Define "Middle Aged"

I'm 38. I consider myself Middle Aged, although it seems many would disagree.

I just look at the math. If the average life expectancy is 76, then I'm in the middle. I don't think that being in the middle is a bad thing, and don't look at Middle Aged as a bad group to be in.

So, what is Middle Aged to you?
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.
I'm middle aged. I used to assume it was always those "other" folks who were middle aged. You know, the ones 15 - 20 years older than me. Now, at 46, I still like to feel as if I don't have the mind-set of a stodgy middle ager. If there's a subset of middle agers who are active, enthusiastic, passionate about life, looking forward to the future and exploring adventures - count me in with them!
2Poodles Southeast PA
fine, med porosity, normal elasticity
Currently using the following 2 - 3 x/week:
Living Proof Perfect Hair Day suphate-free Poo, cone-free CO and styling treatment, plus KCCC

I'm middle aged. I used to assume it was always those "other" folks who were middle aged. You know, the ones 15 - 20 years older than me. Now, at 46, I still like to feel as if I don't have the mind-set of a stodgy middle ager. If there's a subset of middle agers who are active, enthusiastic, passionate about life, looking forward to the future and exploring adventures - count me in with them!
Originally Posted by 2poodles
Total agree - I was always told that 'older' was 20 years older than you are now. That being said - I'm thinking that there is a new middle age now. Example I think between 40 & 50 is now middle age. Also - since I'm past both...............I'm rethinking that. I still don't feel old and don't believe I look old..............so I'll just go with that
between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!
I don't have a definition for middle age either. I was told it would be at 40 but I didn't feel middle aged then anymore than I do now at 45 which would mean I'd have to live till I'm older than 90.

I feel better now than I did at 30. So I guess the old adage "You're only as old as you feel" is very true. Besides the buzz is that 50 is the new 30. Maybe that will make me middle aged at 60.
Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
I'm 50 and I still don't feel "middle-aged". What is it anyway? With anti-aging technology and lifestyles advancing as they are, I have the opportunity to out live my mother's and grandmother's lifespan. My pet peeve is the add-on to so many sentences that people use with me: "for your age..."

You look great for your age.
You wear fun clothes for your age.
Your skin looks great for your age.
You're in really good shape for your age.

People's point of reference is what their mom looked like at 50 or their grandmother at 60. I long for the day when people can just except/admire everyone for who they are without reference to their age.

I don't anticipate finding my middle age...
3b spirals, fine texture, normal porosity, dense
Picasa:
Link
Deva Low Poo
Suave Naturals Coconut for detangling
Renpure Organics conditioner/leave-in
Homemade FSG
KCCC
Curl Junkie Stuff
BRHG

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.
-wabi-sabi

In my mind, I kind of divide it up into unequal trimesters of life...0-40 is young, 40-70 is middle-aged, 70-90 is old. I consider anyone over about 80 to be "elderly", because there seems to be a change that comes over people at that age that makes them more delicate (I know there are exceptions to every rule...this is just how I see it).
Thanks for the input.

I guess somehow I had just missed the indoctrination that being in the middle was bad or stodgy, or past having fun.

I just look at it as being in the middle of one's lifespan.

The "normal lifespan" is changing along with advances in medicine. But you're right, redcelticcurls, if it's 76, then mathimatically speaking 38 would be middleage. I think those of us who are 40 and above hate to think of ourselves as over middle age! That just sounds so old! It makes me think of my Mom. Yicks! I don't feel that old! At least not until I look in the mirror and there's that old lady looking back at me! I'd cover all the mirrors but how would I admire my lovely curls?! I still have those. Hee, hee.
I just look at it as being in the middle of one's lifespan.
Originally Posted by redcelticcurls
ditto that. I consider myself to be quite a bit past middle age.
In Western PA
Found NC in 2004. CG since 2-05, going grey since 9-05. 3B with some 3A.
Hair texture-medium/fine, porosity-normal except for the ends which are porous, elasticity-normal.
Suave & VO5 cond, LA Looks Sport Gel, oils, honey, vinegar.
http://public.fotki.com/jeepcurlygurl/ password jeepy **updated Aug 2014**
https://www.facebook.com/lifetheuniverseandtodd
Oh my gosh...........me too
between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!
When I was under 40, I thought it was over 40; now that I'm over 40, I think it's over 50!

