Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Over 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 07:17 AM   #1

Default mineral makeup

I've seen mineral makeup mentioned a few times in this thread. I've tried Everyday Minerals matte, and thought it tended to settle into lines on my face and make me look older. It looked especially bad around my eyes. EM Original Glo made my face look shiny and weird. I see that they now have a semi-matte, which I have not tried.

Am I using too much? What am I missing about how to use mineral makeup? Which specific brands/products do you use, and what sort of moisturizer (or sunscreen/moisturizer, or sunscreen and moisturizer combination) do you use under it?
Verity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:56 PM   #2

I use Every Day Minerals and love it! I use the semi-matte; it is the most natural looking on my combo skin. It is tricky under the eye area. I use my concealer very lightly with my kabuki under my eyes. After the foundation it spritz all over and tap the powder into my lines. Also, using the silk dust as a primer 1st helps. It takes some practice but I will never go back to liquid make-up.
Heather0kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 11:20 PM   #3

I've been using Bare Minerals for awhile now & I'm pretty ok with it, but not loving it like I hoped I would. It doesn't settle into my lines, but it tends to show my large pores on my nose. I don't think I can go back to liquid, but I'm into trying some different mineral makeups. I got some samples of meow makeup & really didn't like it.
Old 06-03-2008, 05:31 AM   #4

I really love the Jane Iredale mineral makeup that comes in a compact like pressed powder. You still apply it with a brush, it's just not messy like most mineral powders. It has a nice coverage for me - not too matte and not too shiney. I get it at a salon nearby, but it's also available online. It's not cheap, though. I've had mine just over 6 months and I'm about halfway through the first compact, so at least it lasts. Check it out here:

http://www.janeiredale.com/products/bases.html
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

2poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:21 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verity View Post
I've seen mineral makeup mentioned a few times in this thread. I've tried Everyday Minerals matte, and thought it tended to settle into lines on my face and make me look older. It looked especially bad around my eyes. EM Original Glo made my face look shiny and weird. I see that they now have a semi-matte, which I have not tried.

Am I using too much? What am I missing about how to use mineral makeup? Which specific brands/products do you use, and what sort of moisturizer (or sunscreen/moisturizer, or sunscreen and moisturizer combination) do you use under it?

I think the condition of the skin is very important to making mineral makeup look good. I need to keep my skin well exfoliated and I need to use a primer first before applying MMU, especially on my forehead, nose and arond my eyes, otherwise the MMU settles in my lines and large pores. There are oodles of primers out there, most are silicone based. The cheapest and best one I've found is Monistat Anti-Chafing Powder/Gel. It's in the feminine hygiene section of any grocery or drug store. They sell it for chub rub, but it's got the same ingredients as in most facial makeup primers. $6 for a big tube that will last for a few years. If you try it, remember that a little goes a long way. If you use too much, it will flake. Just a tiny tiny bit.
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 07:46 AM   #6

When I saw my older sister a couple of years ago (she was 52 at the time), her makeup looked amazing. It was a liquid makeup (Prescriptives, I think), and she told me she was using a primer. I tried it (I've forgotten the name--it's from DHC), and I liked the results, but I was afraid it was breaking me out. Does anyone with acne-prone skin use a primer?

Do you also use a moisturizer before the primer? How do you work sunscreen into the mix?

For the last few days, I have been dabbing a little liquid makeup on spots where I need more coverage (reddish/brownish spots from blemishes that aren't active but take forever to fade), and using mineral makeup very lightly on my whole face, except around my eyes. I still use liquid concealer and makeup around my eyes. I think it looks pretty good, though yesterday my 10-year-old dd asked me when I was going to put on my makeup. That's good, isn't it? Isn't the idea of mineral makeup that you won't look like you're wearing makeup?

Maybe I should try EM's semi-matte finish. I am having a hard time finding the right shade for me, though. The Jane Iredale makeup looks interesting. I've found at least one web site that offers samples, so I may try it.

