Acne/Rosacea/Weight Gain

Yikes - the late 40s have not been good to me.

This is the first year - starting with last Fall - that I look in the mirror and it makes me sad. Now - the getting old part is not really what is bothering me. I have started to get acne/rosacea and I have never been one to have that type of issue. No matter what I do - even using PSF and DY products has helped. I have 3 spots on my face that are just a wreck. Cheek/temple area and one side of my chin/jaw. I also have put on about 10 lbs in the past year and even though I was excercising (which I have never done in my life) the weight does not budge.

Is this my fate now? It has really taken a toll on my self confidence - more so the acne than the weight (I am lucky - I am tall so pretty much I am the only one that notices the weight gain-I hope).

Just had to vent and write it down somewhere.
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
Have you been to a dermatologist? Seems like you ought to be able to get your skin under control. I never had acne 'til my late 30's. I eventually needed a course of accutane which really helped dramatically. Since then a RCW-inspired routine of retin-a every other night alternating with SA 2% every other night, and Vit C each morning along with using PSF/DY cleanser has really helped. I still use prescription antibiotic lotions as needed, but my skin is so much better. I do recommend seeing a derm. for acne and rosacea - at least to get a serious flare controlled.

As for the weight issue, I'm struggling with that myself. I'm 46 and weigh 15 or so more than I'd like. But, to be honest, it's 'cause I eat too much! If I'd lay off the sweets and snacks, I think I'd be fine. I'm working on it, though.

Good luck to you - try to focus on the positives even while you address what you feel are your negatives.
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I'm glad you posted this thread. I needed to call the dermatologist to schedule my laser treatment! I second the seeing the doctor recommendation. But go to someone good, who is on the aggressive side since your unhappy. I've gone to passive doctors that have done little and aren't up to date with the latest in treatment. I found someone who is great. You should have oral meds for flare ups, ointments for daily use and if you want the laser treatments. You deserve to feel good about yourself.
3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
modified CG, since April '07
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams
Roseacea struck me also over the last couple of years and I was very unhappy because I've always had really good skin. You definitely need to see a dermatologist because if left untreated it can get worse (mine was starting to). I was put on a topical cream (for the life of me I can't remember the name right now) and it helped a lot. It was quite expensive, $100 for a tube I think, but it's lasted me well over a year and I still have plenty left. There are all kinds of different treatments, the doc will find one that is right for you.
I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
xcptnl, if you think it's rosacea, you really should see a doctor. Some acne meds (Retin-A, benzoyl peroxide) actually make rosacea worse. There are some antibiotic ointments and even laser treatment that can help rosacea.

I wish I could blame weight gain on old age. I've been prone to gain weight all my life though, up and down, up and down...lately I'm up. Sigh...
Thanks Ladies! I am planning on getting a referral to a derm when I go in for my annual pap/checkup.

I am pretty sure it's rosacea - I have done some reading on it and it appears I fit all the symptoms. Even the eye issues - which I had no idea about (tearing, dryness, grittiness-who knew?).

As 2poodles noted - the weight thing is more my own fault - but I wanted to whine.

Like they say - getting old isn't for the weak.
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
Thanks Ladies! I am planning on getting a referral to a derm when I go in for my annual pap/checkup.

I am pretty sure it's rosacea - I have done some reading on it and it appears I fit all the symptoms. Even the eye issues - which I had no idea about (tearing, dryness, grittiness-who knew?).

As 2poodles noted - the weight thing is more my own fault - but I wanted to whine.

Like they say - getting old isn't for the weak.
Originally Posted by xcptnl
I have had rosacea most of my life. Luckily, it is under control right now. I definitely echo the advice to see a dermatologist. I would recommend looking up the Rosacea Care line and trying that for awhile. My skin responded very well to it and the treatment lotion really helped with the outbreaks.
Figuring out your triggers is a big thing. I am sensitive to retinA products and cannot use them. There are many products that bother my skin, so now I ask for samples before I buy and if there is even the hint of a tingle when I put something on my skin, I rinse it off. I am very sun sensitive and have to be careful of my sunblocks. Sweating in the sun is a recipe for an outbreak.
The weight thing is totally annoying and I know exactly how you feel. But I do believe for me, it is mostly a lack of consistent exercise and eating too much sugar and flour. I do lose weight when I eat carefully, but it is hard to get myself on track. And to stay on track!
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
Sage Skin Care has products to treat rosacea and acne. They will work with you to customize the formulations if you aren't getting results or have a reaction to any ingredients. Their customer service is the best.

