Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Over 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2008, 06:25 AM   #1

Default hair length dilemma

I have noticed that lots of women over 40 aren't afraid to wear their hair long. I think it looks wonderful on many women. I wonder, though, it it just isn't flattering on me. I have a sort of long face and my instinct is that it is dragging my face down.

I think some women just don't look as good with long hair as they do with shorter hair. I saw a recent photo of Gillian (sp.?) Anderson of The X-Files, and she now has shoulder-length hair. Nothing could change the fact that she's beautiful, but I really think shorter hair is much more flattering on her.

Am I going to make myself look older by going with shorter hair (the "over 40 so I must have short hair" syndrome), or should I go with my instinct? And how do I find someone who can cut it shorter without making me look like a granny who just went in for a perm?
Verity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 06:50 AM   #2

I am with you on this! I have no idea how to get my hair in a nice flattering short cut but like you, I think even shoulder length hair on me drags me down.

So - no answer for you but at least you are not alone - this 47 year old needs help too!

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
xcptnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:23 AM   #3

I know that chin length hair looks best on me but I prefer to wear it longer so I can put it up easily when riding motorcycles or going to the beach. I don't really care if it makes me look older, younger, whatever. That's just how I prefer to wear it. And I'm a stubborn old lady so I do whatever I want. : )

Good luck to anyone trying to find someone to do a short haircut that doesn't look like a granny cut. The thought of having someone cut my hair short is petrifying to me. eek!
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, Ojon Restorative Treatment, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
jeepcurlygurl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:35 AM   #4

I think maybe you should look at your texture as well. With my 2a waves, if I were to go that short then I'd have to blowdry it straight because there would hardly be any texture to it and it would look like bedhead. But if you have real curls, maybe shorter is better, I don't know. I do know that curls cut short increase, and waves cut short decrease. Depends on what you want...
lapushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:28 AM   #5

I can't wear short hair, it just makes my uber-thick-coarse 3A hair BUSHY. I've tried it many times over the years...it's just a bush when it's short. Long is better, although I do now like to keep some short layers around my face (not bangs, just layers), which I think keeps it from dragging down my older face.
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepcurlygurl View Post
I know that chin length hair looks best on me but I prefer to wear it longer so I can put it up easily when riding motorcycles or going to the beach. I don't really care if it makes me look older, younger, whatever. That's just how I prefer to wear it. And I'm a stubborn old lady so I do whatever I want. : )

Good luck to anyone trying to find someone to do a short haircut that doesn't look like a granny cut. The thought of having someone cut my hair short is petrifying to me. eek!
I'm with you Jeep! And you're right, it's almost impossible to find a decent short haircut when your hair is curly. That's my main reason for sticking with longer hair, although I did recently get it cut to above-shoulder length.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:21 AM   #7

Mine tends to get curlier as it gets shorter, to a point. When it's extremely short, it curls very little. I think that sort of cut would be flattering on me if I had the money to have plastic surgery on my ears. As it is, they stick out, and I need hair to at least cover the tops of my ears.

I guess what I need is a cut that frames my face a bit. Right now, my bangs are very long, and really do seem do be dragging my face down. I also think I do not need hair below my chin.

I look back at photos from my 40th birthday, when my hair was short, and think I looked great. I was all set to get my hair cut short again, and my husband and 14-year-old son said they like it longer. Yet I look in the mirror and don't like what I see.

::::::::sigh::::::::

Last edited by Verity; 06-05-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verity View Post
Mine tends to get curlier as it gets shorter, to a point. When it's extremely short, it curls very little. I think that sort of cut would be flattering on me if I had the money to have plastic surgery on my ears. As it is, they stick out, and I need hair to at least cover the tops of my ears.

I guess what I need is a cut that frames my face a bit. Right now, my bangs are very long, and really do seem do be dragging my face down. I also think I do not need hair below my chin.

I look back at photos from my 40th birthday, when my hair was short, and think I looked great. I was all set to get my hair cut short again, and my husband and 14-year-old son said they like it longer. Yet I look in the mirror and don't like what I see.

::::::::sigh::::::::

I could have typed that!! But I also have 7 more years on me so I think I am looking at a younger me and thinking I will look that way again if I cut my hair. My SO said I should try short again but I think he is in the same delusional place I am (I cut my hair - I will look 7 years younger).

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
Old 06-05-2008, 12:09 PM   #9

I hear you about wanting to recapture a younger version of yourself, but I wonder if there isn't something more going on. I really do think some of us look better without a lot of hair. Maybe my mom was right after all--she always told me I looked better with short hair. (She passed away when I was 23, so it wasn't that she thought I needed short hair to look young.)

