OMG! I've been looking in the skincare forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By pigreyhound
  • 1 Post By fig jam

for all this info! Well! DUH...all the GOOD info is over here in the -Over 40 forum! Now we're talkin' - this is where I need to be!

I am over 40 and get those nasty hormonal mountians on my chin!

I am LOVING the info I am getting about skincare! Thanks RCW and everyone else for all of your helpful info!
Welcome! Glad you found us here. If you are talking about those under the skin pimples, I would suggest using Preparation H. It takes the inflammation & swelling out. Just don't pick them. It will take about 3 days to get rid of them. I've been using this for years & it works for me.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
I'll have to try that one next week. This week I am trying coconut oil...i'll let you know.
My son wears combat boots (and a parachute).
The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

DOooooN'T DOooooooo IT! Don't do the preparation H or any steroids for acne. I read a horror story about how your skin will become addicted in a dermatology book. I posted a thread about it. "WARNING preparation H and acne" The story was so sad, just don't want to see that happen to anyone EVER.
3c still searching for my HG...
Good ol fashioned toothpaste is the best trick for pimples. Even those under the skin ones. Make sure it's paste and not gel
^^^^I will have to try the toothpaste as I always get them on one side of my chin...red, painful and never really come to surface but always leaves a dark mark when they finally go away.

How many days and how long should I leave it on for each application?

TIA

Germany Curly

Last Relaxer(Texturizer): Aug. 2005
BC: May 2006

Last edited by curlee4life; 08-19-2008 at 01:46 PM.
This week I am trying coconut oil...i'll let you know.
Originally Posted by susancnw
Be careful w/ coconut oil, it's highly comedogenic.
3a, fine, highlighted, BSL. HGs so far: GF C&S leave in (d/c), Aussie Tizz No Frizz gel, honey, ACV, CK. Searching for a leave in curl cream to replace GF.
For toothpaste I cleanse my skin and apply a dot on the pimple before I go to bed. It will dry and stay on the blemish. I try not to move too much at night - don't want to rub it off By the next morning the redness is usually gone and the swelling is gone too. I then apply a concealer on top if needed.
RCW has some great advice, and I followed her recommendations for Dianne Yvonne's skincare website and active skincare. I would search this forum for threads on skincare as she has delineated typical routines for aging skin. The Dianne Yvonne website has some great sample sizes.

I now use Skinbiology products for the most part. My skin texture and clarity has improved, as has the hormonal outbreaks on my chin. I have the Blemex overnight lotion from Dianne Yvonne's site and that works pretty well for me when I do end up with one of those awful lumps!

Good luck!
AvanisaPerry likes this.
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
I believe I may have posted this once before, so sorry if you've already read the old posts and I'm repeating myself. (a hazard of old age?)

But Neutrogena's 2% salicylic acid products are the only ones that have ever prevented my chin pimples in the long run.

I've never found that anything makes an existing pimple go away except for time. I haven't completely closed my mind to the possibility, though....
This is really popular with those folks that are prone to breakouts. Step away from the Prep H, NOT good for your skin at all.
2b/3a.

Last edited by CurlyinColorado; 08-24-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Oh, no. I didn't know I would get mountain zits in my 40s. I had bad skin in my teens and twenties. I thought it was over, but maybe it's just my bcp.

Have you ever tried the Burt's Bees blemish stick?
RCWs skincare routine has eliminated -- and I mean ELIMINATED -- the big hormonal bumps for me. Gone. Never thought I would see that happen. I'm convinced the main credit goes to the PSF skin wash and the salicylic acid lotion. Maybe more to the skin wash, as I'd used salicylic acid preparations before. It's been more than 6 months since I had a big zit, or whenever I started using this stuff.

I get the very occasional little bump and the sample PSF sent me of their anti-acne mask (green clay stuff) kills those suckers overnight.

RCW, bless your beautiful hide! (That's a line from "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," not an insult!!)

ETA: The "skin wash" I use is the Gentle Castille.
AvanisaPerry likes this.
"Tell me, are you incapable of restraining yourself, or do you take pride in being an insufferable know-it-all?"

"Honey Badger don't care!"

Last edited by fig jam; 09-02-2008 at 09:46 AM.
I agree with Fig Jam's accolade to RCW! (I especially like the Seven Brides reference!!)

I have dry skin but hormonal outbreaks so can't use products for acne-prone skin, but the use of a daily serum exfoliant and simple oils for moisturizing really made a difference in my skin. For the most part I rarely have skin problems any more. And the problems I do have are MUCH smaller than they used to be and easily managed. No more hormonal "mountains."

So kudos to RCW!!! I am eternally grateful.
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
I love Mario Bedescu's drying lotion for the "big ones" (doesn't matter what I use on my skin preventativley, hormones cause those for me, so say the two dermatologists I've been to, and I'm not messing with my hormones!), but I've used toothpaste in a pinch when traveling or if I am all out.

Trending Topics