Have You Found Your Passion?

i know exactly how you feel! only thing is, I have always followed my dreams to some extent. but now, even they don't motivate me. in fact, i find myself resenting doing them. so i do nothing. it sucks. i feel lost in the wilderness. and since i never married of had children, i can't even use that for distraction.
when all else fails...eat
[COLOR="Purple"]
I think sometimes having a husband & children can keep you from finding your passion. You concentrate more on them and forget about yourself.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
i know exactly how you feel! only thing is, I have always followed my dreams to some extent. but now, even they don't motivate me. in fact, i find myself resenting doing them. so i do nothing. it sucks. i feel lost in the wilderness. and since i never married of had children, i can't even use that for distraction.
Originally Posted by BugEyeZ
I could have written this...sometimes, dreams shouldn't come true...
Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
I guess you just have to come up with new dreams. I know, easier said then done.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
This is so amazing. I was visiting a friend and talking with her 15 year old daughter. I asked her what she wanted to be when she grows up and we had a good talk about what she's good in in school, and what she really enjoys doing. I encouraged her to find a way to make money at something she really enjoys doing; to find her passion and make it work for her. She asked me "Did you find yours?" That stopped me in my tracks. I've always been passionate about my faith and have worked in the ministry since I was 20, but most of the time as a volunteer. I'm at a place right now where I'm between jobs, and can afford to be picky about what I apply for. So, now I'm examining my thoughts about my passion. Mostly, I love taking care of people. Now, I need to find a way to translate that into an income. I thought of Tour Guide or docent, Patient Advocate, Event planner, . . . Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
http://public.fotki.com/donnafina/
Pwd curls
3a in winter- 3bin summer
Grey and growing out since 5/2006
Trimmed 9/07
I think it is great that you were talking with her about her passion. I remember doing this with my daughters & they have worked with what they wanted to do for the most part. I never had this with my parents, so I am still searching on my own.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
The things I have a passion for (like food, fashion, travel, the arts) are all things I indulge in as hobbies. None would make enough money for me, and I am also highly suspect of turning a passion into a *job* given the inevitable dynamics of work including competition, routine, high levels of responsibility, etc..

Not sure if your question is more of whether you should spend your work hours pursuing your *passion* or whether it is a question of identifying something you feel passionate about, at any stage of your life, though you are posting on over 40 and dynamics seem to shift with age.
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."

"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
- Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
I'm just talking about having a passion about something. My ex is a pilot & he flew as a hobbie. He now flies Citation jets as a job & he said it takes some of the fun out of it. I think I could see having a passion for travel & photography & being able to do this & make a living also. I think it would still be enjoyable.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
Oh, I definitely agree that it is important to identify passions and to pursue them, as hobbies. Without that life is less full.

Depending on the passion, it might be possible to turn it into a job. All depends on how much money you need and what the field of your passion might be.
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."

"I think that somehow, we learn who we really are and then we live with that decision."
- Eleanor Roosevelt (both quotes)

(taking a break from posting starting late august 2009)
Everyone should have a passion of some sort! It makes life worth living!
I've always loved the beach, my pets, gardening, reading.
The only passion that I get paid to do is gardening - I do landscaping as a second job. Other than that, I like to keep my passions as simply things I love to do just for me.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
g-stringranny, glad you're into the book, it's a good one, I think. It was a birthday gift from a friend years ago and I finally read it recently so glad I did.

I think your point is well made about finding a new dream/passion if the old ones don't pan out or grow stale. That's just life, ain't it? Things are always changing, even your passions.

And also agree with the points made about making your passion your career. I think the idea is to do whatever makes you happy if it winds up making you money, great! If not, well then, no biggie, you'll still enjoy doing it anyway.
My passions (outside of Hubby) are singing (started 8 years ago focusing on classical and jazz), painting (started 4 years ago enjoying watercolor, acrylic and oil) and also gardening (we purchased a house 2 years ago).

Work just enables me to support my passions

Germany Curly

Last Relaxer(Texturizer): Aug. 2005
BC: May 2006

Recently I went back to school to get my B.S. degree which I always wanted to do. I did it in something that I LOVED, Christian counseling. I am not willing to charge people enough to make a living at it so I still have my regular job and then I do counseling in the form of support groups for women and informal one on one short-term counseling. I am SO glad I went and did this. I think it's great to do it and encourage other women to do the same. Life BEGINS sometimes when the kids all leave, I know it did for me, at least a whole new exciting chapter!
3a M iii waist stretched and growing
I feel like there is a void in my life. I think it's because I don't feel passionately about anything. I love my children & grandchildren & my friends, but I don't feel that is enough. I need to find something I'm passionate about. My job is fine, but it's just a job. I think I have always felt that something was missing in my life. At my age I feel I need to find this.
Originally Posted by g-stringranny
YES!! so true! what a great question! i always ask my clients this question and many shake their heads and have no idea. we need a passion about something other than another person to feel like our lives are vital and we are independent and self directed. my passions are numerous:
1-hiking which i do daily with my dogs. i started my own dog friendly hiking group which now has over 1000 on the mailing list http://groups.yahoo.com/group/harrimanhike/
2-swimming in pool, lake and ocean--lake swimming is now happening during passion #1 hiking and i am blissfully happy doing that
3-oldtime music -i sing and play banjo and guitar, travel to fiddlers conventions all summer with husband
4-photography (of all of the passions listed)
5-belgian sheepdogs
6-my work as a psychotherapist, went back to grad school at age 41
7-former passions are chess and marathon running which i no longer do but used to take up all my time. my present passions have been with me for a while now. i am sure as i get older there will be others.
i think doing therapy dog work will be another passion if i lose the ability to hike.
G, i like the travel suggestions people made. maybe you could become a tour organizer! i have a hiking friend who organizes trips for her friends at a very reasonable price. perhaps we could have a naturallycurly.com travel group! another idea is that if you want to be around growing things, investigate relocating to a more hospitable area--tho didn't you just move to a new place and get a new job? the important thing is that you did this before and you can do it again if you want to improve your situation. you are not stuck. you go girl!!
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
Well, I will suggest a practical approach then.
There are 3 fundamental areas:

1- Business (you like to make money).

2- Arts (you enjoy making things - garden, food, etc).

3- Charity (you like helping others).

Now, since by your post I understand you want to focus on a specific passion, choose one area.
Originally Posted by criscat
Cool tips-thanks
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
i just resuscitated my passion! for a while i thought my interests sucked, but the month of july laid it all out on the table for me. lost my job. found out a friend committed suicide. sort of opened up some raw wounds.
made me do some soul searching. made me realize my passions weren't dead, i was just letting old stupid fear get in the way.
so I got cast in a play, was cast in 2 movies, and got a new job.
it's true what they way: when you follow your heart everything else falls in step.
peace!
when all else fails...eat
[COLOR="Purple"]
Work just enables me to support my passions
Originally Posted by curlee4life
That is how I chose to live my life, rather than work being my passion. :-)

I want to collect experiences in this lifetime, not stuff. I left the corporate world almost 2 years ago and fund my passion for traveling by selling stuff on ebay... I can travel whenever and wherever I want. Flew 70,000 miles since then and am so glad I didn't wait any longer, because you never know which day will be your last on this earth.

Trending Topics