Reading glasses

40 and beyond is when everyone's eyes seem to need a bit of help reading the small print. I've worn glasses or contacts since I was 10, but the progressive lense did take a bit of getting used to. MSg, now I have progressive lenses that have a wider mid range section - intead of graduated layers, the different ranges are shaped more like a bell curve. Made a big difference for me when working on the computer or playing the piano. Well worth the extra expense.
Originally Posted by ewenique
I know I need to take them back in and see if they can widen something, but I've just been too lazy. When using the computer, all I can see is about maybe a 1/2" strip right down the middle of the screen. I cannot get used to moving my head. I have to do a lot of high speed editing and I need to just move my eyes to be able to do that. I'll have to get off my butt and take them back in and see if they can be adjusted or else they will never come out of my purse. They were way too expensive to be there instead of on my face.
http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

I went in for my annual eye exam. They updated my contact prescription and now my close vision is even WORSE!! WAHHHHHHHH! And I just don't want to deal with trying different contacts, etc.

Oh well.
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
I knew I needed to admit to glasses when I caught myself asking my kids what the right dosage of medicine was for their weight and age. I said "Go get dad to help you and I'm going to Costco and get some glasses"!
I'm not old, but my eyes are! I wear contacts - one is for distance and one is for reading. I don't know why it works, but it does!
Originally Posted by 2poodles
That's what I've been recommended to do, but I can't get over the idea that I'll either get motion sick or have no and/or horrible depth perceptiohn.
Hair type: Currently 2c/3amii. Modified CG since 05/25/2008. Length is roughly 2" past my collar bone.
'Poo: Dr. Bronner's lemon 'poo bar once a week.
Co-Wash: Suave Naturals coconut condish. Freeman SeaKelp Moisturizing Condish.
Styling: Flax seed gel, Tresemme Bouncy Curls, Hask Spray-It Curly, Tresemme Curl Locking Spray.
Towel: Fake chamois from the auto dept. Gets out so much water that my hair is starting to spiral instead of water weight pulling them all out into waves.
I'm not old, but my eyes are! I wear contacts - one is for distance and one is for reading. I don't know why it works, but it does!
That's what I've been recommended to do, but I can't get over the idea that I'll either get motion sick or have no and/or horrible depth perceptiohn.
Originally Posted by wavy in neenah
My eye doctor gave me a one-month free trial of contacts to make sure I could adjust. That made the whole thing easier....
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

For years, I used what I called cheater glasses - literally had 10 pairs - two in my purse (in case I lost one) one in each room the of house - so I could read anything. I also do fine needlework so needless to add - I needed them as well. I finally bit the bullet and had lazer surgery on one eye to allow me to read things up close. Best thing I've done for myself. I hated, absolutely hated going grocery shopping and reading the ingredients on packages having to pull out my glasses. The items on the hair products was just unbelievable. I'm now a happy camper
Originally Posted by Notty
Interesting. I did not know they could use the lazer to correct close vision....I thought it was only for the near sighted and can't see well in the distance. Only on one eye? That seems like something that would really bother me. It has got my eyes watering just thinking about it.

How does that work? Do tell more!

ETA: LOL yes reading ingredients can be hard! I especially don't like the trasparent bottles with transparent labels.
-3A?
-Fine, ii (almost iii) thickness
-salon pintura and natural sun-made highlights combo
-CG since October 2007, rare occasional low poo.
-Growing it out
click here for fotki pics
-pw: ziggy

Last edited by ZigaZaga; 07-01-2008 at 03:48 AM.
What a timely thread! I usually have half dozen pairs of them around. I get mine at the dollar store or Target and they work fine. I'll get several pair in the various strengths. I had some for reading, some for needlework. I had them scattered all over the house so I didn't have to go find them.

