Is it stupid to worry about getting facial hair?

Like Tree1Likes

Speckla
One think I'm worried about is getting facial hair! I think it's a waste of time and seems really superficial to me!

Speckla
Luckily, there's a solution to every problem. I get my upper lip waxed and I pluck those annoying chin hairs. One of the many "side effects" of growing older.
The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
I don't think it's superficial at all to worry about having facial hair. Since I was a teenager, I have always been self-concious about my "moustache". Some of my friends, and the occasional guy would tease me about it. -ouch!- I have always assigned my Spanish and Mexican heritage to the fuzzy lip - can't do anything about that.

I started bleaching the hair, thinking that would make it less noticeable. In my 20's, I began with the waxing and the depilatory creams. Nowadays, I pluck. Since I now use Retin-a, the bleaching, waxing and depilatory creams are contraindicated. I pluck very carefully and, so far, haven't had any trouble.

There are many signs of aging that I can and do accept. The sagging breasts, not-so-flat tummy, thinning and greying hair don't bother me so much. I figure my 'stache is something I can quickly and easily manage and it just makes me less self-concious.
Funny - I think we all have our limits, our lines in the sand. Gray hair and some forehead wrinkles don't bother me enough to do anything about them - at least not now. But if I had facial hair, I would absolutely get them gone!!
Morgan_Adcock likes this.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Banned
Just so you're not growing a big ole 'stache or anything...
developing facial hair can be indicative of a change in your health.

think of it as a "canary in a coal mine".

it can be quite common for women with PCOS or a testosterone imbalance.
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
Just so you're not growing a big ole 'stache or anything...
Originally Posted by WileECoyote - Daddy's grl
So far, Tom Selleck still has me beat....
Speckla
developing facial hair can be indicative of a change in your health.
think of it as a "canary in a coal mine".
it can be quite common for women with PCOS or a testosterone imbalance.
Originally Posted by rouquinne
I've had a total hysterectomy and both my ovaries out Oct 2006 and I worry about getting facial hair. I don't want to ask on the hysterectomy board I post on because it seems like such a small issue compared to what a lot of those lady have gone through.

So far so good. I don't expect to wake up with a full mustache one morning...but I'm sure a hair will appear here and there...just don't happen soon!

Speckla
Luckily, there's a solution to every problem. I get my upper lip waxed and I pluck those annoying chin hairs. One of the many "side effects" of growing older.
Originally Posted by VTmom
Yup, what she said goes for me too!
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
Effing chin hairs. I have gotten a few since I hit my 40's. My stash used to be fine and blonde, but it's darkened in the last few years, and I can't wax it because of Retin-A (waxing tears the skin right off...I tried it once a few months ago and had a horrible time clearing up the injury), so now I just pluck it, which hurts. I just keep telling myself "it hurts to be beautiful".
I can't wax it because of Retin-A (waxing tears the skin right off...I tried it once a few months ago and had a horrible time clearing up the injury), so now I just pluck it, which hurts. I just keep telling myself "it hurts to be beautiful".
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
I find if I lay off the retin-a for a couple of days before my waxing, I'm fine, if not, ouch!

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
Same here, although I use Retrinal and not Retin-A. I stop using it a week before my waxing appointment and have no prob -- I know that's excessive, but I want to make sure my skin doesn't peel off with the wax.

Since my cataract surgery, I am now seeing my skin up close (not a great thing, unfortunately) and I'm seeing tiny hairs that I missed plucking before. I've also changed my makeup color, and I'm getting obsessive about my pores. Somehow cataracts gave me that false airbrushed look and hid my flaws from me!
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
Somehow cataracts gave me that false airbrushed look and hid my flaws from me!
Originally Posted by curls2grow
If there's an upside to cataracts, that's definitely it!

Is it true that retin-a promotes hair growth? I've read that a few places, but don't know what to think. Retinyl palmate is included in a lot of hair products, which makes me think it might be true.

