, probably only at night. if it continues to work i might at some time splurge and buy another type of oil or two. of course, it has to be wallet-friendly also.
Originally Posted by rbb
rbb, I've been using oils from African Shea Butter, Moroccan Argan Oil, Namibian Marula Oil, Tamanu Oil and more... for years. I started out with argan and tamanu. This year, I added a few others. As with everything else, I started to rotate them. A few years ago, my face became really "chaffed" from the dry, cold wind and low dewpoints. I read that tamanu was repairing and I must say that it healed my sensitive, dry, rosacea skin. I used a few drops at night before I went to bed. I'd use the argan in the morning. After reading about the various oils on the shea terra site, I bought carrot seed, black seed, moringa, marula and rosehip oils. I put a few drops on when I get up and brush my teeth, a few drops after my shower later in the morning and some before bed (I made a "healing" mixture that has some of the above with a little oregano, sea buckthorn berry and tea tree oils.) If it's a brutal day, I try to remember to do a few drops before I go out. That way, it's always protected. My skin has looked really good all winter. It never feels dry.
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
thanks, kathy! lots to research, consider.

do you use any kind of face cream? or just the oils?
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]

Trending Topics