Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > Over 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 06:08 PM   #1

Default Reading glasses

Ok...when I have my contacts in I cannot read anything little or light words on light backgrounds! It was getting horrible! Last year they tried to adjust my contacts a bit (I need them for distnace) and I hated it and I don't want to try and deal with combo contact lenses so I just dealed with my old eyes.

Well, yesterday I bought magnifying glasses at CVS.

ARRRGHHH - I am officially old (but I still think I am 20 so there!).

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
xcptnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:10 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcptnl View Post
Ok...when I have my contacts in I cannot read anything little or light words on light backgrounds! It was getting horrible! Last year they tried to adjust my contacts a bit (I need them for distnace) and I hated it and I don't want to try and deal with combo contact lenses so I just dealed with my old eyes.

Well, yesterday I bought magnifying glasses at CVS.

ARRRGHHH - I am officially old (but I still think I am 20 so there!).
I wore bifocal contacts for years. They took some getting used to--but weren't too bad. I was too allergic to all of the solutions, so I gave them up.

SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me
kathymack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:34 PM   #3

What drives me crazy is trying to read the ingredients of the hair products. Without glasses the print is so small it looks like tiny lines! With glasses I get that "short arm" disease. Sometimes I find a younger person to help me read it. Of course, it's not because I'm old! Lord no! It's because I work on this damned computer all day. At least that's what I tell myself!
lionese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:40 PM   #4

I haven't hit this yet, but DH has ... and has finally admitted to it. It really hit him last year, but he refused to admit it. He used to use a magnifier the shape of a credit card. I bought him reading glasses for a joke at Christmas ... I've been trying to get him to admit that he needed them, but he always refused.

Well the glasses are being used all the time now.
FrizzBgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:18 PM   #5

Last year I couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to see far away after reading something up close. My eyes just wouldn't refocus. That's when the doc told me I needed bifocals.
lazy loops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 02:37 AM   #6

I haven't got there yet either. I'm dreading it as I just do not suit glasses.
Starmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 04:54 AM   #7

I'm not old, but my eyes are! I wear contacts - one is for distance and one is for reading. I don't know why it works, but it does! And I have no-line bifocal glasses for night time. The only good thing is that my teenage daughter went with me to pick out my frames to ensure that they're stylish. She, at least, really loves them....
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

2poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionese View Post
What drives me crazy is trying to read the ingredients of the hair products. Without glasses the print is so small it looks like tiny lines! With glasses I get that "short arm" disease. Sometimes I find a younger person to help me read it. Of course, it's not because I'm old! Lord no! It's because I work on this damned computer all day. At least that's what I tell myself!
That is what put me over the edge I think. I could never ever read the ingredients. Last night - it was wonderful - whipped out the glasses and VOILA all those little smudges turned into words!

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
Old 06-18-2008, 01:48 PM   #9

Smudges. Yep, you got that right! Guess it's time to put up the white flag and surrender to glasses! Maybe some tiger or leopard print frames will help my ego!
lionese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy loops View Post
Last year I couldn't figure out why I wasn't able to see far away after reading something up close. My eyes just wouldn't refocus. That's when the doc told me I needed bifocals.
Next step is trifocals! I have had them for several years now. Seems the reading vision was too close and the distance vision was too far in my bifocals for the help I needed when working on the computer (which I do all day long at my job). Next logical step was trifocals. I thought I felt old with bifocals but just the word trifocals makes me feel ancient!!
Old 06-18-2008, 04:48 PM   #11

I still only wear distance glasses. I can read tiny print perfectly well, BUT it has to be in the exact right place...the sweet spot. I know bi-focals are coming very soon.
RedCatWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2poodles View Post
I'm not old, but my eyes are! I wear contacts - one is for distance and one is for reading. I don't know why it works, but it does! And I have no-line bifocal glasses for night time. The only good thing is that my teenage daughter went with me to pick out my frames to ensure that they're stylish. She, at least, really loves them....
I tried this a couple of years ago and it never really worked for me. I've been wearing no line progressive lenses for several years and see very well with them. I had my eye appt. last week and am getting new glasses this week. My Rx changed and I wanted to update my frames anyway. My dilemma is this: I fear I may be getting a bit vain because I want to try contacts again. I think my glasses make me look a little bit old. I'd like to be able to wear contacts at least to special occasions or times when I'm "out and about," and really I'd like to be comfortable enough in them to wear them to work every day (I don't work in the summer, so I'll have a couple of months to get used to them). I'm getting a trial pair of bausch and lomb multi-focal contacts. But my optometrist told me not to get my hopes up. He said they were probably the best out there of the multi-focal lenses, but I still wouldn't be able to see as well as I do with my glasses. <sigh>

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
VTmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:40 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchkin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazy loops View Post
Next step is trifocals! I have had them for several years now. Seems the reading vision was too close and the distance vision was too far in my bifocals for the help I needed when working on the computer (which I do all day long at my job). Next logical step was trifocals. I thought I felt old with bifocals but just the word trifocals makes me feel ancient!!
Say it ain't so!

