CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   Over 40 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/)
-   -   What's growing? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/over-40/47205-whats-growing.html)

Snarls 06-04-2008 02:47 PM

What's growing?

I'm not talking about chin hairs.

What's everyone got going in their gardens?

I went on an annual-planting frenzy, mostly the tried and true petunias, alyssum (love), snaps, impatiens and begonias.

My lettuce and peas look to be a nearly complete bust this year. Bummer! I might try some lettuce in pots this year.

I tried some of that organic weed preventer...it comes in a bag, it's basically pelleted corn cob. It is so gross. It started molding and it smells like decomp, also, it killed the plants (established seedlings) near it.

Everything looks so small yet. Maybe that will change with the blast of humidity headed our way.

RedCatWaves 06-04-2008 03:34 PM

I've got oodles of tomatoes planted, and some cucumbers and green beans and lettuces. I want to grow potatoes, but couldn't find any seed potatoes locally. My herb garden (which I'm starting from scratch this year) will have just the basics, mint, parsley, basil, cilantro, chives, rosemary.

Snarls 06-04-2008 03:47 PM

I get my seed potatoes from Maine. Delicious. It's been too cool to get beans and cukes and squash started. The japanese beetles are so bad, I'm going to try this Surround stuff (kaolin clay that mixes with water, spray it on plants) this year and see if it's worth it. Even while planting, I found so many grubs! My milky spore isn't working I guess.

I've got herbs...I never use them. It's pathetic. Basil, chives, thyme, rosemary, tarragon, lavender and sage.

jeepcurlygurl 06-04-2008 07:12 PM

The perennials are all lush and growing so fast. The clematis are going crazy. I don't plant many annuals - just some pansies, nasturtium, and morning glories.

I'm crazy about herbs and dry a ton of them (and freeze alot of pesto) so I have a big herb garden at my ex's house in addition to the ones I grow in pots at my house. Parsley, basil, oregano, and chives are my favorites. I also plant alot of hot peppers to dry and grind into pepper powder.

I just love this time of year.

starina 06-04-2008 07:38 PM

Yes, this time of year is great. The flowers just look their best right now. I've got all my deck containers planted with petunias. I decided this year that I was going to make it easy on myself and plant only petunias. They just are the most hardy flower and do well in containers. Over the years I've tried a lot of different flowers, but the toonies always thrive the best. I've got some tomato plants growing, and my perennial border is looking lush. And of course, I have a lovely crop of that pesky bindweed growing!

lazy loops 06-04-2008 08:24 PM

I planted wildflower seeds & they're sprouting. I really need to get the sunflower seeds in the ground before it's much too late.

2poodles 06-05-2008 04:41 AM

I am passionate about gardening! I particularly love the woodies - trees and shrubs. I've probably got over 150 different kinds of trees in my yard (including over 30 different types of Japanese maples) that I've planted myself over the past 10 years. I've also planted nearly 120 shrubs of all kinds from 12 varieties of viburnums to daphnes to winterberries to witch hazels. And of course I've got lots of sun and shade perennials, vines and a few annuals and tropicals thrown in. I also have a 45' stream spilling into a 40' x 22' koi pond and water garden. My husband has a small vegetable patch - I've claimed the rest of our garden! I wish I could invite you all over for a garden tour!

wild~hair 06-05-2008 05:10 AM

I totally thought this thread was about chin hairs. :laughing6:

Quote:

Originally Posted by starina (Post 602000)
Over the years I've tried a lot of different flowers, but the toonies always thrive the best.

I love petunias, they're so frilly and flirty.

I'm not doing much garden-wise this year some basil, morning glory, chives, moonflower. I share a garden with other people, and one of them is a total busy body who's always getting into other people's business. And I don't like people messing with my plants, so ... I'll probably get a hanging basket at the farmer's market this weekend and call it a day.

I do need to move my houseplants outdoors, including my massive jade and several of its offspring, all of which need a pruning. Dude better not lay a finger on my houseplants.

jeepcurlygurl 06-05-2008 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild~hair (Post 602287)
I'm not doing much garden-wise this year some basil, morning glory, chives, moonflower. I share a garden with other people, and one of them is a total busy body who's always getting into other people's business. And I don't like people messing with my plants, so ... I'll probably get a hanging basket at the farmer's market this weekend and call it a day.

I do need to move my houseplants outdoors, including my massive jade and several of its offspring, all of which need a pruning. Dude better not lay a finger on my houseplants.

Seriously, touching someones plants is grounds for finger removal!

xcptnl 06-05-2008 07:00 AM

All our periannuals are doing their thing! The hydranga has buds all over it! (This is our first spring/summer with all the new plants because we planted them last spring). I moved the jade plant onto the deck. We bought the hangers for either side of the garage and I planted a planter for the front steps. I did impatiens for those. We added a forsythia bush about 2 weeks ago.

I bought some super sweet cherry tomato plants - and did a container planter for them. They are growing like weeds! I think I bought to many though - I might pull a couple out. But they are supposed to have tomatos in 65-70 days!!!

starina 06-05-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2poodles (Post 602277)
I am passionate about gardening! I particularly love the woodies - trees and shrubs. I've probably got over 150 different kinds of trees in my yard (including over 30 different types of Japanese maples) that I've planted myself over the past 10 years. I've also planted nearly 120 shrubs of all kinds from 12 varieties of viburnums to daphnes to winterberries to witch hazels. And of course I've got lots of sun and shade perennials, vines and a few annuals and tropicals thrown in. I also have a 45' stream spilling into a 40' x 22' koi pond and water garden. My husband has a small vegetable patch - I've claimed the rest of our garden! I wish I could invite you all over for a garden tour!