I had an eye exam today and fitting for contacts. Yep, bifocals are on the way. I plan to buy them online. Friend of mine has been getting her glasses and for her family also and has been very happy. And with the price, I can get a couple of pairs. I'm getting monovision contacts. It's sort of cool...she was able to adjust the things where they decide on the vision for your glasses so that it was monovision...one for distance and one for close. So I have an idea of what they are like and happily, my eyes adjust. Of course, my eyes are bad enough that she has to order the trial ones for me to try out for a few weeks. I'm excited.

Interestingly enough, she asked me what strength the cheaters were and she said that, added to my regular glasses, would be about right.
My son wears combat boots (and a parachute).
The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

For years, I used what I called cheater glasses - literally had 10 pairs - two in my purse (in case I lost one) one in each room the of house - so I could read anything. I also do fine needlework so needless to add - I needed them as well. I finally bit the bullet and had lazer surgery on one eye to allow me to read things up close. Best thing I've done for myself. I hated, absolutely hated going grocery shopping and reading the ingredients on packages having to pull out my glasses. The items on the hair products was just unbelievable. I'm now a happy camper
Interesting. I did not know they could use the lazer to correct close vision....I thought it was only for the near sighted and can't see well in the distance. Only on one eye? That seems like something that would really bother me. It has got my eyes watering just thinking about it.

How does that work? Do tell more!

ETA: LOL yes reading ingredients can be hard! I especially don't like the trasparent bottles with transparent labels.
Originally Posted by ZigaZaga
Read all about it - went in for a consultation and the guy said they do it all the time. Since my distance sight is perfect he would just adjust my shorter distance in one eye. Took about 5 minutes - then they told me to read my watch to see the time (haven't been able to do that for a long time) and yup read it. Mind you it took a while for both eyes to work together, but 2 years later I am a very happy camper.

My hubby also had it done 10 years ago. His distance sight was awful and since he was getting older his close one was getting awful. He had one eye fixed for distance and the other eye fixed for up close. Ten years and still working...............costly but effective and well worth it!
between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!
Thanks for replying Notty! That is great to know! I will save this info for "when I get there". But gee, it makes my eyes water just thinking of anyone doing anything in there. How do you stand it?
-3A?
-Fine, ii (almost iii) thickness
-salon pintura and natural sun-made highlights combo
-CG since October 2007, rare occasional low poo.
-Growing it out
click here for fotki pics
-pw: ziggy
Well, I am extremely nearsighted - have been wearing glasses since I was 7 - so since age makes you more farsighted, my vision is actually improving (getting closer to normal) as I get older,and my optician keeps prescribing me weaker prescriptions.

Nyaah!
Thanks for replying Notty! That is great to know! I will save this info for "when I get there". But gee, it makes my eyes water just thinking of anyone doing anything in there. How do you stand it?
Originally Posted by ZigaZaga
They put something on your eye to keep it open, then they spray a little freezing on your eye......and before you think about it....it's done!

