Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Over 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 08:15 PM   #1

Default Have You Found Your Passion?

I feel like there is a void in my life. I think it's because I don't feel passionately about anything. I love my children & grandchildren & my friends, but I don't feel that is enough. I need to find something I'm passionate about. My job is fine, but it's just a job. I think I have always felt that something was missing in my life. At my age I feel I need to find this.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #2

Have you ever tried a visualization exercise to figure this out? They can be extremely effective, both in finding out what your passion is and also laying the groundwork to help you realize it. [Because figuring out what to do is a tiny part of it, actually doing what you set out to achieve is the biggest challenge.]

There is a really good one in the book "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom," chapter 15.

I have personally found similar "The Secret" based techniques to be a little too simplistic. The one in that book just walks you through it without making it out to be some miraculous cure-all. No hoopla.

Through this approach, I have found [remembered, really] my passions and I'm in the process of more fully realizing them in my daily life.
wild~hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 10:21 PM   #3

Do you mean a romantic passion?
criscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 01:44 PM   #4

I finally found my passion (aside from spouse and family) - gardening! Nothing makes me happier than learning about plants, planning gardens, redesigning them, plant shopping, digging in the dirt and then seeing and tending the gardens. I especially enjoy trees and shrubs and those select "polite" perennials with some spashy annuals thrown in for drama. Such a wonderful mix of science and nature and art!
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

2poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #5

I agree with the above poster. Gardening is a passion. If you don't have a green thumb though I would recommend maybe taking a night class with a subject that you are interested in.

One of the best decisions I ever made in my life was when I took a beginning photograpy course about twenty years ago. There were fifteen people in the class and all women. It was a wonderful experience and served as a jumping board for other artistic endeavors such as making jewelry, painting, and so forth. I can't imagine my life now without paint splattered on my clothing or a tool in my hands.

I know what it feels like to not have that spark in your life. Journaling was also a great help. No worries...there are so many things out there to discover about yourself!
Old 05-22-2008, 04:06 PM   #6

I decided to make a major career change when I turned 33. I decided to teach high school. And I suppose I have found my passion. Although it can be stressful and I occasionally come home, close the door and wonder what the heck I was thinking....overall, I really love what I do.

I think I realized that making the change was necessary only after years of journaling and thinking and planning.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again but expecting different results....

You have the key to your passion in you. You just need to find it.

Ack, I sound like a bad infomercial.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
pigreyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscat View Post
Do you mean a romantic passion?
No.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild~hair View Post
Have you ever tried a visualization exercise to figure this out? They can be extremely effective, both in finding out what your passion is and also laying the groundwork to help you realize it. [Because figuring out what to do is a tiny part of it, actually doing what you set out to achieve is the biggest challenge.]

There is a really good one in the book "Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom," chapter 15.

I have personally found similar "The Secret" based techniques to be a little too simplistic. The one in that book just walks you through it without making it out to be some miraculous cure-all. No hoopla.

Through this approach, I have found [remembered, really] my passions and I'm in the process of more fully realizing them in my daily life.
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be at Barnes & Nobles on Saturday. I'll look for the book.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2poodles View Post
I finally found my passion (aside from spouse and family) - gardening! Nothing makes me happier than learning about plants, planning gardens, redesigning them, plant shopping, digging in the dirt and then seeing and tending the gardens. I especially enjoy trees and shrubs and those select "polite" perennials with some spashy annuals thrown in for drama. Such a wonderful mix of science and nature and art!
I enjoy gardening, too, but it's next to impossible to grow anything in this desert. When I watch shows on tv about gardens I feel so envious. I would love to live in that climate. I would especially like to grow a vegetable garden. I've tried it here & everything just burned up.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:15 PM   #10

I'm with you there on the void. I'm close to your age and ready to do something different for the next 10 or so years. Just don't know what. I think I could use the help of a career or life coach with the discernment process.