But if 40's the new 30, then 50's the new 40, so it's all meaningless, right?

I do enjoy calling myself a "Middle Aged Lady," though. Because all the stereotypes evoked by that label are so ridiculous, it makes me giggle. I think if we call ourselves whatever we want, and have fun with it, that's all that matters.

Wurly and proud!
Modified CG since 2008.
I kind of subscribe to the thirds theory so I would also say 40's and 50's are basically middle aged. I don't think there's anything wrong with being in the middle of our life span but "middle aged" does have kind of a stodgy ring to it. I just think times have changed and middle aged no longer equals frumpy or matronly. At least I hope so

M
To me "middle age" is a wake up call that you don't have a whole long life in front of you anymore... if you want to do something while on this earth, better get busy! Don't put things off for tomorrow.

Some call that a "midlife crisis". I just call it wising up before its too late.
Well, I will be 46 next month, so chronologically I am middle-aged.

Otherwise, I look and feel early 30s and no one believes my true age...so I just go with the flow and enjoy each day.

Germany Curly

Last Relaxer(Texturizer): Aug. 2005
BC: May 2006

I guess that I just don't look at the term in an aging manner. How I missed that indoctrination is beyond me, lol. I just went with the math.

In my mind, I kind of divide it up into unequal trimesters of life...0-40 is young, 40-70 is middle-aged, 70-90 is old. I consider anyone over about 80 to be "elderly", because there seems to be a change that comes over people at that age that makes them more delicate (I know there are exceptions to every rule...this is just how I see it).
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
I love the way you think! and I agree with it 100%! I don't think you can put a 'specific age' on 'middle aged', but I like the idea that 40-70 is middle aged (which would mean I'm in the middle of being middle aged .. lol) and anyone over 70 is old/elderly. My parents are 70 and I do consider them elderly -- definitely not "old" though -- my naturally curly headed mom walks 2 miles every day! Which is more than I can say for myself!
Remember, folks, your chronological age is just that, a number! What counts is how you feel inside, and your health and many things about health as one ages once considered inevitable are not. Stay active, curious, and yes, do wear whatever you want, dye your hair(or not)any color you want as well, and don't let anyone try to pigeon-hole you into one group or another. Our society is profoundly age-ist, and tends to think of older people from so-called middle age on as either frumpy, out-of-it, or some other sort of unfortunate caricature. And don't get me started on the programming that mainstream medicine tries to pile on anyone over the age of 40 either. This is coming from a 61-year old artist here who still wears jeans and layered things, enjoys vibrant health, and likes to go dancing and to drumming circles, loves techno music etc.!
health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
I've always thought of middle age as being in your 50's. Not sure why. I heard a news report a few weeks ago about an elderly man who was hit by a car while he was jaywalking. He was 65. I also heard a news report about an elderly grandmother who was 55. Middle age to me is when 1/2 your life is over. I'm 57, so I guess I'm elderly. I definitely don't look or feel elderly or middle aged. I have great health. I've never been on medication except for the rare sinus infection I had recently. Most people my age have high blood pressure, etc. Fortunately, I have none of that. In my 40's I felt I was in my prime. In my 50's, I feel I am still going strong. I really hate that we are stereotyped. I wish news people would just give the age of a person without adding the middle age or elderly to it.
AKA lotsawaves
AKA new2curls
So, what is Middle Aged to you?
Originally Posted by redcelticcurls
It's the reflection I see when I look in the mirror.
The smallest deed is greater than the grandest intention.

I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul. (Invictus - William Ernest Henley)

Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that,
Used to worry 'bout rich and skinny, 'til I wound up poor and fat,
Nowadays I kind of worry where my mind's been at,
Just think I used to worry 'bout things like that. (Delbert McClinton - I Used to Worry from Never Been Rocked Enough)
I'm a young person, but I always thought "middle aged" was someone who was 45-60yrs old. 60-80yrs old was someone who was a "senior citizen." And 80+ was someone who was on the "it's amazing they're so old" category...amazing in a good way! If you live past 80 I say that's an accomplishment...at least in America anyways.
I'm "TechKnockout" now.

Trending Topics