Suggestions for covering grey

Hey ladies,

I am posting this for my mom who is probably a 2a or 2b and struggles with covering grey. Both of us were going to Salon Bohemia in Brooklyn, NY. However, we both feel that the price is high for the results. For example, last visit, I felt like he didn't quite get the roots of her hair and she needed the color again right away.

My mom's hair grows very fast and she can't afford to pay a couple hundred for cut and color every 3 weeks. Anyone have any suggestions? How can you deal with this without breaking the bank? Salon suggestions welcomed as well!

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ladies!!
Why don't you help her color her hair? (sis and I do each other's every 4 weeks) Color by Robert Craig is a very gently, easy to use salon color that you can order online. www.robertcraig.com Check out the Coloring board for tons of info.

Our curly hair (esp color-treated) grabs color more quickly because it's porous, so choose a color 2-3 shades lighter than you think she needs.

It's much cheaper than paying salon costs.

SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring"
3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
* pw: just4curlies
* My Motto: Strand Test!
some hair pics
-- gone, but never forgotten.
I'm allergic to hair dye so I can't have it touch my scalp. So my hairdresser highlights and lowlights my hair to blend in (or out) the white. Because I don't all over colour, and it is just blended, I don't get the grow out line like all over colour. I have that done once every 3 months.
Current Products: CJ Products: CF, DF, CT, SG, AFG, CIAB AND CK is back!
Current Experiment: S&C by D

Curl Fix and Daily Fix are my HGs

Sulphate and cone free since July 2007

wavy/curly fine texture/medium porosity/medium-low density

http://public.fotki.com/whatsercurl/

PW: wavycurly

Seek not to change the world. Rather seek to change your mind about the world.
Hey ladies,

My mom actually bought the Frederick Fekkai at home hair color from Bloomies and I tried it on her last night. It came out pretty good. I used to color her hair, but it was just getting darker and darker and we didn't know why lol. I think I have learned more about color now and that's why this came out better. Also the FF color is very pretty, it really is multifaceted. I've used other color that claimed it was and it wasn't (feria, various Loreal, etc) but this really is. Its pricey but I think its worth it. I'll let u gals knows in a few weeks how well it lasts.

Thanks again,

melanie
I'm allergic to hair dye so I can't have it touch my scalp. So my hairdresser highlights and lowlights my hair to blend in (or out) the white. Because I don't all over colour, and it is just blended, I don't get the grow out line like all over colour. I have that done once every 3 months.
Originally Posted by whatsercurl
Totally agree - this is exactly what I did. I hated going to get my grey covered every 3 weeks. We put highlights in my hair, until my grey grew out. Now I put highlights and lowlights and only have to get it done - like every 2 - 3 months
between Botticelli & Corkscrew curly-very thick, coarse hair
http://public.fotki.com/notty6

When I get to be 'Queen of the World', I will absolish WIND!!!
to cover grey naturally you can use black tea as a rinse

Type; 3c-4a
Prods: TBA

My hair HATES Vo5 & Suave with a passion, b/c of the dmdm hydantoin. Protein sensitive.
I use "Just For Men" to cover a few small patches of grey that I have right in front. I know it sounds funny but it works beautifully and it is absolutely the least mess and hassle ever. They know men won't fuss, they just can't be bothered. Well neither can I. It's good only if you have a few small patches you need to cover. It's like a grecian formula type product that covers only grey. I do it once a month or so and it's only $7. It takes 5 minutes.
Originally Posted by N.D. Aube
That sounds wonderful! Does your hair need to be black for the result to be natural? And how long does it last?

By the way, your hair is lovely!!
Originally Posted by N.D. Aube
That sounds wonderful! Does your hair need to be black for the result to be natural? And how long does it last?

By the way, your hair is lovely!!
Originally Posted by curlygirl81

Tea doesn't work. It only gives the palest of palest of stains, and it doesn't last through a washing.
I have the same issue. I'm a 3C, have to color my hair every 3-4 weeks, and I'm tired of doing so. I wish I could wear my hair lighter (am dark brown) and have some highlights and lowlights... I'm totally clueless besides dyeing it.
What color is your mom's hair, and how much grey does she have? If she has less than 50% grey, relatively evenly distributed throughout her hair, she could use Clairol's Natural Instincts, which is a demi-permanent color that doesn't damage the hair and leaves it nice and shiny. It will blend in greys very well in a lot of cases, especially if the non-greyhair isn't TOO dark to begin with. This is available at any drugstore, and will be far less costly than going to the salon. You could help her out with applying it too, if she doesn't want to do it herself.
health-conscious, visionary artist in transition
I have highlights put in about once every four months. In between, once every four weeks or so, I have just the roots done. It costs $40 (closer to $50 with tip). I'm spending big bucks only a few times a year, but I still keep the gray at bay.

In my experience, Natural Instincts is good only if your hair is really dark. No matter what shade of brown I chose, if I leave it on long enough to blend the gray, it comes out way too dark and harsh. To me, it is worth a bit of money every month to go to a salon to get gray coverage that doesn't look so harsh.

Last edited by Verity; 09-26-2008 at 05:56 AM.
I've been using the Loreal Exellence Creme for the last year or so and it is a bit dark, and I'd like to try Robert Craig but don't quite know how to make the transition to the right color. Any suggestions?
3c
Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
CoWash: VO5 kiwi
Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
Hey ladies,

I have been using Frederick Fekkai (sp?) on my mom and its the best at home color she or I have used. The only thing is that Bloomies is now going to stop carrying it...not sure why but in any event, FF just deposits color. I have seen no lifting of color or brassiness or just plan weirdness. I have never used it on myself b/c all the women on the boxes are white. Not to sound silly, but I know a lot of times they don't work for people with darker pigment ( I had tried some Loreal and Clairol brands not specified for women of color) and it was like putting water on my hair.

In any event, my mom (who *is* white) has more than 50 % grey and is in her early 60's and the color works beautifully for her. I would say near salon results, if not equal to some she has been to...

Trending Topics