curly styles for older women ?????????

I'm 47 and have let all the color grow out, so now have alot of gray. I've also let it go curly in the last 2-3 years. My problem is I can't get the right style. I've been to several salons, one of them specializes in curly hair, but the styles leave me looking like an old Shirley Temple. The women that I work with keep telling me to color and strighten my hair again. That I looked younger that way. I don't really care if I look younger. I just want a curly style that looks good on an older women. Any suggestions? Help!!!

Willow
Wow, I am in the same boat as you, right down to people close to me making comments about being too young not to color and that I should straighten it. I'm going to be 43 this month and I'm about 40% gray. I keep thinking of the Olay model with the long gray hair...that has only encouraged me not to cut until I find a style that I can be happy with that still keeps my hair long enough for half-ups and ponytails. I will watch this thread to see the replies you receive.

How are you wearing your hair now? Mine is blunt cut all around (but the curls make it look uneven/layered on the bottom) and just below shoulders when dry.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
I got tired of coloring my hair and I'm about 20% grey. I also got tired of my basically blunt-ish cut.

So I found I picture of a curly cut that I liked and took it to my stylist. This cut entailed snipping off about 5 -7 inches of hair, but I was fine with that because I wanted as much of the colored section GONE.

My hair is now just about at the nap of my neck and very layered (ignore my avatar pic).
It's short by my ears and also short at the top of my head too.
I guess you could say it's like a shag shape from the 70's but more updated.

I have never had so many compliments and I love the cut, it's extremely easy to keep up. The curls are more defined too.

I don't think you need to go to a salon that specializes in curly hair, but you need a stylist that will work with curly hair and listen.
I found my current stylist through a coupon offer from Regis! She now works for herself. And she's extremely young, of Asian decent, and with stick straight hair. So you never know who's going to be "the stylist" that makes you happy, and they certainly don't have to have curly hair to cut it well.
3B/3C
No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
Hello,
I am 41 and about 80% gray. When I don't color my hair (I had a moment of craziness and colored because I thought I looked old) I actually get lots of compliments if I can keep it platinum and silvery. If you can find a way to make the gray a color, that helps some. (There is a great book and website, Going Gray, Looking Great)

Whatever style looks good on you is going to make you feel your best and you will be happier and confident. I always think my hair has to be cut in some layers around my face so it doesn't drag it down.
The other thing is that you may need to change the tones in your makeup. When my hair is white, I tend to need more pink tones to warm my skin. (I am very pale)
Good luck.
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
First of all, at 41 you are not "old", and that haircutter didn't do you any favors by putting you into the "older woman" box that many cutters do. You need a different hair-cutter! My advice, before you need your next haircut, look around for some other cutters and book a consultation with them to get the vibe. If one is letting nature take its course with grey and this is a personal decision, it is more important than ever to get a beautiful, hip-looking haircut - this will make the difference between frumpsville and looking like a stylish mature woman. A really simple thing to do is look on the web, for curly hairstyles that feature hair that is a similar texture to yours, and the general length you're after. It doesn't matter if the models hair is three shades of red either -if the hair itself, and the general look would fit, print some of these out and take them along to your consultation. Also, often salons have trade books with hairstyles in them as well, to get an idea. Man, I thought the bad Shirley Temple poodle look disappeared from haircutters' repertoire!
Hope this helps!
health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
pigreyhound -- Thanks for mentioning the website! I got the book over a year ago, to get me into the growing out mode. I had no idea there was a website. I wish there was a way to subscribe for updates -- I can't find one.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
I just borrowed the book from the state library so I am just getting some ideas myself! I haven't looked around for updates but if I find a place to subscribe, I will let you know. Did you look under the gray cafe, or whatever they call the forum they have for the site?
I am not sure how I am going to do it, but my plan is to keep most of my length and have a professional transition me into my gray. I am thinking white with platinum and maybe some sort of lowlight in the back where I still have some color.
But I think the book has some cool cuts and great ideas for anti-frumpy gray hair.
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
Thanks, I poked around on the site a little more and found where to register.
I'm 61 yrs old with naturally curly hair 3b, highlighted. I like to look good and stylish. I've tried to find sites with photos of hairstyles for mature woman but can't find any good ones. Can anyone suggest a site or a book or magazine that offers styles for older woman that want to look great !!!
I honestly think that your face shape is much more important for determining your style than your age. A well cut style that works with your clothes and fashion style is what determines your overall appearance. That's just my opinion - good luck finding something that pleases you!
My grandmother made it to 85 with long beautiful thick, wavy gray and white hair. I am almost 46 and I am growing my hair out. I will keep layers to frame my face. With short hair I look like a boy and I am sick of it! I recently discovered henna and indigo so I will color it naturally. Maybe when I am 80 I will let it be white but I might try red 1st.
Type: 3a, fine, thin, low porosity Water/Climate: soft/ marine Washes: water w/washcloth, shikakai, clay Condition: Style:Seamollient, CurlsPFCCP, Miracurl, Gel-les'c, CK; rudeechick's super soaker method; blot, air dry 30 min; diffuse Also: coconut oil

I'm 47 next month and while i have no grey, I am , well.... 47!!!

