Crystal Gayle

Yes, I know she does not have curly hair but she is in the "over 40" crowd. I saw an advertisement last night for a CD of her greatest hits. I got curious and wondered "does she still have all that long hair." Today I googled for a recent picture of her. OMG, she does. I can't believe she doesn't realize it does not look good on someone her age. She is still quite attractive and would be even more so if she got her hair cut to about shoulder length.

I am all for us older women dressing better and wearing our hair differently than our mothers, but her hair style just does not look good anymore.
3b/c
I think she looks great, but I agree she would look younger with a more stylish hairdo. Looks like she put it in an up-do whenever she's not on stage. She can't really get rid of the long hair though...it's her trademark. No one would recognize her without it. I took these pics from her fan website:

She looks beautiful with it up in the last pic. I agree. Her hair is her trade mark. I doubt she will ever cut it. I was surprised she was Loretta Lynn's sister. Loretta is/was so country. Is she still alive?

ETA: I love long hair. Not as long as Crystal's, but definitely past the shoulders. I doubt I will ever cut it short or even right to the shoulders. I will probably wear it up more when I get older. I'm 56 as most of you kinow & my hair is bra strap length. It's pretty wild. There may be some who feel I should cut it & tame it down since I'm over 40, but I don't care. It pleases me. It makes me feel sexy.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
I was surprised she was Loretta Lynn's sister. Loretta is/was so country. Is she still alive?

I believe they are half-sisters (same mother), and Loretta is quite a bit older, but she's still alive. According to Wiki, Loretta is 73, Crystal is 56. Here's Loretta in 2005:

Wow! 20 year age diffence. I watched "Coal Miner's Daughter." I guess after Loretta's Dad died her Mom remarried.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
Crystal's name is really Brenda Gail Webb,they have the same parents.

I don't think she should change her hair now-it's been that way for so long and it's her look!
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
Her long hair may be her look, but it is not a good look. When she wears it pinned up, it looks nice, but long (at least as long as she is wearing it) and straight at her age is not flattering at all.

I do think some of us "older" women look good with longer hair, but by that I think shoulder length or maybe a little longer. Plus us curlies can get away with it being longer because we at least have some style to ours. Crystal just has plain straight awful looking hair. Just my opinion.

I was telling my husband. He said he never thought her long straight hair looked nice even years ago. We both think she needs to update her look.
3b/c
I don't want to be mean, but I think she looks older with her hair up. I agree, if she were to cut her hair shorter she would look much younger. Even though that was her trademark, she doesn't need it.
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
I think both she and Loretta are stunningly beautiful....jeez look at that skin!
I always thought of them both as "country", just one was classic twang and the other was pop.
trademark hair, won't ever be cut. I wish I could see the back of the hair
Getting curlier the longer I CG :-)
http://public.fotki.com/anniemay123/hair-982007/
Even Emmylou Harris cut her famous long hair after awhile, and look how great she looks now. But her hair is still longish and in a very flattering, fashion-forward cut. Even long hair needs shape and excellent cutting to look good. I'll bet anything that Crystal Gayle would look stunning in a similar haircut, and she'd still be able to put it up in a low or mid-height ponytail with a nice tailored ribbon or other nice ornament for a different look.
health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
Emmylou never had her hair down to the floor though. Her trademark was her pre-mature gray hair, and I imagine the negative flack from dying her hair would be about the same as if Crystal cut her hair.

Emmylou does have fan-tabulous gray hair though:

[/list]
Yeah-but look at Crystal Gayle-not just her hair-she looks damned good
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
well, just to chime in from the over 55 crowd, crystal looks good to me,as does loretta. i'd love to have hair that long! mine is waistlength but shrinks to a bit below shoulders.
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
I remember reading years ago that her long hair has lead to headaches and neck and back problems. I can understand that.

Here's a thought...how old is too old for long hair...wearing it down anyway.......
My son wears combat boots (and a parachute).
The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

I remember reading years ago that her long hair has lead to headaches and neck and back problems. I can understand that.

Here's a thought...how old is too old for long hair...wearing it down anyway.......
Originally Posted by susancnw
i'd say we're too old for long hair worn down when it looks bad to the person wearing it. i definitely had the longest hair at my 40th HS reunion in august but did get some nice compliments. i am sure some folks thought it looked crappy tho. probably i will get it cut some when i get tired of the thrill of having all this long hair. definitely when i am ready to be gray--off it goes. not there yet tho
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
[quote="banjocurl"]
definitely when i am ready to be gray--off it goes. not there yet tho
I don't know -- I love Jeepcurlygirl's hair. She's almost got me convinced to grow mine out again. I'm about 75% gray and wore it short and spikey for about a year until it got boring. I would love for it to look like Emmie Lou's --only curly.
KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.

I think it depends on the woman. Some older women can get away with wearing long hair down & some can't. It depends on their bone structure & how well their skin looks. I doubt if I will ever wear mine short. I will just wear it up if "I" feel it looks better that way.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls

I think it depends on the woman. Some older women can get away with wearing long hair down & some can't. It depends on their bone structure & how well their skin looks. I doubt if I will ever wear mine short. I will just wear it up if "I" feel it looks better that way.
Originally Posted by g-stringranny
I agree and would add
that personality has a great deal of say in the matter
I don't believe a woman is ever too old for long hair. A person should be able to wear their hair any way they want to. Years ago older women always had long hair. Who says you have to look like a poodle when you are older? How is that more flattering? I am almost 47 with waist-length hair, and I don't intend to cut it any time soon.
2b. Dark Golden Blond. Very fine texture. Medium thickness. Thrilled to find waves!!!
Into The Mystic
Women always say that when their hair turns all gray they are going to cut their hair short. Wait until you are all gray, you might not want to lose those locks!

I am salt and pepper, more salt. My hair is just about shoulder length. I can say right now, that if I get it cut shorter, it's back to blow drying and straightening with the flat iron, because I'm not gonna walk around with my tight curls stuck to my head like Harpo Marx. It's bad enough I have these doodly-dad things (that used to be bangs) sticking out of my forehead.

Trending Topics