Anyone with gray hair use a violet shampoo?

Like Tree6Likes

As I let my hair become gray, I'm wondering when/if to use one of those violet-based shampoos that are supposed to remove any yellowing. (ie: White Violet by Artec/L'Oreal, Aveda Blue Malva, Phyto Phytargent). They're also supposed to brighten up the gray and improve shine. However, their ingredients list is not especially CG. On the other hand, if I only use one occassionally, perhaps it wouldn't hurt. I tend to over-analyze a lot (!) and I probably don't have enough gray yet to worry about this, but I figured I'd start researching early!

So, anyone with experience or advice?
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I understand you can use a few drops of laundry "bluing" (found in the laundry aisle) in your regular washing conditioner or shampoo. I haven't used it on my hair, but it does work for my white laundry to give it more of a white look, rather than yellow.
As I let my hair become gray, I'm wondering when/if to use one of those violet-based shampoos that are supposed to remove any yellowing. (ie: White Violet by Artec/L'Oreal, Aveda Blue Malva, Phyto Phytargent). They're also supposed to brighten up the gray and improve shine. However, their ingredients list is not especially CG. On the other hand, if I only use one occassionally, perhaps it wouldn't hurt. I tend to over-analyze a lot (!) and I probably don't have enough gray yet to worry about this, but I figured I'd start researching early!

So, anyone with experience or advice?
Originally Posted by 2poodles
I have used the Clairol Shimmer lights and the knockoff Blue Malva. They do remove the yellow on your whites, however, I found that they really,really, really tend to strip my hair. Left my hair very tangled.
I have not tried applying conditioner before I use them. I would say that if you used them followed immediately with a DT, then you'd be in good shape.
Currently, using JC HCC, Too Shea, CK and CCSS, RR or LOOB or MOP-C.
CK is the one!!

as of 6/17/10 - I have to add Joico!

Pics at: http://public.fotki.com/hopetocurl/
pw:wheredacurls

We could learn a lot from crayons; some are sharp, some are pretty, some are dull, some have weird names and each is a different color. But they all have to learn how to live in the same box. ~Anonymous

Life is full of oxymorons....and morons too. ~hopetocurl

Last edited by hopetocurl; 03-28-2008 at 12:45 PM. Reason: to add a few reallys
My hairdresser suggested that I use Shimmer Lights once a week to cut down on some of the yellow. It does really strip the hair, though, so I have to use a lot of conditioner afterwards. Warning: If you use it more than once a week, you'll start looking like a "blue-hair."
KurlyKarenLee

You can say what you want about the South, but you never hear of anyone retiring and moving North.
Thanks for the advice and warning, KKL! I think I'll hold off for now. Not enough gray yet to risk stripping my hair or turning it blue!
2Poodles Southeast PA
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I have used Silver Fox conditioner and my hair is very shiny with the grays looking brighter after I use it. Here are the ingredients:

Deionized Water, Stearalkonium Chloride, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polysorbate 60, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Aloe Vera Gel, Panthenol, Hydrolyzed Elastin, Retinyl Palmitate, Cholecalciferol, Hydrolyzed Collagen, Collagen Amino Acids, Corn Oil, Citric Acic, Tetrasodium EDTA, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Ext. D&C Violet No. 2, Fragrance

I also have Aveda Blue Malva, which I don't like as much as the Silver Fox stuff, but I will use it up. I used either of these about every other month (because I forget to use them), and I do use a good detangling leave-in before I try to comb out my hair.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Last edited by curls2grow; 03-30-2008 at 08:05 AM. Reason: forgot something
Hi curls2grow,
Swartzkopf has just gone sulfate free with all their shampoos, the BC or Bonacure line is great, use Silver Reflex, they also have a conditioning toning Mousse with a violet base. In Florida grey hair goes yellow very easily, and blonds can use it too if they are getting brassy from well water or environmental factors. Good luck CurlPro
klloydmajestic likes this.
Swartzkopf has just gone sulfate free with all their shampoos, the BC or Bonacure line is great, use Silver Reflex, they also have a conditioning toning Mousse with a violet base.
Originally Posted by curlpro
Do you have a link to the Silver Reflex product(s)? I hope they have a conditioner! Thanks for mentioning it!
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
Hello,
When I left my hair grey/white (I had a moment of temporary insanity and decided to dye it again since it was so much work to keep it from yellowing and I hadn't figured out my curly hair routine. I am seriously thinking of going back to grey) I used the Deva no poo and conditioner for blonde hair. I do also like the Phytoargent, and would switch that in on occasion.
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
Can anyone please help me out with a link to the BC or Bonacure line, or Silver Reflex? I have never heard of these and I would love to buy them online. Thanks!
Try this:

http://www.sleekhair.com/9706.html
2Poodles Southeast PA

Thanks, 2poodles! But since I CO wash, I was hoping they made a conditioner to go with the shampoo. I don't see one listed at that link -- do you know if a conditioner is available in the line, targeted for gray hair?
I'm afraid to use a purple shampoo for my white hairs. I have dry hair already & I don't want it to take away what "red" I have left! But I have looked at the Jhirmack brand. I just wish they had a conditioner.
Putting in another plug for the Silver Fox conditioner. I haven't tried the shampoo, but I used the condish this morning and my hair felt clean and my curls looked great!
I've used shimmer lights as well as the similar shampoo from Jergens. I am not gray, but naturally blonde/light brown, and in the summer my hair gets very brassy. Shimmer Lights definitely makes it look whiter (or in my case, pale sandy golden)/less orangey (so much so that people asked me if I got highlights the next day), but it does strip the hair horribly. Jergens seemed to strip the hair as well, but didn't seem to noticably change the color.

I have used shimmer lights in the past in the summer, but not sure if I will this summer since I am now co-washing only.
Did you Ladies know that Shimmer lights has a conditioner??
There are also no 'cones in it! great for a co-wash.
The shampoo is very stripping so tomorrow Im gonna try the conditioner.
Iam a 3a-b with high lifted blond hair that tends to go yellow.
Can you please tell me where Shimmer Lights conditioner is sold?
most beauty supply stores including 'Sally beauty supply'
the color is strong though, so I wouldnt use it more than once a week.
I've used shimmer lights as well as the similar shampoo from Jergens. I am not gray, but naturally blonde/light brown, and in the summer my hair gets very brassy. Shimmer Lights definitely makes it look whiter (or in my case, pale sandy golden)/less orangey (so much so that people asked me if I got highlights the next day), but it does strip the hair horribly. Jergens seemed to strip the hair as well, but didn't seem to noticably change the color.

I have used shimmer lights in the past in the summer, but not sure if I will this summer since I am now co-washing only.
Originally Posted by franfaircloth
I just wanted to add, I bought the Jergens version that you stated didnt work, well...ON TOP OF THAT...It dried my scalp out SO bad, that I had to discontinue use, and I am lying in bed right now with tea tree oil on my head in a shower cap, to treat the dry, scaley burning itching flakes of skin on my scalp. I didnt have this problem prior to Jergins. I cant find the blue shampoo I used to use, so I just ordered Shimmer Lights online due to all the good feedback on it. Does anyone know if it is bad for drying scalp? I also bought online an Organic Shampoo WITH tea tree oil in it, and same conditioner, to help me heal...SO...until it all gets here, lets hope the selsom blue will give me enough comfort, and this treatment (now) I have on helps heal...yall...this sucks! SO>>>>STAY AWAY from JERGANS!!!
i just got a bottle of Shimmer Lights conditioner on Ebay. My hair gets a little yellow in the summer so I thought I'd give it a try. Will let you know how it works.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd

Trending Topics