I think our hair should suit our faces, bodies and styles...Not our birth certificates!

Post some pics and we will make style suggestions!
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
I definitely agree that your hair style should be based on your face shape, body etc., however, it would be nice to find a magazine or site that had "older" women with different hair styles. For instance if I'm looking for a change and want to take a picture to my hair dresser to see if she thinks it would suit me...it would be great not to have to take a picture of someone half (or more) my age. I think it would be encouraging and motivating. I was going to post a picture and my camera needs batteries so I'll do that soon.

Karen
It seems at this point the only person whose not half my age is G-d
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
I definitely agree that your hair style should be based on your face shape, body etc., however, it would be nice to find a magazine or site that had "older" women with different hair styles. For instance if I'm looking for a change and want to take a picture to my hair dresser to see if she thinks it would suit me...it would be great not to have to take a picture of someone half (or more) my age. I think it would be encouraging and motivating. I was going to post a picture and my camera needs batteries so I'll do that soon.

Karen
Originally Posted by KarenRB53
Your hair sounds similar to mine--your curl is probably tighter. I've been wearing an inverted, curly bob the last year. It's the first time in my over thirty years of wearing my hair wavy/curly that I feel that I have a style. Lots are getting bob cuts these days. Here's a thread that might give you some ideas:

Curly Bobs Unite! What's to like about it.
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic (now Hello Curly Curl Stimulater); Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams

Karen
Originally Posted by KarenRB53
I think you could get some good ideas by looking at the celebrity photos on here or anywhere. A lot of the famous women are 50-something and have very good looking styles. I understand not feeling comfortable in something you think is too young looking; since my young hair was mohawks and very bright colors and dreads and buzz-cuts, I feel like I have sedate adult hair now with the long layers and natural waves, LOL.
2c / C / iii (FIA)
Med-Coarse, LowPorosity, NormalElast (LCLF)

Shoulder-Length now.

Wash: DevaCare Low Poo
Detangle & Rinseout: Walgreens or Sally's Conditioning Balm (always)
Leave-in: DevaCare OneC (budget choice is GFTN)
Style: ReCoil & DevaCare Arc Angel (budget choices are HESMU or Got2BSpikedUp)

Henna!
Your new hair style sounds great...do you have pics?
I got tired of coloring my hair and I'm about 20% grey. I also got tired of my basically blunt-ish cut.

So I found I picture of a curly cut that I liked and took it to my stylist. This cut entailed snipping off about 5 -7 inches of hair, but I was fine with that because I wanted as much of the colored section GONE.

My hair is now just about at the nap of my neck and very layered (ignore my avatar pic).
It's short by my ears and also short at the top of my head too.
I guess you could say it's like a shag shape from the 70's but more updated.

I have never had so many compliments and I love the cut, it's extremely easy to keep up. The curls are more defined too.

I don't think you need to go to a salon that specializes in curly hair, but you need a stylist that will work with curly hair and listen.
I found my current stylist through a coupon offer from Regis! She now works for herself. And she's extremely young, of Asian decent, and with stick straight hair. So you never know who's going to be "the stylist" that makes you happy, and they certainly don't have to have curly hair to cut it well.
Originally Posted by godgivenperm

Your new hair style sounds great..any pics?
I am struggling with this issue, too. My curls look great from the back, but all wrong from the front. I have small features and having big hair overwhelms them. I probably look better with shorter hair, but good stinking luck finding a stylist who can do short and curly and not make me look 60 or older. I don't think I'll be ready for short and curly until I'm that age or older.

Last edited by Verity; 05-19-2009 at 12:36 PM.
I'm 49 years old and have come to the conclusion that aside from a very short cut, longish (shoulder length) is the only way to wear my hair. I felt plain and invisible with really short hair. Although the hair itself looked fine. With longer hair I feel more feminine.Any length in between results in bushiness and me constantly fighting with my hair.I have to be able to wear it half up or back since its usually too unruly to wear down. Maybe when its in better condition I'll wear it down more often.

I'm limited by the nature of my hair and I completely accept it. I'm enjoying having it longer and curlier.
cg Dec 08
fine to med texture w/ some coarse / high porosity 2c to 3a

Trending Topics