I've had excess hair since before puberty (and long before PCOS was a diagnosis). It's a pain. So this is a stupid fear of mine. Sure, NOW I can maintain but what if I end up demented and in a nursing home. There I'll be. With a beard. Which is obviously much more tragic than the demented and incontinent part.
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
It can be annoying, but I don't think worrying about it helps anything.
Sure, NOW I can maintain but what if I end up demented and in a nursing home. There I'll be. With a beard. Which is obviously much more tragic than the demented and incontinent part.

My husband and I have a pact. If either of us ends up gorked in a nursing home, he will visit me often to pluck my chin hairs, or I will visit him often to pluck his ear hairs. If both of end up demented though, we're screwed. We think it's just too much to ask our kids to pluck our unattractive hairiness.
Is it true that retin-a promotes hair growth? I've read that a few places, but don't know what to think. Retinyl palmate is included in a lot of hair products, which makes me think it might be true.

I've had excess hair since before puberty (and long before PCOS was a diagnosis). It's a pain. So this is a stupid fear of mine. Sure, NOW I can maintain but what if I end up demented and in a nursing home. There I'll be. With a beard. Which is obviously much more tragic than the demented and incontinent part.
Originally Posted by Castella
This is from the 4corners pharmacy website, where I order my retin-a:

Retin-A has 3 main uses

First of all it is used in the topical treatment of acne vulgaris.
Secondly it is used in treating the visible signs of ageing and can diminish the lines on the face and can help in fading age spots.
The third use of topical tretinoin is to help enhance the effects on minoxidil for the treatment of alopecia or hair loss.
Topical tretinoin appears to increase the beneficial effects of minoxidil, and it is thought that this is due to increased absorption of minoxidil through alteration of the stratum cornum barrier.
One study showed a triple absorption with 0.05 tretinoin as compared with a control vehicle.

Does Retin-A assist in hair growth?

Tretinoin is sold under the trademark Retin-A. Retin-A was originally used in the treatment of acne and other skin disorders. Studies have shown however that Retin-A alone or in combination with minoxidil can result in moderate to good hairgrowth in individuals with Androgenetic Alopecia and Alopecia Areata
Retin-A has been shown to effect cell proliferation and vascular proliferation. Studies have shown that Retin-A alone can result in good to moderate hairgrowth. The effect that Retin-A or Tretinoin has on growing hair is even more enhanced when used in combination with topical minoxidil. Dr Adam Lewenberg who markets a combination of minoxidil and tretinoin which is known as the Lewenberg formula carried out studies and recorded results of treatments carried out on patients. Dr Adam Lewenberg treated 484 people with a mixture of topical minoxidil and tretinoin. After two years of treatment "cosmetically satisfying" results were obtained in about 90% of these people. In an article written by Dr Lewenberg about his studies, Dr Lewenberg noted the following.
Unlike Minoxidil which effects on the vertex of the scalp, the combination of Tretinoin and Minoxidil results in hair growth in all regions of the scalp.
Also maintenance therapy requires less frequent and smaller doses of the combined medication.
The third point that Dr Lewenberg noted is that the combination treatment of topical Minoxidil and Retin-A is highly effective in women.

I don't think it's superficial at all to worry about having facial hair. Since I was a teenager, I have always been self-concious about my "moustache". Some of my friends, and the occasional guy would tease me about it. -ouch!- I have always assigned my Spanish and Mexican heritage to the fuzzy lip - can't do anything about that.
Originally Posted by misspam

I've had facial hair probably since my mid-20s. I never thought if it as a sign of ageing. I just have it waxed or use a depilatory for senstive skin/facial hair; part of my normal routine.

It's just part of having dark hair and light skin.
I've had facial hair probably since my mid-20s. I never thought if it as a sign of ageing. I just have it waxed or use a depilatory for senstive skin/facial hair; part of my normal routine.

It's just part of having dark hair and light skin.
Originally Posted by Malory
I have mine waxed now, too. I've used a depilatory a couple of times. It did a good job of removing the hair, and eventhough I don't have particularly sensitive skin, it burned me. What kind do you use? Have you had any problems with it burning your skin? TIA!

Why worry? If you get it wax it off.
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.

Trending Topics