If I can't use RetinA or Renova

Ok, so I am using products from Dianne Yvonne or PFS and everything is going well. Mild cleanser, Exfol, GHK copper, Emu oil on dry patches and sunscreen. Everything going well except the breakouts on my chin. Deep, but small (thank goodness). My MD said they were likely caused by hormone fluctuations.

RetinA and Renova make my skin miserable. They aren't so bad that I want to take major acne medication. But they are annoying and persistent.

Any suggestions for what I could use daily to keep them at bay? The rest of my skin is looking good.
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
Ok, so I am using products from Dianne Yvonne or PFS and everything is going well. Mild cleanser, Exfol, GHK copper, Emu oil on dry patches and sunscreen. Everything going well except the breakouts on my chin. Deep, but small (thank goodness). My MD said they were likely caused by hormone fluctuations.

RetinA and Renova make my skin miserable. They aren't so bad that I want to take major acne medication. But they are annoying and persistent.

Any suggestions for what I could use daily to keep them at bay? The rest of my skin is looking good.
Originally Posted by pigreyhound

You might want to try switching from Exfol to the 2% or 5% BHA. Exfol is very mild, and maybe it's too mild to clean out and exfoliate those stubborn chin pores (I have similar troubles with my chin). Mandelic Acid is another product (it's an AHA) that might help that troubled area.
Thank you! I have a sample of the BHA at home so I will try to use that and see if I notice a difference.

I appreciate your help. I like the other products and my sensitive skin is doing well.
Now to find a sunscreen that won't cause problems! Most of them seem to cause me to react in the sun. I am hoping the new Anthelios will help.
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

The Mandelaic acid (sp?) is 66$ on Dianne Yvonne. Wow that is pricey!
CG since '08.

The Mandelaic acid (sp?) is 66$ on Dianne Yvonne. Wow that is pricey!

Wow...that has gone up a lot since I last bought it. I think I paid $50 about a year ago. It's good stuff though, and since I only use it for spot application, it lasts me a long time (over a year apparently).

Gardenofwisdom.com sells a comparable strength version for $45.50 for 1 oz.
Thanks RCW, I didn't get a chance to look around for other prices. And if it works, it is worth it. Lord knows, I paid a lot more on trips to Sephora on products that didn't work as well as the products I am using now!

I tried putting no Emu oil on my chin, but find I get flaky and dry there if I go without. I wonder if there are supplements I could take to help even out my hormones.

This is all so annoying. The rest of my face looks and feels good! And I can feel the darn things under my skin days before they show. I didn't have this much trouble when I was a teenager.
CG since '08.

You could try differin. It's a retinoid also, but is gentler than retin-a. Its active ingredient is adapalene. I use both (but not on the same night) and am growing rather fond of the differin. It seems to be keeping me clear with no harsh side effects.
The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
I don't know if this will help - but I use the 8% AHA from Walgrens - it's cheap and was suggested to me by a friend from her plastic surgeon. Much,much cheaper than Renova.
between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!
Thanks, Notty. I will see what I can find. My skin seems to prefer BHAs but if I continue to breakout on my chin, something isn't working right.

I tried Differin the past and had too much peeling and irritation. I have rosacea, even though it is under control right now, and many meds for acne really bother my skin. It drives me crazy that I am getting these deep pimples since I am really pretty careful about my skincare.

I wonder if there are vitamins or supplements I should try to even out the hormones? Anyone have success?
CG since '08.

I have breakouts, mostly on my cheeks just above my jawline. My skin tends to clear up early in my cycle, and then break out the last week or so before my period. The problem is pretty clearly hormone-related.

My dermatologist suggested Retin A for me, but I'm worried it will make my skin too dry. I tried AHA, and it seemed to make the problem worse. I don't know if it was just coincidence, but I'm scared to put it on my skin again.

I've looked into supplements, and actually ordered some chasteberry. Now I'm scared to take it. I want my face to clear up, but I'm worried about messing with my hormone levels. One web site warns that women with hormone-sensitive conditions, such as breast cancer, should not take it. What if I have a tumor, don't know it, and taking this supplement would be "feeding" it?

Surely these breakouts will stop after menopause. I feel utterly ridiculous to have acne at my age (46). For me, the possibility of having clearer skin is a reason to look forward to menopause.

I'm interested in learning more about the products mentioned in your op, but I'm having no luck googling the names of the products listed in your post.

Last edited by Verity; 05-30-2008 at 10:27 PM.
I have breakouts, mostly on my cheeks just above my jawline. My skin tends to clear up early in my cycle, and then break out the last week or so before my period. The problem is pretty clearly hormone-related.

