who here is over 45 and at a healthy weight?

And what do you eat on a typical day for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks? And what's your exercise plan, if any? In case you couldn't tell, I'm looking for ideas, tips, inspiration and HOPE!!
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I wish I could say 'yes'. For me it's not so much the weight - its the firmness. But I would love to hear what others have done to keep at a healthier weight.

I am 5'8" and just put on 10 lbs over the last year - I am currently at 157. I weighed that much when I was 8 months pregnant! My ideal weight for me - when I feel the best is 140-145.
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
I'm 59 and have lost 32 pounds in the last year. It went off slowly but that's good. I went to a nutritionist because I wasn't losing a thing for years. Turns out I was actually eating more than I thought I was (seems that is very common). I am on a 1200 to 1500 calories a day, eating 3 small meals and 2 snacks (not over 150 calories each with less that 19 grams of carbs and must contain protein). Each meal should have complex carbs and protein. I measure everything (that is really key). I eat a lot of non-fat yogurt, salad with almost no dressing, lots of water, chicken, fish and once it a while a very small serving of lean beef.

I exercise about 1 1/2 hours a day, mostly walking either outside on on my treadmill. I lift weights, too, which builds muscle - key to weight loss. I also do yoga but not as much as I'd like. I also use exercise DVDs - Leslie Sansone walking videos are my favorites.

Hope this helps. It's not an easy road but it does work. Zipping up skinny jeans is better than anything tastes.
Laura

Fine, 3A, but a lot of it.

http://public.fotki.com/latetocurls/

PW: Curly
I'm 50 and at a healthy weight. I'm 5'4-5'5 and weigh about 122. But as xcptnl said, for me it's more about the firmness. I don't feel good about myself. I'm "squishy" but I'm just starting to work on that. I decided a couple of months ago that when school let out (I'm a teacher and our last day was a week ago) I wanted to make a concerted effort to shape up a bit, so I'm just starting on that journey. My son is getting married in late sept. and I want to feel and look good for that. I have to honestly say that for me, it's all about the genes. My mother, at 82, has never been overweight and still looks good. My father passed away when he was 66, but until he got lung cancer, he was in good health and in good shape.
The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
I'm at a healthy weight and always have been. My weight doesn't fluctuate, but then again, neither does my food intake.

I eat 3 meals a day and no snacks except for dessert after dinner. I eat whatever I want and never count calories or fat or carbs. In fact, I like pasta and rice very much. I eat moderate portions. I don't exercise at all (bad me).

My typical breakfast is cold cereal, fruit, and coffee w/ milk. Lunch is usually ham or roast beef and cheese on a roll w/ a little mayo. Dinner varies and is sometimes penne pesto or linguini w/ clam sauce or chicken and rice or pork chops and rice or pizza or Chinese take away pork and broccoli, or Mexican take away chicken enchilladas or sushi.

I think the key with food is moderation. I know some women who are much older than I am who are thin and eat bacon, ham and butter sandwiches, ice cream, etc. but in moderate amounts.

Last edited by winifred; 06-19-2008 at 08:00 AM.
I want to be like you, winifred! Okay, spill - what do you eat for breakfast and lunch? And how, oh how, do you avoid snacking?!!
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I want to be like you, winifred! Okay, spill - what do you eat for breakfast and lunch? And how, oh how, do you avoid snacking?!!
Originally Posted by 2poodles
Hi 2poodles, I was editing my post to include what I actually eat when you were typing this. So read my original post for details. As far as snacking, I don't get hungry between meals. Well, sometimes I get a little hungry as dinner time approaches, but I don't eat anything because I don't want to spoil my appetite.
I drink about 5 glasses of water and one diet soda a day but I don't think that has any impact on anything.
I think my culprit is snacking. I wish I liked to walk outdoors but for some reason I just don't. Where I live there are no sidewalks - back road. I joined a gym but I am finding the distance is hindering me from going. I need to check into a more local gym and I think I will do that soon.

If I could afford a treadmill - I would buy one. I just read an article on line and this lady only allowed herself to watch TV when she was on the treadmill. Now I need to be able to afford a treadmill and convince my SO I need to get rid of the guest bed and put it in there!

OK..back to my local gym idea
Central Massachusetts

One good reason to only maintain a small circle of friends is that three out of four murders are committed by people who know the victim. ~George Carlin~

In regards to Vagazzling: They just want to get into the goods without worrying about getting scratched up by fake crystals. ~spring1onu~
Wow, Winifred, I wish I could eat normally and maintain my weight, but unfortunately, my metabolism is not what it used to be. I'm hypothyroid and take medication for that but even so, I just can't eat what I'd like. I treat myself to frozen yogurt once a week but that's about it. The snacks I have between my small meals are a low-cal protein shake or a small piece of cheese and part of an apple. I'm only 5'2" so I don't have a lot to play with but it is what it is. Maybe in my next life....
Laura

Fine, 3A, but a lot of it.

http://public.fotki.com/latetocurls/

PW: Curly
I'm finally a healthy weight for the first time in my adult life. I've lost almost 90 lbs and have kept them off for two years now.