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Quote:
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Suburbanbushbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:41 PM   #11

Well, I will suggest a practical approach then.
There are 3 fundamental areas:

1- Business (you like to make money).

2- Arts (you enjoy making things - garden, food, etc).

3- Charity (you like helping others).

Now, since by your post I understand you want to focus on a specific passion, choose one area.
Old 05-23-2008, 09:59 AM   #12

There are some things that I would like to do that I think could become my passion. It's just being able to do them. I'm very interested in nutrition. I have been since my early teens. Not sure why. Most of my books in my library are about nutrition. I'd love to have an organic garden & also some chickens so I could also have organic eggs. Unfortunately, I don't live in an area or have the yard space for this. My Father always had a vegetable garden & we both enjoyed it. I don't think I would like being a nutritionist, tho'. I'd also like to travel. I'm looking into a trip right now. It runs from September 26 to October 3. You hike through medieval towns in Italy's Tuscanny region and bike down country paths in Umbria between samplings of Italy's best wine. The cost is $2,700 which covers the wine tasting, meals & the hotel stays. The airfare & bike rental is extra. I don't know if I can save for it this year, but I want to at least do it next year. I'd also like to have my own business, but I don't want the regular 9 to 5 job. I'd like to do something online where my time would be more flexible. Wow! looks like I've just set some goals for myself.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:05 PM   #13

See, you just needed to write it down to realize what you wanted.

Good for you. Any steps toward your goals are positive steps. Sometimes it takes more time than you would like but keep moving forward.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
pigreyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:27 PM   #14

I just requested a brochure for my trip!
Old 05-23-2008, 06:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-stringranny View Post
You could use this trip opportunity to maybe exercise a different activity. If you assemble a group to do the tour with you, in general, you get your trip for free. You will have to talk to the travel agency and negotiate. And then assemble a plan to sell your trip.

You talked about several things you would like to do, but, you will have to focus in a specific area at a time and try several things, to find something you love doing.
Old 05-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be at Barnes & Nobles on Saturday. I'll look for the book.
Yeah, check it out. And you may want to just look at that chapter, as the rest of the book is really just health oriented and probably not what you're looking for right now.

The chapter is geared somewhat to a woman who might be having health issues and is trying to take a holistic approach to healing them. But if you can manage to disregard that part, the premise of the exercises is universally applicable.

I found it a very powerful thing to do definitely motivating and inspiring and I've been reviewing my notes from the exercises to recharge myself every few weeks. I also plan to re-do the exercises every six months or so, something she recommends.

Good luck!
wild~hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:51 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by criscat View Post
Quote:
You could use this trip opportunity to maybe exercise a different activity. If you assemble a group to do the tour with you, in general, you get your trip for free. You will have to talk to the travel agency and negotiate. And then assemble a plan to sell your trip.

You talked about several things you would like to do, but, you will have to focus in a specific area at a time and try several things, to find something you love doing.
This trip is done in a group. They also have trips that you can do alone, but I don't feel like doing that. I like to be around people. I talked about several things I would like to do & I am focusing on one I feel I can accomplish.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild~hair View Post
Quote:
Yeah, check it out. And you may want to just look at that chapter, as the rest of the book is really just health oriented and probably not what you're looking for right now.

The chapter is geared somewhat to a woman who might be having health issues and is trying to take a holistic approach to healing them. But if you can manage to disregard that part, the premise of the exercises is universally applicable.

I found it a very powerful thing to do definitely motivating and inspiring and I've been reviewing my notes from the exercises to recharge myself every few weeks. I also plan to re-do the exercises every six months or so, something she recommends.

Good luck!
I would be interested in the whole book not just that one chapter. I can't wait to get it.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:54 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigreyhound View Post
See, you just needed to write it down to realize what you wanted.

Good for you. Any steps toward your goals are positive steps. Sometimes it takes more time than you would like but keep moving forward.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 05-24-2008, 06:09 PM   #20

No...still searching.
Trending Topics[-]hide