My dermatologist suggested Retin A for me, but I'm worried it will make my skin too dry. I tried AHA, and it seemed to make the problem worse. I don't know if it was just coincidence, but I'm scared to put it on my skin again.

I've looked into supplements, and actually ordered some chasteberry. Now I'm scared to take it. I want my face to clear up, but I'm worried about messing with my hormone levels. One web site warns that women with hormone-sensitive conditions, such as breast cancer, should not take it. What if I have a tumor, don't know it, and taking this supplement would be "feeding" it?

Surely these breakouts will stop after menopause. I feel utterly ridiculous to have acne at my age (46). For me, the possibility of having clearer skin is a reason to look forward to menopause.

I'm interested in learning more about the products mentioned in your op, but I'm having no luck googling the names of the products listed in your post.
Originally Posted by Verity
I'll be 51 in the fall and am still breaking out, sometimes like a teenager. Although I do go thru spells where I stay pretty clear with the routine I use. I'm in one of those spells now. My face is actually looking pretty good <crosses fingers and toes>. I'm not sure I think menopause will help. I hear stories to the contrary.

ETA: products in original post: dianayvonne.com and psfskincare.com
The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
Thanks for the web addresses. I'm afraid I'm still confused, though. I still can't find the products you mention.
I couldn't use Retin-A when I was pregnant, so my dermatologist prescribed Azelex. It is supposed to work similar to Retin-A but is more gentle. I did not experience redness or peeling with it. Truth be told, I liked my Retin-A much better, but maybe it would work for you.
Loose botticelli curls and waves
No silicones/no sulfates since March 2008
To help balance my hormones I take alfalfa from www.t-tapp.com Something about the alfalfa balances progesterone and estrogen. If either is too high or low it helps. You have to take 9-15 capsules per day. I try to take 12 in three separate doses throughout the day.
There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
I've been using Avene's Retrinal and I like the results a lot. I started out with the lowest strength (0.025%) and stayed with that for a few months. Then I transitioned to the middle strength (0.05%) by alternating nights with the weaker strength. Now I use the middle strength only. Haven't tried 0.10% (the most potent in Retrinal).

I have never tried Retin-A or Renova; just mentioning the Retrinal as another possible option, since it didn't irritate my skin.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
What is the difference between Retrinal and Retin A? I know RCW said that the GHK works best with Retin A, but my skin just was miserable with Retin A before.

Now it has been a few years since I tried it.
CG since '08.

I am really lucky that I can use retin-a. It has made all the difference to clear up my chin. I am 37 and having more trouble now with my skin then I did at 17! My dermatologist also said the problems were caused by hormones. He perscribed Aldactone (Spironolacatone) to help the hormones. Otherwise, I think that taking chaste tree (Vitex) has been helpful.
What is the difference between Retrinal and Retin A?
I can't speak on the chemical differences, just that Retrinal is made by Avene, is available OTC easily by mail-order/internet and has been much more gentle for my skin than Green Cream. That being said, I am thinking of trying Renova in the lowest strength, when I finish my Retrinal. I want to get the Renova without a prescription tho so that I can save some $, so I'm working on sources for that.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
Another vote for BHA -- Neutrogena, specifically.

I've had recurring hormonal Chin Zits for over 20 years now, and the thing that has worked most consistently is Neutrogena's 2% salicylic acid products.

I found out about them from Paula Begoun's books -- and she's all scientific about the ph-balance, etc., apparently lots of them won't work, etc. The Neutrogena one met her standard.

Unfortunately, they change the formulas periodically -- the current incarnation is called "Oil Free Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment." Pretty cheap, from any drugstore.

Don't know for sure if it still cuts the ph-balance mustard, according to Paula, but it seems to work for me! I only use it on the chin, and I've never had problems (my skin is pretty sensitive, too -- benzoyl peroxide is evil to me).

I've gone from having breakouts every few weeks, or even once a month, to having them only 2-3 times per year.

Hope that helps!

Wurly and proud!
Modified CG since 2008.
I won't tolerate Retin A. I did tolerate Differin well, and it did seem to make a reduction in lines for me, but not enough to keep me shelling out that much $.

I couldn't use Retin-A when I was pregnant, so my dermatologist prescribed Azelex.
If you have leftover Azelex you no longer use for anything else, it makes a good ingrown hair treatment. Of course, most people aren't going to pay 100$/oz or whatever for ingrown hair treatment, but if you have it laying around anyway, why not.

Trending Topics