What's growing?

Ahhhhh..those are beautiful! We have lived here in Phoenix, AZ for 12 yrs. I've never liked the desert. We moved here because of our business. We dream of living somewhere green and cool. We are planning on moving within the next year. Now that I've seen your pics I'm thinking we should look more seriously at PA! I'm so envious! Thanks!
2poodles, your hair is lovely too! Do you find it difficult to deal with the humidity in the summer there? Our highest humidity is 50% and that's when it's raining!
I love my morning glories.

In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**

jeepcurlygurl, those are beautiful!! Makes me feel cooler just looking at them! Thanks!
I think the wildflower seeds I planted went kaput. I think I'm growing weeds instead now.
I'm so jealous of everyone's growing things! It's been rainy so much here in Maine that things are getting a late start. That and a neighborhood cat has decided my nice new raised bed makes a good litter box! grr....If I catch that little bugger.....

On the upside we do have a groundhog living beneath our shed and it has left things pretty well alone I guess it doesn't have a taste for shallots and cilantro. Our tomatoes are limping along, I've got some good fruits coming but the leaves are drying, and the soil is moist too..weird.

I spent most of my weekend waging war upon the japanese beetles! They've been chewing the leaves of my wisteria and blueberries. So now I've got a couple bags of gross beetles on my lawn. Blech!

I've also got to repot my catnip because of neighborhood cat (totally zoned on the silly thing). I'll probably pot it and bring it inside. I LOVE fresh catnip tea. Great and relaxing, warning though...you might get the spins (seriously, had a cup of the fresh stuff once and wondered if I'd secretly smoked something. But I felt great!)

Yay for digging in the dirt!
Well, yay for Maine potatoes! That's where all my starter taters come from.

I need to find time to upload some pictures.

There's a cat pooping in my planted areas, too. Not a darn thing I can do about it, but as long as he keeps the mouse population in check or at least at bay, I won't complain.

We haven't seen Japanese beetles yet, but they are awful. Those and potato beetles (which are truly disgusting in every life stage).

I spent the weekend trimming my boxwood hedge, which is hard for me, because I don't think of it as a hedge. I still remember planting all the individual little (3" high!) baby boxwoods and to me they are still unique personalities. It just seems wrong to lop off great big chunks of new growth. Also, what with trees growing and then disappearing and changing light conditions, some of the boxwood grew bigger and faster than others, so no way is my hedge even. I just trimmed it due to neighborhood harrassment. Busybodies!

My daylilies are going great guns.
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
I don't think I'd mind so much if it weren't pooping on things I plan to eat. My poor little golden beets just aren't being given a chance.
I hear you. Rabbits ate all my beans last year when they sprouted. Chipmunks or rabbits or SOMETHING eat all my edamame beans, year after year after year. Just when they are ripe...I'll come out and find a pile of empty little edamame husks on the ground. The last time I tried to grow beets, the tops looked good, but then when I went to pull them out, there was just a little skin and a lot of tooth marks. How is that even possible? Shouldn't the tops have died?!

I think the animals have somehow flagged my planting areas as a refuge or safety zone, because people right next to me don't have these problems! I've tried sprinking cayenne pepper and dried predator urine, it didn't help at all.

You could maybe lay some chicken wire over your beets though because I think cats don't like to walk on that. Or what about a lightweight remay type fabric or insect barrier?
formerly Castella
Yep, Japanese beetles are gonna be bad here this year. They are my arch enemies, the one creature that I have no problem killing.
It's been a great year for Rhododendrens, roses, daylillies, currents, and the blueberries are gonna be awesome.
Today's foray into the garden yielded curly and flat leaf parsley and some big fat currents.

along with a ton of oregano which I'm drying right now. My house smells divine!
In Western PA
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.

oh my jeep...they look diviiiiine!
The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
Those currants look wonderful! I haven't eaten fresh currants in decades, my goodness. My mother had several currant bushes when I was a child, and I was a dedicated harvester and eater!

Here are some pictures. Most are not from my garden but oh well. (I've also updated my fotki with 2 recent photos which prove that my hair has actually grown).