I went back to their products a few weeks ago after not using them for a few years and I'm so glad I did.
xcptnl, I'm so sorry you're bummed. A broken-out face really sucks. I hope you can find a good derm and get some help soon. You'll feel much better if you can get that under control. My face is finally starting to get back on track after a vengeful winter. It's amazing what that did to me. I wonder if I'll have to go thru that every year? As far as the weight gain goes, for me, I think it is an issue of age. I was always very thin, not by choice (although I wasn't unhappy about it), it was just the way I was made. Now that I'm older, I've gained some weight in all the wrong places. I'm by no means overweight, just larger than I'm used to seeing myself - it's a little hard. I don't work in the summer, so I'm hoping to work a little on that aspect of myself. My son is getting married in the fall and I'd really like to feel good about the way I look at the wedding. I know no one cares b/c the day will rightfully be about the beautiful bride and groom, but I care and I want to feel and look good.

Good luck to you - how long does it take to get in to see the derm where you're from? Hope it's soon and that he/she is wonderful.
The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
You could have pimples and gain another 10lbs and still be hot! I've seen pictures..

I had my thyroid checked two years ago and the blood work came back that it was under active, so I got dosed with
88 ml of Synthroid. This year, I gained 4 lbs out of the blue when I turned 39, talked to my Dr. got more blood work done and my thyroid was not functioning properly (again), my new dose is 125 ml of Synthroid. Talk to your Doctor, tell him/her everything and see what they suggest.
2b/3a.
For my fellow roseaca sufferers. There was mention of an oil cleansing method for your face in a oil thread that's going on now. Here's the link to the methodology:

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

I ordered some "health food" grade castor oil in order to start this. I expect it end of the week. It seems like it's gentle and supposed to help with acne, too. I'll report back. Am going to the dermatologist for laser treatment next week. I plan to ask him if he knows anything about this. I figure it's worth a try.
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Marie Dean Leave Ins and Curl Creams
I tried this for awhile before I started the RCW routine. I wasn't having a rosacea outbreak, so sometimes what works during the outbreaks and what works when my skin is intact are two very different things. There were times I could only tolerate aloe vera on my skin.

I have to say the Emu Oil and Hydralauric acid combo really seems to help my dry skin while keeping outbreaks down. And it isn't causing any reaction.

I think RCW's suggestion of using simple serums of active ingredients makes a big difference for me also. When you think of all the ingredients in some products, it is no wonder sensitive skin reacts to so many of them.

Make sure when you use the Castor oil you err on the side of less castor oil and more olive (or whatever other oil you are using). I had a bit of irritation when I wasn't careful about the amount of castor oil I used.
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
I tried this for awhile before I started the RCW routine. I wasn't having a rosacea outbreak, so sometimes what works during the outbreaks and what works when my skin is intact are two very different things. There were times I could only tolerate aloe vera on my skin.

I have to say the Emu Oil and Hydralauric acid combo really seems to help my dry skin while keeping outbreaks down. And it isn't causing any reaction.

I think RCW's suggestion of using simple serums of active ingredients makes a big difference for me also. When you think of all the ingredients in some products, it is no wonder sensitive skin reacts to so many of them.

Make sure when you use the Castor oil you err on the side of less castor oil and more olive (or whatever other oil you are using). I had a bit of irritation when I wasn't careful about the amount of castor oil I used.
Originally Posted by pigreyhound
Thanks!
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

I had to laugh when I read the subject line ... Acne / Rosacea & Weight Gain ... Oh happy day ... bet ya the younger curlies can wait to hit 40

I agree with the suggestions about going to a dermatologist. I started to get Rosacea a few years ago. For me, it was caused by drinking too many soft drinks and stress. I don't like the taste of diet soft drinks and don't drink coffee, so Pepsi was my caffeine fix. When I am stressed, I eat crappy food, am exhausted and as a result turn to caffeine more often.

