paging RedCatWaves - a newbie to active skincare here!

Alright, you enablers!
I just ordered all I said I would, including Retin A, but forgot about the CP. I'll get that next time, I think.
So, now I'm wondering about amounts for each use. Like when I use the emu oil and vitamin C serums, do I think in terms of drops, and do I just mix a little bit together and apply with fingertips? I don't want to use more than is necessary because I know that if a little bit works, more isn't necessarily better.
Originally Posted by cynaminbear
I had the same questions. RCW suggested a half a dropper of Vit C, I only need about 1/3 (small face) then I rub the remaining on the back of my hands.

For the emu (I use jojoba), I mix just one pump of the HA with one drop of the oil and apply.

The DMAE comes with a little black scooper, I fill it up and apply to face and neck.

I use my whole hands (not finger tips) to apply to entire face and neck. HTH
2b/3a.

Last edited by CurlyinColorado; 04-10-2008 at 08:11 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar
Alright, you enablers!
I just ordered all I said I would, including Retin A, but forgot about the CP. I'll get that next time, I think.
So, now I'm wondering about amounts for each use. Like when I use the emu oil and vitamin C serums, do I think in terms of drops, and do I just mix a little bit together and apply with fingertips? I don't want to use more than is necessary because I know that if a little bit works, more isn't necessarily better.
Originally Posted by cynaminbear
I had the same questions. RCW suggested a half a dropper of Vit C, I only need about 1/3 (small face) then I rub the remaining on the back of my hands.

For the emu (I use jojoba), I mix just one pump of the HA with one drop of the oil and apply.

The DMAE comes with a little black scooper, I fill it up and apply to face and neck.

I use my whole hands (not finger tips) to apply to entire face and neck. HTH
Originally Posted by CurlyinColorado
Thank you! I'm impatiently awaiting the arrival of my stuff.
eta: 2 boxes came in today! I'm waiting for 2 more, then I can start. Woohoo!
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.

Last edited by cynaminbear; 04-10-2008 at 11:38 PM.
Oooo, this thread is like a hidden (ok, maybe not so much) gem!

If it's not too much trouble, RCW, would you mind evaluating my skin care, um, "routine." I have dry-ish skin, some blackheads, occasional pimples, and fine lines and a hint of darkness beneath my eyes. I'm 36, so of course, I'd like to stave off the rudeness of aging as long as possible.

AM
Wash with warm water
Apply L'Occitane Olive Express Eye Treatment
Moisturize with L'Occitane Immortelle Very Precious Cream

PM
Remove eye makeup with oil
Wash with Origins Checks and Balances
Apply L'Occitane Very Precious Eye Serum

Many thanks!

CocoaCoily brings up something I've been wondering. What is suggested to remove eye makeup after cleansing?
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
I use a little olive oil (RCW suggestion)
2b/3a.
I remove eye make up before cleansing with jojoba oil.
ETA: Also an RCW rec. (of course).
Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or hump it.....Piss on it and walk away.
Location - WI
Ladies I must say that I love this thread. It's so full of information. I am an info junkie.

I need a few recommendations/suggestions. I skin that bounces from one extreme to the other. Right now it's very dry, except for the nose and chin areas, but honestly they could be in hyperdrive as a reaction to the dryness. My skin is also VERY sensitive. As the heat and humidity rise it can get really oily. I want to do the best to take care of my skin now (I'm 28 ) to protect it for the future but am really having trouble finding something that's right for me. I generally don't have a problem with breakouts except for blackheads on my nose and breakouts on my chin near the corners of my mouth.

I don't really have a skin routine at the moment so any advice you can give would be great!

Last edited by KookyCurl; 04-17-2008 at 03:06 PM. Reason: it turned my age into a smiley! 8)
Oooo, this thread is like a hidden (ok, maybe not so much) gem!

If it's not too much trouble, RCW, would you mind evaluating my skin care, um, "routine." I have dry-ish skin, some blackheads, occasional pimples, and fine lines and a hint of darkness beneath my eyes. I'm 36, so of course, I'd like to stave off the rudeness of aging as long as possible.

AM
Wash with warm water
Apply L'Occitane Olive Express Eye Treatment

PM
Remove eye makeup with oil
Wash with Origins Checks and Balances
Apply L'Occitane Very Precious Eye Serum

Many thanks!
Originally Posted by CocoaCoily

I don't know where to start...sigh...department store potions designed to drain your wallet, not promote skin health.

The cleanser is detergent-based and therefore harmful to the skin barrier. The moisturizer is also detergent-based, and it contains squalane, which, while moisturizing, is also comedogenic for acne-prone folks.

The eye serums don't seem too bad...light moisturizers. Nothing with any "active" ingredients for anti-aging.
I had a feeling you would say something to that effect. Rats...

Well, I've read through this whole thread, and I ordered some samples from PSF, since everyone is raving, and seeing positive results.

Both the Castile and the Green tea cleansers
BHA for my blackheads
HA to use with the jojoba I have, for moisture
DMAE and microcrystal resurfacing cream, just because
That's it... I have to keep it somewhat simple.