Last edited by Verity; 06-04-2008 at 08:11 AM.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:12 PM   #7

The mineral make-up doesn't seem to bother my skin, but the primer makes me break out (something I don't usually get). Unfortunately, without the primer, the MMU does settle in my lines, so it is not a good fit for me.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:14 PM   #8

What kind of makeup do you use? I've been using Revlon Age Defying, but I'm not crazy about the normal/combination skin formula that I use on most of my face. The dry skin formula, that I use around my eyes, is ok.
Old 06-04-2008, 03:29 PM   #9

Quote:
When I saw my older sister a couple of years ago (she was 52 at the time), her makeup looked amazing. It was a liquid makeup (Prescriptives, I think), and she told me she was using a primer. I tried it (I've forgotten the name--it's from DHC), and I liked the results, but I was afraid it was breaking me out. Does anyone with acne-prone skin use a primer?

Do you also use a moisturizer before the primer? How do you work sunscreen into the mix?

For the last few days, I have been dabbing a little liquid makeup on spots where I need more coverage (reddish/brownish spots from blemishes that aren't active but take forever to fade), and using mineral makeup very lightly on my whole face, except around my eyes. I still use liquid concealer and makeup around my eyes. I think it looks pretty good, though yesterday my 10-year-old dd asked me when I was going to put on my makeup. That's good, isn't it? Isn't the idea of mineral makeup that you won't look like you're wearing makeup?

Maybe I should try EM's semi-matte finish. I am having a hard time finding the right shade for me, though. The Jane Iredale makeup looks interesting. I've found at least one web site that offers samples, so I may try it.

DHC's primer is called Velvet Skin Coat, and it is the bomb...best primer out there, I think anyway. Monistat is almost as good, not quite. DHC is expensive though, so I save it for special occasions and use the Monistat for daily wear.

I am as acne-prone as they come, and I don't break out from silicone primers. Moisturizer and sunscreen can be used under primer. The order would be: moisturizer, sunscreen, primer, makeup.

If you have drier-type skin, you might really like BareFacedMinerals.com (not to be confused with BareMinerals or Bare Escentuals). They have 2 formulas, called Velvet Plush and Velvet Glove that are awesome...Plush is heavier coverage and Glove is lighter. They have Vit E in the formulas, and it glides on like buttah and looks marvelous...not matte and not shiny either. If you're not-so-dry, you can request that the owner make yours without Vit E, which is what I do. It is too heavy for me in the summer (I like practically sheer makeup when it's hot), but I love it the rest of the year. They sell samples in all colors and formulas. The owner, Rhonda, is wonderful and will make color suggestions for you if you ask.
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:43 PM   #10

Thank you for all the information and suggestions, RedCat!

It's nice to know that the Velvet Skin Coat didn't break you out. It is truly amazing stuff. It's also nice to know that there's a cheaper alternative!

Last edited by Verity; 06-04-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-05-2008, 06:34 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves View Post
If you have drier-type skin, you might really like BareFacedMinerals.com (not to be confused with BareMinerals or Bare Escentuals). They have 2 formulas, called Velvet Plush and Velvet Glove that are awesome...Plush is heavier coverage and Glove is lighter.
Thanks for the alert on these!

After using Bare Minerals and the Physician's Formula brands for the past several years, I've just caved and gone back to liquid foundation.
I noticed that my skin was starting to look very dry and flaky as the day went on.
I do moisturize; I just think my skin and body are drying out as I get older!

I bought some Cover Girl TruBlend liquid as a little test and no flakiness. I really never thought I'd go back to a liquid.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:16 AM   #12

Default Skin Type? Oily? Combination?

Verity,

From your posts it seems you have combination skin?

My skin tends to be on the oily side, but I still have fine lines around the eyes.

Here's my skin-care regimen...

I use both Aveeno and Neutrogena products. Though I don't break out often, I find that products with salicylic acid help keep the pores clean without irritation.

At night I wash with Neutrogena Acne Gel Cleanser and then moisturize with Aveeno Positively Ageless Night Cream.

In the morning, I wash with Aveeno Ultra-Calming Cleanser mixed with St. Ives Apricot Scrub to help exfoliate around the eyes. I use Neutrogena Rapid-Clear Gel only in the oily areas. I wait a few minutes before putting on Aveeno Ultra-Calming Moisturizer SPF 15.

OK... Now for the make-up!

I use Exuviance Cover Blend Concealer around the eyes (dark circles), but I only use a little tiny bit. Otherwise, when I put on the Bare Minerals foundation over it, it will settle in the lines. With the Bare Minerals, I find that less is more... just blend blend blend!