My skin improved dramatically when I cut out all the Pepsi. I still have it occasionally, but I don't allow myself more than one every couple of days. I replaced it with green tea iced tea.

I also switched skin care lines. I used to use Clinique and found that it wasn't working for me. I switched to Lancome and my skin has improved alot; I just wish it didn't cost as much.

I was so determined to get myself back on track when I turned 40 ... I did well for the first year and a bit and then fell off the track again at 42. Now I'm just shy of 43 and am trying to get motivated yet again. I don't know how many times I have to hear that putting yourself first is a good thing if it means taking care of yourself, but I still don't do it. I don't know whether it is just laziness, exhaustion or guilt ... but I don't seem to be able to get my butt in gear.
Type: 3a fine & dense,with normal porosity, terrible product junkie
ROUTINE: LI, enhancer, gel, plop with Curlease towel, serum product (either CIAB or Gel-les'c), clip & diffuse.
Too many favourite products to list ... I finally have my routine that works and alot of products to choose from. My product stash is huge, but well loved !!!
For my fellow roseaca sufferers. There was mention of an oil cleansing method for your face in a oil thread that's going on now. Here's the link to the methodology:

http://www.theoilcleansingmethod.com/

I ordered some "health food" grade castor oil in order to start this. I expect it end of the week. It seems like it's gentle and supposed to help with acne, too. I'll report back. Am going to the dermatologist for laser treatment next week. I plan to ask him if he knows anything about this. I figure it's worth a try.
Originally Posted by kathymack
"
Just thought I'd give an update. I got the oils last week and started the regime. I did about 10% Castor Oil to 90% Grapeseed Oil--it's a little lighter than olive. (I did buy sunflower, but thought I'd use this up first) Yesterday afternoon, I went to the dermatologist for my rosacea" laser treatment. I took a printout of the article on the oil cleansing method. He thought he'd read it over the weekend. He was so impressed with my skin--he thought he'd try it to see about recommending it to his patients! I actually have to go back with my father in law on Friday, so I told him I would bring him some. He thought that the grapeseed oil may be a good choice because of it's chemical make up and that it's a "three chain something." I'll be interested in his opinion.
CG since 3/11/08

SE PA

Hi,

I'm 47 and around 40 I was diagnosed with rosacea - caught it real early and used topical cream - a few years later I worked with a nutritionist and removed wheat, gluten, soy, caffeine from my diet, and then slowly added them back in over a 12 week period. The rosacea turned out to be an allergic reacation to gluten, wheat, and soy. Whenever I eat them now I have a flare up, but other wise, not meds, and my skin is clear. I also use Burt's Bees repair serium where the rosacea tends to flare up - it is essential oils, under my moisturizer - you need a tiny, tiny bit. Good luck!
I think the weight gain is symptomatic of an age related slowing of our metabolisms. I eat less, yet am heavier, than I ever was. It's very hard getting used to these changes.

On the other hand, I look at my SO, and see his loss of hair (he's still cute), or my skinny, withered-looking ex, and think,"It could be worse."

But I sure miss cake.
I think the weight gain is symptomatic of an age related slowing of our metabolisms. I eat less, yet am heavier, than I ever was. It's very hard getting used to these changes.

On the other hand, I look at my SO, and see his loss of hair (he's still cute), or my skinny, withered-looking ex, and think,"It could be worse."

But I sure miss cake.
Originally Posted by ninja dog
I feel your pain!
The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
In an earlier post, someone mentioned the Rosacea Care line. I have to say that I second that recommendation. I've had rosacea for as long as I can rmember. I've gone to the derm doc, but all they did was give me steroids and metrogel. Hated it. The metrogel dried my skin out, the metrocream made it too oily. I tried using Cetaphil to wash my face, but that dried it out. I also had a really bad flaky spot right in between my eyes. UGH!

I read somewhere about the Rosacea care line. I thought I'd give it a try. You can get a sample kit of something like 7 different items for about $25. I got my at the DermStore. This stuff makes my face feel wonderful! I can't tell you how much better my skin feels. I'm not sure how much its lessened the redness of my skin, but I don't flare up anywhere as much as I used to and my skin just looks and feels better.
Hi,
Nice to see your post on rosacea. Also good to know that you have been able to keep it under control.
Acne Rosacea

Trending Topics