Is it stupid to worry about getting facial hair?

Like Tree1Likes

My grandmother had chin hair, and now I do, too. I pluck it if I remember, but sometimes, I shave it off in the shower. I figure, WTH? I'll never be as hairy as my fiance, so who has to know?
I've had facial hair probably since my mid-20s. I never thought if it as a sign of ageing. I just have it waxed or use a depilatory for senstive skin/facial hair; part of my normal routine.

It's just part of having dark hair and light skin.
Originally Posted by Malory
I have mine waxed now, too. I've used a depilatory a couple of times. It did a good job of removing the hair, and eventhough I don't have particularly sensitive skin, it burned me. What kind do you use? Have you had any problems with it burning your skin? TIA!
Originally Posted by VTmom
I'm actually using a store brand. It makes my skin a bit red, but it goes away quickly. No worse than the redness I get from waxing.
One think I'm worried about is getting facial hair! I think it's a waste of time and seems really superficial to me!

Speckla
Originally Posted by Speckla

wait until you start growing a beard and see how superficial and a waste of time you think it is.

it is a devastating experience. at least for me it was! one little light brown hair plucked returned with a vengeance and brought its cruddy little friends with it.

thank GOD for electrolysis.
when all else fails...eat
[COLOR="Purple"]
My husband and I have a pact. If either of us ends up gorked in a nursing home, he will visit me often to pluck my chin hairs, or I will visit him often to pluck his ear hairs. If both of end up demented though, we're screwed. We think it's just too much to ask our kids to pluck our unattractive hairiness.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
I don't want kids, so I always tell my siblings that I'm going to make it rich and whichever niece or nephew comes to the nursing home and plucks my chin/eyebrow/lip hair gets my inheritance! Or maybe I'll just hire a nurse to do it and give my inheritance to them! I'm already plucking and have since I was like 16. At least I'm not like my sister who has to shave daily...and has a worse 5 o'clock shadow than her husband!
2B...ish
http://public.fotki.com/SunshineGrrl/ pw: drama
Products
This area is under construction as my hair type changed and nothing works well for me. I shampoo, I condition and pretty much have done nothing but chuck my hair in a messy bun for the past oh...year? Yeah, I'm that lazy.

No...going no-poo or CG does not work for me. It leaves me overconditioned and oily in a second no matter what I use, so that's not what's not working.
Speckla
One think I'm worried about is getting facial hair! I think it's a waste of time and seems really superficial to me!

Speckla

wait until you start growing a beard and see how superficial and a waste of time you think it is.

it is a devastating experience. at least for me it was! one little light brown hair plucked returned with a vengeance and brought its cruddy little friends with it.

thank GOD for electrolysis.
Originally Posted by BugEyeZ
I'm referring to worrying about something that hasn't happened yet. I'm not saying removing hair is superficial or a waste of time.

Speckla
Ladies,

No need to worry. Intense pulse laser is a reality!

I've got my armpits and bikini area done ages ago.
Say goodbye to annoying waxing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_hair_removal
laser hair removal worked wonders for me! plucking my chin hairs just left me with bad scarring (i have very sensitive skin). i used to be very self-conscious about it--now i don't give it another thought.

i'd love to have my armpits done, too. not so sure about the bikini area--didn't that hurt?
3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
Ugh. I routinely have nightmares about chin hair. This morning I woke up with one thought on my mind: electrolysis or laser, whatever it takes! I've done electrolysis before. I just wish there were some way to crush the inactive follicles before they get any ideas. Maybe I can use mental energy to redirect all that hair-growing power to my scalp.

I bet men with hairy ears aren't stigmatized in nursing homes, but deep down I'm convinced that the bearded female patients are not treated as well as their facially hairless sisters!

