who here is over 45 and at a healthy weight?

And what do you eat on a typical day for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks? And what's your exercise plan, if any? In case you couldn't tell, I'm looking for ideas, tips, inspiration and HOPE!!
Originally Posted by 2poodles
I will be 46 this Saturday. Right now I weigh 123 (am 5'6" tall), but am 5 lbs over my true weight - I had an injury this winter that precluded any exercise for 6 months I put on 10 lbs as a result, still working it off.

I weight train 3 times a week ( I have done this for decades, but recent findings prove this is crucial for woemn in our age range - to maintain muscle mass and sustain metoblic rates). I do cardio 3 times a week for an hour (I used to do cardio 5 - 6 weekly; hope to work my way back to that).

As for eating, I eat lots of whole grains (brown rice, oatmeal, etc), lean proteins (fish, turkey) and LOTS of soy (edemame, soy milk exclusively, etc). I also eat lots of produce (mainly dark cruciferous greens, berries).

I have all the recommended supplements, but am lazy about taking them. I rarely drink, do not smoke but am addicted to coffee (am down from 8 - 10 shots esspreso a day to 3). And I am a beast about my sleep - dont mess with it!

I'm going down fighting!!!
Curls,Coils,Waves & WhatKnot
3miii/My HGs tame bulk&frizz/Give definition w/o crunch
My Photobucket Album
I
I am 5'8" and just put on 10 lbs over the last year - I am currently at 157. I weighed that much when I was 8 months pregnant! My ideal weight for me - when I feel the best is 140-145.
Originally Posted by xcptnl

well i am 3" shorter and about the same weight and I am 58 yrs old. however i hike constantly and swim 1/2 mi a day so i am fit tho chunky. i climbed mt washington (6288 ft) last summer up and down with 3 friends and 2 dogs. it took 11 1/2 hrs including lollygagging at the top and at the hut. I will not exercise inside at all. if you have no place to walk, you can probably find a nice park within a 10-15 min drive. i know i should do my weights but get lazy inside. outside no problem! i ran marathons in the early 80s. THEN i was thin-about 118-120. ah youth.
pics from the white mt hikes are here:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=m42j841.7r53bmb9&x=0&y=7mgfbh&localeid=en_ US
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
banjocurl - those pics are gorgeous - what a beautiful day for a hike! And your curls are gorgeous, too!
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I
I am 5'8" and just put on 10 lbs over the last year - I am currently at 157. I weighed that much when I was 8 months pregnant! My ideal weight for me - when I feel the best is 140-145.

well i am 3" shorter and about the same weight and I am 58 yrs old. however i hike constantly and swim 1/2 mi a day so i am fit tho chunky. i climbed mt washington (6288 ft) last summer up and down with 3 friends and 2 dogs. it took 11 1/2 hrs including lollygagging at the top and at the hut. I will not exercise inside at all. if you have no place to walk, you can probably find a nice park within a 10-15 min drive. i know i should do my weights but get lazy inside. outside no problem! i ran marathons in the early 80s. THEN i was thin-about 118-120. ah youth.
pics from the white mt hikes are here:
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=m42j841.7r53bmb9&x=0&y=7mgfbh&localeid=en_ US
Originally Posted by banjocurl
You look great!

I like walking outside with other people - even hiking (if I have to ) but I get sooo lazy. I grew up in New Hampshire - I know that mountain well!! My mom still lives in northern NH and has a view of the Presidential Range from her front yard!
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
I love the pics of Mt. Washington! We don't have much green of here in AZ. That plus the summer temps around around 112. Hard to hike in that. It's like a scene from "the night of the living dead" once the sun goes down. Everybody comes out of their AC and walks around. Gorgeous hair too! I'm envious!
I can't really answer the OP. I barely hold on to my weight at extra-fluffy level.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
LOL! RCW I love you! That's perfect. Getting closer to extra fluffy. I found a bunch of 5 min workouts at work at MSN.com...I set an alarm on my computer at work and it goes off and I hop up (usually) and do whatever it is I am supposed to do. I'm there by myself 40 hrs a week these days, so I can do lunges up and down the hallway with no one laughing at me. I take one of our dogs 3x week and she follows me up and down the hallway and gets in a lick on my calf every so often...so my lunges have a hitch in them too
My son wears combat boots (and a parachute).
The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

[quote=xcptnl;625274][quote=banjocurl;625193]
I
You look great!

I like walking outside with other people - even hiking (if I have to ) but I get sooo lazy. I grew up in New Hampshire - I know that mountain well!! My mom still lives in northern NH and has a view of the Presidential Range from her front yard!
thanks! wow where does mom live? i am going up again in july and aug, north hut to hut in july, south in aug
Susan suburban NY
3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
CG since 11/11/04
http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
PW: banjo
HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
[quote=banjocurl;626017][quote=xcptnl;625274]

thanks! wow where does mom live? i am going up again in july and aug, north hut to hut in july, south in aug
Originally Posted by banjocurl
My mom lives in a town called Hill (funny huh?) It's very tiny but not to far from Plymouth NH.