I didn't understand the doc when he told me that. I thought I wouldn't be able to read anything up close, you know, my arms wouldn't be long enough, but I still see things up close just fine.

Last edited by lazy loops; 06-18-2008 at 05:43 PM.
lazy loops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTmom View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2poodles View Post
I tried this a couple of years ago and it never really worked for me. I've been wearing no line progressive lenses for several years and see very well with them. I had my eye appt. last week and am getting new glasses this week. My Rx changed and I wanted to update my frames anyway. My dilemma is this: I fear I may be getting a bit vain because I want to try contacts again. I think my glasses make me look a little bit old. I'd like to be able to wear contacts at least to special occasions or times when I'm "out and about," and really I'd like to be comfortable enough in them to wear them to work every day (I don't work in the summer, so I'll have a couple of months to get used to them). I'm getting a trial pair of bausch and lomb multi-focal contacts. But my optometrist told me not to get my hopes up. He said they were probably the best out there of the multi-focal lenses, but I still wouldn't be able to see as well as I do with my glasses. <sigh>
I have always found that my eyesight is sharper with my glasses. And I do wear my glasses off and on but I probably wear my contacts 95% of the time. I just decided that in order to read the small print while out and about I will buy the reading glasses and deal with it. This way they can make my contact prescription for distance only. When I wear my glasses I can look over them for reading the small stuff. The small print issue was when I wore my contacts and I cannot look 'over' them.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #15

You may need reading glasses. You can get them at any drugstore. When I wore contacts I needed +1.00 reading glasses.

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Quote:
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Suburbanbushbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 05:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanbushbabe View Post
You may need reading glasses. You can get them at any drugstore. When I wore contacts I needed +1.00 reading glasses.
I got 1.25 SBB - they work wonderful!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #17

For years, I used what I called cheater glasses - literally had 10 pairs - two in my purse (in case I lost one) one in each room the of house - so I could read anything. I also do fine needlework so needless to add - I needed them as well. I finally bit the bullet and had lazer surgery on one eye to allow me to read things up close. Best thing I've done for myself. I hated, absolutely hated going grocery shopping and reading the ingredients on packages having to pull out my glasses. The items on the hair products was just unbelievable. I'm now a happy camper

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!
Notty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #18

I gave in and bought reading glasses a couple of years ago (I'm 46 now, 47 in November), and that worked ok for a while, but now I find I'm just not seeing well with my contacts for mid-range vision. The reading glasses give me an odd sensation, though--almost like being under water. For me, they're not a great solution.

I need an eye exam in a bad way. I have absolutely no intention of giving up contact lenses, though. My sister and a couple of friends have opted for monovision lenses, and have adjusted well. I doubt bifocal contacts will work for me, since I have tried many types of lenses and go back to one particular brand that is not one of the major brands.
Verity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:21 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notty View Post
For years, I used what I called cheater glasses - literally had 10 pairs - two in my purse (in case I lost one) one in each room the of house - so I could read anything. I also do fine needlework so needless to add - I needed them as well. I finally bit the bullet and had lazer surgery on one eye to allow me to read things up close. Best thing I've done for myself. I hated, absolutely hated going grocery shopping and reading the ingredients on packages having to pull out my glasses. The items on the hair products was just unbelievable. I'm now a happy camper
This is me!! I've had CVS reading glasses all over the house for years now. I got so tired of not being able to find my glasses every time I needed to read something that I kept buying more and I bet have 15 pair - really. Plus, I have 2-3 pair in my desk at work and another couple pairs in my purse. My distance vision was always perfect until this past year and now I have progressive lenses which live in my purse BECAUSE I HATE THEM!! I cannot get used to them. They work great for watching movies and driving, but I cannot use them on the computer at all. Of course, I guess if I got them out of my purse and tried harder, I might get used to them, but I HATE THEM!

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

msgiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 02:21 PM   #20

40 and beyond is when everyone's eyes seem to need a bit of help reading the small print. I've worn glasses or contacts since I was 10, but the progressive lense did take a bit of getting used to. MSg, now I have progressive lenses that have a wider mid range section - intead of graduated layers, the different ranges are shaped more like a bell curve. Made a big difference for me when working on the computer or playing the piano. Well worth the extra expense.

Unique and Useful gifts & accessories
www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com and www.EweniqueEssentials.etsy.com
ewenique is offline   Reply With Quote
Trending Topics[-]hide