Anyone with gray hair use a violet shampoo?

Like Tree6Likes

I have a lot of grey hair with a lot of white hair mixed in. I just found a bottle of Mrs. Stewart's laundry bluing in my cupboard. I'm going to give that a try for a little while. Last night, I mixed a few drops in with my No-poo. Seemed fine, no adverse effects to my hair like drying, frizz, etc. Not sure about whiter on the whites yet.
I looked up their website: www.MrsStewart.com and the it says that some people report using it for hair, by putting 'several' drops in the final rinse water. I guess I'll do my normal cool rinse, then maybe put a few drops in a 2 cup measuring cup, or something like that and just pour it over. I'm going to try that for a month or so, maybe a couple times a week, and see how it goes.
I'll report back if results are promising.
I have a lot of grey hair with a lot of white hair mixed in. I just found a bottle of Mrs. Stewart's laundry bluing in my cupboard. I'm going to give that a try for a little while. Last night, I mixed a few drops in with my No-poo. Seemed fine, no adverse effects to my hair like drying, frizz, etc. Not sure about whiter on the whites yet.
I looked up their website: www.MrsStewart.com and the it says that some people report using it for hair, by putting 'several' drops in the final rinse water. I guess I'll do my normal cool rinse, then maybe put a few drops in a 2 cup measuring cup, or something like that and just pour it over. I'm going to try that for a month or so, maybe a couple times a week, and see how it goes.
I'll report back if results are promising.
Originally Posted by AcurlOr2
I just read on the website that people put "a few" drops in 1-2 quarts of water. If you put a few drops in 2 cups of water you may end up with very blue hair.
The remedy, in that case, would be washing your hair with Dawn dish soap. not very curl friendly.
I just read on the website that people put "a few" drops in 1-2 quarts of water. If you put a few drops in 2 cups of water you may end up with very blue hair.
The remedy, in that case, would be washing your hair with Dawn dish soap. not very curl friendly.
Originally Posted by crwritt

You are so right !
let us know how it works out when you use it. do the ingredients seem curl friendly?
Originally Posted by rbb
I just squeezed a tube of the red gold corrector into a near full bottle of Bioinfusion rosemary mint conditioner
(Walgreen's store brand). I Cowashed with it and then put in Bioterra curl cream(Sally's brand) and Zero Frizz
wave shaping cream, plopped awhile then diffused.
http://www.facebook.com/editphoto.ph...&id=1744062716
My white's a little grayer, my light brassy blonde areas are a little less brassy.
I would say it works as well for the purpose of color as the purple shampoos, and as far as being CG, all it is, is hair dye without the peroxide, so it would be as
curl friendly as the conditioner you mix it with.
Originally Posted by crwritt
I just mixed a tube of this corrector iinto a bottle of VO5 conditioner and will start experimenting with it and let you all know how it works. If it works at least as well as the conditioners for grey hair I've tried so far, it would be great!
$1 for a tube of corrector, less than $1 for a bottle of VO5 conditioner. Cheaper than any of the other products I tried.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Update on the corrector. Great stuff. No need to spend a fortune on the other products. 99 cents for the corrector, 79 cents for a bottle of VO5 conditioner, no harsh ingredients, and it works as well as anything I've tried so far.
crwritt - thanks for the heads up on this product!!
In Western PA
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Well ugh! I have a supply of purple conditioners that will keep me covered up to the wazoo for longggg time, especially since I don't use them that often. THEN I will try the corrector idea! Thanks for posting back, jeepcurlygurl.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
Update on the corrector. Great stuff. No need to spend a fortune on the other products. 99 cents for the corrector, 79 cents for a bottle of VO5 conditioner, no harsh ingredients, and it works as well as anything I've tried so far.
crwritt - thanks for the heads up on this product!!
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl
You are quite welcome!
Well ugh! I have a supply of purple conditioners that will keep me covered up to the wazoo for longggg time, especially since I don't use them that often. THEN I will try the corrector idea! Thanks for posting back, jeepcurlygurl.
Originally Posted by curls2grow
Yep I had all those bottles of other purple things I was trying out. I gave all the harsh ones to my mom (she has thick wavy hair that seems to be made of iron. you can't hurt her hair!).
I kept the Shiny Silver Ultra Conditioner and will use it til it's gone then use the 'homemade' stuff.
In Western PA
Why is it that the obvious ideas are the ones that escape me most often? My mom has beautiful gray hair and I will see if she will use at least one bottle of my purple condish collection.

