paging RedCatWaves - a newbie to active skincare here!

Yet another cleanser question-how does this one look?

"Utilizing a unique blend of green papaya and pineapple enzymes with proprietary green papaya, honey & aloe vera, painstakingly selected from natural sources. The buckwheat honey used, for example, was tested to be 20 times the antioxidant activity as the common lighter color varieties. Under laboratory disciplines, enzyme mixes, concentration, pH levels & formulation conditions are tightly controlled to maximize enzymatic activity.

Exfoliating-enzyme-cleanser ingredients: aloe vera, honey, green papaya concentrate, papain, bromelain, coca betaine, methyl gluceth, xanthan gum, germaben II, vitamin c & e, citric acid, peg-8. "

I usually use SAS Salicylic Acid Wash, which is aloe based. The only bad things in it, I think, are the parabens. I alternate with the Pinapaya cleanser, which I really like. I was thinking about trying the mask and the polish(A face & body buffing creamy lotion of fresh green papaya grains, papaya/pineapple enzymes and micro-spheres of jojoba ester) but I would love your opinions on this first.
Originally Posted by Curly Girl Fla

Coca betaine is a detergent. A mild one, but still a detergent. I love aloe vera, but I use it separately as a moisturizer (it's my summer moisturizer) so that it gets to stay on my skin, as opposed to in a cleanser where it's rinsed off fairly quickly. I don't see the point of using Vit C in a cleanser...it's not staying on and it's not being utilized because the the pH and detergent vehicle aren't ideal to allow the Vit C to penetrate. I think that particular cleanser is "gimmick-y".
just returned from the derma.

i don't like him. i am definitely switching to someone else...the problem is that there aren't too many in the city where i live.

he gave me a generic RX for retin-a 0.05% cream. will this work as well as the brand name retin-a?

he would not give me an RX for Tri-luma...he said that it would irritate my skin and could cause additional pigmentation. hmmm. not sure if i believe him.

he wanted to give me an RX for antibiotics...i said no. then he mentioned some type of benzoyle (spelling) peroxide products. i said no. they didn't work for me when i was 21 (same with the antibiotics). not going to work for me now.

he said what didn't work for me at 21 may work for me now. i still said no. i had too much irritation and nothing to show for it when i used that RX years ago.

i am definitely finding a new derma.

i am so thankful i am not a sickly person. doctors get on my nerves with their know it all attitude.
Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
just returned from the derma.

i don't like him. i am definitely switching to someone else...the problem is that there aren't too many in the city where i live.

he gave me a generic RX for retin-a 0.05% cream. will this work as well as the brand name retin-a?

i asked if i could have a gel RX, and he asked, "are you trying to irritate your skin even more?". i didn't realize i was not allowed to ask questions.
he would not give me an RX for Tri-luma...he said that it would irritate my skin and could cause additional pigmentation. hmmm. not sure if i believe him.

he wanted to give me an RX for antibiotics...i said no. then he mentioned some type of benzoyle (spelling) peroxide products. i said no. they didn't work for me when i was 21 (same with the antibiotics). not going to work for me now.

he said what didn't work for me at 21 may work for me now. i still said no. i had too much irritation and nothing to show for it when i used that RX years ago.

i am definitely finding a new derma.

i am so thankful i am not a sickly person. doctors get on my nerves with their know it all attitude.
Yet another question for RedCatWaves,

I have been looking for Vit C on PSF and cannot seem to locate anything specific. What is the name of the product?

K
3A - fine, just above shoulder length, w/red color and highlights.

Product: Suave Coconut leave in, Joico Joiwhip mousse, Angell or F/X Curl booster on wet hair. Sometimes rotate in ReCoil/CK.

Routine: Scrunch with cloth diapers, then use Shellynot's clipping method. Diffuse a bit without touching hair. Leave clips in at least half and hour. Remove clips and air dry.

Day 2: Pineapple, no product.

DT once a week with DevaCare OneC

ALSO:
"I got a crush on Obama."

I have been looking for Vit C on PSF and cannot seem to locate anything specific. What is the name of the product?

