WARNING! preparation H and acne

I read the last thread, and I had to share the frightening reprecussions I learned about when you treat acne with steriods like preparation H.

I am starting a new thread after reading G-string granny's advice to Harley hoping more people might see the info.

If you are talking about those under the skin pimples, I would suggest using Preparation H. It takes the inflammation & swelling out. Just don't pick them. It will take about 3 days to get rid of them. I've been using this for years & it works for me.

Ladies, I am not trying to call anyone out, but I read this info in Brown Skin by Dr. Susan C Taylor (dermatologist) which is all about taking care of acne. (she is based in Philly just like RCW

I can't find the story on the web to cut copy and paste , so I will just type it up from my book with a footnote. (I'm going to include the intro to the horror story, cause it mirror's RCW's advice, BUT MAKE SURE YOU READ THE HORROR STORY TO FOLLOW)

(funny, the RCW similar advice didn't sink in when I got the book a couple years ago, but I remembered this horror story, and I pulled out the book after reading the last thread so I can give warning)

Treating Acne

Although acne can be very distressing, especially if it's accompanied by dark marks, and is not curable, you can rest assured that it's highly treatable. A variety of medications, both topical and oral, are quiet effective. If you tend to have occasional mild breakouts, you can probably treat the pimples ... by making some changes in your skin and hair-care routines. For example, women who use heavy makeup or certain hair pomades will notice a significant difference in acne outbreaks by simply discontinuing use of these products. If you scrub your face when cleansing, changing to a gentler washing routine will also improve the acne. These improvements occur even without the use of medication. If the adjustments do not improve your acne or if you have more severe acne, you will need to see a dermatologist for more potent prescription medication (bold parts above, I feel the doc should footnote RCW

MYTH: Corticosteroid creams (cortizone 10, cortaid, or prescription varieties) are a treatment for acne

TRUTH: OTC or prescription corticosteroid creams should never be used for the treatment of acne! These powerful medications can harm the skin, especially when used for long periods of time. It may initially appear that the acne improves with the use of these creams. However, as time goes on, the skin will become addicted to the medication. This means that when the medication is stopped, the skin will become red, itchy and uncomfortable, and many bumps will develop. So if you are using steroids for your facial acne, stop and see your dermatologist immediatly so that he or she can help you through the withdrawal process

Here is the story from the book that scarred my brain.

Case in point: STOP THE STEROIDS

Iesha...She began using 1% hydrocortisone cream on her face two years ago when she developed a few pimples. The bumps cleared up and she felt that her face was smooth and soft. Not wanting to "give up a good thing," Iesha continued applying the cream religiously every day.

After six months, she noticed that whenever she forgot to use the hydrocortisone cream, her face would break out in pimples and become red and irritated. After a year her face began to break out even when using the cream on a daily basis. Iesha then borrowed her sister's prescription eczema corticosteroid cream, Triamcinolone, and began using that daily on her face. After initial improvement she began to notice red blood vessels on her face. When she ran out of the Triamcinolone, her entire face became red, irritated, and covered with pimples and she came to me begging for a prescription for more Triamcinolone. I explained to Iesha that corticosteroid creams should never be used to treat acne and that her skin was addicted to the medication. Iesha was experiencing one of the known side effects of corticosteroids, THE IRREVERSIBLE GROWTH OF BLOOD VESSELS ON THE SKIN...

Me again If you have info to contradict this excerpt, please share. I just wanted to make sure no one experiences the horror's of Iesha .

Taylor, Susan C. (MD). Brown Skin. New York: HarperColliins Publishers Inc. 2003.
3c still searching for my HG...

Last edited by nina514; 03-23-2008 at 10:17 PM.
Yikes! I've never heard of using Preparation H for acne, although I have heard of using it for under-eye puffiness. I could never tolerate the smell, though, so it's not in my skin care routine.
KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
Speckla
What did she use on her hemmies??

Speckla
Acne is a type of bacterial infection. You should never, ever use corticosteroids on an infection. They suppress the immune system.
Wow, I'd never heard of Prep H for acne either. Yikes!
3a/medium texture/normal porosity

Trending Topics