Hi all,

this is a great thread! I have read the entire thread and I wanted to quote something else but I can't find it now. RCW, I thought I read somewhere that u said DMAE will firm skin but not reduce fine lines? Does that mean it helps more with sagging than fine lines? I have tried Emu oil (it hasn't seemed to do anything so far) as well as several eye creams to help with fine lines and dark circles as well. I'm still looking for a product that I can stick with.

Is DMAE good for lines or do I need a script for Retin-A to see any improvement? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

[QUOTE=RedCatWaves;409030]

I use PSF DMAE on my neck, and it does firm it, but I notice the biggest firming difference around my eyes.
Is DMAE good for lines or do I need a script for Retin-A to see any improvement? Any info would be greatly appreciated!

I use PSF DMAE on my neck, and it does firm it, but I notice the biggest firming difference around my eyes.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
NOT RCW but she did address this specific questions elsewhere for me. DMAE, when used twice a day (for RCW) showed a noticeable difference in firming skin. It will not address wrinkles.

Read through In my newest PSF order... - it addresses my specific request about wrinkles, which Retin A to start with, how to apply, and where to get it, etc. HTH
2b/3a.
Just bumping so it's easier to find next time.

( I suck at searching threads here)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything."
Malcolm X
I must say that I am loving my Castille Cleanser.

Here's what I'm doing so far.

AM
PSF Castille Cleanser
DY 5% SA
PSF Berry Beneficial Antioxidant Serum - nice non-irritating antioxidant.

PM
PSF Cleanser
PSF Balancing Oil - I seem to wake up less oily if I use this.

Once weekly or so
PTR Therapeutic Sulfur Masque. I may switch to try the DY one after I use up this tub becuase the DY is also 10% sulfur but free of menthol/eucalyptus which can sting a little. Masks with 10% sulfur work well for me at redness reduction.

Of all of these things, I like the cleanser the best. I really think that I have had redness improvement just from switching to this cleanser. I'll never be pink-free as I have such a strong pink undertone, but at least I don't look drunk or sunburned, lol.

I am noticing that my blackheads exfoliate more easily now. My pores are big so I doubt if I'll be totally clear, but least the gunk is less stuck

One question - what do HA and DMAE do, and would I really need them yet? My issues are redness, oiliness and blackheads. Nothing much in the way of lines, tone issues or the brownish kind of hyperpigmentation.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
One question - what do HA and DMAE do, and would I really need them yet? My issues are redness, oiliness and blackheads. Nothing much in the way of lines, tone issues or the brownish kind of hyperpigmentation.

HA is an humescent. It helps moisturizing oils to penetrate better, or it makes a lovely light moisturizer all on it's own.

DMAE is for skin firming. That's all it does, but it does a great job at it. PSF's DMAE is my all-time favorite product, ever. If I was stranded on a desert island with only one product, I'd want it to be DMAE, because it lifts my eyes like nothing else. It's extremely drying when properly formulated though, so not everyone can use it.
Thank you RCW!

I guess I probably don't need the HA right now, but I can see where my eyelids could use DMAE at some point down the road. I have my Mother's heavy eyelids.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
but I can see where my eyelids could use DMAE at some point down the road. I have my Mother's heavy eyelids.

Yeah, I can thank my mother for the heavy upper lids also. Her's are so droopy now that they're flopping over her eyeballs. Sigh...something to look forward to...
Thanks so much, Colorado! I had read that thread before but got confused after reading everything.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
NOT RCW but she did address this specific questions elsewhere for me. DMAE, when used twice a day (for RCW) showed a noticeable difference in firming skin. It will not address wrinkles.

Read through In my newest PSF order... - it addresses my specific request about wrinkles, which Retin A to start with, how to apply, and where to get it, etc. HTH
Originally Posted by CurlyinColorado
Your welcome, I definitely referenced this thread a couple of times to make sure I had the routine down pat.
2b/3a.
I recently got a good look at the size of my pores in those huge mirrors at the optician's office. They seem to be especially big on my nose and I have blackheads, to boot. I admit, I don't take care of my skin at all. I am so lucky I've got genetics on my side, but I really want to do better.

Does anyone have some good suggestions for getting rid of blackheads, short of a facial? I really don't like the way they squeeze and pinch my skin to death. Are there any scrubs (like a loofah) that I can use to scrub the blackheads out? Or do I have to use some kind of chemical containing cream?

Thanks.
[quote=RedCatWaves;557821]
but I can see where my eyelids could use DMAE at some point down the road. I have my Mother's heavy eyelids.

Yeah, I can thank my mother for the heavy upper lids also. Her's are so droopy now that they're flopping over her eyeballs. Sigh...something to look forward to...[/quote]

I can relate. My mother has even had surgery to correct hers.

I quit using the DMAE gel a few months back due to issues with dryness on my face. But I just reordered it because I now see that it really did make a difference with my eyelids. I guess I'll just use it on my eyes and neck.

Thanks RCW for all of the info.

Trending Topics