K
Originally Posted by kcurls
Not RCW, but here's the Vit C I'm ordering from PSF:
https://www.psfskincare.com/cgi-bin/...ion&key=VITC-1
KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.

K

I see someone else linked it. It's on the second page of "treatment" products, which is why you probably didn't see it. It's hard to tell there is a second page on that site sometimes.
Thanks KKL and RCW for the quick reply!

I am drinking a nice glass of white wine and doing some online ordering tonight. Middle-aged fun!
3A - fine, just above shoulder length, w/red color and highlights.

Product: Suave Coconut leave in, Joico Joiwhip mousse, Angell or F/X Curl booster on wet hair. Sometimes rotate in ReCoil/CK.

Routine: Scrunch with cloth diapers, then use Shellynot's clipping method. Diffuse a bit without touching hair. Leave clips in at least half and hour. Remove clips and air dry.

Day 2: Pineapple, no product.

DT once a week with DevaCare OneC

ALSO:
"I got a crush on Obama."

K
Originally Posted by KurlyKarenLee
Is it REALLy worth $45?
i'll let you know...i received my order today.

if it gets rid of the pigmentation on my face and brightens my complexion, then yes, it will be worth $45.

K
Originally Posted by KurlyKarenLee
Is it REALLy worth $45?
Originally Posted by Poodlehead

I think so, but others might not. Vit C gives me a nice glow and seems to help keep hyperpigmentation at bay. It also offers some protection against sun damage (it's not a sunscreen substitute as it doesn't block tanning or burning, just protects against damage). I don't spend a lot of money on my hair or (any money) on my nails, so I figure my face is worth it.
I am drinking a nice glass of white wine and doing some online ordering tonight. Middle-aged fun!
I definitely think we could be friends!!
The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
i wanted expand on the price of products.

i have always had lovely skin (received lots compliments)...but when i turned 21, my skin went haywire. for an entire year, it was awful. then when i turned 22, it returned to normal...somewhat.

through the years, my skin has somewhat behaved...but then i turned 35, and yet again, my skin is acting oddly...and not in a good way.

i have wasted money on drugstore products that don't work. goodness, some of those products are $22+. wasted money. why not buy something that works?

since i have started using some of these products...my skin is returning to normal...and looking lovely. so to me $45 is worth it.

and like RCW, I don't spend money on my nails, i don't buy coffee, don't buy soft drinks, don't spend a lot of money on my hair.

in my world, i would rather have really lovely skin and just pull back my hair...

and since i am still growing out a bad haircut from 7/2006, having lovely skin is even more important to me right now.
I received my PSF order-so quick!-and used the cleanser last night/this morning-love it!!!and it is so concentrated! I have some questions on the other stuff. Basically, I want to cleanse, bha, dmae, retin-a, moisturize (major problems with the wait times, but I'll try!). First-do you just apply a drop of the bha in problem areas, or on the whole face?
And I use a T-Zone serum that I'm hesitant to part with even though it has those parabens-it's the only thing that has kept oil at bay for me, and I was wondering a) if it would negate the effectiveness of any of these products and, if it's ok to use b) should I use it before or after the bha?
T-Zone ingredients: distilled water, sea kelp bioferment, azeloyl glycine, niacinamide, EGCG from green tea, propylene glycol and diazolidinyl urea and methylparaben and propylparaben

They also included samples of the pumpkin peel and microderm cream. I don't know how I'll find the time to try all this stuff, but I can't wait to use it all!
I received my PSF order-so quick!-and used the cleanser last night/this morning-love it!!!and it is so concentrated! I have some questions on the other stuff. Basically, I want to cleanse, bha, dmae, retin-a, moisturize (major problems with the wait times, but I'll try!). First-do you just apply a drop of the bha in problem areas, or on the whole face?
And I use a T-Zone serum that I'm hesitant to part with even though it has those parabens-it's the only thing that has kept oil at bay for me, and I was wondering a) if it would negate the effectiveness of any of these products and, if it's ok to use b) should I use it before or after the bha?
T-Zone ingredients: distilled water, sea kelp bioferment, azeloyl glycine, niacinamide, EGCG from green tea, propylene glycol and diazolidinyl urea and methylparaben and propylparaben

They also included samples of the pumpkin peel and microderm cream. I don't know how I'll find the time to try all this stuff, but I can't wait to use it all!
Originally Posted by Curly Girl Fla

The cleanser really is awesome. Glad you like it. I understand the frustration with the wait times. I have had to change some things in my morning and evening routines to accomodate the wait times, but seeing results really makes me want to keep to my routine.