My mother had blooming azalea and irises the last time I visited.

Here are some photos from the community garden, about 2 or 3 years ago. None are from my plots!

Japanese okra

What I call the house of Squash...some of the Hmong gardeners grow squash like this...

A monarch on a butterfly bush

From my rock garden at home, a few years ago

Lavender and petunias, a few years ago

Have to include the boy!

And for those in Arizona, this is what you are NOT missing (those in Maine, quick, close your eyes!)

formerly Castella
Castella, love the garden pics Thanks! Squash house?! Can you eat the squash? How neato is that!! And love your "little boy". Is he a Schnauzer or a Bouvier(sp?)? That last pic of the snow...we have that but it's called desert sand and of course, never melts!

Jeepcurlygurl, I've never had currants. What do they taste like?

A friend of ours moved from Denver to Dallas this past Jan. In past summers he would e mail me descriptions of the Aspens and the Rocky Mtns. Kept me thinking cool thoughts all summer long. I've missed that this summer. Your garden pics are supplying my green fixes! Thanks!
Lionese, he's a bouvier. We have 2, the other hates being photographed so I don't have many pictures of her. She gets just as much love, just less screen time!

I love Colorado.

There is a Hmong family that makes these temporary kind of open sheds at the community garden. They grow squash up along the sides, and then the squash hang down through the top slats. Later in the year, they string up all their onions and let them cure in the shed.
formerly Castella
Love Bouviers!
The azalea is gorgeous!!

Lionese - currents are kind of sweet and tart at the same time. Similar is flavor to pomegranite. The make great jelly (tho I don't ever make any) and look like rubies in a salad. They're just an old fashioned plant that I like to have around. I let the birds have most of the berries tho this year there are so many the birds have left me loads to eat.
In Western PA

jeepcurlygurl, I've actually seen some pomegranate trees in Phoenix. Years ago when we lived in California I bought some and made jelly out of them. What a mess! My hands were stained red for a week! I could grow things in CA. Not here. I'm looking forward to moving to a state with a better climate for growing fruits and veggies.

Castella, I have a "dopey" Doberman, 85 lbs. and a "dorky" Yorkie, 5 lbs. I love them both. I bet you can't guess which one is the boss!
Oh I would love to live in a climate where I could have a pomegranite tree and an avocado tree. I would be in heaven.

Yorkies are always the boss from what I've seen! : )
In Western PA

All my dobie friends are very laid back and non-alpha. Yorkies, now, live to command!

I like salpiglossis. I've never seen it for sale as a plant, and even the seeds can be hard to get.

This is my tiniest maple (just a foot or so high, mostly because the location won't allow for more growth) with some potted tarragon in the front.

I've got all sorts of lilies going right now. Asiatics and day lilies. The blue blooms are vetch, which just won't quit! It had completely covered everything, but I thinned it out. I always leave some for the beneficial bugs.

There wasn't enough room for the cabbage seedlings, so I stuck them in the alpine strawberry patch.

formerly Castella
Jeepcurlygurl, Can you believe our HOA doesn't allow any fruit, citrus or avocado trees?! They don't even allow cactus! And we're supposed to have a lawn in front and back! Ridiculous! Lawns require a lot of water, which we don't have in the desert. I think I was talking to someone else about this early. And yes, my Yorkie is a little Napoleon! Castella, you're right about the Dobie and me, our personalities are very similar. Very laid back, "don't worry be happy". My Yorkie is more like my husband, God love him. Beautiful garden pics, Castella! What State do you live in? Looks like a mountain garden.
Lionese, your condo association needs to get with the times and embrace appropriate landscaping for your region!

I'm in Wisconsin. The previous owners of our home had some landscaping done with rocks which has its charm but is turning out to be a real pain in the neck. I grow alpine strawberries because they're easy and hardy and don't spread all over the place. Most of them seem to get eaten by birds.

I'd love to join my brother in Colorado but he assures me that it is no gardener's paradise there.

This weekend's harvest: one okra pod! No idea what to do with it. It's just the one. I guess I'll stir fry it with some chard and mushrooms.
formerly Castella

Trending Topics