The difference between American And British TV

I've noticed when watching BBC America that they don't seem to be as fixated on youth as American TV. For instance, I can't remember the last time "What Not to Wear" has anyone on over the age of 35, but I recall when the British version was on they would routinely feature older women. In general, it seems like they are not so doggone youth oriented like the US media. I don't watch a lot of TV, but I see lots of older people, not just women, featured in their shows, and not all of them fit into the narrow standards of beauty we seem to have here.

Maybe some of you gals from England could tell me if I'm right about this.
I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
I am in Germany, and I can concur; it is not as youth-oriented. We have the BBC here too but I find in general it is not all about being young.

Germany Curly

Last Relaxer(Texturizer): Aug. 2005
BC: May 2006

I love British TV. I was telling my friend the exact same thing a few months ago.

American TV would never have Rosemary and Thyme on prime time unless Thyme loss some weight and both would have to have capped teeth...

And the characters on Midsomer Murders all look real...boo at the Biography channel for not showing MM for almost a year...Now I am behind again...
Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
I love the BBC and after watching it, perceive my own looks and aging as less problematic. Maybe I see more variety of ages and body types and styles on the BBC.

Especially as I age, I appreciate the authentic depictions of women on the BBC. They are lovely women who look like the lovely women that I know rather than the plastic pseudo-adolescents that the American media seems to prefer.

Where I live, we also get Canadian television which tends to be more like the BBC.
Growing out my curls. White hair, fine to medium texture but a lot of it. Low to medium porosity. Botticelli curls -- 2c/3a mix. My hair loves protein.
CG since '08.

Cleanser: (Summer) Beautiful Curls Nurturing shampoo or Kathymack's soap bars
Co-wash: TJ Nourish
Protein: CJ Repair Me
Styling products: (Summer) BB Styling Mudd
Gel: (Summer) BRHG, Upper Management gel.
Yes, the BBC really seems to have a cross section of people, not just the young, skinny beautiful types that American TV seems to worship. The Barbie and Ken alternate reality of US TV just gets so tiresome after a while.
I have 3A hair. I've discovered Jessicurl shampoo and Too Shea conditioner and I'm thrilled! Long-time LA Looks sport gel user.
That's funny because while they're less youth oriented, they're a lot more comfortable with and less uptight about sex. British tv is a lot racier than ours. They have all the fun....
3c
Poo: KBB shampoo bar or Shikai moisturizing shampoo
CoWash: VO5 kiwi
Cond: Robert Craig, Tresemme Natural, or Fekkai Shea Butter
Leave in/Styling: Grapeseed oil, KBB milk, KCCC, and Aveda Confixor
We love British mysteries...and hubby says that he likes the women on there better...they look like women. We're waiting for the last season of Foyle's War to come in...excellent show. I do want all 5 seasons....and the clothing...all the men look so yummy in the 40s clothing and hats......
My son wears combat boots (and a parachute).
The older I get, the less patience I have with cleverness. Thomas Sowell.
Resolve to perform what you ought. Perform without fail what you resolve. Benjamin Franklin.
Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first. Mark Twain.

That's funny because while they're less youth oriented, they're a lot more comfortable with and less uptight about sex. British tv is a lot racier than ours. They have all the fun....
Originally Posted by mandyv

You said it all!! Have any of you seen the British version of "How To Look Good Naked"? All sizes, shapes ,and ages are celebrated on that show...women who look like women, not stick figures. They show that curves are desirable, not something to be avoided like the plague, as what is portrayed in the US.
I LOVE my curls...finally!
3b

Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner
VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Conditioner
Boots Curl Creme - Pink
Herbal Essences Set Me Up Gel
Herbal Essences Set Me Up Spray Gel
L'Oreal Pro Nutri Gloss Conditioner for curly hair
Shampoo Bars
I haven't seen the British version of How to Look Good Naked. I do prefer the British version of What Not to Wear. The British version more variety in ages and sizes.

I am tired of the American How to Look Good Naked because he does the same body shape week after week after week. Personally, some of the afters are not that great looking. And what is with using all of the fake hair?
Life shrinks or expands according to one's courage. Anais Nin
The British (original) version of The Office is good!

And I agree, they don't seem to be fixated on looks, which can be a good or bad thing.
I used to love the bbca channel...I loved the fact that the women looked like women and they weren't so uptight and fixated on their looks every five minutes...

Trending Topics