I had mine done at Focus Eye Centre in Ottawa - they used the Wave Front or Lasik way of doing it....and I am a happy camper
between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!
Last year I couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to see far away after reading something up close. My eyes just wouldn't refocus. That's when the doc told me I needed bifocals.
Originally Posted by lazy loops
Next step is trifocals! I have had them for several years now. Seems the reading vision was too close and the distance vision was too far in my bifocals for the help I needed when working on the computer (which I do all day long at my job). Next logical step was trifocals. I thought I felt old with bifocals but just the word trifocals makes me feel ancient!!
Originally Posted by munchkin
I'm with you, babe! I am resisting wearing them even tho' I need them. I hate getting older!!
I just got multifocal contacts and really like them. My near vision is not quite as good as with reading glasses, but it's fine for most things, including reading. I love not having to keep up with reading glasses! I've also eliminated the "do I, don't I" dilemma about wearing reading glasses while working on the computer.
I'm not old, but my eyes are! I wear contacts - one is for distance and one is for reading. I don't know why it works, but it does! And I have no-line bifocal glasses for night time. The only good thing is that my teenage daughter went with me to pick out my frames to ensure that they're stylish. She, at least, really loves them....
I tried this a couple of years ago and it never really worked for me. I've been wearing no line progressive lenses for several years and see very well with them. I had my eye appt. last week and am getting new glasses this week. My Rx changed and I wanted to update my frames anyway. My dilemma is this: I fear I may be getting a bit vain because I want to try contacts again. I think my glasses make me look a little bit old. I'd like to be able to wear contacts at least to special occasions or times when I'm "out and about," and really I'd like to be comfortable enough in them to wear them to work every day (I don't work in the summer, so I'll have a couple of months to get used to them). I'm getting a trial pair of bausch and lomb multi-focal contacts. But my optometrist told me not to get my hopes up. He said they were probably the best out there of the multi-focal lenses, but I still wouldn't be able to see as well as I do with my glasses. <sigh>
Originally Posted by VTmom
I have always found that my eyesight is sharper with my glasses. And I do wear my glasses off and on but I probably wear my contacts 95% of the time. I just decided that in order to read the small print while out and about I will buy the reading glasses and deal with it. This way they can make my contact prescription for distance only. When I wear my glasses I can look over them for reading the small stuff. The small print issue was when I wore my contacts and I cannot look 'over' them.
Originally Posted by xcptnl
I tried the monovision contacts also and didn't like them...tried them most of the summer and have gone to distance only and use the cheapo reading glasses....I get them at the dollar store or Target $1 section. I will eventually spring for scripts, but these work really well for now...I have a pair in my purse, at work, on my bedside table, next to my reading chair and on the top of my head right now. Some of them are rimless, some are metal frame, all of them are very skinny half glasses. Lots more fun than the regular glasses. I can see to try them on!

I have to get bifocals, but I will wait a bit...these glasses work fine and if I have to, I use reading glasses with them too. Looks silly but works.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

I think I need reading glasses. I tried cheaters, but I have astigmatism, so they made me nauseous. I will probably need to get them through an eye doctor. Of course, I always need to go the most expensive route.
Minneapolis, MN
I've got it too, but haven't had problems with cheaters. I'm so sorry that you do. I had to work around and figure out the right ones...broke my favorite pair yesterday so I have to get another pair darn! Think I'll get red this time. I have a tiger striped pair.

I've got it too, but haven't had problems with cheaters. I'm so sorry that you do. I had to work around and figure out the right ones...broke my favorite pair yesterday so I have to get another pair darn! Think I'll get red this time. I have a tiger striped pair.
Originally Posted by susancnw
How did you find ones that would work? Just keep trying them and trying them? My hubby has a pair, and they work for about 5 minutes, then it all starts spinning.
Minneapolis, MN
What drives me crazy is trying to read the ingredients of the hair products.
Originally Posted by lionese
ingredients of just about anything - never mind hair products.

i've got a small magnifying glass on my key chain for just those situations.
My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
Weeeell, just got back from the eye Dr. I now have a prescription for progressive lenses. We'll see how that goes.

I also have a follow-up glaucoma appointment in 2 weeks. Apparently, both of my optical nerves are normal, they're just not normal the same way, so they want to take a baseline to determine that one isn't degrading. Woo hoo, fun fun fun.
Minneapolis, MN
For years, I used what I called cheater glasses - literally had 10 pairs - two in my purse (in case I lost one) one in each room the of house - I'm now a happy camper
This is me!! I've had CVS reading glasses all over the house for years now. I got so tired of not being able to find my glasses every time I needed to read something that I kept buying more and I bet have 15 pair - really. Plus, I have 2-3 pair in my desk at work and another couple pairs in my purse. My distance vision was always perfect until this past year and now I have progressive lenses which live in my purse BECAUSE I HATE THEM!! I cannot get used to them. They work great for watching movies and driving, but I cannot use them on the computer at all. Of course, I guess if I got them out of my purse and tried harder, I might get used to them, but I HATE THEM!
Originally Posted by msgiblet
yeah i've needed these since age 45 but i get them at the dollar store! 10-15 prs at a time and leave them all over the place., i use 2.0 to 2.5 strength.
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls

Trending Topics