I did it by eating 5-6 times a day, lowering my calories, eating fruit/veg, lean protein, complex-carbs, not processed carbs, and generally watching the amount I eat.

Like latetocurls I too like Leslie's videos. With those there's really no excuse for not working out. (don't mean that to sounds preachy!) Look up Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds on Google.

I also built a weight lifting routine I can do at home with no weights. I use my body as the resistance. Here are a couple great sites that might help:

http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/index.php
http://skwigg.com/index.html

I also found a great book SuperFoods Rx by Dr. Steven Pratt. It's a fantastic book. Whole, clean foods that are so healthy and yummy. I highly recommend it.
< member since 2006. No idea where 1969 came from.

Last edited by eche428; 06-19-2008 at 11:03 AM. Reason: clarity
It's difficult, isn't it? I've been trying to lose 5 lbs. for about two years, but can't seem to do it. It's more a personal thing as I'm a slim person basically. Always have been. It is so true though that the older you get, the harder it is to lose weight. As far as eating, I eat two hard boiled eggs every morning for breakfast. I just eat a tiny smidge of the yolk for flavor, but throw the rest away because of the cholesterol. When I get to work, I eat a generous palmful of carrots (the round chip-style rather than sticks). At around 10:00 am I eat some fruit, whatever is in season. For lunch I'll have a can of tuna in water, sometimes with a few crackers, more fruit, and 1 snack sized tootsie roll for the chewy, chocolate flavor. Sometimes I'll have a sandwich, but I eat the tuna at least twice a week. Dinner is whatever with some kind of vegetables, preferably fresh (last night I made a pepper and cucumber salad with a little lite dressing). Sometimes I'll have more fruit later, or some unsalted, raw almonds or peanuts. I try to eat food that's as unprocessed as possible. I try not to eat any kind of snack food or sweets, although I'm not always strong when it comes to chocolate or ice cream, but I don't overdo.

I work out at home and also walk. I have an elliptical machine and I love step aerobics, although my knees are getting pretty creaky lately! I also work out with light weights. Used to exercise 3-4 times a week, but lately I've been slacking off and maybe work out 2x a week.

To sum it up, I believe that to lose weight you have to cut out snacking and highly processed foods, and move, move, move. If nothing else, take a walk everyday. Start out doing 15 minutes of SOMETHING, set a timer if need be, and work up to 20 minutes than 30 minutes.
I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
I can't really answer the OP. I barely hold on to my weight at extra-fluffy level. It takes all I can do to keep from becoming completely round. Eating low-carb is the only thing that has ever mildly worked for me to lose weight. I lost 60 pounds about 3 years ago by eating low-carb, and have kept it off...for the most part...although I did have to go through rehab last year and take off 30 of it again.

I have a treadmill...it makes a lovely towel rack in my bedroom. The only exercise I can make myself do, is swim laps. I love to swim. I hate everything else. Hate. HATE!

I need to invent a treadmill-powered computer. I think the only thing that would make me get on that dreadmill---er, I mean treadmill, is if it actually powered my internet.
I'm not at my ideal weight. I'm 53 and at 149. I should be at 135. My problem started when my Dr. put me on hormone therapy when I was 49. I decided to stop a year ago because after trying different types and dosages, the side effects were not worth it and I gained almost 20 pounds. I've been working on losing it since. I go to the gym five days a week. Three days cardio, two days weights. Oatmeal in the morn., fruit smoothie in the aft., and dinner. All veggie except fish and eggs occasionally. No snacks. I think my problem is serving size. Although I am seeing a bit of a weight loss. Very gradual though. I'd like to walk more but I live in Phoenix and it is just getting too hot to go outside now. 113 today.
I'm 5'4' and weigh 130.

I've been very lucky and have always been at a fairly healthy weight except for a few times when I was too thin. Last year was one of those times. I quickly went down to 109 due to stress, eating very little, sleeping very little, and obsessive walking.

This year it all went back on just as quickly tho I didn't really change much as far as my lifestyle is concerned. I'm trying to get back down to 120 which is the weight at which I feel my best.