You got me thinking about doing more walking. I am near the Quabbin Resv in Mass - which has tons of trails - I am going to pick up a trail map this weekend!
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
I think,technically I am at a healthy weight,but I really need to TONE up a few areas!
I am 5'6" and weigh 140lbs,I wear a size 8.
I weighed around 133lbs from age 18 to 40,then gained a few more
The most I ever weighed was 147,and I was not comfortable with my body at all.
I lost the weight by walking every day and cutting out the snacks/soda.
I am in the process now of trying to eat better.
I have to eat breakfast and I am a cold cereal girl(I love Special K)
My problem is lunch.
Unless I am eating out,I just don't eat lunch!
I am working on it!
"what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
-Mother Theresa
I'm bad. I'm only 23. But, I just had to chime in. I used to be a weight-loss counselor (I helped my dad lose 35 lbs!). It seems to me like the ladies who are having trouble losing those 5-10lbs aren't getting enough whole grains like brown rice, quinoa, oats, millet, etc (these are supposed to make up most of your diet besides veggies). I'm not talking breads really, just these types of whole grains. They definitely help you lose weight. Also, drink a lot of water and Hot lemon water in the morning and night to get rid of water retention. Just thought I'd chime in, I'm gonna leave now lol.
Type: Very Soft 3b w/ 3a/3c thrown in
CG: May 18, 2008
Natural: Oct 2007

Products:
Qhemet's O&H
Giovanni SS & TT
NG
Flaxseed Gel!
Honey
Henna
Fenugreek
Mango

Banned: Suave, VO5, Excessive Oils
Well, I am only 42, so officially not included in your survey, but I am a healthy weight, as is my sister, who is ten years older. I have always been slim, so I've never dieted to lose weight, so I couldn't tell you from personal experience how to lose weight

I basically eat whatever I want. Regarding exercise, I try to workout a 1/2 hour five days a week at home before I go to work, but I don't always get the chance. I don't think I exercise very much compared to some people. I also walk to work. It is about 1 1/2 miles from my home to my place of work. I walk at the speed of someone who doesn't like getting up early but needs to get to work on time, but I don't race walk or anything like that because I can't be smelly and sweaty when I get to work.

One thing I have noticed is that overweight people, of any age, tend to be less active all day long. By this, I don't mean exercising, like going to the gym or running or hiking or playing sports, but just getting off your bum and moving. For example, if I'm in a room and I want to switch a light on, I'll just get up, walk over to the switch and turn the light on. Whereas an overweight person will see someone passing by and ask them to turn the light on for them so they don't have to get up. If I come home from work and realise that I forgot to pick up something at the shop, I'll run downstairs (I don't have a lift/elevator) and go back out to the shop and get it, where an overweight person will just do without.

Or in an office, if an overweight person is filing, they will pull a chair over and sit in the chair and file, while a thin person will just file standing up. Or if they print out a document in a printer that is far from their desk, the slim person will just get up and get it from the printer while the overweight person will see if someone else is getting something from that printer and ask them to get their printout, too.

This is only my personal experience, so if there are overweight people reading this who don't act like this at all, I was not talking specifically about you or about all overweight people.

These may seem like little things, but I would imagine that when added up, all the time spent standing up, sitting down, running up and downstairs, etc. all week long would make up a pretty good workout.

It's funny. There is a sporting goods shop where I live that is located on the first floor of the building (the floor above the ground floor) so there is an escalator that takes you up to the shop. When you pass by, you can see all the people going up the escalator. Nobody ever walks up the escalator; they all just stand there and wait for the escalator to carry them up. I think it's very silly and amusing that people are planning to spend loads of money on expensive sports and exercise equipment to get them into shape and they won't even walk up a flight of stairs.
I'm 50, and according to the US Weight charts, am overweight. So, what I do is pretty much forget the scale and look at measurements and how clothes fit.

My stats:

5'5"
130 pounds
14% body fat

The "weight" I carry is due to muscle. I lift weights 5-6 days per week and do about 8-10 hours of run, bike or swim (I'm a triathlete). I'm also a single Mom, so the majority of my weight training and cardio is in my garage as I have a little one at home.

After a second trimester miscarriage in 2004, I decided to do something about my fitness and help me rise from my sadness over my loss. I started slowly, added weights to my home gym slowly, and diligently went out to the garage every morning after chores and before I woke my daughter up for school. I can now do 7-pullups and tons of situps and pushups.

This year, my 50th year, I've completed a 1/2 Ironman triathlon (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride, 13.1 mile run) and am going to do a marathon in December and a Figure Competition (body composition) in March 2009.

Even at 50, your body responds to exercise. It's amazing what I can do now compared to my 46 year-old body in 2004.

The key is having a strong "WHY". Why do I want to be fit? My reasons were my daughter, my health and the fact that I want to carry grandchildren around even though I'll probably be 70 before I see my first one!

Trending Topics