BHA should be used all over the face (except the eye area), because it's just an overall good exfoliator. You can probably combine the wait times after BHA and DMAE because they are both low pH.

As for the T-zone stuff...it doesn't look too bad. You might find that as your skin barrier heals (from not using detergents), that you'll be less oily. Also, if you're oily, you probably don't need to moisturize very much, so maybe if you skip the moisturizer you won't have as much oily breakthrough during the day. Being shiny/oily isn't necessarily a bad thing...it looks "youthful".

Using those products, I would try for a routine like this:

AM
Cleanse
BHA - wait til dry
DMAE - wait 20-30
T-zone stuff
Moisturize (only if necessary)
sunscreen
makeup

PM
Cleanse
DMAE - wait 20-30
Retin-A (start SLOW with this)
Moisturize
I am really liking the vitamin c serum from PSF. But I have a couple questions -- should it be used in the eye area, like right down to the eyelashes? And should I be waiting between the C serum and sunblock/makeup etc?

What is the BHA for? I didn't order it.. I am using DMAE and C serum in the morning, and DMAE and Retin A 0.01 at night. Just started the Retin A so maybe I should see how all of this works together before adding yet another new product.
I am really liking the vitamin c serum from PSF. But I have a couple questions -- should it be used in the eye area, like right down to the eyelashes? And should I be waiting between the C serum and sunblock/makeup etc?

What is the BHA for? I didn't order it.. I am using DMAE and C serum in the morning, and DMAE and Retin A 0.01 at night. Just started the Retin A so maybe I should see how all of this works together before adding yet another new product.
Originally Posted by guinness

I use Vit C all over my eyes, right up to the lashlines. You should wait for Vit to absorb before proceeding...about 5-ish minutes.

BHA is salicylic acid. It aids in exfoliation and is great for acne. Some people (me) find it too harsh/drying when used in conjunction with DMAE and Retin-A, so it's not a necessity. I have some on hand that I use whenever I think I'm going to get a breakout, so I do use occasionally, just not every day anymore since I started using the DMAE.

BHA is salicylic acid. It aids in exfoliation and is great for acne. Some people (me) find it too harsh/drying when used in conjunction with DMAE and Retin-A, so it's not a necessity. I have some on hand that I use whenever I think I'm going to get a breakout, so I do use occasionally, just not every day anymore since I started using the DMAE.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
ah ok, thanks. good to know. i don't have breakouts, so i think i'll stick with the routine i have. so far, so good. the psf castile cleanser is fantastic, my skin feels perfectly balanced, not too oily, not too dry.
All right, now that y'all have convinced me on the Vit. C, emu oil and the DMAE (not to mention castille cleanser), tell me a bit about the Tri-Luma. What is it, where do you get it, and what is the purpose?

I'm going to skip the Retin-A for now... that may all change later, though...
All right, now that y'all have convinced me on the Vit. C, emu oil and the DMAE (not to mention castille cleanser), tell me a bit about the Tri-Luma. What is it, where do you get it, and what is the purpose?

I'm going to skip the Retin-A for now... that may all change later, though...
Originally Posted by Poodlehead

Tri-Luma is a prescription skin lightener. It's a compound of Retin-A, Hydroquinone 4%, and a topical steroid cream. It has gotten rid of all the hyperpigmentation (dark patches, usually hormonally related) I had on my cheeks, which I was unable to lighten any other way. I get it from medsmex.com.

Trending Topics