But wow, it's rough this year. Don't know if it's thyroid, age, or what but I can't take any weight off or get rid of this flab. It's not like it is affecting my health, but it still bugs me to be 'squishy' as VTmom would say. : )

I've always eaten small portions, I eat anything and everything in moderation, I love fresh foods and am not that fond of sweets or fatty things. I eat 3 small meals and 3 or more small snacks per day. I try to walk 3 or 4 miles at least every other day. I do stretches and floor exercises at home. But I don't feel much progress going on. Kind of a bummer.

Congrats to all of you who have worked so hard to get to or maintain a healthy weight. That's really what it's all about.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Feb 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
I'm like Winifred - have been the same weight since I was 20. I don't exercise except for occasional gardening, so am not a firm as I would like to be, but then again, I'm 46 and have 4 kids. I agree that moderation and limiting snacks contributes to maintaining a good weight. I usually don't eat after dinner. Breakfast is a thick slice of homemade wheat bread with jam. Lunch is often a salad and a muffin or nuts. Dinner varies, but is usually a bit of meat, veggies, and rice, pasta, or potato. Occasionally I will have a small bowl of ice cream after dinner. If I eat more one day, then I will cut back the next. I see food as necessary fuel, and I only eat when I am hungry. Metabolism must play a part, too. I'm thankful for good genes!
2C wavy with some spirals. CG since April 07. Medium texture and porosity.
COs: Yes to Cucumbers
Stylers: Krystal Ecostyler, KCCC,

Unique and Useful gifts & accessories
www.EweniqueEssentials.artfire.com and www.EweniqueEssentials.etsy.com
I'm 44, so technically you don't want to read my post. I'm an OK weight. I could lose 10 or 15 pounds and that would still be a good weight, but I'm not overweight where I am.

What I changed in the last 10 years is what I eat. I used to eat a lot of processed foods, like muffins and cookies. Also a lot of simple carbs, like regular (not whole grain) pasta and white rice.

Now for snacks I have raw nuts, seeds and dried fruit. I also eat bars made out of almond butter and oats and some fruit. I also tried things like Triscuits and whole grain crackers for snacks but I can't digest them so well anymore.

I try pretty hard to have 2 servings of a vegetable at lunch and again at dinner. First I tried to do fruit, but I can't digest it as well as I used to be able to, so it's vegetables.

I eat 3-4 servings a day of yogurt/cottage cheese/kefir.

I do exercise a lot, which has some disadvantages--it really boosts my appetite. I need to focus on portion control because my eyes have always been bigger than my stomach.
formerly Castella
(my dogs aren't snarly, my hair is)
I do exercise a lot, which has some disadvantages--it really boosts my appetite. I need to focus on portion control because my eyes have always been bigger than my stomach.
Originally Posted by Castella
I've heard other people say that, but in my case, exercise always seems to curb my appetite.
I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
I'm 57, 5'5", and weigh 116.

I pretty much follow the "Fat Flush Diet" during the week, but will eat what I want on the weekends. Since I can't eat at my new job, I have been skipping breakfast & I'm not snacking. I drink a lot of water instead. I don't exercise much & really need to start. My ribs are still healing from my bout of bronchitis, but I plan to start using the gym & lap pool at my apartment complex. I bought a video many months ago called "Shapely Secrets." It's a 7 minute workout that I can probaly do now & will have the time to do it.

At my last job I worked at we ate all day long at our desks. I was 10 lbs heavier. I would bring my own food, but there was too much temptation there, so I would eat what everyone else was eating. So, I guess not snacking & not eating high fat foods, or breads, & pasta helped me lose the weight. I also rarely eat fruit.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
I turn 50 next month and watching what I eat and exercising is something I've always had to do. I'm 5'3" and 100 lbs. Probably too low but it's comfortable for me. I think the biggest key for me is eating at home most of the time. If I'm out and about I always bring a healthy snack to avoid the fast food trap. I always eat breakfast(fiber one cereal, blueberries and yogurt instead of milk) and I eat alot of steamed veggies. I snack on apples and I make my own bran muffins. Dinner is usually some protein and veggies. I walk several times each day(have a active dog) and up until a few weeks ago went to the gym at least 3 times a week. I will start again because muscle is really important to grower older successfully. As I write this it sounds so boring but exercising and eating right is really the only way in the long run. I have kept off 40 pounds for 25 years this way so I understand how difficult it can be.
I wish I could say 'yes'. For me it's not so much the weight - its the firmness. But I would love to hear what others have done to keep at a healthier weight.

I am 5'8" and just put on 10 lbs over the last year - I am currently at 157. I weighed that much when I was 8 months pregnant! My ideal weight for me - when I feel the best is 140-145.
Originally Posted by xcptnl
Hmmmmmmmmm....you sound like me
between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!

Trending Topics