I am also curious if applying retin-a to the face stimulates the growth of facial hair.
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
laser hair removal worked wonders for me! plucking my chin hairs just left me with bad scarring (i have very sensitive skin). i used to be very self-conscious about it--now i don't give it another thought.

i'd love to have my armpits done, too. not so sure about the bikini area--didn't that hurt?
Originally Posted by journotraveler
Not so bad. Of course it's not a painless thing, but to me, armpits were worse. I used to wax everything, which hurts much more, and had to do that every 2-3 weeks...
BTW, I used to go visit my Grandma when she was in a Nursing Home, toward the end. She had some pretty funkadelic whiskers. We just took either a regular razor and shaved it off, or took an electric razor and shaved them off. Simple enough. And the nurses will do it. In fact, they offered, but we had already beat them to it.
2B...ish
http://public.fotki.com/SunshineGrrl/ pw: drama
Products
This area is under construction as my hair type changed and nothing works well for me. I shampoo, I condition and pretty much have done nothing but chuck my hair in a messy bun for the past oh...year? Yeah, I'm that lazy.

No...going no-poo or CG does not work for me. It leaves me overconditioned and oily in a second no matter what I use, so that's not what's not working.
Okay,I'll admit that I get a chin hair now and then and hair on my lip.I just have DH pull it out or use a trimmer for the hair on my lip.I'm offically embarassed!
3B-3C, alittle past tailbone length,age:41 years
developing facial hair can be indicative of a change in your health.
think of it as a "canary in a coal mine".
it can be quite common for women with PCOS or a testosterone imbalance.
Originally Posted by rouquinne
I've had a total hysterectomy and both my ovaries out Oct 2006 and I worry about getting facial hair. I don't want to ask on the hysterectomy board I post on because it seems like such a small issue compared to what a lot of those lady have gone through.

So far so good. I don't expect to wake up with a full mustache one morning...but I'm sure a hair will appear here and there...just don't happen soon!

Speckla
I had a partial in 85, and fight facial hair horribly Of course the Dr tells me I am post mentopausal..Lazer hair removal will soon be my best friend
2c/3a Fine Blonde/Silver
I don't worry about it. It's not happening to me now & if it does later on then I will take care of it. It's not so much an age related thing. I see women half my age with facial hair. I always wonder why they don't take care of it.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls

Originally Posted by journotraveler
Not so bad. Of course it's not a painless thing, but to me, armpits were worse. I used to wax everything, which hurts much more, and had to do that every 2-3 weeks...
Originally Posted by criscat
good to know. i'll try the armpits first, and proceed from there.
I don't worry about it. It's not happening to me now & if it does later on then I will take care of it. It's not so much an age related thing. I see women half my age with facial hair. I always wonder why they don't take care of it.
Originally Posted by g-stringranny
yeah, it was a problem for me even before i hit my 30s. i'm just hairy.
[QUOTE=Speckla;577529][quote=BugEyeZ;577418]
I'm referring to worrying about something that hasn't happened yet. I'm not saying removing hair is superficial or a waste of time.

Speckla
i guess that's like me worrying about killer bees, a major earthquake hitting the midwest, and a cat 5 tornado landing in downtown minneapolis. major waste of time. you're right.
when all else fails...eat
[COLOR="Purple"]
Ladies,

No need to worry. Intense pulse laser is a reality!

I've got my armpits and bikini area done ages ago.
Say goodbye to annoying waxing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_hair_removal
Originally Posted by criscat
How long ago did you do it? I've had some IPL, and now some true laser treatments. But I hear it's not totally permanent, sometimes leaves finer hairs. What were your results? Please share!

SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring"
3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
* pw: just4curlies
* My Motto: Strand Test!
some hair pics
-- gone, but never forgotten.
Dont worry, there are so many good options available now! Waxing, perfect. Laser, perfect if your hair is dark, though. It does not help light hair. And electrolysis. Make sure you use a certified person to do so! I thought I would die when getting gray hair, and worried about that a lot. But now, at the age when I am getting it, it is not a problem at all! For now I color, and it is fun. Later i will go all white, and dig it!

Trending Topics