Yellowing Grey Hair

So, I noticed the other day my mom has a patch of hair where it's starting to yellow. I mentioned to her that she might want to do an ACV rinse to get rid of it, since that's the part she routinely sprays with hair spray.

She has beautiful silvery salt-and-pepper hair. More salt than pepper, but it's still there. It's fine and straight (obviously didn't get my curls from her...), so she curls it every morning with a curling iron and uses hairspray before and after using the curling iron.

She's done 2 ACV rinses and has used a clarifying shampoo and it's still tingeing yellow. Any ideas on how to get it gone?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
2B...ish
http://public.fotki.com/SunshineGrrl/ pw: drama
Products
This area is under construction as my hair type changed and nothing works well for me. I shampoo, I condition and pretty much have done nothing but chuck my hair in a messy bun for the past oh...year? Yeah, I'm that lazy.

No...going no-poo or CG does not work for me. It leaves me overconditioned and oily in a second no matter what I use, so that's not what's not working.
She might want to try a violet-based shampoo. It will get rid of the yellow - and *won't* turn her hair violet! I like Artec White Violet Shampoo (from L'oreal). It's available at Ulta.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

She has some purple tinged shampoo, but it's still yellow. Anything else?
2B...ish
Products
This area is under construction as my hair type changed and nothing works well for me. I shampoo, I condition and pretty much have done nothing but chuck my hair in a messy bun for the past oh...year? Yeah, I'm that lazy.

No...going no-poo or CG does not work for me. It leaves me overconditioned and oily in a second no matter what I use, so that's not what's not working.
Some people on LHC reported that ACV actually stained their hair a little reddish, if they had light hair. I am not sure how much they were all using, or if they were leaving it in, or what. If she is going to continue with vinegar rinses, perhaps a clear vinegar would be better.
It's probably the heat of the curling iron oxidizing the grey color in the hair leaving it yellow. This happens more with fine hair.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
It's probably the heat of the curling iron oxidizing the grey color in the hair leaving it yellow. This happens more with fine hair.
Originally Posted by g-stringranny
Yup, that would be her hair. Any idea how to get rid of it? Do you just have to cut it off?
2B...ish
Products

Unfortuantely she will have to stop using the hot iron on her hair. She can use a low setting on her blow dryer & use a rounded brush. There won't be as much direct heat. She then needs to use a product like Artec Colorist Shampoo in White Violet. This will help her get her color back. As long as she is using the hot iron on her hair, nothing will help. My Mom has beautiful silver hair. She had the same problem. She has very fine baby hair. Now she will either let her hair just air dry or will use low heat & style with a rounded brush. It took a while, but she got her beautiful hair back to normal. She stopped all heat for awhile, which I think helped her get her natural color back quicker. I hope this works for your Mom.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
Unfortuantely she will have to stop using the hot iron on her hair. She can use a low setting on her blow dryer & use a rounded brush. There won't be as much direct heat. She then needs to use a product like Artec Colorist Shampoo in White Violet. This will help her get her color back. As long as she is using the hot iron on her hair, nothing will help. My Mom has beautiful silver hair. She had the same problem. She has very fine baby hair. Now she will either let her hair just air dry or will use low heat & style with a rounded brush. It took a while, but she got her beautiful hair back to normal. She stopped all heat for awhile, which I think helped her get her natural color back quicker. I hope this works for your Mom.
Originally Posted by g-stringranny
Thank you so much! I'll broach the subject with her. It may not be well received. Why won't my family freaking listen to me with their hair? Okay, I overexaggerate. I mean, she listened to me with the ACV, right? I'll keep you posted on the reaction. She might whack it all off rather than give up her curling iron. Silly girl.
2B...ish
Products

You're welcome & I hope she will listen. It's just a different styling tool that can get her the same results with some practice. My Mom's hairstyle actually looks better now. It has a softer, more natural look. She also uses very little hairspray. I turned her onto mousse.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
You might also want to direct your mom to this website - it has lots of really helpful tips:

http://goinggraylookinggreat.com/
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

You might also want to direct your mom to this website - it has lots of really helpful tips:

http://goinggraylookinggreat.com/
Originally Posted by 2poodles
Thank you! But she can't use a computer. I'll have to "do some research for her" and relay it back to her. Yippee! I love to do research.
2B...ish
Products

I was having trouble keeping yellow out of my white/gray/blonde hair and the Deva stylist I saw actually called Lorraine Massey and asked for some advice!
(wasn't that nice?)
Ms Massey suggested I try using the NoPoo for Blondes (it is blue) on dry hair for awhile if using it on wet hair wasn't quite pulling out the yellow.
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
I was having trouble keeping yellow out of my white/gray/blonde hair and the Deva stylist I saw actually called Lorraine Massey and asked for some advice!
(wasn't that nice?)
Ms Massey suggested I try using the NoPoo for Blondes (it is blue) on dry hair for awhile if using it on wet hair wasn't quite pulling out the yellow.
Originally Posted by pigreyhound
Wow, now THAT'S service! I'll definitely pass that one on. That might work. It's still yellow, but only on the ends. Maybe I'll make her sleep in it (they say to do that for roots if you don't want to go get your hair colored sooner) and wash it out in the morning. Maybe that would pull it out better? Eh, she'll try just about anything.

She did turn down the heat on her curling iron and only uses it on day 2 hair. It's a little frizzier, but I think my next step is talking her into using a light conditioner again. Her hair is so healthy that she only uses shampoo. She claims she doesn't use condish because it makes her hair flat. Maybe I'll go purchase something that won't weigh her down and tell her to try it. I love it when she listens to me! Hair is about the only thing she listens to me about.

Thanks for the idea!
2B...ish
Products

You may want to have her leave it on 15 minutes or so first. I am not sure what leaving the purple/blue on overnight would do.
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
Actually, gray hair has an absence of pigment; the reason hair goes gray is because pigment production has ceased in the follicle. That's why sometimes when hair is beginning to go gray, if the person looks at the individual hairs they can sometimes see parts of a hair that are gray and other parts of the same hair are still pigmented - in that hair follicle the melanocytes are sort of "sputtering" to a halt. I would think it's more likely that the heat of the iron is oxidizing the hairspray (if the ingredients in it aren't just coloring her hair outright) and really baking it into her hair. In addition to using a blue-based shampoo in the way already suggested, I'd say laying off the hairspray until after she's finished with the iron on a particular section of hair, and then not re-curling until after she's washed the spray out, would help a lot more than eliminating the curling iron.
Hmm...good point. I'll have to pass that on to her.

Thanks!
2B...ish
Products

Hate to tell you but as an auburn girl gone gray - my hair isn't nice and white - it's just more yellowy (is that a word). I think it's just the pigment in certain hair types. Thus I highlight and lowlight and get rid of the nasty yellow stuff.........I am so envious of beautiful white hair
between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!
pigreyhound, have you had good results using the Deva Blonde on your hair, with reducing the yellowing? I am thinking of trying Deva Blonde after I use up my Aveda Blue Malva and Silver Fox conditioners.
Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Salon Care Honey Almond, Devacurl OC, Acure Argan Stem Cell+Argan Oil, Mill Creek Botanicals Keratin Repair
Leave-ins: BWC, KCKT, cno overnight
Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG
DT: Kiehl's Olive Fruit Oil Deeply Repairative Hair Pak, Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!

Trending Topics