There are those that think I'm around ten years younger than my actual 44. I guess I'm doing something right!
KurleeEdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #13

Quote:
What kind of makeup do you use? I've been using Revlon Age Defying, but I'm not crazy about the normal/combination skin formula that I use on most of my face. The dry skin formula, that I use around my eyes, is ok.
I'm still dabbling. I haven't found anything perfect.
Old 06-14-2008, 09:11 PM   #14

I got my sample of Jane Iredale PurePressed Base and think this may be my makeup! I am still using cream concealer and liquid foundation around my eyes, but I'm really liking the JI makeup on the rest of my face.

I think I found a good match for my skin tone, and the base seems to give a nice "no makeup" look without settling into the lines on my forehead and around my mouth. I think the fact that it's not loose makes it harder to get too much on the brush at once, so perhaps it's easier to apply correctly.

I'm now wondering where to find good but not super-expensive makeup brushes. The "Handi Brush" (sorry, I keep thinking of Handi-Wipes!) that JI recommends for this base is $40. Yikes.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:03 AM   #15

Glad you're liking the Jane Iredale - it's the only foundation that I've ever re-purchased. As for brushes, I sucked it up and bought the one that they recommended. I suspect the kabuki brush that is sold by Bare Escentuals would be fine, though. I think that brush can be found at Ulta - and online.
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

Old 06-15-2008, 02:16 PM   #16

I'm using a kabuki brush I bought from Everyday Minerals. It's ok for applying mineral foundation, but it sheds like crazy, and maybe with a flat top like the JI Handi Brush.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #17

I must say, although the JI brush was pricey, it doesn't shed... and is soooo soft!

Old 06-15-2008, 03:26 PM   #18

I've been using Dreamworld mineral makeup and really love it, especially with a bit of her undertone-tinted silk finishing powder mixed right into it to control dryness right when I first apply and then shine later. Since I started using this I've been told my skin actually glows - it's my HG. She has a very good range of super-light shades, too. And she (Ellie) is another business owner that's committed to helping find your perfect shade. I'd definitely recommend the product for anyone that's still looking at different companies. (It's a new company, though, so be prepared for a site that's still a bit confusing.)

I'm with RCW about gently exfoliating and using primer. I have to be careful to not allow any flakies because they really show if I do, and primer makes a huge difference. My skin tends to prefer a light oil serum as primer rather than silicone, though. I just fiddle with something else for the few minutes it takes to sink in.

As far as application, right now I'm very lightly misting my kabuki with just one or two spritzes of water after I have the powder on the brush, and then applying it to my face. It's giving me a really flawless finish, much better than waiting to spritz with water after buffing did. This doesn't work with my natural sable brush, though - just the synthetic. With the sable one the application ended up uneven and blotchy the one time I tried it, and it smelled like wet dog to boot.

I got my favorite synthetic kabuki at Lumiere, and it's excellent quality for a good price - suuuuuper soft. I'll never go back to natural after this. They're out of stock right now, and I'm getting impatient to buy a backup (I'm very tired of waiting days for the darned thing to dry after washing - the only downside to a dense synthetic.) so I think I'll just get one at Essential Beauty Supplies. I've bought fiber optic brushes there before and the service and quality were both very good. Although it's slightly more than at Lumiere, it's still nowhere near $40(!).

But I have to say, if it was me I wouldn't buy a natural kabuki. I think a good synthetic is much better for dry minerals than even the most expensive and high-quality natural brush. The natural ones might be great for other makeup applications but in my experience they're just too rough to be rubbing/buffing into your skin the way you need to with a kabuki, or a flat-top. Natural kabukis also seem to give a lighter coverage than synthetic. Just my 2 cents, though.
Koukla72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 10:19 AM   #19

I did not have luck with mineral makeup (I tried Everyday and Revlon). It just settles in my pores and emphasizes them. I have very good skin with hardly any wrinkles, but mineral makeup managed to make my good skin look awful! I use Paula Begouin's makeup (All Bases Covered) and I absolutely love everything about it; the way it goes on, the coverage, the very light, non-greasy feeling, the match to my skin tone. It's very moderately priced also. I've tried many foundations over the years, and this one is the best by far. I thought about trying another brand of mineral makeup, but I thought, what for? I'm perfectly happy with what I've been using.
Trending Topics[-]hide