Honestly, I like my hair best when it's wet and doesn't overpower my face. I have small features and my eyes tend to disappear when my hair dries and gets bigger. Even my husband, who likes my hair long, says it looks better when it's "tied back," i.e., off my face. I can't find a look with pulled-back hair that's good on me--it either looks too mom-ish/frumpy, or my ears stick out.

My sister, who also has small features, has always looked best with short hair, even when she was younger. Fortunately for her, her hair is straight and her ears are flat, so it's easier for her to get a good short haircut.

For me, maybe shorter (not super-short, just shorter than the length I have now, which is just below my chin) really is better, no matter what my husband and son say. The challenge now is to find a stylist who can get me something that isn't grannyish.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to Blood_Red

I think you should go with whatever you feel like doing. It will always grow back. I think short curly hair looks fantastic, no matter the age stereotype that goes with it sometimes.

I bet it would look great on you!

<- I am ALWAYS like this!

Last edited by Blood_Red; 06-05-2008 at 12:16 PM. Reason: :)
Blood_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:49 PM   #11

Thank you!
Old 06-05-2008, 02:58 PM   #12

I don't think I'll ever be ready to go the short, helmet-hair, teased and sprayed to *hit route.

I tried a Princess Di cut in the early 90s. I came across a picture of me from then and I looked OLDER then than I do now. :shudder:

I intend to be a long-haired wavy for the rest of my days.
Styling: Flax seed gel, Tresemme Bouncy Curls, Hask Spray-It Curly, Tresemme Curl Locking Spray.
Towel: Fake chamois from the auto dept. Gets out so much water that my hair is starting to spiral instead of water weight pulling them all out into waves.
wavy in neenah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:55 PM   #13

You could always go with a cut that is shorter in the front & longer in the back. You would still have long hair, but with the front shorter it wouldn't drag down your face. I'm not talking about a mullet. I'm talking about graduated layers.
Old 06-05-2008, 11:16 PM   #14

hahahaha Before I got to the end, I was thinking to myself "Does she know she's suggesting a mullet?"
Styling: Flax seed gel, Tresemme Bouncy Curls, Hask Spray-It Curly, Tresemme Curl Locking Spray.
Towel: Fake chamois from the auto dept. Gets out so much water that my hair is starting to spiral instead of water weight pulling them all out into waves.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:05 AM   #15

It's a struggle huh? I know what you mean about pulling your hair up or back. When I pull up my sides and front I think it looks better for my face. I find it's very hard for my type of hair to have good sides. Those are the part that don't curl the best so I am struggling with them and they often end up looking straggy or limp or something. I hope you end up finding a cut that works for you!

Old 06-06-2008, 01:40 PM   #16

If you don't mind spending $14.95, you can get a 3-month subscription to www.thehairstyler.com You upload a head shot and then can try on all sorts of hairstyles. It even gives you the styling tips with pictures. Tells you what face shape and hair type work best for that hairstyle, etc.

They don't automatically renew the subscription either. It's a one time deal unless you decide to renew.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:25 AM   #17

I've seen some absolutely awesome short curly hairstyles. Some are the bob look and they are absolutely awesome. A friend of mine who has one quite often will pin her bangs down if they go off on a tangent.

I've toyed with going the bob route as well because I like them so much! I too have very, thick, coarse hair.

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!
Notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:45 PM   #18

My hair is a longer bob ... to my shoulders when wet, but a couple of inches above it when dry. Although I think the length is more flattering on me than when it was BSL, I do miss my longer hair.
With the summer humidity here, I missing being able to clip it up and have it look decent. When I pull it off my face now, I don't like the look of it.
I do this dance all the time ... let it grow ... I usually cut it after I get it to BSL. I bob it off and then think .... well maybe I should grow it again.
I do know that I need some length. If my hair is too short, I lose a lot of curl.
FrizzBgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #19

I go through the same sort of dilemma. Now, my hair is just below my chin when dry, and I think it's probably THE most unflattering length on me. It makes my face look even longer than it is. It either needs to be longer (shoulder length, at least), or shorter. I can't ever seem to get through this very unflattering phase; I get frustrated and go shorter.

It doesn't help that now that I'm not coating my hair with cones, I see how horribly my hair has been cut. The curl pattern looks simply awful.

I really need to seek out a stylist who can work with my curl, but I've been burned SO many times.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:17 PM   #20
Mar

I have had very short hair and very long hair(2"-2')
I recently cut my shoulder length hair and surprisingly,a lot of people have said I look younger!

I say go for it-there should be no "rules" about age and hair length.

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
Mar is offline   Reply With Quote
Trending Topics[-]hide