Wow, lucky you. You must have a very large property. Don't know where in PA you are, but have you ever been to the Holden Arboretium in Northeastern Ohio? Great place for trees and shrubs, especially in the spring when a lot of them are blooming.

KookyCurl 06-05-2008 10:42 AM

I've gone plant crazy! Just this year we've planted a deep pink rhododendron, two high bush blueberries, dahlias, an Andromeda, and peonies. I've also FINALLY (!) gotten a wisteria. I LOVE them. It reminds me of my trip to France in high school. I'm so excited! Then I've also got my pansies, gerber daisys, some other daisy type thing, morning glories and my strawberries. They are my other babies.

For veggies/herbs I've got tomatoes, jalepenos, cilantro, rosemary, chives, shallots, golden beets, and will have some cukes.

I love coming home after a long day at work and digging in the dirt, weeding, and watering. It just grounds me.

Cynaminbear 06-05-2008 11:49 AM

I planted petunia in a bed that had lamb's ear, so the lamb's ear babies that I missed are combining with them. The petunias are light purple.
I filled some pots with red gerbera daisies. It's my first year growing them. In the large pots I added some trailing sweet potato.
3 tomato plants, 2 I hope are cherry tomatoes, the other is something large. A guy at church always has too many seedlings so he grows them for a while then gives them away.
A cherry bomb pepper (also guy from church). I can't handle the heat of it, even though it's mild, but last year I made the best chili of my life using one of them. I can give some to my girlfriend who likes hot spices. Maybe I can do what Jeepy will do with her peppers. Must remember to not rub my eyes after cutting them up.
The June strawberries are ripening up, not sure about the everbearing. I don't care about the latter because the June berries blow away anything I've had.
Miss Kim lilac bloomed this week and I enjoy the scent everywhere I go. The bush is outside my bedroom windows so when I have the windows open my room is heavy with the scent.
The perennials are thick and lovely. Purple columbine is in it's glory. Irises are thick, and the new deep purple one I planted 2 years ago is making quite a show. It's so dark purple it's almost black on overcast days.
Here's a picture of the irises in my front yard:

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g6...g/P1010439.jpg

Snarls 06-06-2008 08:51 AM

Awesome!

I can't grow bell peppers to save my life.

2poodles, I am officially not talking to you out of jealousy! All those Japanese maples! I have 3 right now, but I'm not too pleased with them. My favorite one died last year (he was 12 years old). :(

I have a newfound appreciation for petunias. So dependable and low maintenance.

Oh, I'm also growing spanish flag this year due to neighborhood pressure. For reason, I get really luscious, bloomy vines, but only in one location. I think they get extra heat and light bouncing off the white aluminum siding. Last year I didn't grow it and several people on the block complained. Jeez, the pressure.

Cynaminbear 06-06-2008 01:38 PM

I just checked my tomatoes and pepper plant and they're not doing well. My husband decided to burn a bunch of stuff the same week I planted them. I think the fire burned too hot and too close to them. I'm sad. Not only that, but he'd put grass seed in the spot, decided it wasn't growing, and told to plant the veges there as he'd try in the fall. wouldn't you know, as my veges are dying, the grass is thriving. I think I'll just head to a garden center and buy a few to plant elsewhere.
Also just checked on my kids' plants, and the 3 mimipumpkin and 4 or 5 watermelon vines have 3 leaves each. Great, I'm going to be overrun with melon/squash. The seeds were a year old, I figured I'd let them try expecting nothing to grow. That'll teach me.

wild~hair 06-06-2008 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl (Post 602314)
Seriously, touching someones plants is grounds for finger removal!

Yup. And he or his ex who hangs out here a lot already dug up a plant that I was "waiting and seeing" on and planted something else in the container. :shock: I mean, the plant was pretty obviously D-E-A-D, but I had plans for that container!

Whoever it was took the remains of the plant and stuffed it into another, much much smaller container. I thought that was odd. If you're going to dig up my plant, just put it in the compost bin already.

I keep telling myself she must have done it because I like her a lot better and she doesn't live here and isn't as clued in. Easier to forgive.

wild~hair 06-06-2008 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2poodles (Post 602277)

"This post is useless without pictures." :D

VTmom 06-06-2008 05:40 PM

My husband is the gardener in our family. Our peonies are glorious - I absolutely love them. He also has rhododendron, dwarf rhododendron, azaleas, gardenias (they smell divine!), dwarf gardenias, columbine, lilies, pink hawthorns, nandinas, and on and on and on. I'm not good with most of the names, but they all look so beautiful this time of year, along with the yard. The only veggie we plant is tomatoes - love them. Ain't spring grand? :)

jeepcurlygurl 06-06-2008 09:38 PM

Those dark irises are gorgeous!
And yes I'm jealous of all of you with your big yards. (I gave up all that extra work years ago. I get plenty of time in the dirt on paid landscaping jobs plus the ex's gardens. But I'm still jealous!)

I can't grow bell peppers either! Hot peppers out the wazoo but bell peppers - nada!

Here's a couple not so great pics from today.

A chippy who came to visit.
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/3...d605081sq3.jpg

Some clematis and columbine.
http://img353.imageshack.us/img353/1...d605084mq1.jpg

Chives, forget me nots, and my cat Pita.
http://img372.imageshack.us/img372/5...d605083yx7.jpg

Cynaminbear 06-07-2008 08:04 PM

So pretty! Is that a bit of balsam in the middle planter, between the chives and forget-me-nots?
I keep forgetting I want to plant forget-me-nots around here. I also want to add some phlox, spring blooming and creeping. Oh, and a strong vine (that won't take over). Maybe I can have it grow with the hops I'm trying to contain to my shed.
I'm so limited on space but I just cannot stop!