Are you using one tube of the corrector per application, or are you adding one tube of the corrector to an entire bottle of your favorite conditioner and keeping that as your bottle of "purple stuff"?
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
Why is it that the obvious ideas are the ones that escape me most often? My mom has beautiful gray hair and I will see if she will use at least one bottle of my purple condish collection.

Are you using one tube of the corrector per application, or are you adding one tube of the corrector to an entire bottle of your favorite conditioner and keeping that as your bottle of "purple stuff"?
Originally Posted by curls2grow
One little tube of red gold corrector is plenty for a whole
regular size bottle of conditioner.
I've seen Blue Chamomile in several of the more natural shampoos & conditioners for gray hair. Has anyone tried adding the EO to conditioner?
Medium-fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity, Thick Density
Co-wash: Renpure Body&Shine
RO: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
LI/Curl Enhancer: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
Other: I'll add a little AG Mousse Gel if I want something extra.
I decided to just order a bottle of the Ardell Red Gold Corrector. (I got it from Amazon along with a copy of the new CG book)
Hopefully it will brighten up my whites again.
Medium-fine Texture, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity, Thick Density
Co-wash: Renpure Body&Shine
RO: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
LI/Curl Enhancer: Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
Other: I'll add a little AG Mousse Gel if I want something extra.
I decided to just order a bottle of the Ardell Red Gold Corrector. (I got it from Amazon along with a copy of the new CG book)
Hopefully it will brighten up my whites again.
Originally Posted by heidi
Let us know how the Ardell Red Gold Corrector works for you, Heidi. I'm assuming you're putting it in a bottle of conditioner?
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

anyone ever use this shampoo? supposed to be sulfate free. there were a couple of ingredients i never encountered before. i tried looking it up online, but no ingredient list.
it was pricey, but if people here can tell me it is great, i am willing to buy and use it sparingly. and if the ingredients are really cg.

also, the woman trying to sell it to me had blow-fried hair! truth be told, if she had gorgeous curls i would have snapped it up!! lol
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:cj conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
sealants - spiral solutions emollience butter, jane carter nourish & shine

Last edited by rbb; 01-14-2011 at 12:14 PM.
I'm late to this party, but... I've used the L'Oreal violet shampoo and conditioner; both contain dimethicone which isn't water-soluble, and really are awful on my 3a--3b curls.

I can vouch for Manic Panic Virgin Snow toner, right over my salt & pepper hair, with no bleaching. Makes the white sparkle like...well, snow!
the manic panic removes the yellow? is it cg?
what are the ingredients?
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]
styling: cj pattern pusha, cj honey butta leave in, cj cccc, cj ciab, lalsg. cj aloe fix gel is my high dews/summer HG!!
It's not cg, definitely. It is a little drying, so yes, I condition very well after using it (I use Ouidad Curl Quencher).
But it's not meant to be used more than once every several months or so. It is really just a toner. The net result for me is more ash-toned "pepper" and brighter "salt" in my hair: essentially it just seems to increase the contrast.
Ingredients: I don't recall, haven't done it in a while. It's easy to find Manic Panic's website, though, if you just Google the term!
the manic panic removes the yellow? is it cg?
what are the ingredients?
Originally Posted by rbb

Its hair dye.It has a pale violet color. It masks the yellow/red by adding violet, much like the red gold corrector.
crwitt -- are you still using the ardell red/gold corrector? you say a regular size bottle of conditioner -- 8 oz? 12 oz?
do you think this is any better than the purple conditioners, except for the great fact that it is cg?
manic panic -- i heard it can dye hair a funky purple? clearly you have not had that experience! lol how has it worked for you? and how much of your hair is gray? how much is white?
[FONT="Arial Narrow"]

Trending Topics